12/27 - Rashad Vaughn will NOT attend the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
not exactly rashad vaughn related, but one of my closest friends started in engineering at i.s.u. and finished in the twin cities. i.s.u.'s program was far superior in terms of an undergrad experience and interacting with profs, while let's just say it was apparent that the u's focus was that of a research school and all the meddling undergrads were a nuisance.

Yeah, sorry for bringing this off topic, especially since cost of school has absolutely zero bearing on Vaughn's decision unless he is heading the Ivy League direction. I can tell you as an engineer in Minnesota with the same company for 9 years, we have hired 1 Iowa State Engineer in my 9 years with this company and he lasted about a year. From the standpoint of networking and getting a job in Minnesota, I don't think it's even close. I never had an issue finding a professor when I needed help, but I never really needed help :).

Yeah, the primary reason I chose Iowa State over the U of M was because of ISU's engineering program (in my specific field) compared to the U's. I also wanted to get away from where I grew up for a few years. I wasn't sure (and wasn't specifically trying to) if I'd get back to Minnesota after school, so that wasn't a factor.

I was fortunate to have a scholarship to the school of my choice, so cost wasn't a factor either.

On a side note, I actually wore my Gopher gear on campus for the first year until I bought student season tickets to football & basketball my sophomore year and fell in love with the team. (It didn't hurt that the MBB team didn't lose at home that year, won the Big XII regular season and Big XII tournament, were a 2 seed in the NCAA and finished the year ranked #3 in the country)

Sorry - no more derailing the Vaughn thread from me from now on.

Yeah, the primary reason I chose Iowa State over the U of M was because of ISU's engineering program (in my specific field) compared to the U's. I also wanted to get away from where I grew up for a few years. I wasn't sure (and wasn't specifically trying to) if I'd get back to Minnesota after school, so that wasn't a factor.

I was fortunate to have a scholarship to the school of my choice, so cost wasn't a factor either.

On a side note, I actually wore my Gopher gear on campus for the first year until I bought student season tickets to football & basketball my sophomore year and fell in love with the team. (It didn't hurt that the MBB team didn't lose at home that year, won the Big XII regular season and Big XII tournament, were a 2 seed in the NCAA and finished the year ranked #3 in the country)

Was your field agricultural/biological engineering?

You forgot lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. ;)

I'm assuming you are talking about the Tinsley/Fizer team that was the first 2 seed to ever lose in the first round of the tournament. I actually really liked that team, I was in high school then.

You forgot lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. ;)

I'm assuming you are talking about the Tinsley/Fizer team that was the first 2 seed to ever lose in the first round of the tournament. I actually really liked that team, I was in high school then.

He probably means the year they lost to MSU in the Elite 8 and were probably the second best team in the country. That was like the de facto national championship.

Yeah MN doesn't get much support for all sports. The town is more about Twins Vikes and Hockey. For such a big market - the support and achievement is really pretty sad.

I can't think of anything further from the truth as far as Minnesota Basketball is concerned, they are ranked 14th in revenue of NCAA schools, Iowa State or even Iowa is nowhere close to that, it is more a perception than reality, based on success of the program support for Minnesota basketball is nothing short of phenomenal.

I keep clicking on this thread thinking there's something new with Vaughn...please take the Iowa City/Ames vs. Minneapolis garbage argument somewhere else...

GopherHole tweet: Big time #Gophers recruit Rashad Vaughn @ShowtimeMr hits game winning shot, finishes with 35 pts as Cooper wins 72-70 per @tchoopsczar.

TCHoopsCzar tweet: Spring Lake Park students with a "You're not Tyus" chant to Vaughn.

Go Gophers!!

What is Vaughn's relationship with Matt Thomas. Did they play AAU ball together? Sounds like he is in his ear about going to Iowa St. Don't they play the same position though? Not sure why, but I am concerned about Hoiberg actually landing Vaughn. I hope he stays home. 2014 could be a special year for in-state recruiting for football and basketball. Super pumped about the early verbal from Jeff Jones for FB.

GopherHole tweet: Big time #Gophers recruit Rashad Vaughn @ShowtimeMr hits game winning shot, finishes with 35 pts as Cooper wins 72-70 per @tchoopsczar.

TCHoopsCzar tweet: Spring Lake Park students with a "You're not Tyus" chant to Vaughn.

Go Gophers!!

Creative chant, but ouch lol can we get some of those kids in the U student section? To take their insults to a more deserving target (Wisconsin)

Doogie tweet: "Talked w/ Rashad Vaughn (@ShowtimeMr) while at Cooper. He's ok w/ his ACT score, but will be retaking. Got him to say Arkansas has no shot."

Go Gophers!!

Was your field agricultural/biological engineering?

Construction Engineering - at the time ISU had the #1 program in the County. It think it's slipped a little since then, but still a top 5

http://www.campusexplorer.com/colleges/major/FCF8A86C/Engineering/A5254DE9/Construction-Engineering/

He probably means the year they lost to MSU in the Elite 8 and were probably the second best team in the country. That was like the de facto national championship.

Yes, we were ahead of MSU by double digits half way through the 2nd half and just couldn't close out. Of course MSU went on to crush Wisconsin and Florida in the Final Four and NC games respectively. It was the following year (without) Fizer that they lost in the first round as a#2 seed.

And sorry - this is definitely my last post unless is has something specific to Vaughn. Of course I hope Fred lands Vaughn, but if not, I hope he decides to stay home and play for the U.

Construction Engineering - at the time ISU had the #1 program in the County. It think it's slipped a little since then, but still a top 5

http://www.campusexplorer.com/colleges/major/FCF8A86C/Engineering/A5254DE9/Construction-Engineering/

Yes, we were ahead of MSU by double digits half way through the 2nd half and just couldn't close out. Of course MSU went on to crush Wisconsin and Florida in the Final Four and NC games respectively. It was the following year (without) Fizer that they lost in the first round as a#2 seed.

And sorry - this is definitely my last post unless is has something specific to Vaughn. Of course I hope Fred lands Vaughn, but if not, I hope he decides to stay home and play for the U.

For the record, I also hope Vaughn goes to Minny if he doesn't choose ISU.

@travishines21: Kansas and Georgetown are in to see Rashad Vaughn today

Go Gophers!!

Doogie with a long Q&A.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...had_Vaughn_Still_looking_at_the_Gophers020813

Some of the highlights:

Anything new on when you'll cut down your list?

I'm not sure yet. Connecticut is a new offer. North Carolina should be here next week and I think they'll offer then.

Anything you've seen with the Gophers and the way they play that swayed your opinion?

Every game I've been to they've played well. They got up and down. I know they're going through something right now. It doesn't affect me. They're still on my list. I'm still looking at the Gophers.

If Vince Taylor leaves for a head coaching job -- he's due -- how big of a deal will that be?

It would probably be a big deal. But at the same time, it's the head coach I need to have a good relationship with. Tubby (Smith) and I have a good relationship. It won't really play a big factor. But Vince and I have a good relationship.

Tubby and his wife watched you play last week.

It was cool.

Go Gophers!!

Highlights from my point of view: haha

You went to Iowa State last weekend for the Iowa State-Baylor game. It looked like you got showered with love ...

It was crazy. The fans were chanting. I stayed the night. The game was amazing. It was fun down there.

I saw the tweets and the pictures of all the signs. They went all out so much so that the Baylor coach had signs removed

They had Fat Heads, signs, and one of their quarterbacks was tweeting at me. I was shocked. It was fun.

Why don't Gophers fans go all-out like that?

I don't know. They do, but that was the best I've been a part of so far.

Some info on the "QB tweets" he's referring to:

Sage Rosenfels ‏@SageRosenfels18 Headed to Ames for the #IowaState #baylor game. I hear we have a big recruit coming down from Minneapolis. #HiltonMagic will win him over.

Sage Rosenfels ‏@SageRosenfels18
If u had a choice, would u play for #themayor or #tubby? Just based on nicknames I think this kid will be a #cyclone next year. @ISUMayor32
Sage Rosenfels ‏@SageRosenfels18
“@CycloneATH: @SageRosenfels18 where will you be sitting tonight?”---hopefully next to #RashadVaughn

Highlights of Cooper vs. Hopkins including Vaugh and Coffe:

Go Gophers!!

Rashad was at Kohl Center today to watch the Badgers beat Michigan.

You sure about that? I know they had Diamond Stone (2015 big) and Paul Turner (2014 wing) in for the game, but I have not seen any report that Vaughn was there.

Well I don't think we gotta worry about Vaughn or Tyus going to UNC after they got blown out by Miami.

@isurecruitlists: 2014 Rashad Vaughn had 28 pts & 12 reb in a win last night. North Carolina's Roy Williams & an asst will watch Vaughn on Friday.

Go Gophers!!

@isurecruitlists: 2014 Rashad Vaughn had 28 pts & 12 reb in a win last night. North Carolina's Roy Williams & an asst will watch Vaughn on Friday.

Go Gophers!!

I would love to finally see the update to this thread that says Vaughn met with Tubby last night and gave his verbal. We need one to open the door for a second (not expecting all three). Truthfully, just one of the three would be great, but how nice would it be to land 2?

He's moved up to #9 in the ESPN rankings now. He has constantly climbed in the rankings which is a great thing.

I am going to Coopers home game tomorrow. Does anyone know how early I should arrive to get a ticket?

I would love to finally see the update to this thread that says Vaughn met with Tubby last night and gave his verbal. We need one to open the door for a second (not expecting all three). Truthfully, just one of the three would be great, but how nice would it be to land 2?

I've seen some posters saying Tubby should be fired if none of them come here, but just landing Vaughn could set this class up to be potentially Tubby's best recruiting class while at Minnesota. I really don't think landing none of them would make our 2014 recruiting class bad, especially if we can get Dominique Collier or Josh Perkins from out of state, just that if we do get even one or two of them, the class will be very, very good.

Go Gophers!!

I'm told that the assistant will be Hubert Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom