UPDATED 12/18: UW reportedly hires Gary Andersen with career 30-31 record

As an Oregon State alum I would be shocked if this happens, but then again CFB is crazy these days. Maryland in the B1G, yeah right.
Mike Riley has had offers to coach UCLA pre Neweasal, Alabama pre Saban, and USC pre Lame Kiffen. Why would he want to be BA's waterboy?
Part of the attraction for Wisconsin is that he is Paul Chrysts' mentor. He gave him his first job and he was the OC, but not playcaller, at Oregon State
prior to taking the job in Madison. Riley has deep roots in Corvallis. He was the QB on two state championships teams at Corvallis high while his dad was an
assistant at OSU. This is his baby. After the USC offer he was given what amounts to a lifetime contract. I'm guessing this is a play for more money for him and his assistants
and promises of more resources to try to compete with the U of Nikegon in Eugene. He is an excellent coach and a true gentleman. After being a win in the Civil War away
from the Pac-10 championship and the Rose Bowl in 08 and 09, the next two seasons were very disappointing. He may feel unappreciated due to the criticism leading up
to this seasons turnaround. His loyalty to his staff has been his weakness. Kept a couple of long term guys around that could not recruit. Since they left the recruiting has picked up and the
results this year speak to that. Has lost five CW's in a row and I don't see him winning another as long as the Chipster is in Eugene. Would be facing the same thing with Meyer at Ohio State.
BTW, if this happens please call the suicide prevention line for me.

It would be a good hire for Wisconsin if true, Riley is a solid coach that has a tough situation being little brother in Oregon behind NikeU.

It would be a surprise to me if Riley left though, he's a Corvallis legend basically.

What? Not even close to true. Chryst had six football coaching jobs before Riley hired him.

Yes, it would be accurate to say that Riley gave Chryst his first paid FBS job, but certainly not his first job. Chryst was a grad assistant at West Virginia, worked as OC at UW-Platteville, had a couple gigs in the CFL and a job at Illinois State before Riley hired him as OC.

I don't really see this happening, but CFB is indeed crazy these days.

Some folks supposedly "in the know" say Barry and the new coach have already agreed to terms, but are waiting to announce - partially to avoid the sh*tstorm from some academics that took place when Barry hired Bielema (even though his contract says he doesn't need to follow standard UW hiring practices). In parenting circles, this is known as Picking Your Battles.

BA should just hire Chilly and get it done with.

Heard a lot of buzz around Toledo's Campbell lately but I'm not sure about that one. Would be an unexpected hire if true.

That's not true though, either. GAs do get paid.

My mistake - I thought GAs got what amounted to scholarships, to cover tuition and living expenses. Which I suppose is getting paid.

Hard to imagine him leaving Oregon State to be Wisconsin's 4th choice. At this point, that has to be a factor too, I would imagine.

I don't really see this happening, but CFB is indeed crazy these days.

Some folks supposedly "in the know" say Barry and the new coach have already agreed to terms, but are waiting to announce - partially to avoid the sh*tstorm from some academics that took place when Barry hired Bielema (even though his contract says he doesn't need to follow standard UW hiring practices). In parenting circles, this is known as Picking Your Battles.

Makes sense, rather than "Our sixth choice took the job".

They might be better off paying for a MAC coach.

I'm predicting either Bob Diaco or Joe Rudolph, they don't see willing to pay enough for a big name.

Rosemountain has nailed it.

Rosemountain is quietly waiting in the wings to take his expertise, experience, knowledge, and ass kissing to Barry Alvarez and become the next head coach at Wisky.

Swing and a miss!

@schadjoe: Mike Riley says he "has not interviewed, isn't scheduled to interview and has no interest in Wisconsin."

Go Gophers!!

hehehehehe

tumblr_medx0njxDZ1r1i8js.jpg

That is awesome. I wonder how much longer Barry will hold out on Barry to give him the job. I bet Barry wants Barry to get Barry a couple country club memberships to seal the deal.

Paging Barry Alvarez. Paging Barry Alvarez. Since nobody wants to coach at your college and you've been rejected about 5 times in 2 weeks. I would just like to remind you that I still have an active application. Call me when you're ready to talk.

it is officially 0. tho Randy Wright may have said 'no.'

So you are saying it is 6 "no's" and a maybe. Sheeeeeeiiiittt I may be a lottery winner too.

In fact, I prayed and prayed and prayed to win that big $575M lottery and I didn't win. When I asked God why, he answered..."Doc, ya gotta buy a ticket."

Top Bottom