Val Martin

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
In today’s Pioneer Press article about Tanner’s returning for another year, there was a discussion of QB Clark and LB Gordon entering the transfer portal. Final line of the article noted, somewhat out of the blue, that DT grad transfer from South Carolina, Val Martin, was no longer with the team and had not been here for any November games. I hadn’t heard anything about this. Wonder if he just threw in the towel over playing time, or if it was something else? Not that it matters, I guess. Just curious.

Interesting, looks like Northwestern was the final game he was listed on the participation report. He was always more of a depth move. Maybe injuries or something and he just decided to hang it up.

Can confirm Martin hasn't been on the team for awhile. Haven't heard that he was injured.
Believe it was over "culture" and team rules, etc.

Not all transfers are Pinckney or Gibbens—just like not all high school commits are Mo and Rashod. Have to take a handful to get a couple

Sheesh. Lost Martin, Anderson, and Cheney from a position that isn’t the easiest for us to fill.

Sheesh. Lost Martin, Anderson, and Cheney from a position that isn’t the easiest for us to fill.
DL looked pretty good against Wisconsin as they took Braelon Allen out of the game. Martin was done after this year anyway. Anderson is the only real loss out of those 3 as Cheney seemed pretty buried on the depth chart.

Lots of young DL on the roster, some of them very highly rated out of high school. Think we will be alright going forward but also wouldn't be shocked to see a transfer come in along the DL.

Can confirm Martin hasn't been on the team for awhile. Haven't heard that he was injured.
Believe it was over "culture" and team rules, etc.
That's what burns implied

Martin was one year back up and was here because Cheney wasn't good and couldn't get on field. But your panic is noted

PJ Fleck is serious about winning titles. Lots of addition by subtraction going on. You need selfish/selfless team players to fill the roster.

Many kids dream of the NFL. Some don't put in the hard work deserving of a chance to start. Others think that their high HS star rating entitles them. Reality bites. Attrition happens all the time. That is why coaches are constantly recruiting.

I just hope that some of those kids who entered the Transfer Portal do not regret their decision. This is pouting that is irreversible.

I wouldn't want PJ Fleck's job to motivate 100 or so players in all phases - spiritually, emotionally, and physically. That is on top of recruiting, operations, and marketing. Not very many people have his high energy and attention to detail.

PJ Fleck is serious about winning titles. Lots of addition by subtraction going on. You need selfish/selfless team players to fill the roster.

Many kids dream of the NFL. Some don't put in the hard work deserving of a chance to start. Others think that their high HS star rating entitles them. Reality bites. Attrition happens all the time. That is why coaches are constantly recruiting.

I just hope that some of those kids who entered the Transfer Portal do not regret their decision. This is pouting that is irreversible.

I wouldn't want PJ Fleck's job to motivate 100 or so players in all phases - spiritually, emotionally, and physically. That is on top of recruiting, operations, and marketing. Not very many people have his high energy and attention to detail.
He is driven by his personal narrative as well and we’re lucky as heck to have him - imagine where we’d be without him???

Martin was one year back up and was here because Cheney wasn't good and couldn't get on field. But your panic is noted
Nobody panicking, but I think three players from one position all deciding to leave before the end of the season warrants a “sheesh”. If the same thing happened to one of our rivals, we’d be pointing to it as a sign of trouble, or at least a sign of something going on.

Nobody panicking, but I think three players from one position all deciding to leave before the end of the season warrants a “sheesh”. If the same thing happened to one of our rivals, we’d be pointing to it as a sign of trouble, or at least a sign of something going on.
Or.... a sign of a coach holding his players to high standards that some other programs might not do.

In the past I would agree if a bunch of guys transferred/left it would send up more red flags but in the current college football landscape, not so much.

Martin is a non-factor and Cheney didn't really seem to be in the rotation for one reason or another so makes sense they would go. Anderson is still the only one of the 3 that was unfortunate because he was in the rotation and looked like he could be a solid player. But there again, without knowing why he decided to transfer all we can do is guess as to the reason and it could be any number of things.

PJ straight up said to expect the unexpected, including transfers OUT with the portal.

I expect to be surprised, and maybe a bit less so with PJ's warning.

I think it means one thing; that the many younger DTs and DEs Fleck has recruited in the past two years are talented and have been developing quickly, pushing past folks like Cheney in practice and in PJ’s super-secret depth chart. These kids left to get in the transfer mix early, with maximum spots to land, perhaps seeing that the writing was on the wall for the 2022 season already. Prior to the transfer portal, these moves would have been troubling. With the transfer portal in full bloom, these moves are going to become commonplace and are, for the most part, signs that recruiting in the classes “behind” the transferees is working.

With all due respect, we will never know the real reasons why these players move on. Would hate to throw a kid into that group if he were leaving for reasons other than that.
Not much different than when us grown-ups take another job. Some of leave our old job for a better opportunity to use our talents. Some of us leave because we find out it is a bad fit. Some of us leave because we're just not happy. But I really doubt many of us stick around just to prove we're loyal and are afraid of being called a quitter, or a pouter. We usually do what is best for us.
I've never liked the criticism these kids receive whenever they move on to a different school. None of us are scrutinized to this level when we make life decisions.

With all due respect, we will never know the real reasons why these players move on. Would hate to throw a kid into that group if he were leaving for reasons other than that.
Not much different than when us grown-ups take another job. Some of leave our old job for a better opportunity to use our talents. Some of us leave because we find out it is a bad fit. Some of us leave because we're just not happy. But I really doubt many of us stick around just to prove we're loyal and are afraid of being called a quitter, or a pouter. We usually do what is best for us.
I've never liked the criticism these kids receive whenever they move on to a different school. None of us are scrutinized to this level when we make life decisions.
Yeah, there can be lots of reasons that lead to someone transferring and not all of them are related to anything on the field.

The portal has made it possible for players to explore their options more freely when their current situation isn't working out for one reason or another.

MJ is the only player that got a lot of playing time and was projected as future player to get PT.

You're just being you.

Agreed. I am speaking in generalities about some of the players..

There is a myriad of reasons why kids enter the Transfer Portal. The wheels of speculations churn when a player enters the Transfer Portal before the regular season is over. For many, it is to position themselves early in the recruiting for their prospective landing spots.

Top Bottom