Visit with Montana St. transfer G Darius Brown II

I like it, the think like a mid-major 2023 off-season continues! Stealing a 23 year old from Richmond would be a major win.

I think this kid would fill the need of having a guy with the quickness to break down a defender and get some dribble penetration. Don’t really have that on the roster now.

The guy can defend, handle the ball and shoot. I'm not surprised bigger programs are looking at this guy, no one has too many of those kinds of guys. He'd help us a ton.

We have some nice potential options here.
I agree. In an interview from before he went to MSU, he describes himself as a "well balanced point guard". So I'm curious if he commits, how Ben would use him and Mitchell together.

Him and Pride are both very intriguing. Talon Cooper's defensive issues were as problematic as his FT% and ability to handle pressure. Although boy I did like to watch Cooper swat a shot every now and then. I like that both him and Pride are 5th year guys. I'm also curious which guy the staff will prioritize since I doubt we could get both.

Bairstow reminds me a little bit of a "lite" version of Drew Peterson, who committed to us for about a week in Pitino's last offseason with us. I am still bummed he didn't come here, I loved his game. Big frame with some passing, shooting, and ability to push the ball up the floor in transition.

I agree. In an interview from before he went to MSU, he describes himself as a "well balanced point guard". So I'm curious if he commits, how Ben would use him and Mitchell together.

Him and Pride are both very intriguing. Talon Cooper's defensive issues were as problematic as his FT% and ability to handle pressure. Although boy I did like to watch Cooper swat a shot every now and then. I like that both him and Pride are 5th year guys. I'm also curious which guy the staff will prioritize since I doubt we could get both.

Bairstow reminds me a little bit of a "lite" version of Drew Peterson, who committed to us for about a week in Pitino's last offseason with us. I am still bummed he didn't come here, I loved his game. Big frame with some passing, shooting, and ability to push the ball up the floor in transition.
Cooper had a lot of issues, but he was on an island in the backcourt. He was surrounded by freshman who weren't ready and wings who were PFs. He was far from perfect (I prefer Mitchell's game), but that's not the easiest position to walk into.

As for Brown, he's a good enough shooter to play off the ball on occasion, so he can play point or with another point. I think Mitchell is a true combo guard (kind of like Willis). So Ben would have some flexibility with these two playing them separately and together.

Cooper had a lot of issues, but he was on an island in the backcourt. He was surrounded by freshman who weren't ready and wings who were PFs. He was far from perfect (I prefer Mitchell's game), but that's not the easiest position to walk into.

As for Brown, he's a good enough shooter to play off the ball on occasion, so he can play point or with another point. I think Mitchell is a true combo guard (kind of like Willis). So Ben would have some flexibility with these two playing them separately and together.
Yeah I'm not trying to tear Cooper down. I just think his game didn't translate very well to the B10/our team for a variety of reasons.

Yes that sounds like they should be able to co-exist.

Don't need an additional 5 on the court. But, a team can function just fine with 2, 3, heck even 4 ball handlers on the court at once. Cooper (I believe) would have been so much much more effective with another Cooper on the floor. Instead we had Samuels and/or inexperienced freshmen. Mitchell will be Cooper reincarnated if we don't get more guards/ball handlers.

If Pride and a Brown commit in guessing Ben is done with guards, that would give hun Mitchell, Brown, Pride and Christie.

If he wants to pull Ramberg’s scholarship, I’d bet it’s for Baristow
I think we only have two more open, so yeah, I agree.

He will also have Carrington who I actually think will take a step up. He might play fewer minutes (and that's okay), but he does a lot of things average to slightly above average.

If Pride and a Brown commit in guessing Ben is done with guards, that would give hun Mitchell, Brown, Pride and Christie.

My concern is if he gets one, his thinking will be, “well, that’s enough”. Man, I hope he doesn’t kick into that mode.

My concern is if he gets one, his thinking will be, “well, that’s enough”. Man, I hope he doesn’t kick into that mode.
As mentioned above I forgot about Carrington. I would like to see both Pride and Brown, but if he only gets one, we still have 4.

Either way I want Baristow on the squad if he’s interested. Contributor on a 26 win tournament team, 6’8 and seems to be a good energy/spark plug type.

As mentioned above I forgot about Carrington. I would like to see both Pride and Brown, but if he only gets one, we still have 4.

Either way I want Baristow on the squad if he’s interested. Contributor on a 26 win tournament team, 6’8 and seems to be a good energy/spark plug type.
I have read somewhere there is a real good chance Baristow is going to VCU. Following his coach from Utah St. I’ve also read he’s a lock for the Big Ten with us or NE.

I would love Baristow and Pride. I think that is best for our team. Pride and Wrightsell would be fantastic.

Finally, I think Pride and Brown are fine too, but I’m thinking there most similar in my limited view of all their games.

I have read somewhere there is a real good chance Baristow is going to VCU. Following his coach from Utah St. I’ve also read he’s a lock for the Big Ten with us or NE.

I would love Baristow and Pride. I think that is best for our team. Pride and Wrightsell would be fantastic.

Finally, I think Pride and Brown are fine too, but I’m thinking there most similar in my limited view of all their games.
Sounds like we're out on Wrightsell. I really think Brown is as much as a priority as Pride because Brown gives us another guy that can handle the ball. Brown is also DPOY and does a little everything. I may be wrong, but I like him.

If Mitchell is are only ball handler next year, not good.

Ramberg doesn't have a scholarship for next year. After roster is settled, any decision on walk on scholarships will be made if any remain.

You're an average guy. You are smart enough to know if there's a chance to further improve the team you go for it. No brainer. Yet you harbor some deep suspicion a Big Ten basketball coach would simply settle for less.

Must be a dark place to live.

That'll be a bad sign if he chooses to not add 2.
Also be a bad sign if Garcia goes out for cheerleading squad or Payne announces he will only play point guard.

You have so many scary things to worry about.

You're an average guy. You are smart enough to know if there's a chance to further improve the team you go for it. No brainer. Yet you harbor some deep suspicion a Big Ten basketball coach would simply settle for less.

Must be a dark place to live.
Think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for being such a beacon of light on these forums.

Anyone know what a typical Gopher recruiting visit entails? I'm assuming a tour of the campus and the athletic facilities and a meet-up with Ben and some of the players would be on the agenda - what else? With 3 pro teams in action tonight, I would think a recruit would be impressed if he were able to attend one of those (particularly the T-Wolves game) - do you think something like that will happen? Just curious if anyone out there has inside info on the recruiting visit process.

Anyone know what a typical Gopher recruiting visit entails? I'm assuming a tour of the campus and the athletic facilities and a meet-up with Ben and some of the players would be on the agenda - what else? With 3 pro teams in action tonight, I would think a recruit would be impressed if he were able to attend one of those (particularly the T-Wolves game) - do you think something like that will happen? Just curious if anyone out there has inside info on the recruiting visit process.
Sally’s

Top Bottom