WCCO Football Story

Honest question, would you call someone who has a lingering hamstring issue or ankle issue fragile? Something that affects their athletic performance even though they are doing all they are able to to resolve the issue?
Is Byron Buxton fragile? History shows he's awesome when healthy, but his body does seem to be fragile. It breaks down quicker than most. That's an observation. Does it bother you that I consider him fragile?

Is Byron Buxton fragile? History shows he's awesome when healthy, but his body does seem to be fragile. It breaks down quicker than most. That's an observation. Does it bother you that I consider him fragile?
Does it both me explicitly? Not very much, and also you are treating physical and mental illness/injury pretty similarly in the way you are speaking. Do I think there are clearer and more concise vocabulary that could be used that would reduce potential misalignment on intent and impact (especially over the internet where we cannot rely on other verbal/non-verbal cues)? Yes.

I also do have a BIG problem with folks who only use that vocabulary with regards to mental health, and not with regards to similar situations surrounding physical injury. Know where someone falls with regards to that informs what I would say next, and I would rather ask than assume.

Does it both me explicitly? Not very much, and also you are treating physical and mental illness/injury pretty similarly in the way you are speaking. Do I think there are clearer and more concise vocabulary that could be used that would reduce potential misalignment on intent and impact (especially over the internet where we cannot rely on other verbal/non-verbal cues)? Yes.

I also do have a BIG problem with folks who only use that vocabulary with regards to mental health, and not with regards to similar situations surrounding physical injury. Know where someone falls with regards to that informs what I would say next, and I would rather ask than assume.

Buxton is fragile. Perfect word for him.

This is going to sound like a weird diagnosis, but I've always thought that Buxton's incredible physical talent has made him believe he can make every play and he does make most of them. He just doesn't let up in the field. But in believing he can make every play, he often puts himself in an awkward position and sacrifices his body in the process. I almost think he grew up playing on fields with no warning tracks because he hits the wall full bore more than any outfielder I've ever watched play extensively. Some of that may be attributed to taking bad angles near the fence. There's no question he's a supreme-level athlete. He just seems to lack some nuance that might save his body a bit.

The unvarnished truth about WCCO TV / CBS with respect to the "football" story", in this market is below:

Amelia was not going to eat that turd sandwich; she is there to make faces and pout after the story, on camera...typical Edina .... something... C?

Mike Max heard rumors of the story and went to to hide in the basement for a month so they made the lovely hot thin blond woman from Worthington take the rusty trombone, or worse.

Mike Max probably took some fashion notes from Dr. Stahl and asked how to pronounce AMatTuuuuRRR. first.- sure just like they say it France, but not in not Gaylord.

The story was a dog and everyone knew it, plus WCCO was never going to taint the new hero reporters with it, so hang it on the ever so sexy but now compromised Liz Collin.

The bug eyed, sweaty, nervous,triple eyebrowed, and just odd David Schuman ( for real, he sucks donkeys and belongs in Sioux City or Mason City) and lovely Erin Hazzzenzaheibullahzzhyabula... are the only two reporters we see anymore.... other than horseface#3 from North Carolina, with four names. I am sure she makes a nice hot dish now.

Holy F, a bit of professional advice to Erin,, as great as you may be, maybe change your professional name to Hassan, Murphy, Zeta,Schtumpfulller, Doyle, Finnegan, Howe, Slirtzburf, , Smith or Jones or anything the public can remember or pronounce- too bad she is super hot- confident with a winning smile.

If WCCO had been for real, Erin or pre- Bob Kroll (BS or not) Liz Collin should have been the main anchor with Frankie a year ago. Sure Frank is a CUK,, but he makes all remember Don Moore or whatever his name was.

To Erin's credit, she avoided by luck or skill the stain of owning this shixt pile excuse of a story so.......my guess is Erin would have said fukk it, I am not putting name on this story so...... give it to David S ha ha ha or Liz, or horseface Esme.

WCCO just sucks...

Poor LIz Collin gets this abortion of a story.. no questions asked I bet.... She sure the F cannot say no to it. Poor Liz was #2 for the big chair, but she married Bob Kroll, which killed her career. How sexist was that by the way?

All the city liberals hated on the lovely Liz Collin once the marriage got out in the public square and she also could then not report on any MPLS government story..... so much for being the next Pat Miles..... done...cooked

So Pat,, check that Liz had to take the hatchet job Gopher Football assignment at WCCO, as she has nothing left for her post Marriage in this market, which is total BS.d

WCCO sucks so much....

And then Mike Max...Ok Kare 11.... OK not... sure Stan Hubbard is ......]]

In the DVR/ streaming era I am surprised there are any advertisers that pay anything... I can watch a 35 minute so called local news show in about 4 minutes if at all. the lead and the sports.. the rest all BS... the weather.: are you f'ing kidding me?

Haha, this is great. It's awesome this thread continues to point out how much 'CCO sucks. Maybe they learned a lesson...nah, they never do.

Haha, this is great. It's awesome this thread continues to point out how much 'CCO sucks. Maybe they learned a lesson...nah, they never do.
Great if you are a fan of Archie Bunker and stuck in the 70’s. I am no fan of WCCO and their slanted reporting but this tripe makes the rest of us look awful by comparison.

This is going to sound like a weird diagnosis, but I've always thought that Buxton's incredible physical talent has made him believe he can make every play and he does make most of them. He just doesn't let up in the field. But in believing he can make every play, he often puts himself in an awkward position and sacrifices his body in the process. I almost think he grew up playing on fields with no warning tracks because he hits the wall full bore more than any outfielder I've ever watched play extensively. Some of that may be attributed to taking bad angles near the fence. There's no question he's a supreme-level athlete. He just seems to lack some nuance that might save his body a bit.
His last injury was running to 1st base. I believe the term "fragile" is accurate regarding Byron Buxton's capacity to stay physically healthy.
Since the brain is an organ, it can be fragile and function abnormally. This is what we often refer to as mental illness. The question is: What benchmark is being used to measure normal brain function as compared to abnormal function? Is this from a medical viewpoint (psychiatry) or a philosophical viewpoint (psychology)? Too often the term "mental illness" gets bantered around as a catch all term, when it only applies to scientific data in psychiatry where neurological data can be studied.

Well, after the story in the Strib Saturday, the U of MN has other things to worry about.

I'm referring to the story about alleged sexual abuse in the Gopher Men's Hockey program in the 1980's. Story alleges that AD Paul Giel was aware of allegations and took no action. It's a bizarre story - meaning that it will probably end up as an episode of "Law & Order SVU."

If you haven't read it, check it out. it is truly wacky. Allegedly, players were blindfolded and told they would be orally serviced by a woman - but it was actually a man - one of the assistant coaches. and this guy was still coaching as recently as a couple of years ago.

Well, after the story in the Strib Saturday, the U of MN has other things to worry about.

I'm referring to the story about alleged sexual abuse in the Gopher Men's Hockey program in the 1980's. Story alleges that AD Paul Giel was aware of allegations and took no action. It's a bizarre story - meaning that it will probably end up as an episode of "Law & Order SVU."

If you haven't read it, check it out. it is truly wacky. Allegedly, players were blindfolded and told they would be orally serviced by a woman - but it was actually a man - one of the assistant coaches. and this guy was still coaching as recently as a couple of years ago.
MA3rMjc.gif

Just to clarify, it has been a long time since he coached at the U. Still really bad that it happened but I think your post was unintentionally misleading.

Nor did I, just wanted to voice that not everyone will understand what your actual intent was.

How would someone misconstrue the word? Everyone reading this has a limit to how many psychological stressors they can cumulatively endure before it affects their daily activities, outlook, performance. Emotional sensitivities clearly vary between individuals to some extent. Some of this is genetic, but some can be addressed by teaching adaptive skills. However, once a breaking point is approached or reached it shouldn’t be stigmatized to seek help or take a breather, sometimes permanently. We should all be more understanding of others personal difficulties - and we don’t know what’s going on in their personal lives. Be kind.

How would someone misconstrue the word? Everyone reading this has a limit to how many psychological stressors they can cumulatively endure before it affects their daily activities, outlook, performance. Emotional sensitivities clearly vary between individuals to some extent. Some of this is genetic, but some can be addressed by teaching adaptive skills. However, once a breaking point is approached or reached it shouldn’t be stigmatized to seek help or take a breather, sometimes permanently. We should all be more understanding of others personal difficulties - and we don’t know what’s going on in their personal lives. Be kind.
There are still people who don't believe this (perhaps no one here does, but I'm sure there are many people who read this forum who don't interact), however, and I suppose mostly the way it could be misconstrued is someone interpreted malice behind the use of fragile. Rather than it being used purely as a descriptor with no malice.

There may be large overlap between the groups of people who may attribute malice to the use of the word and people who do not understand that mental health is a real thing and everyone has their limits.

There are still people who don't believe this (perhaps no one here does, but I'm sure there are many people who read this forum who don't interact), however, and I suppose mostly the way it could be misconstrued is someone interpreted malice behind the use of fragile. Rather than it being used purely as a descriptor with no malice.

There may be large overlap between the groups of people who may attribute malice to the use of the word and people who do not understand that mental health is a real thing and everyone has their limits.

No offense, but I believe you’re overthinking this.

Perhaps 46 and Edmonds had issues. Wasn't plan on hurting him, but rather making a statement to him especially if Edmonds was whining.
I think you are reading too much into the given play. He didn't drive him into the turf, he made contact and caught him wrong and physics took over.

I didn't play D1 football, but did play college football at the D2 level. The first practice of my freshman year I am playing on the offensive line. It was an unpadded practice and we were only wearing helmets. I am used to high school football and expected it to be more of a walkthrough/get to the right position. The defensive lineman exploded out of his stance and was quicker and stronger than anyone I ever went against. I was hit harder than I ever was in my high school football career. It's college football... every time you are on the field you have to be prepared to bring it, especially when dealing with offensive/defensive lineman.

Is this legit or are you just going for humor? Don't get the Trib and not going to pay for an online subscription. Your little description of the story is pretty messed up if that kind of stuff was going on back in the 80s :)

He was only with the Gophers for a couple of years in the 80's, then moved on to a few teams right? Not trying to diminish the coach in questions horrible actions. I just wanted to clarify whether I heard the story correctly.

Lol this story

I guess I don’t know why they think this is a u of m story more than a college football story.

Wow, CCO is really trying to milk this turdburger for everything they can. At least part 3 didn't have Stahl in it. Still has next to nothing in it.

Lol this story

I guess I don’t know why they think this is a u of m story more than a college football story.
That has been the issue all along. There may be a story there but they are trying to frame it as something that it isn't which just makes them look foolish.

That has been the issue all along. There may be a story there but they are trying to frame it as something that it isn't which just makes them look foolish.
They know it isn’t a story. They held it until 10:15

If it was a story they’d lead with it at 5, 6, and 10

Top Bottom