UNC Attendance

I believe the Attendance number in the box score is the actual count.
The Box Score reflects tickets sold, not the turnstile (or now scanner) count.

My office had season tickets at TCF split between four partners some years ago but gave them up. There was always interest in the tickets early season but waned as the season wore on. Two of my partners were U grads. The third and I are not. I was the only hunter in the group and would rather spend Saturdays in the fall in western MN than in Minneapolis. I don't know what the other guys would rather do but nobody wanted tickets late in the season. Heck, we couldn't give away Wisconsin tickets and finally quit buying season tickets.

As a fan of a successful Dakota FCS school, I can tell you that sustained success is key to filing the stadium. The other FCS school in the state can't string together 2 playoff years in a row and can't sell tickets. I think if the Gophers could string together 3 straight 10 win seasons, interest would be there but the expectation is that the Gophers will be no better than mediocre.
I'm not going to dispute what you're saying for the most part, only to touch on a couple things. I would have taken your Wisconsin tix every single year without hesitation, and I know plenty of people who would have done the same. It really depends who you ask, so saying they can't be given away is silly.

As a resident of a Dakota with a successful FCS school, I can say that I and most of my friends don't give a bleep about any Dakota schools FB due to it being played indoors and also at somewhat of a jv level. I personally hate indoor football, always will. They sell a lot of tix to a small venue, for sure, but I know a lot of fans of the team who just don't go anymore due to games that just aren't competitive. Crazy but true. The other school who can't sell tix is located in the armpit of the state and nobody wants to go there. Except for hockey games, which I can't figure out.

Only half-kidding on some of this.

I expect it will be close to a sellout, if not sold out. We sold out two of the past three Thursday nights when we played good teams. I feel like we go through this countdown often when we hope for a sellout and aren't there two weeks ahead of time.

Last edited:

yes all the green dots don't forget the club seats
ah, I was only looking at the "state fair special" rate seats...when I exit and go to the main football ticket site, it shows a lot more dots

I'm not going to dispute what you're saying for the most part, only to touch on a couple things. I would have taken your Wisconsin tix every single year without hesitation, and I know plenty of people who would have done the same. It really depends who you ask, so saying they can't be given away is silly.
I know you were half-kidding, but half-serious.

I had season tickets from 1994 - 2016 or so, when they tripled the donation cost. I have a LARGE group of friends and acquaintances who love football. I also struggled to find people to go to games when I was up north fishing - Badger games as well, especially when it's 20 degrees. Everyone talks big online but when it comes down to a cold game, many back out. Personally I love those games. The colder the better. I distinctly remember a late-season Ohio State game around 2014/15 that nobody would take because it was going to be 10 degrees. I also refused to blind-sell my tickets online because I didn't want opposing fans to take them.

I'm still a hard-core fan but will not buy tickets anymore. I love the experience but it just doesn't make financial sense for me. It's not a UofM problem, but a cost-of-NCAA-football problem.

10-2 had us at 18th in 2019, not close. The CFP snubbed a 12-0 Florida State team last year. Who do you think they are going to choose if we are tied with Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, USC or any other helmet school? Not us.

The Gophers will have to go 11-1 to have any chance at a CFP. And that means they will have to beat Iowa and Wisconsin, plus get at least 2 wins against whatever group of teams they are playing from the list above that season.
IIRC the Gophers were in the top 12 prior to the Wisconsin game and likely would have been in if they'd won that game. So they were 1 win away. I'd say that's close.

IIRC the Gophers were in the top 12 prior to the Wisconsin game and likely would have been in if they'd won that game. So they were 1 win away. I'd say that's close.

They lost and finished 10-2. They weren’t close at that point.

The discussion was if a 10-2 Gophers team would make the CFP, or if the Gophers have a better chance of making it today. The answer is no to both.

They lost and finished 10-2. They weren’t close at that point.

The discussion was if a 10-2 Gophers team would make the CFP, or if the Gophers have a better chance of making it today. The answer is no to both.
Disagree. Only one really good win that year at that point.

If they are 10-2 with losses to NC and at Wisconsin they most definitely will be in the mix.

Would mean wins over Iowa, USC, Michigan, and PSU.

10-2 had us at 18th in 2019, not close. The CFP snubbed a 12-0 Florida State team last year. Who do you think they are going to choose if we are tied with Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, USC or any other helmet school? Not us.

The Gophers will have to go 11-1 to have any chance at a CFP. And that means they will have to beat Iowa and Wisconsin, plus get at least 2 wins against whatever group of teams they are playing from the list above that season.
A 10-2 PSU makes it and a 10-2 Gophs don't that year. Interesting.

Yep. Gophs were #8 going into the Wisconsin game.

Disagree. Only one really good win that year at that point.

If they are 10-2 with losses to NC and at Wisconsin they most definitely will be in the mix.

Would mean wins over Iowa, USC, Michigan, and PSU.

The chances of beating USC, Michigan, and PSU, and losing to UNC/Wisconsin are near zero.

Even if they did, it still depends on how Oregon, Ohio St, Michigan, PSU, USC, and the rest of the B1G finish. There will still likely be several teams that are tied or have a better record than 10-2.

The chances of beating USC, Michigan, and PSU, and losing to UNC/Wisconsin are near zero.

Even if they did, it still depends on how Oregon, Ohio St, Michigan, PSU, USC, and the rest of the B1G finish. There will still likely be several teams that are tied or have a better record than 10-2.
I agree the chances of that are near zero. Only pointing out that it’s more than possible for a 10-2 gopher team to make the CFB.

question - I know there is the secondary market, but is there any mechanism by which unused seats could be made available or re-sold? I envision a system where a season ticket holder could inform the U by a certain date that they will not be using their tickets for a game, and those seats could be offered to the public or, since they're already paid for, given away to the Boys & Girls Club or a similar organization.

Hockey tickets (men and women) can be turned back for a credit on season tickets next season. The men's team would have many vacant seats and yet huge demand for tickets. It made people livid. That program now makes those tickets for sale. Season ticket holders simply push the button in their accounts for that game to credit up.

Update: According to that link above:

1724378599322.png

As a resident of a Dakota with a successful FCS school, I can say that I and most of my friends don't give a bleep about any Dakota schools FB due to it being played indoors and also at somewhat of a jv level. I personally hate indoor football, always will. They sell a lot of tix to a small venue, for sure, but I know a lot of fans of the team who just don't go anymore due to games that just aren't competitive. Crazy but true. The other school who can't sell tix is located in the armpit of the state and nobody wants to go there. Except for hockey games, which I can't figure out.

Only half-kidding on some of this.
My JV team plays outside.

I live in outstate MN - there aren't very many died in the wool fans. Sure, folks jump on the bandwagon.

I'm not so sure "several" Big Ten teams will be 10-2 or better in most years, including this year. Too many top teams play against each other. As of now, most computer projections only have Ohio State and Oregon winning 10 or more games. Vegas has only Oregon and OSU with over/unders at 10 or more.

I'd say most years, a 10-2 Big Ten team is going to make a 12-team playoff. Most years the Big Ten will get 3 teams into the playoffs. Every once in a while only 2 will make it, and every once in a while maybe a 4th Big Ten team sneaks in.

It all depends on how everyone else finishes. Let's say Oregon and Ohio St finish with 1 or 0 losses, we beat USC, Iowa, and Wisconsin, but lose to Michigan and Penn St, and they both are tied with 2 losses.

We are the 5th B1G team in that scenario and not making a 12 team playoff.

The fact that the following matchups exist make it nearly impossible for Michigan, USC and Iowa to all finish with only 2 losses -- if Oregon and Ohio State have 0 or 1 losses and we beat USC and Iowa.

OSU plays Oregon
USC plays Oregon
USC plays Michigan
USC plays Penn State
USC also plays Notre Dame
Penn State plays OSU
Michigan plays Oregon
Michigan plays USC
Michigan plays OSU
Michigan also plays Texas
Iowa plays Ohio State

Under the above scenario, Penn State is the biggest threat to be 10-2 and keep a 10-2 Minnesota out of the CFP, with Oregon and Ohio State also going. (Of course, making the lofty and unlikely assumption that MN goes 10-2 with wins over USC and Iowa) Generally, I think if somehow the Gophers shocked us and went 10-2 in 2024, they would make the CFP.

Last edited:

Last year’s games were on the aggregate the worst to watch in my lifetime. Boring and we played shitty. I won’t be surprised at all if our attendance overall is down. Bottom line the games need to be entertaining or people will find something else to do. None of the other reasons or rationale matter near as much.
Any style of football is shitty and boring when you lose seven games. Fans come for winning teams.

Last edited:

High upper deck corners of stadium are poor sightlines, and the luxury boxes and loge seats do not have great viewing for such an expensive ticket, I should have clarified. My season tickets are downstairs, two in each corner, but I have occasionally given those seats to friends and family to try and interest, others in Gopher football. A lot of times when you do that, all that is available is upper deck corners, and they are overpriced, especially in the high corners near visitors section and press box the view near the aisle is poor. I have purchased loge box and box seats on secondary market, the only thing good about those is access to indoor seating and bathrooms. Food and drink options are not great in Cambria club to be honest compared to concourse level. Upper deck sidelines the views and sitelines are good.
Everyone I have ever talked to that has sat in the second deck (anywhere) has gone out of their way to express that they liked the view. My bro and sis in law have a loge box and love it, after having various other season tickets in the stadium. Based on my experience (having only missed two Gopher games in the history of the stadium), and others that I know… you sound hard to please.

It's not just 6A, it's the majority of schools throughout the State. According to Minnesota Football Hub there are 103 games scheduled for Thursday and 71 on Friday.
This. Plus our high school - Wayzata - has scheduled the youth football night for the home opener. This is where all the youth players go on the field before the game. Combine that with people going out of town/up north Thursday night for the long weekend, you can cut into a segment of football fans.

I'm surprised there are that many games scheduled for Friday night of a holiday weekend.

Top Bottom