Visit with Montana St. transfer G Darius Brown II

Bigger is not always better. Do you know how many people select new jobs based on familiarity/previous experience with their manager/leadership? This is no different. Jumping to the biggest brand/company/conference is not the #1 deciding factor for lots of people.

I think as soon as reasonable people in this thread realized we were up against his previous coach at Utah State, it was assumed it was going to be an uphill battle for Brown. Your post making it seem like this was simply a comparison of schools/conferences is disingenuous at best.

PS. Utah State has been a tourney team for most of the past 5 years.
His teammate Raequon Battle also transferred from Montana St. and chose West Virginia instead of following the head coach.

I get kids make what decision is best for them, but it feels like we may be heading towards the path of making a few too many excuses for Ben at this point. Ben needs to make kids feel like Minnesota is the best choice for them. That's recruiting. Or maybe he's targeting the wrong kids.

I still hope we can find capable guys in the portal, but it doesn't feel like a great spot right now.

I can understand supporting the head coach, but I want us to win. I don't care who it is. It doesn't feel like we're trending towards more winning.

Ben will crank up Mitchell’s minutes per game to around 37 and call it good.
He really will at right now doesn't have a choice. Carrington can't handle the ball. Some are saying Christie may be able to but that seems like a lot to ask of him as a fresh.

They guy we could really use back right now is Cooper.

He really will at right now doesn't have a choice. Carrington can't handle the ball. Some are saying Christie may be able to but that seems like a lot to ask of him as a fresh.

We've known all along Cooper was the biggest loss in the event we got a point and he could play SG.

We've known all along Cooper was the biggest loss in the event we got a point and he could play SG.
I really didn't think Ben would struggle as much as he has in the portal. Maybe that was on me but I figured there was plenty of time to find those replacements. Mitchell was a good start but it's just been nothing since.

I know! The addition-by-subtraction people also think we'll be better off without Battle.

I know! The addition-by-subtraction people also think we'll be better off without Battle.
No doubt the talent of Battle would be right up there with Payne and Garcia, but my god it was hard to watch him play for us last year. I don't know why it didn't work, but it was not working.

I really didn't think Ben would struggle as much as he has in the portal. Maybe that was on me but I figured there was plenty of time to find those replacements. Mitchell was a good start but it's just been nothing since.
What we are fighting is a program in terrible shape overall and a coach that doesn't have the clout to overcome it.

What we are fighting is a program in terrible shape overall and a coach that doesn't have the clout to overcome it.
Agreed. The negative recruiting against Ben and the U has to be pretty straightforward for other coaches when we are trying to compete as a finalist as well.

Well, shit. We lost out to Utah State!? Not trying to be dramatic, but this feels like a new low. Utah State has had its successes in recent years, but they have a new coach and an uncertain future. Brown had an opportunity to play in the Big Ten, for fuck sakes!
Utah State is less shameful than St Bonaventure and Austin Peay.

Just imagine how bad things would be if Johnson wasn’t “blow you away” good at recruiting!

We missed out on someone that went to Austin Peay?! Lmao. I didn't even realize that. Wow.
Dezi Jones from Quinnipiac. Looks like Minnesota, Oklahoma, and whole bunch of mid-majors reached out to him. Missing on both Darius Brown and Charles Pride really sucks, and I'd believe that we genuinely wanted both, but I have my doubts that Dezi Jones was a top target for us that we just straight up lost to Austin Peay.

He was also arrested a few days after committing to Austin Peay.

Top Bottom