Will Tracy Claeys be fired before 2017?

Yup. I am totally bewildered by people demanding coaching change. Somehow they feel they can demand change on the internet and the Gophers will be better. Doesn't work that way in real life.

I had the misfortune of turning to 1500 KSTP a bit earlier forgetting that Ruesse was already done, and they had a replay of Judd Zulgud and Phil Mackey on. Those two know nothing about College Football, but they sure like being critical of the University.

One of them cited a timeout called with 21 seconds left before the pre-halftime field goal as a reason for Claeys being fired. They apparently should have called the timeout with 3 seconds left, because it is all about attention of to detail! What a couple of frauds and idiots.

Oh and he isn't energetic looking enough (veiled reference by the hosts to TC being overweight) and a high octane PR guy like Lou Holtz, Jim Harbaugh, no now apparently Jerry Kill was. That is right when I think of guys like Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, or Harbaugh, Jerry Kill is always the next name that comes to mind, right. Kill had a ol' country boy, simple man script, as Ruesse pointed out, and it was starting to get sort of old, since it was very clear he was not exactly that.

I had the misfortune of turning to 1500 KSTP a bit earlier forgetting that Ruesse was already done, and they had a replay of Judd Zulgud and Phil Mackey on. Those two know nothing about College Football, but they sure like being critical of the University.

One of them cited a timeout called with 21 seconds left before the pre-halftime field goal as a reason for Claeys being fired. They apparently should have called the timeout with 3 seconds left, because it is all about attention of to detail! What a couple of frauds and idiots.

Oh and he isn't energetic looking enough (veiled reference by the hosts to TC being overweight) and a high octane PR guy like Lou Holtz, Jim Harbaugh, no now apparently Jerry Kill was. That is right when I think of guys like Urban Meyer, Pete Carroll, or Harbaugh, Jerry Kill is always the next name that comes to mind, right. Kill had a ol' country boy, simple man script, as Ruesse pointed out, and it was starting to get sort of old, since it was very clear he was not exactly that.

People have been making a stink about the TO in the 1st half. I can't remember if there was a reason for the time out. It was 4 and 5 up 9 on the 25. May have been considering to go for it instead of 42 yd. FG in cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have been making a stink about the TO in the 1st half. I can't remember if there was a reason for the time out. It was 4 and 5 up 9 on the 25. May have been considering to go for it instead of 42 yd. FG in cold.

Are we talking about the TO that jNU called?

NM.
4th and 5 at jNU 25. Gopher TO w/ 26 seconds left. 0:21 left after we made the FG.

No, Claeys took a time out at 26 seconds left on 4&5 with the clock running.

Someone (poorly worded) asked about it today at the press conference and
Claeys really didn't remember it. Says after Monday he's forgotten much of previous game and moved on.

In all honesty, the discussion of whether or not Claeys deserves an extension is pure lunacy. It was pure lunacy BEFORE the NW win. It is pure lunacy for the following reasons.

Our program is in its best shape in over a decade (probably since around 2003ish).

I'm not re-hashing an old debate, but we are better today than when we fired Mason. The 2006 team almost lost to NDSU (a much worse version of NDSU than now). All of our wins were against bad teams and we went 6-6. When Mason was fired, the cupboard was bare. That contributed to the Tim Brewster dumpster fire. If Claeys was fired today, the next coach would be walking into a team with its best players all being JRs and SOs. I understand Mason built up a lot of equity that Claeys has not. I get it. I am just pointing out that our program is its best shape since the middle of the Mason years.

The critics will then point to recruiting. . .

We know very little about Tracy Claeys and his staff when it comes to recruiting. Recruiting is all about bringing in as much talent as you can to the program. Ranking services do matter, they are accurate and they do a decent job of predicting future success. However, for programs who can't bring those highly recruited players in, they must flourish at identifying under the radar guys and utilizing them in the right system. I normally wouldn't get into this debate because Claeys is in his first year as a coach because it is impossible to judge recruiting that early. However, since it has been brought up by the naysayers. . . this might be our best FR class in my lifetime. And, I'm in my 30's. Carter, Martin, Winfield, Devers have all showed that they can play at the Big 10 level, already. They are true freshman. It really looks like the first class Claeys signed will be special. Now, I realize that most of this recruiting was done with Kill as the head coach, my point is that, at a minimum, the jury is still out Claeys as a recruiter. We have to wait a year or two from now to really judge him on that point.

As far as the bulk of players supporting him, well yeah. They lived it. They understand that 8 wins, with a chance at 9 and then a Bowl Game equals a good season at Minnesota. Most of them probably only had 1 year that good and it was their highlight season.

+1000

Gopher fans are long suffering fans with 50 years of PTSD. It will take many many years of winning therapy to exorcise the losing demons.

Look, there are the Tracy Claeys detractors and supporters. One thing we can all agree on - everyone here in GH, alumni, boosters, and Gopher fans in general want to see the program succeed.

Take a deep breath. It is okay to think that we can succeed under Tracy Claeys.

An 8-3 record in his first full tenure as head coach with a chance to win at least one more under a rebuilding program started by Jerry Kill is not bad at all. Give Tracy Claeys a chance to succeed. We are not too far off from separating from the bottom tier of the B1G.

If you fire him after his first year, what kind of message are you sending out to coaching prospects? What sane big name coach (or any coach) would want this job? You see how the previous coach you are replacing is treated unreasonably. Recruiting can be a challenge. You can be fired without being given a chance to succeed because of unrealistic and immediate high expectations. All that outrageous money in the facilities arms race and dough through fat TV contracts can only fuel the pressure to win. Get our money's worth now and put butts in the stands. Don't forget the extremely negative media. Yeah, I'll go to Minnesota where AD Mark Coyle can fire me after my first or second year. Oh wait, I better get a $12 million dollar a year guaranteed buyout for the remainder of my contract.

I think Mark Coyl has more class than some people may think.

+1000

Gopher fans are long suffering fans with 50 years of PTSD. It will take many many years of winning therapy to exorcise the losing demons.

Look, there are the Tracy Claeys detractors and supporters. One thing we can all agree on - everyone here in GH, alumni, boosters, and Gopher fans in general want to see the program succeed.

Take a deep breath. It is okay to think that we can succeed under Tracy Claeys.

An 8-3 record in his first full tenure as head coach with a chance to win at least one more under a rebuilding program started by Jerry Kill is not bad at all. Give Tracy Claeys a chance to succeed. We are not too far off from separating from the bottom tier of the B1G.

If you fire him after his first year, what kind of message are you sending out to coaching prospects? What sane big name coach (or any coach) would want this job? You see how the previous coach you are replacing is treated unreasonably. Recruiting can be a challenge. You can be fired without being given a chance to succeed because of unrealistic and immediate high expectations. All that outrageous money in the facilities arms race and dough through fat TV contracts can only fuel the pressure to win. Get our money's worth now and put butts in the stands. Don't forget the extremely negative media. Yeah, I'll go to Minnesota where AD Mark Coyle can fire me after my first or second year. Oh wait, I better get a $12 million dollar a year guaranteed buyout for the remainder of my contract.

I think Mark Coyl has more class than some people may think.

With you on the first part but not the part in bold. At this point the only reason Coyle makes a change is if he feels like he has "his" guy lined up ready to take the job. That said, coaches get that when a new AD takes over they often want to get their people in place at the key sports. Coyle inherited Claeys so if he feels he has a better option who would take the job I could see him making a change even with the 8+ wins.

There also is more to it than just the # of wins. We have 8 wins and are unranked which tells you something about the quality of teams we have played this season and the lack of impressive wins outside of maybe Northwestern. Attendance at the Bank is at its lowest level ever (Norwood gets a major assist on this one) and the general excitement around the team is pretty low. My gut tells me Coyle won't make a coaching change but I also don't think he would be nuts if wanted to.

With you on the first part but not the part in bold. At this point the only reason Coyle makes a change is if he feels like he has "his" guy lined up ready to take the job. That said, coaches get that when a new AD takes over they often want to get their people in place at the key sports. Coyle inherited Claeys so if he feels he has a better option who would take the job I could see him making a change even with the 8+ wins.

There also is more to it than just the # of wins. We have 8 wins and are unranked which tells you something about the quality of teams we have played this season and the lack of impressive wins outside of maybe Northwestern. Attendance at the Bank is at its lowest level ever (Norwood gets a major assist on this one) and the general excitement around the team is pretty low. My gut tells me Coyle won't make a coaching change but I also don't think he would be nuts if wanted to.

And Claeys somehow is responsible for the quality of the teams the Gophers have played? And while we're at it, let's blame him for the high ticket prices and policies driving away season ticket holders....

And Claeys somehow is responsible for the quality of the teams the Gophers have played? And while we're at it, let's blame him for the high ticket prices and policies driving away season ticket holders....

Yeah, it's tough when we start placing attendance expectations on the HC as well, but it is what it is. For Tracy, I think he can do his part helping attendance by winning more games. Other coaches might be able to drum up more excitement with their personality, but that's just not our Coach. He wins some more games, and make the AD/PR department work on the attendance part.

Yeah, it's tough when we start placing attendance expectations on the HC as well, but it is what it is. For Tracy, I think he can do his part helping attendance by winning more games. Other coaches might be able to drum up more excitement with their personality, but that's just not our Coach. He wins some more games, and make the AD/PR department work on the attendance part.

Let's assume Claeys was your financial adviser and in Jan. he states your portfolio will have its best year and then in Dec. you see that the performance = street averages. would you fire your financial adviser?

I've made this point several times over the years. I would love for the people complaining about the schedule to post a detailed list about which wins are "acceptable" before the season starts. It would be interesting to get the same people's August take on Michigan St., Notre Dame, Iowa from year to year, how Wisconsin will finally be down, etc., etc.

It's his job to have his team better than the other teams in the conference. This entails entirely much more than just game day.

Not what I said at all but feel free to interpret however you want. All I am trying to say in regards to the schedule and who we have beaten, is that the 8 wins alone given the competition is not enough to erase all possibility that Coyle would make a change.

And right in my post I gave Norwood credit for the season ticket decline but on that same token Claeys is not a rah rah salesman type who will get out and promote the program and try to fire up the fanbase. Just not the way he is wired.

Again, I don't think Coyle will make a change but if he does I won't be shocked either. Go out and beat Wisconsin Saturday and there is no point even having this discussion as Claeys would be guaranteed and extension at that point.

Let's assume Claeys was your financial adviser and in Jan. he states your portfolio will have its best year and then in Dec. you see that the performance = street averages. would you fire your financial adviser?

I'm pretty sure he stated that we should be the best team since he got here.

So in your scenario, this would be like your financial advisor stating you should have the best year since you started working with him 6 years ago. You get 10 months into the year and so far you're essentially tied for the best year you've ever had with this financial advisor. There is still time for it to exceed anything else you've seen with this guy, but you're threatening to move to another financial advisor now.

This isn't an average season for this program. Did you just become a Gophers fan this week? I hope 5 years from now we can say this is just an average season for the Gophers.

Far as I can tell, our results are above the market average this year, but don't let little things like facts get in the way of your opinion of Claeys.

Overall avg wins in big ten: 6.29
Overall median wins in big ten: 6

Conf avg wins: 4
Conf median wins: 4.5

Overall Gophers wins: 8
Conf Gophers wins: 5

By all measures above average.

I've made this point several times over the years. I would love for the people complaining about the schedule to post a detailed list about which wins are "acceptable" before the season starts. It would be interesting to get the same people's August take on Michigan St., Notre Dame, Iowa from year to year, how Wisconsin will finally be down, etc., etc.

It's his job to have his team better than the other teams in the conference. This entails entirely much more than just game day.

Where are all the people complaining about the schedule? If by complaining you mean pointing out that we have built our record by beating bad teams then sure, that isn't complaining, it is just a fact. You still have to win the games on the schedule and to the teams/Claeys credit we have won the games we were supposed to.

Going into the season there looked like there were 7 wins sitting there for the taking and it has played out exactly that way with Oregon State, Indiana State, Colorado State, Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland and Purdue. The other 5 were more up in the air and so far we have gone 1-3 in those games. Obviously you never really know how the season is going to play out but in terms of the Big Ten this year the only real surprises have been how good Penn State has been and how much Michigan State has struggled.

So in the end how do we stack up against the rest of the conference? At this point we are solidly in the middle of the pack.

No but this is a terrible example. If you hire or fire a financial advisor based on his predictions rather than his performance you are an idiot and will soon be a broke idiot.

For the record it's my belief that Tracy gets an extension but there seems to be an overstatement of this years accomplishments. By advanced stats measures we've regressed vs last year, a year in which we suffered historic losses from injuries at key positions. We are 2+ TD dogs to Wisconsin. We struggled to beat some pretty bad teams. Maryland and Illinois were starting rookie QBs. We absolutely should not have lost to Iowa. Wierd personnel decisions. I think he still has a lot to prove.
Two games to go - Tracy make us proud.

yet, it is sold exactly like that.

Some advice: when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

It's free advice so do with it as you will. You don't like Claeys. I get it. Just don't like him, don't create ad hominem arguments in an attempt to justify your dislike.

Don't remember Claeys saying that it will be Minnesota's best year even though they still have a shot at that or even the 2nd best year since 2003. Heck, well not but it might be only the 2nd they get to 9 wins since. Well, I don't know. I only went back to 1957 and quit looking.

Your scenario sounds way more like a pitch from a financial advisor that covets your portfolio because it is sizable and has had a lot of sustained growth. Someone that really doesn't care if your portfolio is better off with them or not. They just want the job.

We know. That's been happening to us for years now. Oh and our portfolio is doing very well thank you.:eek:

I don't think you understand how this works.

If my street adviser told me to buy a crappy stock (Gopher football over the last 10 years) and I put money into that stock and that stock is now above average. . . Yes. I would absolutely keep that financial adviser.

If you really want to shoehorn your awful financial analogy into this situation, it's like this:

If you buy the expensive stocks (Ohio State, Texas, etc.) and they start dipping closer to average. Get rid of that adviser. So like, if Ohio State had an 8 win season. . . it's a sign of trouble.

If you buy inexpensive stock (U of MN, Purdue, Illinois, etc.) and they start trending toward average. Keep that adviser. So if you're at MN, an 8 win season is a really a good sign.

All-in-all, it's an awful analogy, but if you really insist on using it. This was makes WAY more sense.

Then turn them into the SEC (that would be the Securities and Exchange Commission, not the football conference).

If I send an email that reads "I guarantee that the Gophers will beat the badgers this weekend" it gets flagged and reviewed by the SEC. It falls under rule 204-2.

If you would actually trust an advisor that would say that...well, I just can't help you.

[source: Am advisor with over $15BB in AUM]

A better measure is whether you advisor has a record of or is beating a chosen index, after fees. I'd say Tracy has matched expectations per advanced stats projections but I don't think he's dramatically overperformed given our weak opponents. Our status depends on how you frame the argument and expectations going forward.

Spot on

My gut says Coyle won't make a change this year. He has probably spent a ton of time behind the scenes figuring out how to rectify the scholarship seating debacle and he and some of his new hires will spend the off-season figuring out how to get more butts in the seats. I'm guessing he's pretty happy that MBB has started out well and there is some buzz which will hopefully put more butts in the barn this winter and that men's hockey has started out ok after giving Lucia an extension. Coyle inherited three messes and they all seem to be improved. He has to change the perception that the U is a mess(ok maybe it is/was) but right now it is doing pretty well. Let's not forget Volleyball being in the top 3 most of the fall and soccer winning B1G Championship. Lots to improve but I think an extension to Tracy is warranted. A win Saturday will go a long way towards changing that perception.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let's hope Coyle has the discernment to avoid the bernie madoffs of the college football world.

Top Bottom