USC and UCLA Planning to join BIG TEN.

I like the move, albeit I live on the west coast so I'm a bit biased, but it would be nice to have consistent away games in Cali. Plus it will be fun to watch the Cali teams play in the snow.
Assuming the last game of the season is reserved for the "rivalry game", then USC/UCLA would be playing each other the last game of the year. But it can still get pretty chilly/snowy in Mpls/Madison/Michigan in mid-November in the second-to-last game of the year. That would be pretty entertaining.

New proposed division alignments. The Goliaths beat the piss out of each other and the last one standing takes on the top David.

Goliath:
OSU
USC
Michigan
Penn State
Wisconsin

David:
Everyone else

Look, it's about Money.

USC and UCLA are "name schools," but more than that, they give the B1G the LA TV market. More TV sets = more viewers = one big stinkin' TV rights deal!!!

and I'm up for night games with the Gophs at USC or UCLA.

having said that, I will be very interested to see how the conference is aligned and what type of schedule rotation is adopted.

and - for all the Kevin Warren bashing on here, this is a power move by the B1G. the B1G is telling the SEC "Bleep You. You think you're big - well, look at us now, sucker!"
This was always the right move. I never bashed Warren, but was confused on the “alignment” with PAC/ACC when we clearly had a move to make to keep CFB from becoming just the SEC/ESPN.

B1G WEST
MINNESOTA
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern
USC
UCLA

B1G EAST
OSU
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue

Which would be the stronger side now? I think this would flip the balance.

If this does happen it shouldn’t be surprising considering the Texas & OU joining the SEC.

I am all for USC & UCLA joining the B1G. I see this as a huge get for the conference. $$$$$$$

I agree in general.

I also wouldn't oppose this move due to the landscape.

I'd rather it not be this way, but if it does I want it done on our own terms without breaking up our rivalries..... conference.
Pretty much this. On the range of possible outcomes, this is a lot closer to top of the list than the bottom.

If I'm Big XII, I'm contacting Arizona/Arizona State/Colorado/Utah immediately. While definitely behind Big Ten/SEC, they have a chance to make out on this
They already went and offered Cincinnati and co. Should have waited.

Pretty much this. On the range of possible outcomes, this is a lot closer to top of the list than the bottom.
Yup, we can not like it ... but being a stick in the mud won't make it better ...

2880px-Boyaryna_Morozova_by_V.Surikov_%281884-1887%2C_Tretyakov_gallery%29.jpg

B1G WEST
MINNESOTA
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern
USC
UCLA

B1G EAST
OSU
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue

I hope they do this and revisit the pod thing. Play your division and 2 crossover games. A 4 year player still plays everyone at least once.

B1G WEST
MINNESOTA
Wisconsin
Iowa
Nebraska
Illinois
Northwestern
USC
UCLA

B1G EAST
OSU
Michigan
PSU
MSU
Maryland
Rutgers
Indiana
Purdue

Divisions will for sure be gone if this happens, and are likely gone regardless.

Sadly, I am not sure that the traditional Rose Bowl (or at least as much of the traditional Rose Bowl that still exists now) survives this. Probably was inevitable, but feels like another part of my childhood is disappearing.

I am pleased - for personal reasons. Jarring but is a logical progression as CFB evolves into super power conferences and left behinds. This could trigger an even wider consolidation. When the dust settles?

Sadly, I am not sure that the traditional Rose Bowl (or at least as much of the traditional Rose Bowl that still exists now) survives this. Probably was inevitable, but feels like another part of my childhood is disappearing.
The Rose Bowl hasn't been the Rose Bowl for a while now ...

The Rose Bowl hasn't been the Rose Bowl for a while now ...
You are correct, of course, but it was still recognizable enough that when I watched that game every year I could still feel the same hope that someday the Gophers would return there to play on New Year's Day against the champions of the Pac 8/10/12.

You are correct, of course, but it was still recognizable enough that when I watched that game every year I could still feel the same hope that someday the Gophers would return there to play on New Year's Day against the champions of the Pac 8/10/12.
I mean we could ....

And then "Oh sorry we're a playoff bowl this year"

As soon as that began it was dead to me.

Now if it was where we go play our new west cost best friends .... I'll take that nostalgia.

Top Bottom