Val Martin

My guess is that's why he is responding to it because Val called him out by name. As others have said, it doesn't really do you any good responding but that'd be my guess.

There really does seem to be a bit of immaturity with the Val Martin thing.
I'm sure all of us who played football at any level had moments where we were doing 50 up downs and thinking "I hate this f'n guy" when thinking of a football coach. I'm sure we all had moments when we were young when our dad's gave us some tough love and we were pissy about it. That's why that kind of stuff is called "tough" love. He listed a bunch of guys who played 5 or 6 years for PJ Fleck and the only ones that left early left for the NFL.

As far as a fight breaking out on a football field. . . it's not like it's a good thing but again, I don't think that stuff is at all abnormal for teammates to get into it during practice.
Agree with all of the above. I played soccer for a coach that some people would say verbally abused his players. I realized it was just part of his schtick and ignored it and laughed it off in my head. Others quit the team and I'm sure in this day and age they would have posted it all on Twitter.

Btw I'm not saying the verbal abuse helped or was effective. It didn't motivate me but I was able to tune it out.

I bet more players "dislike" PJ than we might think, but on different levels and I think that might be getting exaggerated.

For instance, someone could be annoyed at all of the slogans and stuff he makes them do, but it also isn't a big deal to them. So behind closed doors they might say "yeah, I don't really like PJ" but that's all the further it goes.

Just some speculation, but that could be the middle ground that makes these claims seem a bit more grounded. I don't like speculating much further though because I was never a D1 athlete and know that that lifestyle can be intense.
I can pretty much guarantee that if you went to every football team across the country and surveyed all the players you would find on every team there is a group of players that hate the coach.

I can also pretty much guarantee that the majority of the players in that group that doesn't like the coach will be guys who are not getting the playing time they feel they deserve.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you went to every football team across the country and surveyed all the players you would find on every team there is a group of players that hate the coach.

I can also pretty much guarantee that the majority of the players in that group that doesn't like the coach will be guys who are not getting the playing time they feel they deserve.
You could even say that about 13 year olds in any sport.

Pretty funny that "anonymous" Twitter response cites Mo as one of the players who is disgruntled....a guy that's coming back to the U after injury....who is constantly on the sidelines (even on a scooter) cheering and coaching and regularly praises Fleck and the culture......

When you have as many players on the roster as D1 football teams have, you're bound to have a few that aren't happy. This is a non-story.

Pretty funny that "anonymous" Twitter response cites Mo as one of the players who is disgruntled....a guy that's coming back to the U after injury....who is constantly on the sidelines (even on a scooter) cheering and coaching and regularly praises Fleck and the culture......

When you have as many players on the roster as D1 football teams have, you're bound to have a few that aren't happy. This is a non-story.
The anonymous poster is probably Boomie.

I just keep going back to Fleck's original press conference.

One of the things he said was "I'm not for everyone."

Fleck said that. He knows that some people are not going to like his style or approach.

and then one of these stories comes out, and people are clutching their pearls because "a player said he didn't like Fleck."

Hey - Fleck told you to expect this when he was hired. so why are people surprised?

Now - if 5 or 10 players start posting similar accounts, then that is a different issue. But 1 disgruntled former player is not a big deal in my book.

Damien Johnson

Got ourselves a power coach. We’ll see how long it lasts.

Isn't Liebert the guy that didn't know how to pronounce ski-u-mah?

Question about this: Why is Val suddenly bringing this up 7 - 8 months after the fact?

Sounds to me like he's got an axe to grind about something more recent and decided to "enlighten" everyone about his lackluster career at the U??

My thoughts on him refusing to play....what a tool.

Which former player liked his original tweet? I looked through some quickly and didn't see anyone. Saw a lot of likes from Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Purdue fans of course.

Why do people have an issue with clapping, that's a pretty common technique the coaches and teachers use to get the attention of an entire room. Teacher claps twice, kids clap three times and then you best better shut the fuck up after that

1. Twitter is among mankind's worst inventions.
2. How does a college student not have better language skills?
The medium is the message and the twitter medium is curt, pithy, and without any sense of nuance.

Why do people have an issue with clapping, that's a pretty common technique the coaches and teachers use to get the attention of an entire room. Teacher claps twice, kids clap three times and then you best better shut the fuck up after that
It's one of those things where once you decide you don't like a person, every small thing they do bothers you. Most players probably don't mind, but it's an easy thing to criticize.

Question about this: Why is Val suddenly bringing this up 7 - 8 months after the fact?

Sounds to me like he's got an axe to grind about something more recent and decided to "enlighten" everyone about his lackluster career at the U??

My thoughts on him refusing to play....what a tool.
I thought the same thing.

It's one of those things where once you decide you don't like a person, every small thing they do bothers you. Most players probably don't mind, but it's an easy thing to criticize.
Weren’t you scandalized by all that RUNNING he does?!?!!

The anonymous poster is probably Boomie.
Nah, I'd say "nice try", but that would be a lie.

Any player worth his weight wants to play. Majority of guys in the portal never make much of an impact. Without any proof or data, I'd guess less than 10% ever contribute much after a transfer.

Next guy in.

Reactions: MRJ

Yeah. It's very common. Not my cup of tea but very common. Sounds like these complainers were not good culture fits.

Top Bottom