Wisconsin targeting Luke Fickell

I think if Leonhard leaves, he’ll never coach at Wisconsin again.
Sounds like he was completely blind-sided. They didn't even give him a raise while being the HC. Will be interesting as WI has now completely eliminated what Barry Alvarez built. If Fickle doesn't meet expectations, they've burned some bridges potentially.

Cinci threw the ball about 8-10 more times per game this year compared to WI, but they really spread it out from what I remember.

Sounds like he was completely blind-sided. They didn't even give him a raise while being the HC. Will be interesting as WI has now completely eliminated what Barry Alvarez built. If Fickle doesn't meet expectations, they've burned some bridges potentially.
Listening to Leonhard's post game he talked like someone who thought he had the job. I really don't think he saw this coming at all.

C'mon, give it up. For a multitude of reasons there is absolutely no way that is happening.
I just can’t believe they are going to let Leonhard go like that. It’s crazy!! I think Fickell is overrated and not so sure about the fit. They would be fully abandoning the Alvarez era, the only era/blueprint that made them successful. I guess we’ll see. Like I said, I think they end up begging Leonhard to come back at some point.

Just to be clear, your repeated posts to Bob here are to prove that you aren’t thin-skinned and don’t take his posts seriously, right?
You’re right. You’ve got me! Lol

Why do a few here think OSU will get rid of Day? He’s 45-5 (31-2 B1G) in 5 seasons. And ranked was ranked number 2 in nation through 11 games. He’s not going anywhere unless someone offers him much more than OSU can pay.
Day might also go to the NFL.

I don’t know. I attended a UW Volleyball game earlier this year where they set an NCAA record for attendance at a non-playoff game. I couldn’t believe how many people attended a VB game (I was given free tix during a visit).
It didn't hurt attendance that it was the first home game after nude pictures of the majority of the team were leaked out. Not saying it is morally right, but that is part of the sellout.

Listening to Leonhard's post game he talked like someone who thought he had the job. I really don't think he saw this coming at all.
IMO, they took a long shot at Fickell and if Fickell turned them down they were going to go with Leonhard. I don't think he ever saw the knife.

In WI's defense, that's probably the only way this could have ever played out. If you miss on Fickell, you don't want Leonhard thinking he is second choice. It's also exactly how coaches do it when they leave for other jobs. This situation is a bit different because Leonhard really did give up a lot to be in this position and in reality, he probably loses the job because Graham Mertz is awful - a player that he was stuck with.

I can't say that I'm surprised by this. I think if they were going to go with Leonhard (100%), Chryst would have finished the season.

It didn't hurt attendance that it was the first home game after nude pictures of the majority of the team were leaked out. Not saying it is morally right, but that is part of the sellout.
I'll have to look into this, I might need to retract my statement about volleyball schools.

I'll report back in 5-6 hours.

Regardless of the D they run, you don’t want the golden child you passed over on the staff as that will cause problems by proximity - divided locker room, calls for Leonard to replace Fickell when he has a losing streak, etc….
This is why JL is definitely for sure 100% gone forever within the next few weeks. They can’t keep him around having people second-guessing LF every time they hit a bump in the road.

If I were Nebraska, I'd probably rather have Leonhard as HC (bolster that terrible defense) paired with a very good offensive coordinator. They might have jumped the gun with Rhule. Too bad so sad.

Just to be clear, your repeated posts to Bob here are to prove that you aren’t thin-skinned and don’t take his posts seriously, right?
The real reason would be because I literally don’t have to say something and he just outs himself as a misogynist. He literally just had some of the creepiest comments I’ve ever seen on this board deleted by the mods in regards to the Wisconsin volleyball team.

It is good for me to respond to him so he can show the board his true colors.

In the last 24 hours he has:
Called fleck a teenage girl
Called me a “chick”
Insinuated he was going to take 5-6 hours to look up illegally released nude photos of the Wisconsin volleyball team

This is why JL is definitely for sure 100% gone forever within the next few weeks. They can’t keep him around having people second-guessing LF every time they hit a bump in the road.

Exactly - probably best for him as that place is less loyal to him Now, then he’s need to them. Classless.

The real reason would be because I literally don’t have to say something and he just outs himself as a misogynist. He literally just had some of the creepiest comments I’ve ever seen on this board deleted by the mods in regards to the Wisconsin volleyball team.

Called me a “chick”
Insinuated he was going to take 5-6 hours to look up illegally released nude photos of the Wisconsin volleyball team
Need a tissue?

Remember when this guy called me thin-skinned? You reported me to the mods for an obvious joke. I really got under your skin huh buddy.

Called me a “chick”

And yet he’s still on E-Harmony

If the decision was up to you, would have have picked Jimmy or Luke?
You didn’t ask me but unless you are 100% sold on Leonhard you Had to hire outside.

Wisconsin is 13-11 over the past 3 years in the west but they’re still seen as a national top 20 type program.
If you’re only 80% sold in internal and the next 4 years are 6 wins, 8 wins, 7 wins, 6 wins….that top 20 vibe goes away and you don’t have the chance to pluck the hot name.

This was their chance to hire big.

There are 10 conference in FBS.
You just plucked to top coach from the 6th best conference. I don’t think Minnesota could land Fickell if we were hiring. They’re one mediocre cycle away from being more similar to Mn than different.

Joe Barry was a disaster of a DC hire in Green Bay after Leonhard turned them down. I bet he gets another bite at that apple this off-season and takes it this time.
After last night’s historic defensive debacle by the Packers, Barry’s firing is virtually guaranteed. It will be interesting to see if LaFleur goes back to a guy who already turned him down once. But it gives Leonhard his one realistic chance to stay in Wisconsin, if that’s what’s really important to him. I think that partnership is a no-brainer at this point.

I don’t think Minnesota could land Fickell if we were hiring. They’re one mediocre cycle away from being more similar to Mn than different.
They are already there.
They have recruited towards the bottom of the conference lately. I'm sure this guy will help, but the days of considering Wisconsin a BT power are over for a bit here.

Cinci threw the ball about 8-10 more times per game this year compared to WI, but they really spread it out from what I remember.
Yes, they like to play with some "pace".

Top Bottom