Wisconsin has to be the luckiest team on the planet.

I don't think there is a Gophers fan alive that would not make that trade in one second, even if they had to win ugly and boring basketball. :cool:

I bet there are plenty out there who still wouldn't do it. It is called being clueless.

You live in a vacuum if you truly believe that the Twin Cities has some sort of "draw" for 18-year old kids that Madison doesn't. Madison is an unreal college town and for many college kids, that's what counts. Just because you choose to think the Twin Cities is great doesn't mean everyone else does. To some kid who gre up in Chicago or Cleveland or Terre Haute, why would the Twin Cities beat out Madison? For some it might, but to claim that's some major recruiting advantage is silly.

About Clem, we all love him, but boy does absence make the heart grow fonder. Like Tubby, he was under .500 for his career at Minnesota in Big Ten games. In his 13 years here, he made 6 NCAA tourneys, including only twice in his last four years, and finished above 4th in the Big Ten exactly once (which was vacated). He finished 6th or worse more than he finished 5th or better.

As for Dutch, he coached here ten full seasons. He finished 4th or better only three times. He finished 5th or worse seven times. In TEN SEASONS, Dutch made it to ONE NCAA tourney.

We have a lot of people who don't fully understand who we are. There is ONE old guard Big Ten basketball program that has fewer NCAA tourney appearances than us - Northwestern. EVERYONE else has more. We are not some juggernaut, never have been.

Career opportunties here are about 5X what you will find in Wisconsin. You are right that we are not a juggernaut and have not been. You can win here with the right program and it has been done. Winning here, as Jim Dutcher once defined it, is to build teams such that you at least compete for the Big Ten title every four years. That doesn't mean that you win it, but you are in the hunt. That hasn't happened under either Monson or Tubby. As we know in football, 15 years of not competing turns to 20 and 20 turns to 40. Must get this fixed soon. It's going to require some passion.

I find it amazing as well the distorted view Gophers fans have of the program. When we (at that time it was a we) won the Big 10 in 82, it was the first one in ten years and it took a crazy recruiting class to do it. I loved that team and the Barn rocked that year, but it is far from the norm.

The Gophers have had some amazing individual talent over the years, but as for team success? Nothing like what people believe.

And, when we won it 1972 under Muss, it was the first time in 53 YEARS we had won one. So, that means, we have won 3 BIG TEN TITLES since 1920 (93 years), and all three come from coaching staffs that left with some varying degree of baggage.

Anyone else see that Hardaway had 5fouls and was still on the court!!! College basketball refs are brutal!!!
The announced 4th foul on him was actually on GR3, thus, the confusion.

Wisconsin isn't lucky all the time. We made a shot like that last year against Michigan State up it was called off when the refs said the clock had expired. (It may have, but it was really close.)

Career opportunties here are about 5X what you will find in Wisconsin.

I'm sorry, did they pass a state law that says a UW grad can't work in the Twin Cities? Given the number of Badger hats and shirts I see around town, I figure no. So, for an 18-year old (even from MN), going to school in Madison and then returning to work here is not only an option, but quite the viable option. Again, there isn't an overall recruiting advantage to be in the Twin Cities. Period. For some prospects, maybe, but for others, no. At best, it is a wash, at worst, they hold a slight advantage (in my opinion).

I'm sorry, did they pass a state law that says a UW grad can't work in the Twin Cities? Given the number of Badger hats and shirts I see around town, I figure no. So, for an 18-year old (even from MN), going to school in Madison and then returning to work here is not only an option, but quite the viable option. Again, there isn't an overall recruiting advantage to be in the Twin Cities. Period. For some prospects, maybe, but for others, no. At best, it is a wash, at worst, they hold a slight advantage (in my opinion).

You can go anywhere. It is a particular advantage with firms if you have been a local hometown hero for the Gophers. But let's agree that there is no overall recruiting advantage. So now it's all even. Now how are we doing?

You can go anywhere. It is a particular advantage with firms if you have been a local hometown hero for the Gophers. But let's agree that there is no overall recruiting advantage. So now it's all even. Now how are we doing?

Fine solidly in the tournament while fans like you constantly complain.

always said Bo was the man, he wins and he covers. Seems to under achieve in the post season

Fine solidly in the tournament while fans like you constantly complain.

I think we will make the tournament this year. I see us finishing in 6th at 9-9 or 10-8. That's nice. However, in context- it's not a good performance to finish 6th or lower all 6 years of Tubby's tenure.

I think we will make the tournament this year. I see us finishing in 6th at 9-9 or 10-8. That's nice. However, in context- it's not a good performance to finish 6th or lower all 6 years of Tubby's tenure.

Cool

Lady Luck 3 shots - a bouce off the rim 2 pointer against us - a bouncing 3 pointer v. Iowa and then the all time luck hot from half court today... Its unbelievable but I was expecting it watching the half court shot go in.

For shame. What an embarrassing thread. Extolling the virtues of the grinch on the gopherhole. The only remotely good thing about Wisconsin will be watching the grinch and those pastey bastards slither their way back across the border on Thursday after we beat them.

I could but its not going to change his opinion or mine.

I will only ask you this. Are you satisfied with the way things are versus what you expected this year and through the Tubby era? I'm not. That said, I'm not calling for a firing, I'm looking for him to do something about it, adapt and outcoach some others.

So if Rodney Williams (26.7% from 3) took a 3 in the closing seconds and it donked off the rim and the backboard before going in, you wouldn't consider it to be the least bit lucky.

People were complaining about Austin Hollins, one of our best 3 point shooters, draining a 3 at the end against Iowa at home, saying we should have lost and Austin saved Tubby's job by hitting a shot that was big, but not incredibly surprising, but when Wisconsin does the same thing but 10 times as ugly, it's all skill and no luck was involved. Not to mention Mike Gesell settling for a three at the buzzer, not noticing the big man wide open under the basket which could have given them an easy two to win the game.

Quote from an Illinois board.

UM should've fouled him before he attempted the shot. Why more teams don't do this is perplexing. Don't let them have the opportunity to tie it.

UW and Bo the Intimidator get the benefit of more calls and non-calls at Kohl than just about any other team at its home floor in the country outside of maybe Duke. UM shot 2 FTs today. UW was whistled for 8 fouls even though they were bodying up cutters and hand-checking frequently. Bizarre why refs are so intimidated by Ryan and let him scream at them several times a game when he doesn't get a call he wants. When's the last time the guy's gotten a T for one of his red-faced outbursts?

A simple recap of Becky basketball. They run a motion offense predicated on getting the ball in low
and kicking it back out for the 3. If it isn't there, they setup the same way again. Most of the time they're shooting the ball around the 10 second mark of the shot clock. The other part of the Offense is Jackson coming off a high screen and penetrating the lane. If nothing is there he kicks it out for the 3 shot from the wing or corner. The offense is simple stupid. The main reason
Wisconsin wins is that they don't turn the ball over and they get the majority of the on the floor take aways.
Plus this year they're riding an unbelievable amount of " luck " Many of the games in the B1G
they've won this year is the result of poor shooting by the opposition. The shots are there, teams just aren't knocking them down. The thing the makes Bo a good coach is that his players remained focused for 40 minutes. Something the Gophers don't have.

I will only ask you this. Are you satisfied with the way things are versus what you expected this year and through the Tubby era? I'm not. That said, I'm not calling for a firing, I'm looking for him to do something about it, adapt and outcoach some others.

Don't know how you could say your not satisfied when the season isn't over and I would be more upset with Tubby if I was an outsider and didn't know about any injuries or transfers.

Don't know how you could say your not satisfied when the season isn't over and I would be more upset with Tubby if I was an outsider and didn't know about any injuries or transfers.
At 6 years those excuses ring hollow.

Cool story bro.

It's true though. Everyone is healthy enough to play this season. No one transferred. This is the year we have all been waiting for and expectations are high-rightly so. Maybe things improve, but this team is not playing up to expectations.

That is what is becoming frustrating. This Wisconsin team is playing without their best player, and instead of making excuses, they are finding ways to win. Not always ugly, not always pretty, but they are right in the thick of the race.

The year that really upset me on that front was the year we lost Nolen and Joseph. We obviously lost a lot from those two, but the team gave up after that. They sulked, they didn't hustle for anywhere near forty minutes a night, and they were playing like they were perfectly content to lose, shrug their shoulders, and complain about luck. I would feel a lot different about the injuries/transfers if during that season, I had felt like we had everyone busting their butts night in and night out and it just wasn't coming together because we didn't have a pg to move the ball.

It's true though. Everyone is healthy enough to play this season. No one transferred. This is the year we have all been waiting for and expectations are high-rightly so. Maybe things improve, but this team is not playing up to expectations.
They've lost one game I expected them to win. Your expectations are different from reality.

Top Bottom