Val Martin

Really need Tony Liebert to be better. “I’ll text other unhappy players and then post those screenshots and do no actual work but then get defensive on Twitter when people call me out”

Miss the days of Daniel House on here.

I see he's now encouraging other players to DM him with burner accounts, any concerns they had with PJ, so he can get their story out too....

a few things with this...if no one else reaches out to him, he could just make his own burner accounts and make things up. Also, if some do reach out to him (with burner accounts), how would anyone even know if the person behind the burner account was legit?

This whole thing is so reminiscent of AJ Barker and Jerry Kill. The surreal stupidity of the former players makes it a story, but just as quickly as AJ Barker's story disappeared, so too will this one.

Guys that don't get playing time and transfer almost always have an axe to grind. That's just the nature of scholarship athletics. Those who leave feel that the reason they didn't succeed is because of some nefarious motive or prejudice by their former coach. But often it is because said player simply wasn't good enough/didn't perform. Maybe Martin is right or maybe he is wrong, but I need a whole lot more than "some guys hate Fleck" before I take this very seriously.

I have no idea if PJ directly lied to him or not, but this seems much more like a case of someone who is upset they got beat out on the depth chart. All of the DTs who got PT ahead of Martin were better than him and I'm sure that's a difficult pill to swallow. All of the allegations of mistreatment in the thread seem to surround not getting the PT that they thought they earned.

I don't think it's possible to be a successful CEO or college football coach and have everyone like you. I have no idea if PJ is full of sh!t with these guys but he sure does seem to have loyalty from them.
It sounds to me like someone who felt entitled to be a starter ahead of players who are better than him.

He is a quitter and a pouter.
I agree, why give this thread more attention? The guy thrives on attention, why give it to him even though nothing is good about this guy?

Agree with all of the above. I played soccer for a coach that some people would say verbally abused his players. I realized it was just part of his schtick and ignored it and laughed it off in my head. Others quit the team and I'm sure in this day and age they would have posted it all on Twitter.

Btw I'm not saying the verbal abuse helped or was effective. It didn't motivate me but I was able to tune it out.
Soccer? What Dat? =)

Matthew Stephenson disputed some of his comments and Val accused him of being touched sexually by PJ. I can buy the idea that PJ handled some things poorly but fair to say VM is losing credibility the further this goes on.
Holy wtf..

I agree, why give this thread more attention? The guy thrives on attention, why give it to him even though nothing is good about this guy?
Even if some of the stuff Martin is saying about Fleck is true...Fleck might be a douche, but he's OUR douche.

Go gophers.

Yeah, who knows what prompted him to lash out now. At this point the whole thing is much ado about nothing though. Coaches have big personalities, players have big personalities, there are going to be clashes.

Val didn't get the playing time he expected here so he is lashing out. Had he gotten the playing time he expected you can bet he would have nothing but good things to say about the U. Funny how things like that work in athletics.
Well I guess you just settled it!

Only read a few responses after the most recent update.

When Val Martin moved on from the team, I moved on too.

I suggest you do the same.
Yeah it’s a train wreck at this point. Nothing groundbreaking or even noteworthy in his accusations.

No coach is perfect and there is no doubt that PJ has his flaws and will never please everyone. All coaches at all programs have players on the team who don't like them.

Recent examples include Kirk Ferentz and Greg Gaard. Amazingly both coaches survived and won division and conference titles the year following their "situations." I'd say that is likely due to the long-time culture they had established, even as some players hated it.

It is impossible to be in charge of that many people and please everyone. It is likely even harder to do that when you have a style like Fleck has, which he knows.

But, that said, here's a totally crazy concept...players who don't buy into the coach's system and culture, pout, and fail drug tests probably will play less than players who buy into the coach's system and culture, don't pout and don't fail drug tests.

Martin pouted so much about playing time he ironically refused to enter a game when told to by his position coach. He never played another down for the Gophers after that.

Last edited:

Only read a few responses after the most recent update.

When Val Martin moved on from the team, I moved on too.

I suggest you do the same.
You're right, I can't wait to get back to those other threads...you know, the ones that are reposts of dull, clickbait-driven "Top Ten Lists" from some snot-nosed Twitter punk with 348 followers.
Isn't the off-season fun?

Top Bottom