Wyatt Gilmore Watch

You probably have a life and don’t spend much time around other team message boards like I do, but boi, GH is far more tame and level-headed compared to other fanbases.

This assessment may seem like an embellishment, a joke even, but it’s not. I’ve seen some shit.

360_F_111993389_8zATQ21lLlSLy9VwEHzMR6Rr5QTAw03u.jpg
You're 100% correct.

Compared to most team's message boards, GH is incredibly positive and pretty tame.

I reviewed the 4-Star guys that we have gotten under Fleck. Of the ines no longer here half of them are now playing in the NFL, the other half have transferred out. Having a 50% NFL hit rate, with one being a #1 draft pick is readon enough to pick MN.

I don't think you intended anything bad by it but the rumor of going south kind of started it all. Not your fault though.
Gotcha. Fair enough. I’m not trying to rile anyone up, I’ve just known Wyatt since middle school and he’s a great kid from a great family and I would just not be surprised if that’s the case. I hope he chooses MN.

I guess I never get upset when players decide to go elsewhere. Why some get so insulted I will never know.

Not to mention he would be one of the few from the class anyways just focus on the ones who sign and be done with it.
It’s almost like, he make a big flashy public announcement where he implied that the U is a “finalist”, and that’s what got folks here talking?

I've never seen a group so butt hurt over an innocuous tweet. Add to the fact this thread started because a poster lost their shit because he was 'blessed' to receive an offer from wisconsin...who didn't even make his final 5 btw.

If you're this worked up over a 17 year old kid...maybe rethink some things.

There's nothing to think he's not legitimately interested in the Gophers...hell, he's working out with Carrier. Hopefully he ends up being Golden at the end of the day.
I’ve never see a poster so butt hurt over posters being butt hurt.

You aren’t anyone’s mom.

Shaver is an Iowa guy.

Exactly...he hates the Gophers. Gloats every time they lose a recruit
I know Randy personally, and he most certainly does not hate the Gophers. He ran track at Iowa St. (not Iowa), so he has no reason to hate the Gophers. The Shaver Fund has given many millions of dollars to cancer research at the U, and his son graduated with an MD from the U of M medical school. I guess he's really showing how much he hates the Gophers by doing all of those things - oh, and the fact that he's lived in Minnesota for 40+ years.

I know Randy personally, and he most certainly does not hate the Gophers. He ran track at Iowa St. (not Iowa), so he has no reason to hate the Gophers. The Shaver Fund has given many millions of dollars to cancer research at the U, and his son graduated with an MD from the U of M medical school. I guess he's really showing how much he hates the Gophers by doing all of those things - oh, and the fact that he's lived in Minnesota for 40+ years.
I don’t know this guy but the bold part is weird… I don’t think anyone thinks he would blackball the U when it comes to cancer research funding ;)

He could not like the U (I don’t know of that is true…), and still fund cancer research.

Thanks for the facts dpod. It's kind of like some people think every national broadcaster hates the Gophers.

I don’t know this guy but the bold part is weird… I don’t think anyone thinks he would blackball the U when it comes to cancer research funding ;)

He could not like the U (I don’t know of that is true…), and still fund cancer research.
You're reaching.

I reviewed the 4-Star guys that we have gotten under Fleck. Of the ines no longer here half of them are now playing in the NFL, the other half have transferred out. Having a 50% NFL hit rate, with one being a #1 draft pick is readon enough to pick MN.
It shows that middling programs that amass four stars out of H.S. don't guarantee success. I won't mention names, but the Gophers have their share of duds.

It shows that middling programs that amass four stars out of H.S. don't guarantee success. I won't mention names, but the Gophers have their share of duds.
So true. In the last couple years, it was surprising how many highly regarded recruits left. However, not many found equal or better teams. Recruiting is more an art and Fleck’s success rate seems pretty good.

So true. In the last couple years, it was surprising how many highly regarded recruits left. However, not many found equal or better teams. Recruiting is more an art and Fleck’s success rate seems pretty good.
Getting a guy who wants to be here, and then taking him and developing him into a high-caliber Big Ten starter, is the only success that matters.

The Shaver Fund has given many millions of dollars to cancer research at the U, and his son graduated with an MD from the U of M medical school. I guess he's really showing how much he hates the Gophers by doing all of those things - oh, and the fact that he's lived in Minnesota for 40+ years.
None of these things have literally a single thing to do with Gopher athletics.

Many, many people have built careers in the Twin Cities for multiple decades while bringing their non-Gopher team allegiances with them.

Random example: Winnebago just moved its HQ to Eden Prairie from Iowa. You think any of the people who reluctantly decided to uproot and relocate are suddenly going to be like "OK, we live in Minnesota now, wooooo Gophers yeah!"

Get real

This. 100%.

Randy Shaver is one of the good guys. He does an immense amount for the community without feeling the need to tell anyone about it.

None of these things have literally a single thing to do with Gopher athletics.

Many, many people have built careers in the Twin Cities for multiple decades while bringing their non-Gopher team allegiances with them.

Random example: Winnebago just moved its HQ to Eden Prairie from Iowa. You think any of the people who reluctantly decided to uproot and relocate are suddenly going to be like "OK, we live in Minnesota now, wooooo Gophers yeah!"

Get real
It's not conclusive but it certainly is evidence he doesn't hate the Gophers.

Many people who are Gopher athletic fans are fans because of similar connections - they attended the U, their kids attended the U, they have some relationship with the U.

Do you think someone whose kid went to the U of MN is more or less likely to be a Gopher fan than someone whose kid didn't?
Do you think a Gopher fan is more or less likely to donate to the U? If you were going to donate to a school for cancer research, would it be more likely to be the U or Madison?

Your example is also the exact opposite of Shaver's situation. As you said, Winnebago JUST relocated. Randy didn't JUST relocate. He's lived here 40 years, raised his kids here, donates to the U, his kid went to the U.

Your Winnebago comparison would be more like the kid who lived in Iowa his entire life and moved in Minneapolis a month ago. It is, literally, the opposite of Randy Shaver's situation.

It's not conclusive but it certainly is evidence he doesn't hate the Gophers.

Many people who are Gopher athletic fans are fans because of similar connections - they attended the U, their kids attended the U, they have some relationship with the U.

Do you think someone whose kid went to the U of MN is more or less likely to be a Gopher fan than someone whose kid didn't?
Do you think a Gopher fan is more or less likely to donate to the U? If you were going to donate to a school for cancer research, would it be more likely to be the U or Madison?

Your example is also the exact opposite of Shaver's situation. As you said, Winnebago JUST relocated. Randy didn't JUST relocate. He's lived here 40 years, raised his kids here, donates to the U, his kid went to the U.

Your Winnebago comparison would be more like the kid who lived in Iowa his entire life and moved in Minneapolis a month ago. It is, literally, the opposite of Randy Shaver's situation.
(I have no proof of anything with Shaver. This is hypothetical discussion for the sake of discussion. Probably didn't need to be said, but wanted to make that explicit.)

First question: are you asking me if a person who went to Iowa or Wisconsin, then moved to the Twin Cities for work, built a career and raised a family here, and their kids went to the U is like "I've been a Hawk/Badger fan since (before) undergrad, but 40 years later my kid graduated from the U, so now I like the Gophers instead!"

It baffles me if you really believe that can be true.

Second question: it was mentioned that the Shaver Foundation donates to the U Cancer Center. ....... Where else would they donate?? You can't possibly tell me that a guy who has been a public figure in the Cities for many years is going to tell his foundation to not donate to the local group but to Wisconsin and Iowa instead?

That's not a thing. (I have no idea if he, personally, donates to the U (Cancer Center). That would be a much different thing.)

You posed the question of if a Gopher fan would donate to the U (Cancer Center) or Wisconsin. But that's assuming the thing that is in question, first. We don't know if he is a Gopher (athletics) fan.

Carter Coughlin announced a top 3 of Minnesota, Ohio State, and Oregon, after after Ohio State had recently beaten Oregon in the national championship game.

Jonah Pirsig I believe also had a top 3 of Iowa, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, but he's not from the Twin Cities.

Blaise Andries had a ton of offers, but I can't easily determine if he announced a top whatever before committing here, and he's also not from the Twin Cities.
These are so old, was making big Twitter announcement even a thing back then?? Anyway, of course I'll allow them.

Great, glad it's not an 0-fer. Not hugely more than zero, but more than zero.

How many recruits are there each year who are both from the Twin Cities and also receiving serious interest from multiple power conference football programs?
And also do "Top X" Twitter announcements that are all P5 programs with U included.

Would think at least one yearly?

What's his name from Cooper last year. Forgot already

Could this phenomenon be rephrased as something more along the lines of "Highly rated recruits who are hotly pursued on a national level don't often commit to Minnesota (except for when they do)" rather than "Self-centered diva from the big city who enjoys the recruitment process never commits to Minnesota?"
Enjoys the recruitment process. Who doesn't?

Doesn't mean you need to make it all about you with a bunch of drama and Top X crap. Just make your announcement of the school you picked, when you've picked it.

it was mentioned that the Shaver Foundation donates to the U Cancer Center. ....... Where else would they donate??

Well, there are all kinds of local important and viable and meaningful options that the Shaver Foundation could donate to other than the U Cancer Center. There's the Mayo Clinic, Children's Hospital, the American Cancer Society-Minnesota, the Ronald McDonald House, Susan G Koman-Minnesota, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society-MN, any number of local hospices and research centers., etc. The options are nearly limitless. And, the Foundation does donate to cancer causes other than the U. But, the fact remains, most of the money goes to U-related Cancer efforts. That says something.

I know at one point Randy teamed up with Jerry Kill for some fundraising efforts. Both are cancer survivors.

It is remarkable we've turned a thread about the top-rated recruit in Minnesota into a debate about how much Randy Shaver hates the Gophers. Makes me laugh a little, and makes me a little sad.

Hopefully Wyatt stays home and plays for the Gophers.

LMAO Do I even want to know what rabbit hole conspiracy theory G4L is cooking up now??

When responses are essays, I know it's probably good 😂😂 The ignore feature is amazing.

(I have no proof of anything with Shaver. This is hypothetical discussion for the sake of discussion. Probably didn't need to be said, but wanted to make that explicit.)

First question: are you asking me if a person who went to Iowa or Wisconsin, then moved to the Twin Cities for work, built a career and raised a family here, and their kids went to the U is like "I've been a Hawk/Badger fan since (before) undergrad, but 40 years later my kid graduated from the U, so now I like the Gophers instead!"

It baffles me if you really believe that can be true.

Second question: it was mentioned that the Shaver Foundation donates to the U Cancer Center. ....... Where else would they donate?? You can't possibly tell me that a guy who has been a public figure in the Cities for many years is going to tell his foundation to not donate to the local group but to Wisconsin and Iowa instead?

That's not a thing. (I have no idea if he, personally, donates to the U (Cancer Center). That would be a much different thing.)

You posed the question of if a Gopher fan would donate to the U (Cancer Center) or Wisconsin. But that's assuming the thing that is in question, first. We don't know if he is a Gopher (athletics) fan.
It baffles me that you don't know anyone like this. I know plenty. Not everyone is as diehard as you think they are. If they were no one who went to a college would ever coach against the team they played for or work for a rival. (In Shavers case he didn't even go to a rival school)

Most people just don't care that much.

I like our chances, if we were Oregon. Last dance and most $$ to offer.

You probably have a life and don’t spend much time around other team message boards like I do, but boi, GH is far more tame and level-headed compared to other fanbases.

This assessment may seem like an embellishment, a joke even, but it’s not. I’ve seen some shit.

360_F_111993389_8zATQ21lLlSLy9VwEHzMR6Rr5QTAw03u.jpg

Agreed, I used to pop on to the Huskerboard a bit during the Scott Frost years to just get a chuckle and get a peek at what insanity looks like. If some of these people had spouses, I can't imagine what their Fall weekends were like the last 5 yrs.

I have no inside information but I am going to say Shaver hates the Gophers. If for no other reason than to show you are a super fan on GH you have to say others hate the Gophers or are lesser fans than yourself.

Top Bottom