UNC Attendance

The upper deck tickets home side and away, especially in corners of the stadium have always been over priced. Sitelines are lousy and far away. Gophers don't have Vikings fan base eternal optimism, it's the opposite. For those of us going the traffic on campus is miserable. Be prepared to arrive early or take light rail and have long waits. As someone else said, traffic is brutal. When you haven't won a conference championship since 1967 it is hard to call Gopher football fan's bandwagon people, casual sports fans yes, season ticket holders no.
Not sure I agree on the upper deck corner opinion. There's not a bad seat in the place. There's really only three corners. Two in top of upper deck are earmarked for away team fans.

There's Gophers you don't like to cheer for?!?
I definitely mistyped. More a conversation in my head of "Why the hell did they put this guy in?" or "Come on Ben, take out player xyz." To answer your question, I do cheer for every Gopher but some I just have far less confidence in. haha.

Hmmm... I guess I just don't agree. I think the chances of us winning the Big Ten prior to Divisions was almost non-existent. We wouldn't have done it even in our best year in the last three decades - 2019. But we would have had a chance to make a 12 team CFP that year. I think there is actually way MORE to play for now.

We were ranked 18th in the CFP rankings after the regular season that year and we avoided playing Ohio St and Michigan. We weren't close.

Now we're going to have to play 3-4 helmet schools every year, plus Iowa and Wisconsin.

10-2 would absolutely put us into the CFP.

Hell, 9-3 most years would put us in the mix.

10-2 had us at 18th in 2019, not close. The CFP snubbed a 12-0 Florida State team last year. Who do you think they are going to choose if we are tied with Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, USC or any other helmet school? Not us.

The Gophers will have to go 11-1 to have any chance at a CFP. And that means they will have to beat Iowa and Wisconsin, plus get at least 2 wins against whatever group of teams they are playing from the list above that season.

10-2 had us at 18th in 2019, not close. The CFP snubbed a 12-0 Florida State team last year. Who do you think they are going to choose if we are tied with Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, USC or any other helmet school? Not us.

The Gophers will have to go 11-1 to have any chance at a CFP. And that means they will have to beat Iowa and Wisconsin, plus get at least 2 wins against whatever group of teams they are playing from the list above that season.
The non-Conference schedule in 2019 was South Dakota St, Fresno St (4-8) & Georgia Southern.

This year North Carolina has a better chance to bolster the Strength of Schedule component, though Nevada & Rhode Island would be similar. I think a 10-2 campaign this year would get them closer (if not on the good side) of the CFP Bubble.

We were ranked 18th in the CFP rankings after the regular season that year and we avoided playing Ohio St and Michigan. We weren't close.

Now we're going to have to play 3-4 helmet schools every year, plus Iowa and Wisconsin.
Yeah, we were close. Much closer than we have been to winning a conference title in a long time. In 2019 we were were a dropped pass away vs Iowa from a top 12 regular season finish.

Yeah, we were close. Much closer than we have been to winning a conference title in a long time. In 2019 we were were a dropped pass away vs Iowa from a top 12 regular season finish.

And if we would have beat Iowa and lost in the Big Ten championship, we likely still wouldn't have been in the top 12.

You're almost making my point for me, even if we disagree how close we were. We were close because we benefitted from playing in a weaker B1G west. That's now out the window.

If the Gophers were to go 10-2 this season, which is a near certainty that it still wouldn't get them into the B1G title game, they will have to beat UNC in the non-conference, beat everyone else on the schedule and then go 3-2 against:

Iowa
Michigan
USC
Penn St
Wisconsin

And this will be a typical schedule going forward, mixing in Oregon and Washington at times.

The odds of getting to 10-2 are significantly less than they were in 2019.

I just don't think that's true- most simulations have shown that any team going 10-2 in one of the new "Power 2" (Big Ten / SEC) leagues will make it nearly every time.

The 2019 team had an awful non conference schedule and an extremely favorable conference slate (missed Michigan & Ohio State, plus decent Michigan St and Indiana teams).

This year we'll play Wisconsin and Iowa as always, plus Michigan, Penn State and USC...and UNC in the non con. I don't see us going 10-2 against that schedule but if we did, would have an excellent chance.

Objectively this is the case, but we seem to be arguing about two different things.

If we somehow manage to go 10-2 against this years schedule, I'd be shocked if we weren't in the CFP.

It all depends on how everyone else finishes. Let's say Oregon and Ohio St finish with 1 or 0 losses, we beat USC, Iowa, and Wisconsin, but lose to Michigan and Penn St, and they both are tied with 2 losses.

We are the 5th B1G team in that scenario and not making a 12 team playoff.

I think this gets back to something we've discussed on this board - what is the size of the hard-core Gophers fan base?

Hard-core, quite small. probably no more than 50,000 in the Twin Cities and surround metro. It also skews much older. Other schools have a much more hardcore base in their 30's and 40's age range.

What are the Gophers playing for this season? A 10 win season would be a great season but with B1G expansion, and without divisions, that wouldn't likely get them into a B1G championship or the CFP.

College football has become mostly meaningless for programs like the Gophers. When there was a chance to win the west and head to Indy every year, it was different.

All the Gophers have to play for is a chance to beat their rivals, and try to get into the best bowl game as possible, yet most programs treat those as meaningless too.

This is why I don't have anywhere near the same excitement for the season as I had in the past. I don't think I'm in the minority either.
There are 12 spots in the playoff. I'd hope. the transfer and NIL madness calms down after awhile and we can hopefully shoot for a 10-12 seed eventually

In 15 seasons of Gopher football at the bank, this is the first time I have seen these words used to describe second deck seating.
High upper deck corners of stadium are poor sightlines, and the luxury boxes and loge seats do not have great viewing for such an expensive ticket, I should have clarified. My season tickets are downstairs, two in each corner, but I have occasionally given those seats to friends and family to try and interest, others in Gopher football. A lot of times when you do that, all that is available is upper deck corners, and they are overpriced, especially in the high corners near visitors section and press box the view near the aisle is poor. I have purchased loge box and box seats on secondary market, the only thing good about those is access to indoor seating and bathrooms. Food and drink options are not great in Cambria club to be honest compared to concourse level. Upper deck sidelines the views and sitelines are good.

Last edited:

Not sure I agree on the upper deck corner opinion. There's not a bad seat in the place. There's really only three corners. Two in top of upper deck are earmarked for away team fans.
I'm talking the the rows 27 to 30 sections, those are not good value for the price and the view isn't great. Especially if the opponent is a team like Rhode Island, or Lousiana-L, or Western Illinois. If you give up your seats so other's can go, I guess is the reason those seat's really suck. We already pay a premium by scholarship donations, and buying seats. I'm trying to do my part to drum up interest, it really is a fun event if you can get people to go to Gopher football. No I do not charge friends and family, I do that at least 2-3 times a season. I gave Wisconsin tickets to family because of family funeral last year, most people would have sold the tickets to try and recoup scholarship donations.

Last edited:

High upper deck corners of stadium are poor sightlines, and the luxury boxes and loge seats do not have great viewing for such an expensive ticket, I should have clarified. My season tickets are downstairs, two in each corner, but I have occasionally given those seats to friends and family to try and interest others in Gopher football. A lot of times when you do that, all that is available is upper deck corners, and they are overpriced, especially in the high corners near visitors section and press box the view near the aisle is poor. I have purchased loge box and box seats on secondary market, the only thing good about those is access to indoor seating and bathrooms. Food and drink options are not great in Cambria club to be honest compared to concourse level. Upper deck sidelines the views and sitelines are good.
Boy, disagree on most of this. I move around just about every game, usually spending a quarter walking the upper concourse, great views from there. Sightlines in the upperdeck are just fine, probably better than in the same area lower level. Not a bad seat in the house.

Boy, disagree on most of this. I move around just about every game, usually spending a quarter walking the upper concourse, great views from there. Sightlines in the upperdeck are just fine, probably better than in the same area lower level. Not a bad seat in the house.
You like how far away from the field the loge boxes, and suite box seats(for that prices) are and the view in the upper corners? The only crappier view is lower sidelines front few rows obstructed, or aisle seats where people are going up and down all the time. Lower upper deck seats have great views. The upper deck corners are not Target Center crappy but these are not seats worth the price the U charges.

back to the expected attendance for Carolina. I know people post that "xxx # of tickets are still available for this game." just out of curiosity, where do you find that information?

another question for people who go to games regularly - I know almost everything is done online these days. is there an actual ticket window at the stadium that you could walk up to before a game and buy a ticket?

my reason for asking - I'm at the age where I can struggle with technology. ordering tickets online and putting them into a digital wallet is a pain. I'm never sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'd rather just have an actual piece of cardboard in my hand. and I suspect that could be why some of the older fans don't go to games - it's harder (from their point of view) to actually buy a ticket than it used to be.

You like how far away from the field the loge boxes, and suite box seats(for that prices) are and the view in the upper corners? The only crappier view is lower sidelines front few rows obstructed, or aisle seats where people are going up and down all the time. Lower upper deck seats have great views. The upper deck corners are not Target Center crappy but these are not seats worth the price the U charges.
Wow, you and I (and most other posters) have vastly different ideas of the views. The upper level is probably the best view for watching plays develop, especially the upper concourse. Loge boxes are not "far away". Haven't been in a suite but those who have that I have talked to love them.

We love our seats in 245. On big games (actually most games) we have a fair amount of visiting fans, this makes it a better experience. I understand the incredible view our Stadium offers in the better seats but, we are content with the great friends and fans around us.

You and I differ dramatically. I've had lower level aisle seats for probably 7 years now. Won't move tickets that's aren't aisle. I can haul ass to go to the bathroom, grab a beer and be back in my seat before w commercial timeout is over. It's glorious.

That might say more about the length of tv timeouts 😂

You and I differ dramatically. I've had lower level aisle seats for probably 7 years now. Won't move tickets that's aren't aisle. I can haul ass to go to the bathroom, grab a beer and be back in my seat before w commercial timeout is over. It's glorious.

That might say more about the length of tv timeouts 😂
Yeah I like the isle too. Can just send my kids off to the bathroom, all good, I can made the same run your describe if needed.

back to the expected attendance for Carolina. I know people post that "xxx # of tickets are still available for this game." just out of curiosity, where do you find that information?

another question for people who go to games regularly - I know almost everything is done online these days. is there an actual ticket window at the stadium that you could walk up to before a game and buy a ticket?

my reason for asking - I'm at the age where I can struggle with technology. ordering tickets online and putting them into a digital wallet is a pain. I'm never sure if I'm doing it correctly. I'd rather just have an actual piece of cardboard in my hand. and I suspect that could be why some of the older fans don't go to games - it's harder (from their point of view) to actually buy a ticket than it used to be.
I've heard you can get paper tickets if you ask. The u of m ticketing app used to be horrible but seems to be a little better now. You don't technically have to move the tickets to a wallet but it's recommended in case you don't get good internet at the gate.

A good buddy of mine works in the ticketing office at the U. He said interest across nearly all metrics they measure is way down for Gopher football this season. Goes without saying a strong start to the season is very much needed.
Fleck will have to find an Offensive Coordinator who can actually coordinate at a high level for more than the diehards to have interest. Until then the fan base will continue to dwindle.

Fleck will have to find an Offensive Coordinator who can actually coordinate at a high level for more than the diehards to have interest. Until then the fan base will continue to dwindle.
If we won our first 10 games this year by the score of 10-7, Iowa style, we'd have plenty of fan interest.

Top Bottom