Visit with Montana St. transfer G Darius Brown II

Well, my internet sleuthing revealed a pair of Loyola Chicago fans freaking out because Pride started following following all the Gophers players on instagram. Not sure if that means anything, but the kids seem to think so….
loyola fans should have seen the writing on the wall days ago:

just noting: mr brown should be on a visit to utah state today and tomorrow. his last of 3 visits scheduled. so should be hearing something in a few days

just noting: mr brown should be on a visit to utah state today and tomorrow. his last of 3 visits scheduled. so should be hearing something in a few days
Where was his first visit?

It would be disappointing to get beat out by one of those others.

Bigger program, playing time available, etc. That’d be tough.
Yeah that would be a hard pill to swallow.

It would be disappointing to get beat out by one of those others.

Bigger program, playing time available, etc. That’d be tough.
Seems like we have lost quite a few of those battles recently. Bigger program and conference are the automatic draw that they might have been a decade ago.

Seems like we have lost quite a few of those battles recently. Bigger program and conference are the automatic draw that they might have been a decade ago.
We haven’t really lost any of them to a small program. Just because a kid lists the U in one of his final six doesn’t mean he has a commitable offer.

I'm curious who the next portal target up is if we don't land Brown as it seems very possible that he could stick with his head coach and head to Utah State.

No way we can go into the year with only Mitchell as a ball-handler. I don't like that.

I assume there's still decent guys in the portal that could fit but that list has gotta be getting smaller.

My concern is if he gets one, his thinking will be, “well, that’s enough”. Man, I hope he doesn’t kick into that mode.

The bigger challenge is actually selling the other one, on minutes when we've just signed two veteran guards, have a sophomore returning who played a lot as a Freshman, and a 4* Freshman guard coming in who wants to play minutes at the 1. Hard to find a quality guy who wants to transfer into that situation.

The bigger challenge is actually selling the other one, on minutes when we've just signed two veteran guards, have a sophomore returning who played a lot as a Freshman, and a 4* Freshman guard coming in who wants to play minutes at the 1. Hard to find a quality guy who wants to transfer into that situation.
Yep, especially because it's sort of the unknown for a recruit with CBJ. So far, he hasn't really played much of a bench. I think it's because of lack of options but he doesn't have that proven track record of playing 8-9 guys like some other coaches.

It's a risk for a guy like Brown to come here and risk not playing. I don't think that would happen at all, but from his point of view, it's not the easiest sell.

Thus far, seems my point is moot anyways. Guess I was getting the cart before the horse.

Last edited:

Yep, especially because it's sort of the unknown for a recruit with CBJ. So far, he hasn't really played much of a bench. I think it's because of lack of options but he doesn't have that proven track record of playing 8-9 guys like some other coaches.

It's a risk for a guy like Brown to come here and risk not playing. I don't think that would happen at all, but from his point of view, it's not the easiest sell.
I think the Johnson not using his bench thing has gotten blown way out of proportion. I feel very confident saying that if he has quality players he will use them.

21-22 - He played 6 primarily - Battle, Willis, Loewe, Sutherlin, Curry and Stephens with Daniels also playing double digit minutes. Tough to make a case that any of these remaining players - Thiam, Thompson, Ramberg, Kern, or Ogele deserved bigger roles

22-23 - He played 7 guys over 20 minutes a game - Garcia, Battle, Heley, Carrington, JOJ, Cooper and Payne. And he played another 3 guys over 10 minutes a game - Samuels, Ramberg, Thompson. Again, tough to argue that the 3 guys playing around 10 a game deserved bigger roles.

Had Fox and Ihnen been healthy for either of those seasons I have little doubt they would also have been in the 20+ crowd.

So yeah, through 2 years Johnson has had to play with a shorter rotation than ideal but I don't see that scaring away potential transfers. It isn't like he has left quality players sitting on the bench in order to play a small rotation.

I think the Johnson not using his bench thing has gotten blown way out of proportion. I feel very confident saying that if he has quality players he will use them.

21-22 - He played 6 primarily - Battle, Willis, Loewe, Sutherlin, Curry and Stephens with Daniels also playing double digit minutes. Tough to make a case that any of these remaining players - Thiam, Thompson, Ramberg, Kern, or Ogele deserved bigger roles

22-23 - He played 7 guys over 20 minutes a game - Garcia, Battle, Heley, Carrington, JOJ, Cooper and Payne. And he played another 3 guys over 10 minutes a game - Samuels, Ramberg, Thompson. Again, tough to argue that the 3 guys playing around 10 a game deserved bigger roles.

Had Fox and Ihnen been healthy for either of those seasons I have little doubt they would also have been in the 20+ crowd.

So yeah, through 2 years Johnson has had to play with a shorter rotation than ideal but I don't see that scaring away potential transfers. It isn't like he has left quality players sitting on the bench in order to play a small rotation.
Yeah, I agree with you. I am just saying to someone who is basing his next choice of school on what he knows, there hasn't been any evidence that Johnson will play his bench.

I agree with you that was circumstantial but that's just my best guess because I haven't actually seen him use the bench. If you're looking at last year's numbers they look much better when you glance at the stats. Ramberg only averaged 10 minutes per game because he didn't play at all in over half the games. Thompson also went 10 games without playing and 5 more games with playing under 5 minutes.

Again, I agree with you that I think Ben would play his bench. I don't think he's like Pitino where he wants guys playing 35 minutes per game. I'm just saying that we haven't seen it yet for good reason.

Yeah, I agree with you. I am just saying to someone who is basing his next choice of school on what he knows, there hasn't been any evidence that Johnson will play his bench.
what bench?

aren't carrington and mitchell the only guards on next years team, so far? christie is not yet enrolled. CBJ doesn't even have enough guards to practice yet, let alone worry about a bench

guessing most teams already have more than 3 guards signed up to play next year. gophers should be attractive to any g wanting playing time

what bench?

aren't carrington and mitchell the only guards on next years team, so far? christie is not yet enrolled. CBJ doesn't even have enough guards to practice yet, let alone worry about a bench

guessing most teams already have more than 3 guards signed up to play next year. gophers should be attractive to any g wanting playing time
I think it would be extreme pessimism to say that Christie is not part of the mix at this point. He needs to battle for every minute he gets but he is part of it.

what bench?

As far as how I would allocate minutes, there should not be any concern from another incoming guard. Keep in mind, the premise of our discussion was based on getting another guard AFTER one of the other guards signs. That it might be difficult to get that backup PG/combo guard.

So, we'd have:
Mitchell
Carrington
Christie
Pride

If I am the coach Ihnen, JOJ, and Betts aren't playing many minutes (if any) at SF, but I am not sure where Ben lands on that. They might be penciled in for wing minutes too.

As far as how I would allocate minutes, there should not be any concern from another incoming guard. Keep in mind, the premise of our discussion was based on getting another guard AFTER one of the other guards signs. That it might be difficult to get that backup PG/combo guard.

So, we'd have:
Mitchell
Carrington
Christie
Pride

If I am the coach Ihnen, JOJ, and Betts aren't playing many minutes (if any) at SF, but I am not sure where Ben lands on that. They might be penciled in for wing minutes too.
yep. if i'm a g considering MN I'd be salivating. Not enough guards and weak at SF. plenty of g minutes available across 3 positions.

So, we'd have:
Mitchell
Carrington
Christie
Pride

I can see Betts getting SF minutes. He is a pretty good shooter and is somewhat more equipped to play a Stretch 4/3 Combo than JOJ. I would play JOJ exclusively at 4 & Ihnen at a combo of 4/5. Even when healthy, I never saw much to think Ihnen could realistically play the 2. Even the 3 seems farfetched

yep. if i'm a g considering MN I'd be salivating. Not enough guards and weak at SF. plenty of g minutes available across 3 positions.
I think with Pride being a solid rebounder & Christie being 6'6; we will see those two more at SF and three guard lineups. Brown or any portal guard shouldn't think there isn't an opportunity for them to play significant minutes. I think the PF position will cause issues, and Ben may be forced to play Betts, JOJ, & Ihnen at the 3 more than he should, but I do think one of those 3 will not get the minutes they are expecting.

I think with Pride being a solid rebounder & Christie being 6'6; we will see those two more at SF and three guard lineups. Brown or any portal guard shouldn't think there isn't an opportunity for them to play significant minutes. I think the PF position will cause issues, and Ben may be forced to play Betts, JOJ, & Ihnen at the 3 more than he should, but I do think one of those 3 will not get the minutes they are expecting.
Are you saying a logjam at the PF and that will kick Betts, JOJ and Ihnen to the 3? Maybe. My guess is 4 and 5 (80 minutes total) get eaten up by Garcia and Payne (65-70 minutes). 1-3 (120 minutes) get eaten up by Mitchell, 2nd portal G/Carrington, Christie (100 minutes). That ony leaves about 30 minutes left over for FOX/Ihnen/JOJ/Betts. Wilson?? Maybe a minute or 2 each half. I'm waiting to see who else Ben signs. Also heard maybe Fox is doing well.

If we cloned the Gopher roster and you coached one squad and I coached the other I would beat you by 30 points. But I doubt we get that chance.

Top Bottom