UNC Attendance

With no state fair lot, the state fair park and rides, students back on campus, Gopher football fans, and being a work day evening, the traffic for this game is always a complete CF. I typically arrive by 4pm and either tailgate or head to the market.
Yep, light rail is a great option to avoid the traffic.

It’s good to know you guys talk and fuss about the same crap we at Carolina do also. We have over 100+ posts on a thread that started talking about UVA season tickets sales and morphed into why we suck as fans and how we won’t sellout games this season. You are NOT alone.

Liberals don't like football unless there's a bandwagon to jump on , and the twin cities are jam packed with liberals.
I'm an out of state lib (Minnesota native) and will traveling back for the opener and will be at the UCLA game in Pasadena. There are several things that we don;t like, but football is not one of them.

Do you think we have a smaller chance now to go to the CFP then we had to win the Big Ten when it was actually ten teams? I'd say we have a better chance of going to the CFP than we did of winning the Big Ten back in the days of no divisions.

Yes, I do think we have a smaller chance. Back in the days of no divisions, the bowl games were still more meaningful. Making a Jan 1 game still meant a lot and players didn't sit out like they do today.

With the addition of the west coast teams, our schedule will always be tougher. Plus if if we finished tied with any of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Oregon, USC, or any other helmet school around the country, the committee will take them over us.

Yes, I do think we have a smaller chance. Back in the days of no divisions, the bowl games were still more meaningful. Making a Jan 1 game still meant a lot and players didn't sit out like they do today.

With the addition of the west coast teams, our schedule will always be tougher. Plus if if we finished tied with any of Ohio St, Michigan, Penn St, Oregon, USC, or any other helmet school around the country, the committee will take them over us.
Hmmm... I guess I just don't agree. I think the chances of us winning the Big Ten prior to Divisions was almost non-existent. We wouldn't have done it even in our best year in the last three decades - 2019. But we would have had a chance to make a 12 team CFP that year. I think there is actually way MORE to play for now.

The awful home conference schedule has to play a part in season ticket sales as well. We play only ONE traditional Big Ten school at home this year. Outside of Iowa, we get USC, Maryland and Penn State.

Absolutely brutal.
Really? Brutal? We get UNC, Iowa, USC and Penn State all at home. And that's "brutal." If you mean that it's going to be tough, then yes. If you are complaining about the teams on the schedule as being boring or something, I don't know what to tell you. BTW, I think the average casual Gopher fan would rather go to a game vs USC than many of our "traditional rivals" like Illinois, Indiana or Northwestern.

The upper deck tickets home side and away, especially in corners of the stadium have always been over priced. Sitelines are lousy and far away. Gophers don't have Vikings fan base eternal optimism, it's the opposite. For those of us going the traffic on campus is miserable. Be prepared to arrive early or take light rail and have long waits. As someone else said, traffic is brutal. When you haven't won a conference championship since 1967 it is hard to call Gopher football fan's bandwagon people, casual sports fans yes, season ticket holders no.

Last edited:

Really? Brutal? We get UNC, Iowa, USC and Penn State all at home. And that's "brutal." If you mean that it's going to be tough, then yes. If you are complaining about the teams on the schedule as being boring or something, I don't know what to tell you. BTW, I think the average casual Gopher fan would rather go to a game vs USC than many of our "traditional rivals" like Illinois, Indiana or Northwestern.
I think you are right that PSU and USC would be preferable to Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, NW, or even MSU. Maryland is a lame home game though.

The upper deck tickets home side and away, especially in corners of the stadium have always been over priced. Sitelines are lousy and far away. Gophers don't have Vikings fan base eternal optimism, it's the opposite. For those of us going the traffic on campus is miserable. Be prepared to arrive early or take light rail and have long waits. As someone else said, traffic is brutal. When you haven't won a conference championship since 1967 it is hard to call Gopher football fan's bandwagon people, casual sports fans yes, season ticket holders no.
Agree they are overpriced but 100% disagree about the sightlines. Not a bad seat there....and I've sat just about everywhere in the stadium.

I think you are right that PSU and USC would be preferable to Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, NW, or even MSU. Maryland is a lame home game though.
I don't know. I'd take the novelty of seeing Indiana at the Bank. It'd be nice to play a traditional rival at home more than once in 15 seasons. After this season, USC will have played more games at the Bank than the Hoosiers have.

What are the Gophers playing for this season? A 10 win season would be a great season but with B1G expansion, and without divisions, that wouldn't likely get them into a B1G championship or the CFP.

College football has become mostly meaningless for programs like the Gophers. When there was a chance to win the west and head to Indy every year, it was different.

All the Gophers have to play for is a chance to beat their rivals, and try to get into the best bowl game as possible, yet most programs treat those as meaningless too.

This is why I don't have anywhere near the same excitement for the season as I had in the past. I don't think I'm in the minority either.
10-2 would absolutely put us into the CFP.

Hell, 9-3 most years would put us in the mix.

The awful home conference schedule has to play a part in season ticket sales as well. We play only ONE traditional Big Ten school at home this year. Outside of Iowa, we get USC, Maryland and Penn State.

Absolutely brutal.
My main complaint about the schedule is how front loaded it is.

Starting off the season with 4 straight home games, and 5 home games in 6 weeks is terrible.

Some people will like that because of warmer weather, but I absolutely hate it. Always appreciate the games being spread out over the course of the season/autumn.

We only have 2 (!!!) home games post October 5th which really sucks.

The number one reason for Low attendance at games is that the people who did the price setting either did a bad job or did a profit maximization model instead of a fill the stadium model

Blame NIL.

No loyalty from players as they go for the money is leading to no loyalty from fans. College sports have killed the golden goose and consequently the interest of fans. Add to this the ticket prices that turn away the casual fan. Why pay $$$$ to attend a game where the weather could be crappy when you can sit in a comfortable bark-a-lounger for a couple bucks paid to get TV? For the common fan it's a no brainer.

On the positive side, enjoy the extra room to man spread. 😏
NIL can be blamed from a money standpoint as well. We're being asked to contribute and I do monthly to Dinkytown. That potentially allows less money to be spent on tickets then.

I really don't think UNC is much of a draw.

That's not a knock on their team, it's just locally it's not a game folks are interested in. Nebraska last year, way more interesting as far as local attendance goes.

Can talk about all the other stuff, but I think first and foremost it's about the match-up to start.

The number one reason for Low attendance at games is that the people who did the price setting either did a bad job or did a profit maximization model instead of a fill the stadium model
I’d say the #1 reason is a lack of interest.

I’d say the #1 reason is a lack of interest.
Lack of interest at that price certainly

The cheapest you can get a ticket on the primary market is 42+ fees

The stadium would have a different number of seats sold if it it was 30+ fees
Or 20+ fees.

I could get two tickets on the secondary market right now for 18+ fees.
So rather than people buying tickets right now though the U to M and increasing the number of tickets sold people are swapping tickets. Because the tickets being sold by the U are above the market value price right now. Tickets to this game are being bought every day. Just not from the U. I literally sold some about 3 weeks ago for below 42. (And it is why I’m on the record always saying I hate the Thurs night opener…I can never go)

Last edited:

on the "what are they playing for" issue.

The Gophers have not won a Conference title in 57 years. they tied for the West Division title once, but did not play in the Conference championship game. in those 57 years, the best conference record has been a 2-loss season 3 times.

the new format may make it more difficult to contend for a conference championship, but when you haven't done so in 57 years, is that really an issue?

the Rose Bowl as a goal is more or less out of the picture with the CFP playoff system.

so the goals, as I see them - in order of probability from most probable to least probable:
1. win 6 games, go to any Bowl Game (should be able to do this almost every year)
2. win 8+ games and go to a higher-ranked Bowl game
3. contend for a CFP playoff berth (will likely require a 10-win season)
4. contend for a conference championship (will likely require an undefeated or 1-loss conference season)

in short, most years the goal is to qualify for the highest-ranked Bowl Game. so nothing has really changed. most years since 1967, Gopher fans went into the season hoping they could make it to a Bowl Game. and now, we're going into the season hoping we can make it to a bowl game.

to quote the Talking Heads, "Same as it ever Was!"

on the "what are they playing for" issue.

The Gophers have not won a Conference title in 57 years. they tied for the West Division title once, but did not play in the Conference championship game. in those 57 years, the best conference record has been a 2-loss season 3 times.

the new format may make it more difficult to contend for a conference championship, but when you haven't done so in 57 years, is that really an issue?

the Rose Bowl as a goal is more or less out of the picture with the CFP playoff system.

so the goals, as I see them - in order of probability from most probable to least probable:
1. win 6 games, go to any Bowl Game (should be able to do this almost every year)
2. win 8+ games and go to a higher-ranked Bowl game
3. contend for a CFP playoff berth (will likely require a 10-win season)
4. contend for a conference championship (will likely require an undefeated or 1-loss conference season)

in short, most years the goal is to qualify for the highest-ranked Bowl Game. so nothing has really changed. most years since 1967, Gopher fans went into the season hoping they could make it to a Bowl Game. and now, we're going into the season hoping we can make it to a bowl game.

to quote the Talking Heads, "Same as it ever Was!"
Goals for me every year:
Go 5-4 in the conference or better
Beat Iowa
Beat wisconsin

All 3 are individually attainable.
If you achieve multiple of those in the same year it’s a really fun season.
If you achieve multiple of those in the same year often you’re wracking up 7-9 win seasons which sets you up for a break through at some point

10-2 would absolutely put us into the CFP.

Hell, 9-3 most years would put us in the mix.
Obviously depends on others quite a bit. I think gophers need 10-2 against this years schedule. (I don’t see the schedule as THAT difficult…miss my projected 1-2 in the conference and a 10-2 record may end up giving you zero or 1 top 25 wins….also may have you many more than that, but Penn state is the only legit top 15 team on the schedule in my opinion)
Wisconsin probably in the conversation at 9-3 this year.
Florida probably in the conversation at 8-4 this year.

Kelley Ford did a breakdown and this is what the breakdown told him
Not sure I agree with everything but based on projected schedule difficulty

Blame NIL.

No loyalty from players as they go for the money is leading to no loyalty from fans. College sports have killed the golden goose and consequently the interest of fans. Add to this the ticket prices that turn away the casual fan. Why pay $$$$ to attend a game where the weather could be crappy when you can sit in a comfortable bark-a-lounger for a couple bucks paid to get TV? For the common fan it's a no brainer.

On the positive side, enjoy the extra room to man spread. 😏
This is what killed my interest in Gopher basketball. I still watch and am still a fan but I used to base my errends and home duties around the Gopher basketball tv schedule and made sure I had those game times free. Now, I watch when it is convenient. Why? I don't "know" the players and takes me until way after New Years to have my favorite players and who I like to cheer for and don't like to cheer for. It's a brand new team each year and other than them wearing Maroon and Gold I don't know a majority of the team any different than the kids playing for any other university.

This is what killed my interest in Gopher basketball. I still watch and am still a fan but I used to base my errends and home duties around the Gopher basketball tv schedule and made sure I had those game times free. Now, I watch when it is convenient. Why? I don't "know" the players and takes me until way after New Years to have my favorite players and who I like to cheer for and don't like to cheer for. It's a brand new team each year and other than them wearing Maroon and Gold I don't know a majority of the team any different than the kids playing for any other university.
NIL/transferring has hurt my basketball interest more than football. Unless you're Colorado, you don't see half your team transfer in or out in football like we see all the time in basketball.

Top Bottom