Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, a 3.0 GPA at Apple Valley likely means the jump to rigorous academics at Duke will be a struggle for him. A non-athlete from Apple Valley would need somewhere in the ballpark of a 3.6-3.8 coupled with a good ACT score to get accepted, and be able to manage the workload at Duke effectively.

I highly doubt anyone is getting accepted to Duke with a 3.6-3.8 and a "good ACT" (26-30 range).... I had a 3.8 and a "good ACT" and barely got into the UofM from being out of state.... Duke is taking 4.0's for non athletes and maybe a 3.8 if you have a ton of extracurriculars...

(my statements are not supported by fact whatsoever, just on perception)

I highly doubt anyone is getting accepted to Duke with a 3.6-3.8 and a "good ACT" (26-30 range).... I had a 3.8 and a "good ACT" and barely got into the UofM from being out of state.... Duke is taking 4.0's for non athletes and maybe a 3.8 if you have a ton of extracurriculars...

(my statements are not supported by fact whatsoever, just on perception)

Exactly. It's a very challenging academic school. Jahlil on the contrary seems very articulate and intelligent from when I've spoken with him, I'm sure he'll manage his workload just fine.

Exactly. It's a very challenging academic school. Jahlil on the contrary seems very articulate and intelligent from when I've spoken with him, I'm sure he'll manage his workload just fine.

I wasn't trying to imply that he wouldn't be able to handle it with his 3.0.... I was wait-listed and eventually did not get into Carlson when I applied as a freshman, however, throughout my coursework I took numerous Carlson classes and got A's or B+'s in all of them. Carlson is prestigious, and I'm assuming Duke is the same way, but the coursework and expectations are very similar to any other school and with any sort of intellect you will be able to get through it.

Now balancing a basketball schedule, I cannot speak to that at all. But lets remember, Tyus isn't planning on graduating from Duke in 4 years, nor is Jahlil.....

I've never heard officially that Tyus has removed Minnesota from it's list, but it's pretty obvious he hasn't been considering the Gophers for awhile. ESPN's Paul Biancardi quoted this yesterday afternoon: Minnesota is out with Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley) as he is down to Duke, Kansas and Baylor.

For those upset that Tyus didn't take us off his list sooner, imagine if he had. Local media and fans of other teams (even some Gopher fans too, I suppose) would have ripped the Gopher program apart. "Tyus Jones lives and grew up in Minnesota, but isn't even CONSIDERING the Gophers? Wow, if that doesn't tell you the state of this program, I don't know what does." Maybe other recruits from other parts of the country would think to themselves, "maybe the Gophers aren't a good choice if Tyus isn't even considering them." Personally, I'm glad Tyus kept us on so we could avoid all that. The same fans who are mad about him keeping us on this whole time probably would have been mad at him for taking us off.

For those upset that Tyus didn't take us off his list sooner, imagine if he had. Local media and fans of other teams (even some Gopher fans too, I suppose) would have ripped the Gopher program apart. "Tyus Jones lives and grew up in Minnesota, but isn't even CONSIDERING the Gophers? Wow, if that doesn't tell you the state of this program, I don't know what does." Maybe other recruits from other parts of the country would think to themselves, "maybe the Gophers aren't a good choice if Tyus isn't even considering them." Personally, I'm glad Tyus kept us on so we could avoid all that. The same fans who are mad about him keeping us on this whole time probably would have been mad at him for taking us off.

I actually agree with that. As long as Tyus made it as clear to the coaching staff as it was to the fans that he wasn't considering the Gophers, then he did us a small favor by keeping our name in the press until now. I mean, I still don't like his decision, and I'll be rooting against him, but he's handled it in a classy way.

Meh. You win some and you lose some. He should just start in the NBA D league and be done with it and stop wasting tax payer money with this idea of playing college basketball for a year or two. IMO, he is almost NBA ready probably needs to get stronger and off he goes.

I forget, have Tyus/Okafor set an exact date yet? Hoping Okafor commits to Duke before Reid's decision (I know they are different positions).

Gophers are out:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Tyus Jones just told <a href="https://twitter.com/bobsansevere">@bobsansevere</a> on <a href="https://twitter.com/105theticket">@105theticket</a> tonight that the <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> are out. Not a shocker. Seems Duke or Kansas will get him.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/396425680881086464">November 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's about time he made it official.

Uh oh Mom not sold? My guess is she does not want to deal with disgruntled Gophers fans all basketball season

@AmeliaRayno 23s
Tyus Jones' mom, Debbie, just told me that her son has not eliminated any school. #Gophers

Uh oh Mom not sold? My guess is she does not want to deal with disgruntled Gophers fans all basketball season

@AmeliaRayno 23s
Tyus Jones' mom, Debbie, just told me that her son has not eliminated any school. #Gophers

He is going to announce soon any ways. Marcus also tweeted that Tyus said the Gophers are only out if he plays with Okafor. So there is a 1% chance that we are even considered since he's 99% sure that he plays with Okafor. So yeah, we're off the list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Apparently there was confusion. Debbie Jones set record straight to me. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> not eliminated with Tyus. Just with Tyus & Okafor together.</p>— Marcus R. Fuller (@GophersNow) <a href="https://twitter.com/GophersNow/statuses/396437444028952576">November 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

@AmeliaRayno 23s

Translation: They are still working on the terms/salary for her new job in Lawrence, KS

@AmeliaRayno 23s

Oh Debbie. You can stop the charade. You're not making it worse.

Correction: You're not making it better. You're only making it worse.

Translation: They are still working on the terms/salary for her new job in Lawrence, KS

You can take that to the bank. Most KU recruits have their parent's "find" jobs in Lawrence.

Oh Debbie. You can stop the charade. You're not making it worse.

Correction: You're not making it better. You're only making it worse.

History tells me it's not over until it's over, and that is next August when he enrolls at Duke or Kansas, until then anything can happen, ie. Riechart and Humphries, both committed/signed to other schools in the fall and ended up getting out of their LOI and enrolling at the U the following year. There is no reason to eliminate your home state school because you never know what might happen.

History tells me it's not over until it's over, and that is next August when he enrolls at Duke or Kansas, until then anything can happen, ie. Riechart and Humphries, both committed/signed to other schools in the fall and ended up getting out of their LOI and enrolling at the U the following year. There is no reason to eliminate your home state school because you never know what might happen.

By Riechart do you mean Rickert? He didn't sign with anyone other than the Gophers. He did have an Arizona hat on when he declared for the Gophers but that's about it.

By Riechart do you mean Rickert? He didn't sign with anyone other than the Gophers. He did have an Arizona hat on when he declared for the Gophers but that's about it.

Correct

Rickert didn't but Humphries certainly did. Actually happened quite a bit a few years back:

Kris Humphries - Duke
Dan Coleman - Boston College
Adam Boone - North Carolina
Ben Johnson - Northwestern

History tells me it's not over until it's over...

Most people want it to be over. At some point, you just have to move on.

I couldn't believe it when Mrs. Jones chimed in. What the hell. What kind of fools do these people think we Gopher rubes are? I have a hard time not being insulted by this whole fiasco.

Most people want it to be over. At some point, you just have to move on.

I couldn't believe it when Mrs. Jones chimed in. What the hell. What kind of fools do these people think we Gopher rubes are? I have a hard time not being insulted by this whole fiasco.

Yeah, they really should have just let it go and be known we are out. We got a taste of the media's response and it was pretty underwhelming. Essentially everyone's response was "No surprise, Minnesota will not be landing Tyus." Makes me think they are more into the attention than I originally thought.

It was more than that - Rickert actually committed to Arizona, announced and everything. But Monson said he'd keep recruiting him, and he did, and Rickert ended up signing with the Goph's.

It was more than that - Rickert actually committed to Arizona, announced and everything. But Monson said he'd keep recruiting him, and he did, and Rickert ended up signing with the Goph's.

Pretty much. It was well known that his recruitment was opened back up to minnesota and Arizona despite his verbal earlier. If memory serves me he had a ceremony on signing day and it was unknown where he would go. The zona verbal didn't mean much by that point. He wore a zona hat but switched to a gopher hat and faxed his signature. Pretty good theater and zona fans hated him ever since.

If Debbie wants people to fall in line with the charade, she needs to stop telling HER FRIENDS that it's down to Duke, Kansas, and Baylor. Truth is, she wants Tyus to pick Baylor.

If Debbie wants people to fall in line with the charade, she needs to stop telling HER FRIENDS that it's down to Duke, Kansas, and Baylor. Truth is, she wants Tyus to pick Baylor.

Why Baylor? Are they offering more $$$?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom