UNC Attendance

Now we're going to have to play 3-4 helmet schools every year, plus Iowa and Wisconsin.

I like that. Yes, more of these better teams like Washington instead if Illinois. All of it is good. Traditional AND more big time pro teams.

Pure traditionalist = Nebraska out.

New + traditional = bigger lights to shine on you.

7294 tickets left
Looks like we have a nice sized geographic footprint. Wish that it translated into more fans. At least as far as UGA fans are concerned. On second thought not sure what this shows - but it does look good for the Gophers.

back to the expected attendance for Carolina. I know people post that "xxx # of tickets are still available for this game." just out of curiosity, where do you find that information?

another question for people who go to games regularly - I know almost everything is done online these days. is there an actual ticket window at the stadium that you could walk up to before a game and buy a ticket?

my reason for asking - I'm at the age where I can struggle with technology. ordering tickets online and putting them into a digital wallet is a pain. I'm never sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'd rather just have an actual piece of cardboard in my hand. and I suspect that could be why some of the older fans don't go to games - it's harder (from their point of view) to actually buy a ticket than it used to be.
The Gopher Ticket Office is located on the southwest corner of Huntington Bank Stadium near the Benton County Entrance and is open 3 hours prior to kickoff through the end of halftime. Windows at the main ticket office will be dedicated to ticket related issues. Above each window is signage indicating windows dedicated to general sales, will call, and premium tickets.

Looks like we have a nice sized geographic footprint. Wish that it translated into more fans. At least as far as UGA fans are concerned. On second thought not sure what this shows - but it does look good for the Gophers.
Unfortunately, this does not account for the peculiar obsession with JV college football in western Minnesota and the Dakotas

Labor Day, dumbass.

This game always draws fine and you know that.

Weak troll job.
Whoops, you know what I meant. Sorry I made the mistake. I stand corrected so you stand and get some help with your anger or take a happy pill.

Reactions: Go4

Doesn't include the UNC game, but 3 others.

I like a bunch of others here will be already at the game. Applaud the U ticket office for trying to move more seats. If i'm not mistaken a bunch of 6A HS football games open that Thursday also.
It's not just 6A, it's the majority of schools throughout the State. According to Minnesota Football Hub there are 103 games scheduled for Thursday and 71 on Friday.

It is looking like a “typical” opening Thursday night Gopher football attendance in the mid 40k range.

Last year’s games were on the aggregate the worst to watch in my lifetime. Boring and we played shitty. I won’t be surprised at all if our attendance overall is down. Bottom line the games need to be entertaining or people will find something else to do. None of the other reasons or rationale matter near as much.

Anybody who does go better be prepared for the traffic mess created by street work on the campus.
And your point is? Go early, stay late. Walk a couple of blocks then grab an Uber. Ride the light rail. Get dropped off and picked up. It’s not rocket science to get there and then get home.

Last year’s games were on the aggregate the worst to watch in my lifetime. Boring and we played shitty. I won’t be surprised at all if our attendance overall is down. Bottom line the games need to be entertaining or people will find something else to do. None of the other reasons or rationale matter near as much.
I would say they were the worst to watch in a few years but certainly not my lifetime. I have lived through some really bad years of Gopher football.

I had season tickets for 23 years and decided not to renew for several reasons already mentioned, as well as some others. I realize I’m just one person and it’s just anecdotal, but it seems like if they’re losing people like me, the program is not in a good place. Hope they prove me wrong.

Anyway, glad I was there for the Penn St game.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 8

one week away and down to 5784 tickets left

it will be interesting to see what the actual attendance looks like. I wish schools would release the actual turnstile count, but that's just not how it works.

It sounds a lot better to say "we sold 45,000 tickets" than to say "38,000 people attended the game."

but - actual attendance is a measure of interest in the team. if people are interested, they are less likely to 'eat' the tickets. when I worked at a radio station, we had tickets to give away, and some weeks they went unused because, despite all of our announcements of free tickets, nobody claimed them, or people would call in, say "I'll take the tickets," and then they would never show up to get them and the tickets would just sit there.

question - I know there is the secondary market, but is there any mechanism by which unused seats could be made available or re-sold? I envision a system where a season ticket holder could inform the U by a certain date that they will not be using their tickets for a game, and those seats could be offered to the public or, since they're already paid for, given away to the Boys & Girls Club or a similar organization.

it will be interesting to see what the actual attendance looks like. I wish schools would release the actual turnstile count, but that's just not how it works.

It sounds a lot better to say "we sold 45,000 tickets" than to say "38,000 people attended the game."

but - actual attendance is a measure of interest in the team. if people are interested, they are less likely to 'eat' the tickets. when I worked at a radio station, we had tickets to give away, and some weeks they went unused because, despite all of our announcements of free tickets, nobody claimed them, or people would call in, say "I'll take the tickets," and then they would never show up to get them and the tickets would just sit there.

question - I know there is the secondary market, but is there any mechanism by which unused seats could be made available or re-sold? I envision a system where a season ticket holder could inform the U by a certain date that they will not be using their tickets for a game, and those seats could be offered to the public or, since they're already paid for, given away to the Boys & Girls Club or a similar organization.
I believe the Attendance number in the box score is the actual count.

And your point is? Go early, stay late. Walk a couple of blocks then grab an Uber. Ride the light rail. Get dropped off and picked up. It’s not rocket science to get there and then get home.

I think the point was to give everyone a heads up that this won't be a traditional game day in regards to traffic (i.e. 4th street to 35W down to 2 lanes) and people should plan accordingly.

one week away and down to 5784 tickets left
...and going fast. I buy my tix through GopherSports and last week I was looking around and there were plenty of seats scattered throughout the stadium. I've been dragging my feet actually going through with a purchase but finally did today when I noticed all the seats in my usual spot are pretty much gone.

Unfortunately, this does not account for the peculiar obsession with JV college football in western Minnesota and the Dakotas
There's that and the fact that where FBS football is concerned, Eastern SD is Husker territory. I'm not sure ND has much of an allegiance to any FBS program.

My office had season tickets at TCF split between four partners some years ago but gave them up. There was always interest in the tickets early season but waned as the season wore on. Two of my partners were U grads. The third and I are not. I was the only hunter in the group and would rather spend Saturdays in the fall in western MN than in Minneapolis. I don't know what the other guys would rather do but nobody wanted tickets late in the season. Heck, we couldn't give away Wisconsin tickets and finally quit buying season tickets.

As a fan of a successful Dakota FCS school, I can tell you that sustained success is key to filing the stadium. The other FCS school in the state can't string together 2 playoff years in a row and can't sell tickets. I think if the Gophers could string together 3 straight 10 win seasons, interest would be there but the expectation is that the Gophers will be no better than mediocre.

I hope they do what they usually do and give students free tickets to the first game so the student section is packed. The incoming freshman class are taught the gameday cheers and traditions. A rocking student section really enhances the gameday atmosphere and the students have turned out the past few seasons.

My point is that 4th St. SE, a major westbound street carrying post-game traffic, which is congested when it has three lanes, is down to one lane, which will affect drivers, including Uber drivers, and I thought fans ought to know that so that they can plan accordingly.

Top Bottom