USC and UCLA Planning to join BIG TEN.

I have to think it's not going to stop with USC/UCLA.
-Cal: In addition to the prestige of Cal, if Cal comes with, that should ease some of the political pressure of California state schools & UCLA coming.
-Stanford: If Cal comes, Stanford adds a rival, plus the prestige of Stanford academically & non-revenue athletically to me is a no brainer.
-Oregon: While not a blue blood, I consider Oregon a national brand.
-Washington: Probably could insert Colorado or Kansas, but Washington makes a natural 6 team Pacific-time & travel pod (even though 6 doesn't really go into 20).
Yeah if they are expanding west it means they want a national conference. And maybe 20-30 teams

To expand to 16 and make it pay for itself it had to be huge names USC fits that bill

Candidates in my mind:
North Carolina
Georgia tech
Virginia
Florida state
Clemson
Boston college
Syracuse
Notre dame
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Oregon
Ok state
TCU or Texas tech or Houston (probably only 1)
Oklahoma state

Honestly it's getting tough to stay interested for me. Too much change too quickly, too much money grabbing, it's turning into a something completely different than what was my favorite sport and level of that sport.
Yes. 100%. Mega conferences, NIL, round robin rivalry schedules... It's just too much. It's going to get tough soon to remember even who is in your conference. Can't wait to see the Maryland - UCLA rivalry bloom. But hey... if either of these teams plays its first BIG game against the Gophs, maybe that's worthy of another traveling trophy.

The ones against adding USC/UCLA are the same nostalgia crowd that want to keep Williams arena around....We are going to mega conferences and its going to be great. Big games every week.

Strange.
With these soon-to-be large conferences, I predict one day there will be just ONE, GIANT, BIG CONFERENCE with all schools in the country as a member. And that conference will be broken down into several divisions...most likely by geographic region. For example, we can call one division the Pacific Division for the schools on the west coast. We can call the division in the deep south something like the Southeast Division; out east they can be the East Division, and/or the Atlantic Division. We could even give the divisions a number based on how many teams are in the division...like "8", "10", or "12"...we could even throw a fancy word in front of that to give it a little flare, like "Grand", "Large", or "Giant". Also, each division can even have sub-divisions that break things down a little further.
The teams in each division will play against each other all season...and may even play a few games outside their sub-division, however they are allowed to play about 3-4 games outside of their division at schools supposedly below their talent level in hopes of pocketing some extra, joyless wins. Then at the end of the year the teams with the best record in each sub-division will play against each other to decide the division champ.
At the end of the regular season, a group of people can take a look at all of the divisions winners and see who is worthy of a post-season tournament. It may be hard to decide which teams to choose so they will most likely have to select based on the teams overall TV ratings, media bias, how many 5-star players each team has, or any school in the Southeast Division wether they have won their division or not.

NOTE: There may even be some universities that deem themselves too fancy to join the great conference and choose to remain "independent", but that is okay, they can hop around from division to division to chase some extra revenue or if they start to feel left out.

The ones against adding USC/UCLA are the same nostalgia crowd that want to keep Williams arena around....We are going to mega conferences and its going to be great. Big games every week.
How are the games going to be any bigger? I sure hope they change the name of the conference finally.

Reactions: MRJ

The Gophers might even get their first 5 star football players. Heck, they might load up with a half dozen 4 stars every year. With only 2 super conferences, all the 4 and 5 stars are running to them.

read an article - I think on ESPN with background.

a big part of this - no surprise - involves conference TV deals.

The reason this move would be less disruptive than potential moves in the ACC is that USC and UCLA have a grant of rights tied to the current Pac-12 television contract, which expires after the 2023 football season and 2023-24 school year. That's why the expectation is that both schools can go to the league for the 2024-25 season and not suffer any financial penalty.

Pac-12 officials had been nudging both Los Angeles schools for years to extend the grant of rights. The fact that they didn't hinted that they had greater ambition.

needless to say, this leaves the remaining Pac-12 teams in a very tenuous situation. They are losing the #2 TV market in the Country, making the value of any rights deal for the Pac-12 much lower.

Go get Notre Dame.

It's time for them to finally choose. Two super conferences will dictate championship terms. You're either in or out at this point.

UNC would be a great addition with Notre Dame, if you can somehow get the ACC schools out of their contract without penalty.

The conference schedule certainly needs to increase to at least 10 games now.

Look, it's about Money.

USC and UCLA are "name schools," but more than that, they give the B1G the LA TV market. More TV sets = more viewers = one big stinkin' TV rights deal!!!

and I'm up for night games with the Gophs at USC or UCLA.

having said that, I will be very interested to see how the conference is aligned and what type of schedule rotation is adopted.

and - for all the Kevin Warren bashing on here, this is a power move by the B1G. the B1G is telling the SEC "Bleep You. You think you're big - well, look at us now, sucker!"
It is doubtful that Warren initiated this proposal. He has never appeared to be that ambitious. Such a move will require lots of midnight oil.

I don’t want cfb to be more like the NFL; that’s why I like cfb. I don’t understand this need to continually fuck with something that was working.
$$$$

The television money for the B1G would be crazy with the addition of USC/UCLA. We already have the biggest and third biggest markets with LA the 2nd.

feeling more and more like the NFL all the time. color my interest as majorly dropping. Only a matter of time until there's either an NFC/AFC, East/West, etc set up in NFL lite version.
I have been a Gopher fan since 1969. I find my interest suddenly starting to drop. I don't like the NFL much. Don't need to see the Big Ten turn into a little NFL.

Sadly, I am not sure that the traditional Rose Bowl (or at least as much of the traditional Rose Bowl that still exists now) survives this. Probably was inevitable, but feels like another part of my childhood is disappearing.
The Gophers will win the new B1G the year after it ends or becomes a game between the Big 12/SEC. Book it.

Yep, at some point I'm just going to switch to the NFL. It's better football and my team actually will get (in theory) one of the top 30 guys every year.

It already happened for me with the NBA. I'm a big Gopher basketball fan but I'm more likely to watch a random NBA game than I am a random ACC game anymore.
Probably a guy who was a low 3 star out of high school.

But what about that New York market? Everyone knows NYC is just a hot bed of Rutgers die hards, it's hard to walk into a bar and not see fans clamoring for the Scarlett Knights.
Maybe Ruiz can hire high school football players to play at Rutgers and build his legal practice in NY.

Not really a fan overall of the amount of conference realigning and the move to super-conferences, but if it is inevitable because of money, this round of USC/UCLA is a lot more attractive fan wise than Maryland/Rutgers.

I'm about done with this money-grubbing garbage.

At the point where I don't care anymore

I have mixed feelings on this. I figured something like this would happen once the alliance didn't include scheduling games against each other.

This is dumb. Call me old fashioned but I like conferences being regional and smaller. A 20 team conference from New Jersey to California doesn't appeal to me.
I would say this is all about the Benjamins, but with the NIL coming along, it's more about the Madisons and Salmon P. Chases.

madison 5000.jpg

us-ten-thousand-dollar-bill-1934-10000-usd-treasury-note-serge-averbukh.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah if they are expanding west it means they want a national conference. And maybe 20-30 teams

To expand to 16 and make it pay for itself it had to be huge names USC fits that bill

Candidates in my mind:
North Carolina
Georgia tech
Virginia
Florida state
Clemson
Boston college
Syracuse
Notre dame
Stanford
Cal
Washington
Oregon
Ok state
TCU or Texas tech or Houston (probably only 1)
Oklahoma state
Any of these not named notre dame or aau are not happening.

Top Bottom