Who do you have as your Gameday guest picker?

:clap:

Ok, ok, I’ll revise my number to 96-97% of Americans don’t know them by name. My mother is going through an HGTV phase, usually found more in that 20-30 something narcissism phase demo. Chip is actually really affable. Seems like a fun guy.
Is it narcissism to enjoy watching homes being renovated? If it is, I guess I'm a narcissist.

Chip and Joana Gaines? Most everyone under 30 has heard of them. Guessing you're older.
Yeah - they are pretty famous. Have their own product line at Target, books published, a magazine. Probably some of the more widely recognizable "pickers" ESPN has used.

Casey O'Brien from his hospital bed.

Get better Casey!

You guys weren’t joking? Oops.

Hey, each their own no need to get touchy. We all have our intense interests and hobbies and phases. My wife and I went through an HGTV binge in our late 20s, bought a foreclosure, etc. I just checked ratings on their show and looks like it never cracked top 100 in ratings at its peak. Point being, relatively minor reality celebrities. My kids and their friends love DanTDM, PewdePie, etc for example and a certain demographic would get pretty hot about meeting them and certain other Youtubers but I seriously doubt they have universal reach beyond a certain (but intensely loyal) audience

I think a large demographic for Game Day is kind of southern bible belt? The Coming to Your City Song has the same vibe as MNF Hank Williams JR's tune.

Enough talk about Chip and Joana we're gonna have a MONSTER NCAA Champion and UFC World Champion (and WWE World Champion for those that like the fake stuff) that was not only a Gopher but a football player that went out for the Vikings and made his home in Alex for a long time!

Fingers still crossed

What a time to be alive. A full on Chip and Joanna Gaines conversation spanning multiple pages on a thread for the build up of the biggest, most important Gopher game in more than a generation.

Full disclosure, I would love to have a beer with Chip.

In fairness, it's a thread about a "celebrity picker" - not exactly about the game itself.

These are all great "Boomer" pop culture icons, but most Millennial/College Agers have no idea who they are.
Well then they should. Anyone who cant quote "Fargo" isnt a true Minnesotan.

Is Lesner really that well-known? I wrestled in HS and was at The U during Lesner's time (had his massive poster in my dorm room). But I don't follow UFC or WWE and honestly didn't know he was still involved, much less the defending champion. So is he more niche like the HGTV couple?

I personally like when they have non-sports people pick. Like Katy Perry or Matthew McConaughey. Love the suggestions of someone like Lizzo.

How about Justin Timberlake? He's friends with the marching band. :p

Last edited:

Is Lesner really that well-known? I wrestled in HS and was at The U during Lesner's time (had his massive poster in my dorm room). But I don't follow UFC or WWE and honestly didn't know he was still involved, much less the defending champion. So is he more niche like the HGTV couple?

I personally like when they have non-sports people pick. Like Katy Perry or Matthew McConaughey. Love the suggestions of someone like Lizzo. Could we get Jessica Biel to come home? She's from Ely and married to Justin Timberlake, who is friends with the U's marching band.
In the sports world Brock Lesnar is extremely well known...

Haven' seen this one listed but an obvious choice Ray Christainsen (sp)

Haven' seen this one listed but an obvious choice Ray Christainsen (sp)

Sorry if I am breaking news to you but Ray is no longer with us.

So, it looks like it won't be Dungy...in a tweet about being in Atlanta for tomorrow's Saints-Falcons game, someone asked him if he'd be here. His response:

Screenshot_20191127-125923.png

Unless he's playing it cool here (possible), it won't be Dungy.

Is there anybody unbiased that could pick in that game? Lol

Top Bottom