WCCO Football Story

The Edmunds part was especially stupid. So another player hits him when he shouldn't have during a practice drill and somehow that is the coaching staff's fault? Not sure if 46 was Winston DeLattiboudere but the timing would fit. Just a freak accident caused by a player not doing what he was supposed to do during a drill. Unfortunate but something that can happen at any time in pretty much any sport.

Stahl is a POS who is clearly trying to profit off this situation. What a joke of a story. Not as bad as Fox 9's breaking news about college hockey players drinking but not far off.
Some things about this story that don't sit just right. 1. The tackle on Edmunds looked like a nice form tackle to me. Not a dirty hit but one that was probably not necessary in that practice situation. If they had been running the Oklahoma drill for hours on end, that would be another story. Also, some guys always play harder than necessary in those type of drills. I had a student who was once on the Miami Dolphins practice squad and Zack Thomas apparently took frequently and unnecessary shots at him. This looked like an unnecessary hit, but it was not vicious IMHO; 2. I could not tell from what I've read about Stahl, but my guess is that he was not a tenure track faculty member. My guess is that he is adjunct faculty or a part-time instructor. If he were I would think that there would be a faculty uproar about a person's position being eliminated for this type of reason; he is also writing a book about this issue https://forgeorganizing.org/author/jason-stahl this might serve as some pretty good advertising. 3. Not sure what to make of the player and coach turnover rates. To his credit I recall that Hayden Fry had very little turnout of either. Go Gophers!

Some things about this story that don't sit just right. 1. The tackle on Edmunds looked like a nice form tackle to me. Not a dirty hit but one that was probably not necessary in that practice situation. If they had been running the Oklahoma drill for hours on end, that would be another story. Also, some guys always play harder than necessary in those type of drills. I had a student who was once on the Miami Dolphins practice squad and Zack Thomas apparently took frequently and unnecessary shots at him. This looked like an unnecessary hit, but it was not vicious IMHO; 2. I could not tell from what I've read about Stahl, but my guess is that he was not a tenure track faculty member. My guess is that he is adjunct faculty or a part-time instructor. If he were I would think that there would be a faculty uproar about a person's position being eliminated for this type of reason; he is also writing a book about this issue https://forgeorganizing.org/author/jason-stahl this might serve as some pretty good advertising. 3. Not sure what to make of the player and coach turnover rates. To his credit I recall that Hayden Fry had very little turnout of either. Go Gophers!
Said in another post, they were in shorts so Edmonds should not have been tackled and would not have been expecting to get tackled in that situation. In a drill like that 46 should have stayed on his feet and wrapped up the ball carrier but should not have taken him down. It was a bonehead move on his part.

Said in another post, they were in shorts so Edmonds should not have been tackled and would not have been expecting to get tackled in that situation. In a drill like that 46 should have stayed on his feet and wrapped up the ball carrier but should not have taken him down. It was a bonehead move on his part.
Of course it was a boneheaded and stupid play. I'm not saying that its right, its not, but that crap happens all the time in football practices.

Of course it was a boneheaded and stupid play. I'm not saying that its right, its not, but that crap happens all the time in football practices.
Yep. The fact that they used that shot to try and prove anything makes the story even more laughable. Just a pathetic smear attempt all around by WCCO that backfired in spectacular fashion.

Okay. Ummm....I'll never get those 3 minutes back. Seriously, like who okay'ed that???

The numbers are in line with your average power 5 program. Wow.

I'll be reallllly curious how they first tv conference for the first games goes. who from WCCO covers that?

I heard it driving in. I'll try to list what I remember:
-Mentioned again about his photos being used by WCCO & no credit attributed
-MN does not do as much tackling in practice as most people think; more "thud"
-Discussed the Reigelsperger situation again, talking about the MNDaily article
-A few mentions about Stahl & his push for wanting to become a president for the players
-Quick comparison mention regarding physical & mental tolls at MN & comparing to Alabama
-The medical retirement angle, stating that it is right in line when Brewster/Kill/Claeys were coach and is even slightly lower

There wasn't anything earth shattering & don't know about it being an undressing, but pretty much everything that we somewhat already know; ridiculous agenda by an ex-professor & why WCCO even gave it time in the first place.
Thanks!

From the way I was told, was they had a lot of players and former coaches that were being included in the story. I’ll admit even myself I was expecting more, the segment was very vague.
It’s unfortunate that he’s not the man he seems to be and promotes himself to be, that’s all I’m saying. He treats star players like gods, everyone else he doesn’t give a shit about who you are. I will admit yes I’m bitter about my situation and everything that happened, but I have my reasons. People don’t need to believe it and say whatever they want.
If that were really true, you’d think we’d see a lot more players leaving year after year. And we wouldn’t be seeing all these “non-star” players coming out defending the program.

Haven’t talked to him since it came out. From the sound of it, I thought there would’ve been more, the segment didn’t do a great job. I can see how everyone (fans, local media) like fleck from what he portrays on camera, but many others including myself have seen a different side of it, and it’s unfortunate. One thing I would like to know is why Fleck or coyle have refused to say anything. I’m not saying they have to but it would be easy for them to deny everything and end any more talks about the story

gopherfan007, you are the weakest link. Goodbye

Waaaaah Burger! Have you ever had a Wahlburger?

Haven’t talked to him since it came out. From the sound of it, I thought there would’ve been more, the segment didn’t do a great job. I can see how everyone (fans, local media) like fleck from what he portrays on camera, but many others including myself have seen a different side of it, and it’s unfortunate. One thing I would like to know is why Fleck or coyle have refused to say anything. I’m not saying they have to but it would be easy for them to deny everything and end any more talks about the story
You want to give an idiot the time of the day? I for one glad Coyle or Fleck didn't respond. I'm sure and hope WCCO realizes they screwed up. Why give the idiot another 15 minutes of air time?

Last edited:

Perhaps 46 and Edmonds had issues. Wasn't plan on hurting him, but rather making a statement to him especially if Edmonds was whining.

The article misses so badly on what medical retirements are. I question the details of Norton’s throat injury and to a lesser extent Edmunds head injury and if these really prevented them from playing football, or were they retired due to where they were on the depth chart. Reigelsperger obviously had the freak injury and Manns had so many knee injuries dating back to high school. I don’t recall the specifics of Gibson’s injuries. But generally a medical retirement is not an event where a player is so physically broken that they have to retire like the article suggests. They didn’t have to do much research to find that information considering one of the players drafted from the team faced a medical retirement at Michigan.

The article misses so badly on what medical retirements are. I question the details of Norton’s throat injury and to a lesser extent Edmunds head injury and if these really prevented them from playing football, or were they retired due to where they were on the depth chart. Reigelsperger obviously had the freak injury and Manns had so many knee injuries dating back to high school. I don’t recall the specifics of Gibson’s injuries. But generally a medical retirement is not an event where a player is so physically broken that they have to retire like the article suggests. They didn’t have to do much research to find that information considering one of the players drafted from the team faced a medical retirement at Michigan.
You mention the word research in your post. It is very clear from watching the story that WCCO did very very little of that "research" word for this story. They were hoping to hit on some sort of scandal and instead were left looking like morons for giving this self promoting blowhard professor the time of day

From the way I was told, was they had a lot of players and former coaches that were being included in the story. I’ll admit even myself I was expecting more, the segment was very vague.
It’s unfortunate that he’s not the man he seems to be and promotes himself to be, that’s all I’m saying. He treats star players like gods, everyone else he doesn’t give a shit about who you are. I will admit yes I’m bitter about my situation and everything that happened, but I have my reasons. People don’t need to believe it and say whatever they want.
I'm sorry I can't find a nice way to say this, but...

You sound like the high school girl who got cut from show choir auditions and then retreats sobbing to her bedroom while sending out bitter texts about how awful and demanding and demeaning the choir director is.

Barreiro said there was a part 2, anyone see it / have a link. Didn't find it googling

Edit: It's more vague than the first 😂

Barreiro said there was a part 2, anyone see it / have a link. Didn't find it googling

Edit: It's more vague than the first 😂
Well at least they put a few voices in this one sticking up for the U and we weren't subjected to multiple shots of that POS Stahl typing away in his little corner. What a joke of a "story" by WCCO.

If they were willing to actually do some work there might be a bigger story in there somewhere about medical retirements in football across the board. But to target it at the U and Fleck was just stupid and lazy on their part.

Very clear after watching this as to why Stahl has had no luck selling his BS story to anyone that matters over the past few years. Those media members and outlets were wise not to let this moron pollute their airwaves or websites.

From a survey by a history professor of players on crutches, etc... who filed numerous complaints, we got to this point of discussion.

We can't expect perfection. Mitigation efforts can be done to minimize very serious injuries. See Gopher Lady's comments. No system is 100% foolproof. Athletes are going to get hurt at one point or another. Football is a violent sport. Injuries happen.

The U has done a remarkable job to shape these young men into fine adults. Some are not cut out for the sacrifices, or found out their limitations athletically at his level, and will probably leave. For others, their playing days will be cut short due to serious injury. They have the well-earned opportunity complete their education. It is remarkable that Gopher athletes are among the top programs with the highest GPAs.

What if it is academic casualties? Will Stahl do a survey and raise a stink then?

The U is doing a remarkable job of taking care of its student athletes. I am glad that Alex Riegelsperger spoke up about the need for mental health counseling, and that the U was listening. From what I hear, counseling was especially very critical during the long pandemic season. Some of the players almost transferred out. I think some did for reasons I don't know. We cannot forget that these are young kids. Some are more fragile than others.

College and Pro Football athletes are modern day gladiators playing in modern day colosseums to satiate society's fix for entertainment in full display of controlled aggression. The only difference is, they live to fight another day.

I don't envy PJ Fleck. You have to have the high energy like he does to meet all the demands of the football program. Managing day to day operations, to individual and group meetings with 100+ players, to daily recruiting, to conducting practices, to meetings with coaching staff, to PR work, etc... His teaching skills and creativity come into play.

Sometimes players like Reigelsperger won't be able to hear from their former coach not because he doesn't care, but because he is very busy. He is ubiquitous enough with all of his responsibilities and demands placed in him. I remembered that video of him where his day starts very early. He goes out for a run, puts on long hours, and then repeats the process. The buck stops with him as far as the direction of the football program goes. The aim is to win.

You could almost sense that the pressure is greater on PJ Fleck this last pandemic season and very recently. He appeared more tired on some of his press appearances than in previous years. Stahl's stall tactics does not deserve an ounce of attention from him or from Mark Coyle. They have bigger fish to fry like win titles.

Last edited:

Stahl = Stool. As in a stool test. He is a piece of shit.

From a survey by a history professor of players on crutches, etc... who filed numerous complaints, we got to this point of discussion.

We can't expect perfection. Mitigation efforts can be done to minimize very serious injuries. See Gopher Lady's comments. No system is 100% foolproof. Athletes are going to get hurt at one point or another. Football is a violent sport. Injuries happen.

The U has done a remarkable job to shape these young men into fine adults. Some are not cut out for the sacrifices, or found out that their limitations athletically at his level, and will probably leave. For others, their playing days will be cut short due to serious injury. They have the well-earned opportunity complete their education. It is remarkable that Gopher athletes are among the top program with the highest GPAs.

What if it is academic casualties? Will Stahl do a survey and raise a stink then?

The U is doing a remarkable job of taking care of its student athletes. I am glad that Alex Riegelsperger spoke up about the need for mental health counseling, and that the U was listening. From what I hear, counseling was especially very critical during the long pandemic season. Some of the players almost transferred out. I think some did for reasons I don't know. We cannot forget that these are young kids. Some are more fragile than others.

College and Pro Football are modern day gladiators playing in modern day colosseums to satiate society's fix for entertainment in full display of controlled aggression. The only difference is, they live to fight another day.

I don't envy PJ Fleck. You have to have the high energy like he does to meet all the demands of the football program. Managing day to day operations, to individual and group meetings with 100+ players, to daily recruiting, to conducting practices, to meetings with coaching staff, to PR work, etc... His teaching skills and creativity comes into play.

Sometimes players like Reigelsperger won't be able to hear from their former coach not because he doesn't care, but because he is very busy. He is ubiquitous enough with all of his responsibilities and demands placed in him. I remembered that video of him where his day starts very early. He goes out for a run, puts on long hours, and then repeats the process. The buck stops with him as far as the direction of the football program goes. The aim is to win, and hopefully win titles.

You could almost sense that the pressure is greater on PJ Fleck this last pandemic season and very recently. He appeared more tired on some of his press appearances than in previous years. Stahl's stall tactics does not deserve an ounce of attention from him or from Mark Coyle. He has bigger fish to try like win titles.

And many medical retirements are due to other health issues like a heart murmur or cancer or other health related issues completely unrelated to the actual game of football. Many of these conditions are discovered during physicals and in some cases have saved the life of the person involved. This is being missed or completely ignored by TOOLS like the Stahl character and of course missed by WCCO.... (which by the way I haven't watched for at least five years and now know I won't be back watching them anytime soon!)

The U has done a remarkable job to shape these young men into fine adults. Some are not cut out for the sacrifices, and will probably leave. For others, their playing days will be cut short due to serious injury. They have the well-earned opportunity complete their education. It is remarkable that Gopher athletes are among the top programs with the highest GPAs.

The U is doing a remarkable job of taking care of its student athletes. I am glad that Alex Riegelsperger spoke up about the need for mental health counseling, and that the U was listening. From what I hear, counseling was especially very critical during the long pandemic season. Some of the players almost transferred out. We cannot forget that these are young kids. Some are more fragile than others.

College and Pro Football are modern day gladiators playing in modern day colosseums to satiate society's fix for entertainment in full display of controlled aggression. The only difference is, they live to fight another day.

I don't envy PJ Fleck. You have to have the high energy like he does to meet all the demands of the football program. Managing day to day operations, to individual and group meetings with 100+ players, to daily recruiting, to conducting practices, to meetings with coaching staff, to PR work, etc... His teaching skills and creativity comes into play.

Sometimes players like Reigelsperger won't be able to hear from their former coach not because he doesn't care, but because he is very busy. He is ubiquitous enough with all of his responsibilities and demands placed in him. I remembered that video of him where his day starts very early. He goes out for a run, puts on long hours, and then repeats the process. The buck stops with him as far as the direction of the football program goes. The aim is to win, and hopefully win titles.

You could almost sense that the pressure is greater on PJ Fleck this last pandemic season and very recently. He appeared more tired on some of his press appearances than in previous years. Stahl's stall tactics does not deserve an ounce of attention from him or from Mark Coyle. He has bigger fish to try like win titles.

Last edited:

At some point you have to defend the brand. The U football, Basketball, and Hockey is not the trash pit that every entitled PSW can throw another bucket of trash. If the U decided to put the lawsuit against that PSW I will be more than willing write a check for them. Our Parents always taught that building your own success by bringing down someone else success is not a good way to live . Hope his life is as miserable as he is trying make for PJ.
What is a PSW?

Top Bottom