Will Tracy Claeys be fired before 2017?

Let's assume Claeys was your financial adviser and in Jan. he states your portfolio will have its best year and then in Dec. you see that the performance = street averages. would you fire your financial adviser?

This angle is the most childish argument out there. You are honestly upset that TC said we have his best team and that he set the expectations high? WTF? Some coaches always say the opposite. Who cares? Results are all that matter. 8 wins and counting BTW.

You honestly think TC would deserve to be fired less if he instead said "we might have a chance to tie for the West this year, but I don't believe we can win it outright". Hell, then he wouldn't have disappointed you?

Fire him because he expected more this year or at least said so to motivate. That is so absurd I don't even have words to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This angle is the most childish argument out there. You are honestly upset that TC said we have his best team and that he set the expectations high? WTF? Some coaches always say the opposite. Who cares? Results are all that matter. 8 wins and counting BTW.

You honestly think TC would deserve to be fired less if he instead said "we might have a chance to tie for the West this year, but I don't believe we can win it outright". Hell, then he wouldn't have disappointed you?

Fire him because he expected more this year or at least said so to motivate. That is so absurd I don't even have words to describe it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's funny is people jumped on Kill for underselling sometimes.

Here's where I sit - I like Claeys, but I don't love him. If he stays, I can live with that. If he goes, won't break my heart. (unless the AD completely botches the hiring of a new coach)

If Coyle is going to make a change, he'd better have a darn good coach lined up and ready to go. If they drop Claeys, and turn around and present the fans with another search firm, search committee, search focus group cluster-bleep, they'll be lucky to average 35,000 a game next season for FB.

Here's where I sit - I like Claeys, but I don't love him. If he stays, I can live with that. If he goes, won't break my heart. (unless the AD completely botches the hiring of a new coach)

If Coyle is going to make a change, he'd better have a darn good coach lined up and ready to go. If they drop Claeys, and turn around and present the fans with another search firm, search committee, search focus group cluster-bleep, they'll be lucky to average 35,000 a game next season for FB.

I'm pretty much in same boat, but a little more emphatic, if they dump Claeys, they better have a reasonable target in Mind

This is pretty much my thoughts as well.

I'm with you as well. If he beats Wisconsin, he has earned his extension.

Minnesotans eat that kind of stuff up. Mason at the end of his time here kept saying that Gopher Fans better be ready for a long rebuilding year. Some fans took that as an excuse and a "here we go again" and were happy to see him fired. Most fans though were and still are appalled that he was let-go. Mainly because they believed he took the Gophers as far as they could go. He got to the ceiling.

Then Brewster came in. Big time salesman, no track record. He told people the goal was to get to that Rose Bowl. He was on the operating room table the moment he set the bar "too high" for most Minnesotans. He was a corpse after his first season. Started rising from dead when they started they next season at 7-1, was buried for good when they finished at 7-6.

That made a lot of people very happy though.

Then Kill comes in with his "uh shucks, things around here really stink don't they?"

That made people REALLY happy! "See, I told you so! Things were really bad!"

Claeys was probably right about the team having the most talent since he got here. Challenging for the title until the 11th game of season. Still got a chance to get 9 or 10 wins. That would be a strong accomplishment for the Gophers. His biggest mistake may have been not telling people that things were really gonna be awful this year.

May have been given a 10 year extension for that alone.

Wonder what the reaction will be if they hire a big time salesman type who DOES have a track record.

He better really win that first press conference.

Well said, I totally agree that Coyle only makes a move if he has a replacement already lined up ready to step in. The team has done too well to justify firing the coach and starting from scratch with a full search for a replacement.

Well said, I totally agree that Coyle only makes a move if he has a replacement already lined up ready to step in. The team has done too well to justify firing the coach and starting from scratch with a full search for a replacement.

And how does that exactly work with the season still going on unless it's someone not coaching right now who fits as an over the moon get as a HC (super unlikely)? Given the scenario, are you saying that Coyle told this candidate that it depends on how TC does in the next two games, so he should just hang tight for 6 weeks?

And how does that exactly work with the season still going on unless it's someone not coaching right now who fits as an over the moon get as a HC (super unlikely)? Given the scenario, are you saying that Coyle told this candidate that it depends on how TC does in the next two games, so he should just hang tight for 6 weeks?

I don't think it's happening, but they certainly have people behind the scenes that talk. For example, Tubby resigned on the same day he was hired by the U. Most people believe there was a lot of convo behind the scenes during the season even.

In this scenario, it would almost have to not matter how Claeys did in the last few games. If you're firing an 8-4 coach at the U, that would have to be the case anyway.

I don't think it's happening, but they certainly have people behind the scenes that talk. For example, Tubby resigned on the same day he was hired by the U. Most people believe there was a lot of convo behind the scenes during the season even.

In this scenario, it would almost have to not matter how Claeys did in the last few games. If you're firing an 8-4 coach at the U, that would have to be the case anyway.

So when, in this scenario, would he hire the new coach?

As I have already stated in other comments I don't expect Coyle to make a change but if he does it will be because he already had something unofficial in the works with the guy that he wanted to hire. Or are we going to pretend like informal conversations never take place behind the scenes?

Completely agree that the only way Coyle should fire TC is if he has his guy in his back pocket. An open search would be insane after the result of the first season under TC -- even with a loss on Saturday. But, that guy would certainly want to bring in his own staff. And I'd hate to see the rebuilding that would take place in that respect. There's a good chance that several coaches would need to go that have brought the program back from life support. For that reason I much prefer the scenario where TC is extended.

Many suggest that a move needs to be made as we have reached some kind of ceiling under TC. There's much too small of a sample size to have this opinion. Things need to play out a bit more under the current staff to render a verdict. I do find that Coyle's relative silence on all things football to be rather odd and definitely don't engender confidence that he believes in Claeys. (Though I could just be missing some of this as I'm not in the Twin Cities market.) Hopefully TC can pull off the upset win on Saturday and guarantee an extension. What would be interesting in that scenario is how Coyle reacts. How swiftly? What does he say? Was a W in that game needed to secure an extension? Clearly this is a massively hypothetical scenario. But what's in Coyle's head will have such a huge impact on what happens next and he appears to be holding his cards very close to the vest.

As I have already stated in other comments I don't expect Coyle to make a change but if he does it will be because he already had something unofficial in the works with the guy that he wanted to hire. Or are we going to pretend like informal conversations never take place behind the scenes?

Yep, talking about the scenario where he does. He tells the guy to wait until when? After Saturday...after the bowl game? Signs him right now (highly unlikely)? Heaven forbid Gophs win their next two games.

Honestly, maybe Coyle's that stupid (he's not), but I'm amazed that posters here don't think it through beyond a first thought...

Yep, talking about the scenario where he does. He tells the guy to wait until when? After Saturday...after the bowl game? Signs him right now (highly unlikely)? Heaven forbid Gophs win their next two games.

Honestly, maybe Coyle's that stupid (he's not), but I'm amazed that posters here don't think it through beyond a first thought...

What posters are you arguing with exactly? Those of us that are saying it could happen are almost all saying it is highly unlikely. But I will bite, if the scenario were to play out it would depend entirely on who the coach was that Coyle was planning to bring in. If the coach is not currently coaching anywhere else then yeah Coyle could tell the guy to sit tight until after the Wisconsin game and then make his move. If the new coach is currently at another school then it would be a matter of waiting until both teams regular seasons were done before making a move.

Obviously a win against Wisconsin would scrap any plans Coyle might have because he would know it would be a PR nightmare to fire a coach with 9 wins and a victory over Wisconsin to his name.

Coyle has been around the block, he gets how things work so he will do whatever he thinks is best for the program now and in the future. If I had to bet I would say he gives Claeys an extension but we will all know for sure after the Wisconsin game based on how he handles things.

The bigger question is will he be fired before setting foot back in MN?

Let's focus on the positives. At least he has a parking space at work he can use while he's upstairs picking up his personal possessions.

Top Bottom