Val Martin

That's interesting. I thought one of Barker's gripes is that he felt Pat Poore was all over him for not being religious enough. Of course, theology and the practice/application of a religious tradition are two different things so maybe it isn't such a leap.
Not sure how religious or spiritual AJ is, but I can tell you that Catholics are not always in agreement (and vice versa) with other Christian faiths. So could have been something along those lines. Who knows though.

Went in for my daily dose of the drama. Found this gem for you fellow bootlickers. Oh, the irony...

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 7.26.10 PM.png

Val Martin interview is online. I was told by a friend to take a drink every time I heard him say "know what I'm sayin'?". I passed out 5 minutes into it.

Anyway, here it is...
I wasted more time unfortunately. Disgruntled player that was on the team for less than a year complaining about Fleck’s coaching antics. Zero abuse, zero scandal. Dude refused to enter a game then acts like Fleck is cold blooded for kicking him off the team before senior night. The podcast hosts are just bootlicking the whole time.

I wasted more time unfortunately. Disgruntled player that was on the team for less than a year complaining about Fleck’s coaching antics. Zero abuse, zero scandal. Dude refused to enter a game then acts like Fleck is cold blooded for kicking him off the team before senior night. The podcast hosts are just bootlicking the whole time.
Yup. I took the boat out this afternoon for a bit and finished listening to it. You're spot on about the host...the guy was a total kiss-ass and very unobjective; and, not to mention the worst, most unprofessional interviewer I have ever heard - a total amateur. Proof that anyone can have a podcast. Anyone. And he too has an agenda with Fleck.
Both men lost more credibility when the host asked about the "scandal" (the 2016 train incident). Martin said it happened before he got there but he thought it was in '18 or '19. It was assumed that it happened under Fleck's watch and even derided him for it, and any listener not familiar with the incident would be lead to believe this happened under Fleck's watch, which as we know is not true. They even attacked Fleck's marriage with Heather. Martin said he didn't know any specifics about their relationship and couldn't really say anything, but then proceeded to mention a bunch of rumors.
The whole thing was painful to listen to. A whole lot of profanity, a whole lot of "um, um" and "knowwutI'msayin'" and other crap. Grasp of the English language and grammar is a thing of the past. Eesh.
Jason Stahl should be ashamed to have endorsed this interview.

Yup. I took the boat out this afternoon for a bit and finished listening to it. You're spot on about the host...the guy was a total kiss-ass and very unobjective; and, not to mention the worst, most unprofessional interviewer I have ever heard - a total amateur. Proof that anyone can have a podcast. Anyone. And he too has an agenda with Fleck.
Both men lost more credibility when the host asked about the "scandal" (the 2016 train incident). Martin said it happened before he got there but he thought it was in '18 or '19. It was assumed that it happened under Fleck's watch and even derided him for it, and any listener not familiar with the incident would be lead to believe this happened under Fleck's watch, which as we know is not true. They even attacked Fleck's marriage with Heather. Martin said he didn't know any specifics about their relationship and couldn't really say anything, but then proceeded to mention a bunch of rumors.
The whole thing was painful to listen to. A whole lot of profanity, a whole lot of "um, um" and "knowwutI'msayin'" and other crap. Grasp of the English language and grammar is a thing of the past. Eesh.
Jason Stahl should be ashamed to have endorsed this interview.
Um ... I guess my question is, "Why listen?" if it's that horseshit and I have no doubt that it is.

Reminds me of the story that came out of Wisconsin where supposedly some players got in a fight and a player claimed he got kicked off the team for "defending himself".

Really hard to know when all you hear is from one guy who knows he can say what he wants.

Not to say I think Val is lying intentionally, but different points of view can be way different even when everyone is being 100% honest about how they feel about the situation.
Great post. That is all this is. Different takes on the same situation. Would take coaches side on every one of these. Hell, these are as old and as common as soon as anyone is old enough to play sports. I had several teammates in high school and college about our coaches and found out that in each case the player was not facing the truth.

Seems like PJs record with transfers kinda speaks for itself at this point. Obviously not all of them are gonna be fits, but when the majority are making impacts, that's probably a strong indicator.

Also, if Fleck was so full of shit, zero chance we have so many guys staying for an extra year of eligibility (whether 5th or 6th). If everyone in the building was miserable as Martin alludes to, these guys would be on the first transfer portal out after they got their degrees.

Great post RightGoph👍
Also, where are all the other complainers/whiners who have graduated from the program?
I ca only recall him and the one other non-entity OL/TE from Illinois(?). I don’t think he rowed to his degree either IIRC.
If that’s the outcry from all the young males Fleck has coached here, then I’ll take it🤠

Last edited:

Val Martin interview is online. I was told by a friend to take a drink every time I heard him say "know what I'm sayin'?". I passed out 5 minutes into it.

Anyway, here it is...

A burb in the beginning and then says it’s an “Emergency Episode.”
That host sounds higher than PJ,s capri pants.

A burb in the beginning and then says it’s an “Emergency Episode.”
That host sounds higher than PJ,s capri pants.
Yep, that host seemed to have an agenda. As for Martin, I think it all comes down to his lack of playing time, we wouldn’t be hearing a peep had he gotten more of it.

Anyway, here it is...
Found this response to one of the guys that does that podcast. Hilarious if true.

Anyway, here it is...

Why would Gophers fans even give this crap a listen?

Everybody has worked with an asshole that just didn't fit or didn't want to fit. I have no interest in committing any energy to listening or reading the info. I feel worse for even taking the effort to post here.

Um ... I guess my question is, "Why listen?" if it's that horseshit and I have no doubt that it is.
As I said, I had the boat out; I set my phone on the rod locker, hit play, and drifted along a weed line with a minnow-tipped jig while the interview played. Sorry, maybe "painful to listen" was too much hyperbole and I could have used "cringe-worthy" to make my post less upsetting.
Maybe some GHers here didn't want to listen to the entire thing but would like assessment. Think of it like this...how terrible would it be if movie/art/food critics only said good things about whatever it is they are reviewing? I dunno.
So, that's why I listened.

As I said, I had the boat out; I set my phone on the rod locker, hit play, and drifted along a weed line with a minnow-tipped jig while the interview played. Sorry, maybe "painful to listen" was too much hyperbole and I could have used "cringe-worthy" to make my post less upsetting.
Maybe some GHers here didn't want to listen to the entire thing but would like assessment. Think of it like this...how terrible would it be if movie/art/food critics only said good things about whatever it is they are reviewing? I dunno.
So, that's why I listened.
Did it scare away the fish?

Top Bottom