Week 6 Other Games Thread

1 game does not define a team. So any arguments you try to make around 1 game are going to be weak.

Purdue was better than Minnesota last week. That doesn’t make Purdue good or Minnesota bad. The rest of the season will define that.

But again, if your point is that Purdue is a good team simply because they beat us at home on homecoming. You have to also agree that Bowling Green is a good team.
Purdue beat a pretty good Maryland team on the road. They also beat a pretty good Minnesota team on the road. They haven’t played Bowling Green yet. So far I’d say they’re pretty good. Guess we could say they’re not good and Minnesota sucks because Minnesota has only beaten far shittier teams? We can only evaluate teams on the games that they have played to date.

Wow. PAC-12 After Dark delivers an awesome finish for those of us who stayed up to watch it. I've found the Beavers to be a team I've been rooting for more these past few years.

Wow. PAC-12 After Dark delivers an awesome finish for those of us who stayed up to watch it. I've found the Beavers to be a team I've been rooting for more these past few years.

Stanford has lost 11 in a row to FBS opponents.

Purdue beat a pretty good Maryland team on the road. They also beat a pretty good Minnesota team on the road. They haven’t played Bowling Green yet. So far I’d say they’re pretty good. Guess we could say they’re not good and Minnesota sucks because Minnesota has only beaten far shittier teams? We can only evaluate teams on the games that they have played to date.
Well at least now you’re bringing in other data points, so that’s a start. Still lots of holes in it though.

WTF was that Brian Ferentz? Iowa is moving the ball well on the ground on the drive. Then tries this stupid QB rolls to the right, then throws it across the field to the TE way behind the LOS. They lose 8 yards and can’t convert on 3rd and long.
Here’s the play.

Here’s the play.

Conservative offense
Ball on 38 (55 yard field goal from there)
6-6 game
Offense struggling

Yeah let’s throw a ball 7 yards behind LOS

Honestly 2 QB sneaks and a field goal would’ve been a better strategy there

It's a little like Chryst at Wisconsin but with a longer leash. Overall record looks good, recruiting looks good on paper, but the program is obviously heading in the wrong direction.
Really good comparison

No, I’m asking if Minnesota is good, and if Minnesota is good and Purdue is not, how do you figure that? If Minnesota wins that game by 3, is Minnesota good and Purdue is not? So far, Purdue is a good team.

Good try but attachments to certain emotional beliefs often are pretty resistant to logic or empiricism.

It’s something else. 5 of Iowa’s 13 drives went backwards. I would love to hear the conversations between Kirk and the AD about the offense.

Hey Dad, why is Paul Chryst visiting tomorrow.

Alabama State head coach makes good points.

Ole Miss are really good. Won’t be surprised at all if they beat Bama and play in Atlanta, same with Tennessee from the East
Ole Miss - Tennessee for SEC championship would be really something. After so many years of Bama dominance, with a couple scoops of Florida, a couple LSU sprinkles, and Georgia of late.

Mannings would be thrilled.

He’s completed 10 passes for 16 yards.
He had a great longer pass in the 4th quarter to put them deep in Iowa territory but then he nullified that achievement by a truly idiotic interception at the goal line. He has a pretty good completion rate (this season) but his passes usually are just very short safety type stuff. Tough to go on extended drives if you're mostly throwing those sort of passes. Purdue throws a lot of shorter passes too but often those are plays where the receivers have potential to advance the ball further.

Sitkowski is averaging 4.1 yards per attempt this season and averaged only 4.8 yards per attempt last season. DeVito was averaging 7.1 yards per attempt this season. Tanner has averaged 9.1 yards per attempt over his career and that is with the two Sanford years with significantly lower averages.

Illinois won’t beat Iowa

I agree on your take about Purdue.
I think Mn wins division going away. Everyone sucks.

I don’t think Minnesota sucks.
If we lose another game outside the @penn state game it means we suck too

If Ryan burns has Illinois as the favorite to win the west you should quit paying for his knowledge. Vegas has the gophers as the favorite. So do I
Bolded: well, I liked your thinking, but it didn't work out this time.

It's all about matchups. Team A may look good against team B, but Team A may not look good against Team C because Team C is doing different things schematically.

Illinois and Iowa are both solid defensive teams. they are built to win low-scoring, slug-it-out games. Wisconsin looked 100% better today, but they were playing a team that is really struggling.

I think every game left this season is a toss-up. and I don't see anyone running the table.
This is the problem when you have a bunch of teams playing "meh" football against each other.

It's almost impossible to try to glean any meaningful predictive power out of the results. It's just seemingly random, uncorrelated outcomes each week.

Top Bottom