Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, why do you despise Duke so much? (other than Vitale and the fans)

Primarily 4 reasons:

1. Dick Vitale
2. Dick Vitale
3. Dick Vitale
4. Masters of the flop (Wojo, Battier, Paulus, the list goes on & on), which has dummed down the game. In fairness, Battier is one Dukie I actually like; he's a quality dude.

Coach K is a distant 5th.

Minnesota is at 0 unless someone in Tyus Jones family falls ill or something like that (obviously no one hopes this happens)... When his mother tweets pictures of Tyus & Jahlil together and says things like "future teammates" and Jahlil doesnt have us one his list, the chance of Tyus playing for us (baring something traumatic) is 0.

Someone in his family is actually ill.

Minnesota is at 0 unless someone in Tyus Jones family falls ill or something like that (obviously no one hopes this happens)... When his mother tweets pictures of Tyus & Jahlil together and says things like "future teammates" and Jahlil doesnt have us one his list, the chance of Tyus playing for us (baring something traumatic) is 0.

So your saying theres a chance?

i know hes just keeping us happy....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Had a good visit at Minnesota today.</p>— Tyus Jones (@Tyusjones06) <a href="https://twitter.com/Tyusjones06/statuses/367448512469811200">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

also only way i see a realistic chance is if mudiay signs with kentucky and then okafor signs also and tyus decides he doesent want to go there

duke doesn't use the low post... no way jahil goes there.
duke doesn't use the pg..

i called 'kansas' months ago... book it.. Self develops/needs both positions..

2013: parker comes with chicago baggage.. selfish w/handlers.. he is the 2nd coming of a selfish Austin Rivers.. things will not be happy/happy/happy down there this year.. so parker is one/done.. so no reuniting ex-Chicago players for jahil..

also, K is overrated as a coach.. very few players really develop down there.. the team has underachieved in the big dance 9 of last 10 years.. while Kansas always get more out of their talent... just look at last year..

kansas

duke doesn't use the low post... no way jahil goes there.
duke doesn't use the pg..

i called 'kansas' months ago... book it.. Self develops/needs both positions..

2013: parker comes with chicago baggage.. selfish w/handlers.. he is the 2nd coming of a selfish Austin Rivers.. things will not be happy/happy/happy down there this year.. so parker is one/done.. so no reuniting ex-Chicago players for jahil..

also, K is overrated as a coach.. very few players really develop down there.. the team has underachieved in the big dance 9 of last 10 years.. while Kansas always get more out of their talent... just look at last year..

kansas

Woooooah.... I hate duke too... But wow

Primarily 4 reasons:

1. Dick Vitale
2. Dick Vitale
3. Dick Vitale
4. Masters of the flop (Wojo, Battier, Paulus, the list goes on & on), which has dummed down the game. In fairness, Battier is one Dukie I actually like; he's a quality dude.

Shane Battier's game is absolute garbage. How that guy is in the NBA is beyond me.

Tyus, what will the Duke fans say when you announce your decision to go there? Probably, oh well, we just got another top recruit.
It is nothing special for them. Think about it, what would the fans of Minnesota say if you committed to the U of M? Minnesota fans would be estatic! Minnesota fans are hungry for a great team and you can help bring this to the State of Minnesota. When the Gophers went to the final four with Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson, etc... the State of Minnesota followed the team by the 1000's. Shock the world Tyus, commit to the University of Minnesota and you will see a state that will be absolutely crazy about Minnesota Gopher Basketball!

Primarily 4 reasons:

1. Dick Vitale
2. Dick Vitale
3. Dick Vitale

Ironically, I have a good friend that is an ACC fan, who rooted for Duke and changed because of the over-the-top hype of Battier in terms of off-court aspirations. Battier for President! Because of course when you pursue a career as a pro athlete, you are no doubt setting yourself up for a Presidential run. :rolleyes:

Tyus, what will the Duke fans say when you announce your decision to go there? Probably, oh well, we just got another top recruit.
It is nothing special for them. Think about it, what would the fans of Minnesota say if you committed to the U of M? Minnesota fans would be estatic! Minnesota fans are hungry for a great team and you can help bring this to the State of Minnesota. When the Gophers went to the final four with Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson, etc... the State of Minnesota followed the team by the 1000's. Shock the world Tyus, commit to the University of Minnesota and you will see a state that will be absolutely crazy about Minnesota Gopher Basketball!

Every Minnesotan wishes that Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn & Reid Travis would just all commit to play for the U. We all say the same exact things like you just said. It's sad that the 3 of them have never been that close. Maybe, just maybe, one of the 3 will stay home and be the hometown hero of the 2014 class.

Tyus Jones - 0.000000001%
Rashad Vaughn - 15%
Reid Travis - 16%

If not, we'll all just cry & think about what could have been - 3 native born sons, 3 high D1 guys, and a potential Final 4. That being said, if we get just one of them (hopefully Reid since he's a 4 year starter), along with a few other pieces like Tum Tum & J.P. (realistic recruits), than we could still be very, very, very good! Especially 4 years from now when all those guys would be seniors!

Haha, somewhat understandable. I find it somewhat ironic that you bring up masters of the flop and then mention Battier, but it's unrelated to the flop. I don't care how good of a dude he is, he's the "nice guy" who's actually a dirty player and flopmaster. Since the media loves him, that stuff gets overlooked (kinda like Wade). I can't see why you wouldn't like Coach K. Of all the great coaches in big time sports, he's up there for least *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#y.

Primarily 4 reasons:

1. Dick Vitale
2. Dick Vitale
3. Dick Vitale

OMGZ I THINK HE IS GOING TO COMMIT HERE!!1!!!1

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Had a good visit at Minnesota today.</p>— Tyus Jones (@Tyusjones06) <a href="https://twitter.com/Tyusjones06/statuses/367448512469811200">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

OMGZ I THINK HE IS GOING TO COMMIT HERE!!1!!!1

lol. Like he is going to tweet, Had a so-so visit at MN today.

Man I can't wait until this drama is over...

We can't hate him for going elsewhere though. People have to realize that he has to do what he feels is best for him and his family. He is still a Minnesotan at heart, and will still be representing his home state whether he goes to Duke, Kansas or Minnesota (haha). It is sad for us that the best PG in the country for 2014 is right in our backyard and we probably wont land him, but I'm sure many of the people on GH went out of state for school for various reasons (I did and am very happy with my decision) and with Tyus it is no different.

On the bright side there's always the Timberwolves :clap:

We can't hate him for going elsewhere though. People have to realize that he has to do what he feels is best for him and his family. He is still a Minnesotan at heart, and will still be representing his home state whether he goes to Duke, Kansas or Minnesota (haha). It is sad for us that the best PG in the country for 2014 is right in our backyard and we probably wont land him, but I'm sure many of the people on GH went out of state for school for various reasons (I did and am very happy with my decision) and with Tyus it is no different.

On the bright side there's always the Timberwolves :clap:

The wolves will draft him and then trade him for a head case.

Sounds familiar...

Every Minnesotan wishes that Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn & Reid Travis would just all commit to play for the U. We all say the same exact things like you just said. It's sad that the 3 of them have never been that close. Maybe, just maybe, one of the 3 will stay home and be the hometown hero of the 2014 class.

Tyus Jones - 0.000000001%
Rashad Vaughn - 15%
Reid Travis - 16%

If not, we'll all just cry & think about what could have been - 3 native born sons, 3 high D1 guys, and a potential Final 4. That being said, if we get just one of them (hopefully Reid since he's a 4 year starter), along with a few other pieces like Tum Tum & J.P. (realistic recruits), than we could still be very, very, very good! Especially 4 years from now when all those guys would be seniors!

I've said this before, but I'd just like to re-iterate the point that top recruits do not automatically = final four. Suppose we were able to land Tyus, Rashad, and Reid. That would still not be as good as UCLA's 2012 class of Muhammed (#1), Anderson (#3), Parker (#27), and Adams (#62). As we all know, the Gophers absolutely thumped them in the tourney last year.

It's fun to follow recruiting, especially in the off-season, but I think we tend to blow the recruiting game a bit out of proportion. I think finding the right players and DEVELOPING them is he most important thing, and the way we'll move into the upper half of the Big Ten under Pitino.

I've said this before, but I'd just like to re-iterate the point that top recruits do not automatically = final four. Suppose we were able to land Tyus, Rashad, and Reid. That would still not be as good as UCLA's 2012 class of Muhammed (#1), Anderson (#3), Parker (#27), and Adams (#62). As we all know, the Gophers absolutely thumped them in the tourney last year.

I believe that's why he used the word 'potential'.

It's fun to follow recruiting, especially in the off-season, but I think we tend to blow the recruiting game a bit out of proportion. I think finding the right players and DEVELOPING them is he most important thing, and the way we'll move into the upper half of the Big Ten under Pitino.

I agree with you and see both sides. It's going to take finding the right players and developing them to move into the upper half of the B10. By the same token, it's going to take players at the level of "The Big 3" and developing them to have Final Four potential.

As Cal has learned it generally takes more than a year to blend a group of great players into a good/great team.

As Cal has learned it generally takes more than a year to blend a group of great players into a good/great team.

Please elaborate on how he learned that... I would take a championship every few years in a heartbeat....

Please elaborate on how he learned that... I would take a championship every few years in a heartbeat....

He had some important players return the year they won their championship. That wasn't the case last year. This year they have a bunch returning and probably his best class ever, so they'll once again be tough.

He had some important players return the year they won their championship. That wasn't the case last year. This year they have a bunch returning and probably his best class ever, so they'll once again be tough.

Whatever fits your argument

all yous negative guys, shut yer yaps

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just had an interesting conversation with Tyus Jones. Said he's considering using his 5th official at Minnesota. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Amelia Rayno (@AmeliaRayno) <a href="https://twitter.com/AmeliaRayno/statuses/367721996097814528">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

Wasn't my argument, just pointing out what most analysts have. LOL - you seem insulted.

Not sure how you figure I seem insulted. And also, if I ever do feel insulted on a message board, please hit me with a tack hammer.

The starting 5 consisted exclusively of Freshman and Sophomores, 3 freshman and 2 sophomores. Exactly how long did that group get to blend into a good/great team? 1 year. Tell me all you want about having returning starters yadda yadda yadda, the truth of it is, a vast majority, if not all of the minutes played that year were played by unique sets of 5 guys that didn't have a year to blend together.

Not saying there is 0 value to having returning starters, and that team chemistry is not a big deal, all I'm saying is that Coach Cal hasn't learned a damn thing about not being able to get a bunch of youngsters to play together because his team "struggled" this past year. And recruits seem to agree with him/me.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just had an interesting conversation with Tyus Jones. Said he's considering using his 5th official at Minnesota. <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a></p>— Amelia Rayno (@AmeliaRayno) <a href="https://twitter.com/AmeliaRayno/statuses/367721996097814528">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>And while Tyus didn't officially rule out Ohio State, he said they haven't been contacting him much lately. MSU also not getting a visit.</p>— Amelia Rayno (@AmeliaRayno) <a href="https://twitter.com/AmeliaRayno/statuses/367722221667491840">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>While this certainly won't make his decision, Tyus seems to genuinely like the new <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> staff</p>— Amelia Rayno (@AmeliaRayno) <a href="https://twitter.com/AmeliaRayno/statuses/367722407718424576">August 14, 2013</a></blockquote>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom