Week 7 Other Games Thread

And on that, a better question: Can Iowa score on us? Their starting QB and both starting TEs are hurt. Their one offensive TD was by their run game, which is also in my opinion a strength of our defense. Their usual strategy of scoring early and making it enough doesn't work if they can't score. They can't blindside our secondary early if their two NFL-caliber tight ends are out.
I would've felt better about the answer to your question before the NW game. I don't have a lot of confidence in that bunch this year compared to years past.

Iowa’s starting QB is out and both NFL-bound TEs are probably out for the Gopher game (Lachey for sure). Unless we choke, we should hold Iowa’s much-depleted offense to a low number (although the Ferentz psychic/mental grip over PJ might blow that up). Only way Iowa should get big points is by exploiting turnovers for TDs and/or a continuous, substantial field position advantage. What are the odds Iowa can pull that scenario off against the Gophers? 🙁

Last edited:

I'm already nervous after watching Iowa knocking the ball loose and ball hawking like they usually do.

Iowa has been out gained in 6 of their 7 games this year…. won 5 of those 6 games.

ND looking very good 1st half. The Brisket Man's offense very capabe of a big comeback, but 3 picks in the 1st half is not something I expected.

I'm posting the box score from the Iowa-Wisconsin game.

Here's what jumps out, to me:

Iowa had 200 yards rushing on 48 carries. That's 4.16 yards per attempt. But look closer: Leshon Williams had an 82-yard run for a TD. That's the only explosive play, and the only TD scored by either team. Other than that play, Iowa ran for 118 yards on 47 carries — which is 2.5 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, Iowa had 14 total pass attempts for 37 total yards.

Iowa stayed with their game plan, patiently, almost stubbornly, and just kept 'pounding the rock'. They let their all-world punter put their opponent in terrible field position, time after time. They allowed their defense to do their thing.

Iowa had no turnovers. Wisconsin had an interception and lost a fumble. Iowa wins the turnover battle, 2 to 0.

The result: Iowa won a rivalry game by 9 points, on the road... in a game in which they were 8.5 point underdogs!

This is no fluke. They do it all the time. This is simply what Iowa does, and what Iowa is.

I have to give them respect. They don't get enough credit. They know who and what they are, and they win with it.

Last edited:

Not even AI can figure out the West division.

1697332516396.png

Roulette anyone?

1697332577872.png

Texas Tech-KState game on FS1. Freshman QB for Tech just took them 99 yards for a TD. Starter out with an injury and this kid looks pretty good.

Minnesota's problems are definitely not because of offensive play-calling.

Minnesota must execute better on offense, and must play defense on a level closer to what the Gophers played at over the last few seasons.

We already have a better OC on the staff now. Don’t need to poach.

Hopefully he’ll be calling plays for he Iowa game, like he did in 2021.

Play calling is definitely part of the problem. Better play calling helps the guys execute better.

If a receiver drops a pass on third down that would have resulted in a first down — that is in effect a turnover.

If a QB misses a wide open receiver on third down — that is in effect a turnover.

If a runner gains 8 yards on a third-and-five play, and somebody is called for holding on the play, negating the run — that is in effect a turnover.

Sometimes it's about executing. Correctly executing the plays that they've practiced all week is on the players.

Sometimes, to win the tournament, you have to drain that 6-foot putt. It's all on you. Make the putt and win, or miss it and finish second. At that point, you simply have to execute.

It ain't always about play-calling.

Iowa wins because they keep it simple, and the players execute when it counts.

They aren't tricking anybody. They aren't playing three-dimensional chess.

They have a simple plan, they believe in it, and they stick with it.

I'm posting the box score from the Iowa-Wisconsin game.

Here's what jumps out, to me:

Iowa had 200 yards rushing on 48 carries. That's 4.16 yards per attempt. But look closer: Leshon Williams had an 82-yard run for a TD. That's the only explosive play, and the only TD scored by either team. Other than that play, Iowa ran for 118 yards on 47 carries — which is 2.5 yards per carry.

Meanwhile, Iowa had 14 total pass attempts for 37 total yards.

Iowa stayed with their game plan, patiently, almost stubbornly, and just kept 'pounding the rock'. They let their all-world punter put their opponent in terrible field position, time after time. They allowed their defense to do their thing.

Iowa had no turnovers. Wisconsin had an interception and lost a fumble. Iowa wins the turnover battle, 2 to 0.

The result: Iowa won a rivalry game by 9 points, on the road... in a game in which they were 8.5 point underdogs!

This is no fluke. They do it all the time. This is simply what Iowa does, and what Iowa is.

I have to give them respect. They don't get enough credit. They know who and what they are, and they win with it.
Iowa also punted 9 times and turned it over on downs once. Normally, those numbers would bode very poorly for a team. Iowa, however, is also expert at using the punt to flip the field. I think we have at least as much talent as what Iowa will put on the field next Saturday, but we haven’t put it together yet. Hope springs eternal. Go Gophers.

Iowa also punted 9 times and turned it over on downs once. Normally, those numbers would bode very poorly for a team. Iowa, however, is also expert at using the punt to flip the field. I think we have at least as much talent as what Iowa will put on the field next Saturday, but we haven’t put it together yet. Hope springs eternal. Go Gophers.

Iowa doesn't see punting as a failure. They see it as a strength and an advantage for them, and they exploit it.

ND looking very good 1st half. The Brisket Man's offense very capabe of a big comeback, but 3 picks in the 1st half is not something I expected.
USC that did everything it could to lose last week vs another team that beat them … at trying to lose.

USC has talent but is also wonky. They had a butt kicking coming.

I bet ND watching film couldn’t wait to play.

Well, I see why Mack Brown wanted Tez Walker so badly for UNC. The last time I looked he was 5 for 125 yds and 3 TDs.

Top Bottom