12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaughn picked up a UNC offer tonight after dropping 34 and 10.

per Shooter:

Word is Minnesota junior prep basketball stars Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis, all of whom the Gophers are recruiting in earnest, were impressed not only with the Gophers' victory over Indiana but especially with the spectators' exuberance when they rushed onto the Williams Arena floor to celebrate.

Gophers players also were impressed with the fans' display of excitement.

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_22687698/shooter-now-jack-hannahan-will-be-utility-player

Go Gophers!!

Showtime will be at today's game to support friend, and mentor Rodney Williams on senior day.

Vaugh, his coach and three others were right behind the bench. Both Kaler and Teague stopped by to chat and after a big play by Rodney, Vince turned around and gave him a point. Good game for Vaughn to be at and the crowd gave him a nice "WE WANT VAUGHN" chant which was unfortunately drown out after a few seconds by an Old Dutch chips promo during a timeout.

Go Gophers!!

Boy, the U really knows how to orchestrate these things!

If we can get Vaughn in 2014 I will consider the class a huge success, even if we don't get Tyus or Reid. Our team would be very, very interesting with a Dre, Coleman, Vaughn 1-2-3. Then add in a legit Buggs and senior Eliason and we may be talking something special.

If we can get Vaughn in 2014 I will consider the class a huge success, even if we don't get Tyus or Reid. Our team would be very, very interesting with a Dre, Coleman, Vaughn 1-2-3. Then add in a legit Buggs and senior Eliason and we may be talking something special.

Not to mention Wally will be a junior, and Ellis and Foster will be sophs. Mo might even be pretty good by then.

per Shooter:

It still looks like Kentucky for Apple Valley's Tyus Jones, basketball insiders say. Meanwhile, word is North Carolina has moved in front for Cooper's Rashad Vaughn, who attended Saturday's Minnesota-Penn State game, and Michigan State could be a strong consideration for DeLaSalle's Reid Travis if he chooses basketball over football. All are juniors.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22706100/charley-walters-gophers-mike-rallis-eager-show-hes

Go Gophers!!

Not to mention Wally will be a junior, and Ellis and Foster will be sophs. Mo might even be pretty good by then.

Let's not get carried away here... None of them have proven ANYTHING yet.

We do know that Andre, Joe, and EE will be steadies in the lineup.

per Shooter:

It still looks like Kentucky for Apple Valley's Tyus Jones, basketball insiders say. Meanwhile, word is North Carolina has moved in front for Cooper's Rashad Vaughn, who attended Saturday's Minnesota-Penn State game, and Michigan State could be a strong consideration for DeLaSalle's Reid Travis if he chooses basketball over football. All are juniors.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22706100/charley-walters-gophers-mike-rallis-eager-show-hes

Go Gophers!!

Charley Walters is now OFFICIALY TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS! Gosh, he knows nothing, and now he's referring to 'insiders' who know about as much as we do about the leading school for each player. He should be fired just for this article...

Until these players announce their decision speculation by the press is about as reliable as reading the tea leaves.

Since 1 of my kids (who is 5) always pretends to be Rashad playing basketball, i decided to go take him and his brother courtside at halftime yesterday to say hi. As we got about 6 rows behind him, the kids got shy and did't want to go. A certain lady named Donna gave the kids encouragement to go down, and told the boys to tell him to stay home.

So we sat right behind him, and my oldest who was brave enough to ask him a couple of pre-instructed questions, went something like this:

1) Rashad, are you going to play for the gophers? He smiled and said i don't know yet.
2) Then he asked, Do you like to eat? Rashad smiled from ear to ear, laughed, and said "oh yeahhh." If you follow him on twitter, you know he loves to eat (win basketball games)

Very nice kid, shook the boys hands, and seemed to enjoy the short visit. Then, on the way back up, i told Donna we did our best to recruit him to MN.

Shooter is a joke. It takes no insite to speculate and if your wrong noone remembers or calls you on it.Maybe he should ask Jim Dutcher about it . lol The internet has made his mindless dribble obsolete.

Charley Walters is now OFFICIALY TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS! Gosh, he knows nothing, and now he's referring to 'insiders' who know about as much as we do about the leading school for each player. He should be fired just for this article...
More than likely his "insiders" are some guys posting on Kentucky, North Carolina, and Sparty forums just like we do here at gopherhole.

Since 1 of my kids (who is 5) always pretends to be Rashad playing basketball, i decided to go take him and his brother courtside at halftime yesterday to say hi. As we got about 6 rows behind him, the kids got shy and did't want to go. A certain lady named Donna gave the kids encouragement to go down, and told the boys to tell him to stay home.

So we sat right behind him, and my oldest who was brave enough to ask him a couple of pre-instructed questions, went something like this:

1) Rashad, are you going to play for the gophers? He smiled and said i don't know yet.
2) Then he asked, Do you like to eat? Rashad smiled from ear to ear, laughed, and said "oh yeahhh." If you follow him on twitter, you know he loves to eat (win basketball games)

Very nice kid, shook the boys hands, and seemed to enjoy the short visit. Then, on the way back up, i told Donna we did our best to recruit him to MN.

Thats awesome! We need more kids like yours to interact with Rashad. Fun story to hear about!

Like others have said, for him and other reporters, speculating like this is a no-lose situation, particularly since he picks someone other than the hometown school. If he predicted us and got it wrong, people would possibly care, but doing this is no-lose and gets attention. It's not worth paying attention to because whether he has sources or not, the odds of them actually having relevant and insider information is small and there's lots of time left in these recruitments.

Justin Jackson (top 25 small forward in 2014 depending on where you look) committed to North Carolina. Not sure how this affects Rashad, but hopefully he feels more competition there and wants to be "the guy" here. I know Rashad is a SG, but he can and likely will play both the 2 and 3 in college. Off the top of my head, PJ Hairston, JP Tokoto, and Justin Jackson will be there when he is a freshman to compete for playing time if he were to choose UNC too.

Charley Walters is still OFFICIALY TALKING OUT OF HIS ASS! Gosh, he knows nothing, and now he's referring to 'insiders' who know about as much as we do about the leading school for each player. He should be fired just for this article...

FIFY

UNC fan here. Always been a fan of Tubby.

For clarification on future UNC lineups... What we project at the wing in the next two years is:

2013-2014
Marcus Paige (soph) - Nate Britt (frosh) - Luke Davis (junior)
Reggie Bullock (senior) - Leslie McDonald (senior)
PJ Hairston (junior) - JP Tokoto (soph)

*with the chance of Bullock and/or Hairston leaving after this current season. Very slim chance at Andrew Wiggins, who would be one and done anyway. If he did choose UNC and everyone returned, Hairston would be moved back to the 4.

2014-2015
Marcus Paige (junior) - Nate Britt (soph) - Joel Berry (frosh) - Luke Davis (senior) - Stilman White (sophomore)
JP Tokoto (junior) - Justin Jackson (frosh)

*Pretty much no one expects PJ Hairston to stay for his senior season, and thus we likely don't have a single shooting guard on the roster in 2015. It should be noted that Joel Berry will probably play minutes at the 2 in his freshman year. Still not sure how Nate Britt fits into all of this. Perhaps him as well.

So there's an open spot on the roster to start at shooting guard right away. Roy Williams is on record for saying he wants exactly 2 wings in this class. Justin Jackson is one. The second is first come between Theo Pinson, Rashad Vaughn, Justice Winslow (probably not a real possibility), or someone else if all 3 pass.

UNC fan here. Always been a fan of Tubby.

For clarification on future UNC lineups... What we project at the wing in the next two years is:

2013-2014
Marcus Paige (soph) - Nate Britt (frosh) - Luke Davis (junior)
Reggie Bullock (senior) - Leslie McDonald (senior)
PJ Hairston (junior) - JP Tokoto (soph)

*with the chance of Bullock and/or Hairston leaving after this current season. Very slim chance at Andrew Wiggins, who would be one and done anyway. If he did choose UNC and everyone returned, Hairston would be moved back to the 4.

2014-2015
Marcus Paige (junior) - Nate Britt (soph) - Joel Berry (frosh) - Luke Davis (senior) - Stilman White (sophomore)
JP Tokoto (junior) - Justin Jackson (frosh)

*Pretty much no one expects PJ Hairston to stay for his senior season, and thus we likely don't have a single shooting guard on the roster in 2015. It should be noted that Joel Berry will probably play minutes at the 2 in his freshman year. Still not sure how Nate Britt fits into all of this. Perhaps him as well.

So there's an open spot on the roster to start at shooting guard right away. Roy Williams is on record for saying he wants exactly 2 wings in this class. Justin Jackson is one. The second is first come between Theo Pinson, Rashad Vaughn, Justice Winslow (probably not a real possibility), or someone else if all 3 pass.

Thanks for the insight!

I think Vaughn is the most critical for the Gophers of the big three.

Tweets from @GopherHole tonight:

"Kansas #Jayhawks assistant coach Joe Dooley is at Maple Grove HS tonight scouting #Gophers recruit Rashad Vaughn."

"Both #Gophers HC Tubby Smith and former Gopher Flip Saunders are here scouting @ShowtimeMr Rashad Vaughn!"

"Add Tyus Jones to the growing list of attendees watching Vaughn tonight. #Gophers"

"#Gophers Senior Associate AD Mike Ellis @MikeVCU is also here watching Vaughn."

Go Gophers!!

Tweets from @GopherHole tonight:

"Kansas #Jayhawks assistant coach Joe Dooley is at Maple Grove HS tonight scouting #Gophers recruit Rashad Vaughn."

"Both #Gophers HC Tubby Smith and former Gopher Flip Saunders are here scouting @ShowtimeMr Rashad Vaughn!"

"Add Tyus Jones to the growing list of attendees watching Vaughn tonight. #Gophers"

"#Gophers Senior Associate AD Mike Ellis @MikeVCU is also here watching Vaughn."

Go Gophers!!
I do like how Tyus has attended a couple of Rashad's games and I believe maybe 1 or 2 of Reed's games as well. Gives me more hope that they have at least thought about playing together in college and if they decide they want to play together that is the best bet for the Gophers to land all 3 or really even 2 of the 3.

28 for Vaughn and a win for Cooper over a pretty good Maple Grove team. Sets up what could be a wildly entertaining game against Park Center.

I do like how Tyus has attended a couple of Rashad's games and I believe maybe 1 or 2 of Reed's games as well. Gives me more hope that they have at least thought about playing together in college and if they decide they want to play together that is the best bet for the Gophers to land all 3 or really even 2 of the 3.

I think Tyus was scouting a possible future apponent more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom