Will Tracy Claeys be fired before 2017?

Interesting considering threads were removed three weeks ago on this very topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They weren't. Your "ban me" whine was merged into the game thread along with the 85 other new self-indulgent threads on the topic.

Northwestern's attendance is worse than ours but they recruit better than we do

They have a dynamic coach, recruit on a larger academic scale, and have recently won on a higher level.

I hope the decision as to whether or not to terminate Coach Claeys this year is preceded by a decision on just who will replace him. Along with a commitment from that individual tontake the job. The last thing this program needs is a lame duck HC and a consulting company giving us a list of 10 potential coaches, only to have the first six tell us to go to heck.

Very true and don't think other coaches don't use it in recruiting. "You want to play for a team that can't fill a 50,000 seat stadium?"

The Gophers average attendance was 52,355 last year.

They have a dynamic coach, recruit on a larger academic scale, and have recently won on a higher level.

NW has a fraction of the undergraduate student body. The school is primarily a graduate/finishing school for professionals (a large fraction of which are foreign). I don't know how it is in your case - but as someone with a masters degree from a different school than my undergrad school - I never really followed the school's sports I attended for my MBA.

this year.

These teams are currently tied or ranked ahead of MN in rivals recruiting rankings:

Purdue, Kansas, Temple, SMU, Illinois, Boston College, Wake Forest, Toledo, Western Kentucky, East Carolina, Army, South Florida, Western Michigan, Texas-San Antonio, Central Florida, Memphis, Iowa State.[/QUOTE]

Wow. That's not good, not good at all. Face it, Claeys brings no excitement and no enthusiasm whatsoever, and if you don't think that matters, you're wrong. Fact of the matter is there is no way this guy would be coaching a decent power 5 team if it weren't for the ineptness of the U of M administration that lead to this scenario. The Kill health issues, the Mwga tongue debacle, and the timing of it all.

Wow. That's not good, not good at all. Face it, Claeys brings no excitement and no enthusiasm whatsoever, and if you don't think that matters, you're wrong. Fact of the matter is there is no way this guy would be coaching a decent power 5 team if it weren't for the ineptness of the U of M administration that lead to this scenario. The Kill health issues, the Mwga tongue debacle, and the timing of it all.

So because Norwood Teague turned out to be a garbage human being, and because Jerry Kill has health issues, that means the U of M administration is inept?

So because Norwood Teague turned out to be a garbage human being, and because Jerry Kill has health issues, that means the U of M administration is inept?

depodoll my good man the administration has been inept in regards to football for the last 50 some years

NW has a fraction of the undergraduate student body. The school is primarily a graduate/finishing school for professionals (a large fraction of which are foreign). I don't know how it is in your case - but as someone with a masters degree from a different school than my undergrad school - I never really followed the school's sports I attended for my MBA.

Even more sad for our team. We continue to lose to programs like Northwestern.

The Gophers average attendance was 52,355 last year.

No one cares about last year. Those numbers are proof that opponents matter. There is no buzz around this team. Zero.

this year.

These teams are currently tied or ranked ahead of MN in rivals recruiting rankings:

Purdue, Kansas, Temple, SMU, Illinois, Boston College, Wake Forest, Toledo, Western Kentucky, East Carolina, Army, South Florida, Western Michigan, Texas-San Antonio, Central Florida, Memphis, Iowa State.

A lot of those teams are ranked higher because Rivals gives a ton of weight to volume for some reason.

No one cares about last year. Those numbers are proof that opponents matter. There is no buzz around this team. Zero.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but on the last page there were several posts regarding attendance and suggesting we have sh**ty fans. In reality the Gophers draw pretty well given they are in a major metropolitan area and haven't been contenders for most of the past 50+ years.

As mentioned in the other thread, we have one win against a team that finished in the top 25 in the last 17 years. It was 2013 against Nebraska and they finished right at 25 in one poll. The Gophers have generally taken care of the teams they should at home, but for the big games against ranked opponents, the fans leave disappointed every single time. Yet we're still supposed to have sell outs and this rabid fan base?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but on the last page there were several posts regarding attendance and suggesting we have sh**ty fans. In reality the Gophers draw pretty well given they are in a major metropolitan area and haven't been contenders for most of the past 50+ years.

As mentioned in the other thread, we have one win against a team that finished in the top 25 in the last 17 years. It was 2013 against Nebraska and they finished right at 25 in one poll. The Gophers have generally taken care of the teams they should at home, but for the big games against ranked opponents, the fans leave disappointed every single time. Yet we're still supposed to have sell outs and this rabid fan base?

I think big bump in 2015 ticket sales is encouraging enough to say with certainty, win and they will come.

I agree. Never win a big game at home. When we beat rivals at home, they are usually toss up games.

This is where the U needs to accept the attendance and get creative around marketing and ticket sales. Maybe families or young families.

Maybe give a coach or Claeys a 8-10 Year Contract to give stability.

With so much money coming from TV, we can afford to get creative. What will make us consistently a contender in West and top seven in Big Ten?

Gophers do not have sh!tty fans, Gophers football has good fans, that have stuck with this team and program through a lot misery and disappointment, we just need more of them (fans). Attendance and empty seats is used against us in recruiting.
Other Big 10 programs besides Northwestern use our game day against us, and the empty seats do not look good on television. Build with the younger families that cannot afford pro football and want to have fun that is your target market, and keep bringing in the students (they have been good this year) the more students we get at games year after the year the better that tradition and group will get. Students that attend during undergrad years are more likely to be converted to ticket holders as adults. Cannot do anything about the lost generation in their late 30's and 40's but we can make up for it by trying to convince them to bring the kids, and keep the students base growing.

Wisconsin lost to them in 2014 and 2015.

Ironically, doubtless, in no small part, because of Northwestern's commitment to Pat Fitzgerald. Continuity through those seasons of a mere 7-9 wins goes a long way.

They don't have to do that, but it is an easy pot shot to take against TC's appearance. I still think there are recruits parents in particular that will be negative about it. Maybe perception is not reality, in today's society I tend to error on the side of believing the crude and the obnoxious things people say are more common.

Seriously? They would have zero reason to do it. Yes, completely perception in your head, period.

If a change is made after the season (unlikely) it won't be because of Claeys's appearance or his demeanor on the sidelines. Probably won't have anything to do with a win / loss record either. There is no excitement about the program and not selling the place out on game day is the problem. I would say those are Claeys's two toughest issues beyond the on field performance.

That's pretty much self-inflicted by previous AD management and it's ticket pricing debacle...so sacrifice the coach?

100% agree with this. Jerry Kill was recruited against for having his medical issues. I assure you that in a sport that preaches strength and conditioning and discipline to the players....his weight issue is a topic of discussion whether it is fair or not.

Not by the two schools he mentioned...

Fixed it for you

i've lived in 5 different major markets and we're the worst by far dude - no one other market openly despises 'homerism' like msp does. when you have dumbasses from 1500am on billboards sayin 'hometown guys, not homers' it tells me all i need to know about the mentality of the average sports consumer

i've lived in 5 different major markets and we're the worst by far dude - no one other market openly despises 'homerism' like msp does. when you have dumbasses from 1500am on billboards sayin 'hometown guys, not homers' it tells me all i need to know about the mentality of the average sports consumer

The media I agree with. But the fans, not really. It's the same in many cities. When you lose a lot, people don't go to games just about anywhere you go.

The media I agree with. But the fans, not really. It's the same in many cities. When you lose a lot, people don't go to games just about anywhere you go.

Think he is saying the number of sports $$ options + market size is a large factor. Been stated many time before, but it is a fact.

Think he is saying the number of sports $$ options + market size is a large factor. Been stated many time before, but it is a fact.

I agree with that. His original post stated this is a frontrunning sports market. I think that is the case in many markets.

I agree with that. His original post stated this is a frontrunning sports market. I think that is the case in many markets.

Most or many? Big difference in my book. I'd be hard pressed to name more than a handful that aren't a lot larger.

Negative recruiting is used in the Big10

Seriously? They would have zero reason to do it. Yes, completely perception in your head, period.

Just like it was when Glen Mason was looking for jobs, and other coaches would indicate he isn't going to be at Minnesota.
Negative recruiting was used against Jerry Kill because of health and seizure factors, it's not perception and it may not be the coaches themselves but subordinates and recruiting staff would.
Same with the pot shots against Claeys, although I think it is more like along the lines he only has a three year contract, has a low buyout, and and new Boss in the AD, but I do think parents look at it and it is an easy pot shot with out society to have a negative reaction. One reason I am pulling for this group of coaches is we need the continuity and to continue to build the program.

We also need a revision is scholarship seating to what people will pay and what the market will bear. You don't go bam all the chair back seats are scholarship seating and expect people to not negatively react especially the amount of the increases. We need more zones, within the stadium, there is some desirable facets of where you sit at in this stadium, then just simply saying this should all be the same price. Especially as you go lower in the bowl with worse sitelines downstairs, and increased viewing in the lower bowl upstairs. Their should be family section in the stadium that is free of the beer and Alcohol in my opinion like other venues in town.

Just like it was when Glen Mason was looking for jobs, and other coaches would indicate he isn't going to be at Minnesota.
Negative recruiting was used against Jerry Kill because of health and seizure factors, it's not perception and it may not be the coaches themselves but subordinates and recruiting staff would.
Same with the pot shots against Claeys, although I think it is more like along the lines he only has a three year contract, has a low buyout, and and new Boss in the AD, but I do think parents look at it and it is an easy pot shot with out society to have a negative reaction. One reason I am pulling for this group of coaches is we need the continuity and to continue to build the program.

We also need a revision is scholarship seating to what people will pay and what the market will bear. You don't go bam all the chair back seats are scholarship seating and expect people to not negatively react especially the amount of the increases. We need more zones, within the stadium, there is some desirable facets of where you sit at in this stadium, then just simply saying this should all be the same price. Especially as you go lower in the bowl with worse sitelines downstairs, and increased viewing in the lower bowl upstairs. Their should be family section in the stadium that is free of the beer and Alcohol in my opinion like other venues in town.

First, big difference between your Mas example and what you are saying about TC. Second, my response was specifically about the two schools stated in the post, same with my follow up posts.

Top Bottom