Week 7 Other Games Thread

Indiana had something cooking and then....

Just goes to show how unimaginative PJ lets his offense be. Do you think he would ever call a play like Indiana just did? He would have a nightmare in his sleep if he even dreamed it. You think Michigan Dbacks are going to come running to make a stop anymore like they did on that.

Which Group of 5 team will get ranked in the top 25? Those getting votes this past week are Tulane, Wyoming and Air Force (and James Madison with a very few votes).
  • Tulane and Memphis were both 4-1 going into yesterday's game. Tulane dominated in the second half for the win.
  • Wyoming (5-1) and Air Force (5-0) play each other tonight. Wyoming's one loss is at Texas, a game I went to. Wyoming held their own in the first half, and then got blown out in the second, but I was pretty impressed at their level of play.

I didn't think Indiana would have better personnel 7 years into the PJ era. Solid defense and better QB/O-line at this point

I didn't think Indiana would have better personnel 7 years into the PJ era. Solid defense and better QB/O-line at this point

Agreed, you also have to take into account that Indiana had to patch this thing together with a lot of guys transferring out and then I think Indiana had to bring in at least 15 transfers. So, considering that and the fact that they look a lot more solid than we did is not a great look. Not to mention the guys Indiana brings in for transfers are not 4 stars and are a lot of mid-tier guys.

Which Group of 5 team will get ranked in the top 25? Those getting votes this past week are Tulane, Wyoming and Air Force (and James Madison with a very few votes).
  • Tulane and Memphis were both 4-1 going into yesterday's game. Tulane dominated in the second half for the win.
  • Wyoming (5-1) and Air Force (5-0) play each other tonight. Wyoming's one loss is at Texas, a game I went to. Wyoming held their own in the first half, and then got blown out in the second, but I was pretty impressed at their level of play.
The job Troy Calhoun is doing and has done for years at Air Force is so underrated.

Didn't say anything about his past record; just going by what I see on field vs. Michigan today. Obviously better than current Gopher squad

Wouldn't they have a better record then if they have better personnel? They aren't all brand new this season.

Just because a team hangs with a team for a quarter doesn't mean they are better than the Gophers. I would take us head to head against Indiana in a heartbeat.

Agreed, you also have to take into account that Indiana had to patch this thing together with a lot of guys transferring out and then I think Indiana had to bring in at least 15 transfers. So, considering that and the fact that they look a lot more solid than we did is not a great look. Not to mention the guys Indiana brings in for transfers are not 4 stars and are a lot of mid-tier guys.
They had 23 transfers we had 19. They brought in more 4 star transfers than we did as well including the QB.

Wouldn't they have a better record then if they have better personnel? They aren't all brand new this season.

Just because a team hangs with a team for a quarter doesn't mean they are better than the Gophers. I would take us head to head against Indiana in a heartbeat.
They also had 2 weeks to prep for this game. I also would take us in the head to head

Michigan state, Rutgers
These are big ten west teams
Michigan State is not a bad club considering all the issues they have had. Won’t be a cake walk in a few weeks —-have to a good game to beat them

Michigan State is not a bad club considering all the issues they have had. Won’t be a cake walk in a few weeks —-have to a good game to beat them
Minnesota has proven they can't take anyone lightly

Minnesota has proven they can't take anyone lightly
Agree.
They could beat anyone other than Ohio state left on the schedule. They could also lose to any of them.

Agree.
They could beat anyone other than Ohio state left on the schedule. They could also lose to any of them.
You never know

TOhsu could get with huge scandal and half the roster gets suspended

Every time I think I might complain about the Goph's passing game and QB, I watch another game and see how bad some of the quarterbacking is in D1.
On the other hand, some of the quarterbacking in D1 is quite good, as evidenced by games played on Thursday & Friday:

West Virginia 39; yards passing 391
Houston 41; yards passing 253

Tulane 31; yards passing 259
Memphis 21; yards passing 321

Fresno State 37; yards passing 310
Utah State 32; yards passing 363

Stanford 46; yards passing 399
Colorado 43; yards passing 400

That's an average yards passing for those eight teams of 337 yards. That's evidence of some pretty good quarterbacking.

On the other hand, some of the quarterbacking in D1 is quite good, as evidenced by games played on Thursday & Friday:

West Virginia 39; yards passing 391
Houston 41; yards passing 253

Tulane 31; yards passing 259
Memphis 21; yards passing 321

Fresno State 37; yards passing 310
Utah State 32; yards passing 363

Stanford 46; yards passing 399
Colorado 43; yards passing 400

That's an average yards passing for those eight teams of 337 yards. That's evidence of some pretty good quarterbacking.
Or bad defense.
Interesting that the gophers are 5-0 against this list of teams the last few years.

Top Bottom