Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign Washington and Vaughn and losing Jones won't be as bad. Lose all three and that will kind of sting.

It does sound like stars in the eyes syndrome as our top state players usually get but as you say---he is young.

Let's not go crazy here, folks. It's still very early. Would I be shocked to see Tyus leave the state? No. But again, if we have a good year this year and next, Tyus might very well be a bit more interested. I'm not going to worry about it until he officially begins to cut the list down a bit.

Losing Jones will not hurt as much as losing players who are likely to stay for 3-4 years. One-and-dones have their place in college basketball, but they are pretty much exclusively beneficial to powerhouse programs. People cite guys like Carmelo Anthony, John Wall, Derrick Rose, Greg Oden - but look at the schools they went to. They were great before those guys got there, great while they were there, and will continue to be great after. Look at our recent one-/two-and-dones: guys like Kris Humphries, Rick Rickert, and Joel Przybilla. All achieved little-to-nothing as Gophers. One-and-dones don't really do much of anything for programs like Minnesota. At powerhouse schools, they can be the difference between making the Sweet 16 and making the Final Four. At also-rans like Minnesota, they might give a small bump for that one year, but probably leave the program worse off as there is no continuity and they need to be replaced by what is likely to be yet another freshman or sophomore.

I would take that "report" with a serious grain of salt. I am sure the Trib Blog got it from a tweet that said Jones wanted to go to school with this other guy and that is where they were looking. It absolutely never occurred to the person that made the tweet that there would be any other schools involved. One tweet can cause some beat writer to pick it up and all of a sudden the Gophers are out of it. That is how the recruiting "game" works.

A "national" recruiting guy like that would never, ever have the Gophers on the radar for where Jones would go. Those guys need to pander to the big programs with the crazy recruiting fan bases. Simple as that.

If Cory Joseph was a one and done, I see no reason why Tyus won't be able to be one. The only thing that could hold him back is his slight frame (as of now, that could change in the next two years I suppose) and he doesn't seem to have elite athleticism, like an Andre Hollins does, Tyus is more of a floor leader and distributor.

Tyus Jones is being very coy about this whole thing. He is enjoying the process and I don't blame him. My prediction? As lousy as I predict things...I think he will be a Gopher.

There, the delightful, delovely, destupid, dehopeful Dr.Don has spoken.

Go Gophers.

He will change his mind a few hundred times between now and when it matters. I'd rather come from the back of the pack then be his choice now and wait for the balloon to burst. If Tubby can get a couple NCAA runs in, the local pressure on him to stay will ramp up.

I doubt that Tyus is being 'coy' .. he's only in the 10th grade. The likely story is that he has a buddy in Chicago that he would like to play college ball with... let's step back and see what happens over the next couple of years.

Did you read what I wrote? I said I'm not sure McHale would be considered in the same league as Tyus if Tyus were to lead the Gophers to several Final Fours. I understand McHale was a great player, but I'm not sure of what his success led to for the Gophers. Great NBA legend =/= great Gopher legend in my mind.

Is the Gophers' 1-10 finish last year...and then sittin' at home during March Madness...a reflection of the of the "success" of Trevor Mbakwe?

He will change his mind a few hundred times between now and when it matters. I'd rather come from the back of the pack then be his choice now and wait for the balloon to burst. If Tubby can get a couple NCAA runs in, the local pressure on him to stay will ramp up.

Good luck with that one. No offense, but they have almost no shot of making NCAA runs the next couple of years.

Is the Gophers' 1-10 finish last year...and then sittin' at home during March Madness...a reflection of the of the "success" of Trevor Mbakwe?
No, but would you not agree leading the team to multiple Final Fours would ADD to his success?

I wish that were true. They certainly have much different track records in the past 10 years.

Tom Izzo is a great coach, you are right. But he does have pretty much the same accomplishments and track record as Minnesota's Tubby Smith. They are both phenominal coaches.

I wish that were true. They certainly have much different track records in the past 10 years.

Don't look much different to me ...

Overall Record
Tom Izzo: 235-108 (.685)
Tubby Smith: 233-103 (.693)

Conference Record
Tom Izzo: 111-57 (.661)
Tubby Smith: 103-65 (.613)

Conf. Reg Season Champs: Izzo-2, Smith-2
Conf. Tournament Champs: Izzo-0, Smith-2

Champions: Izzo-0, Smith-0
Runner-Up: Izzo-1, Smith-0
Final Four: Izzo-2, Smith-0
Elite 8: Izzo-1, Smith-2
Sweet 16: Izzo-1, Smith-1
2nd Round: Izzo-1, Smith-3
1st Round: Izzo-4, Smith-2
NIT: Izzo-0, Smith-1
Nothing: Izzo-0, Smith-1

There are two lines that push it to Izzo:

Plus, the work Tubby did in accumulating a lot of his numbers were not done at his current school, while Izzo's are all at MSU. I think it's more a reflection on Minnesota than it is Tubby though.

Some similarities in the regular season, yes, but I think Izzo clearly has a big edge.

Izzo 19-10 in the NCAA's over the last 10 seasons with 3 Final 4's.
Tubby 11-8 with none.

Izzo 5 years with multiple wins in the NCAA Tournament (making it to the 2nd weekend).
Tubby 3 (last one 2005).

One advantage Tubby has is he's only had 2 (of 8) first-round exits in the last 10 seasons, Izzo 4 (of 10).

I think one thing will change in 2011-12. Tubby's going to get his first NCAA win @ Minnesota.

Some similarities in the regular season, yes, but I think Izzo clearly has a big edge.

Izzo 19-10 in the NCAA's over the last 10 seasons with 3 Final 4's.
Tubby 11-8 with none.

Izzo 5 years with multiple wins (making it to the 2nd weekend) in the NCAA Tournament.
Tubby 3 (last one 2005).

One advantage Tubby has is he's only had 2 (of 8) first-round exits in the last 10 seasons, Izzo 4 (of 10).

I think one thing will change in 2011-12. Tubby's going to get his first NCAA win @ Minnesota.

I definitley agree that Izzo has the edge due to his tourney success, but I don't think Tubby is that far below him.

It's already said but I think tournament success is the real barometer. Total winning percentage is kind of a joke when you compare the OOC schedules, and they really haven't been close in the past 10 years.

I must be missing something obvious in those stats you've posted, but I'm gonna copy and paste what's written on wikipedia for his success... Can you honestly say that Tubby's had anywhere close to as much success as Izzo's had in the past 10 years??

Accomplishments and honors
Championships
One NCAA Division I Championship: (2000)
Six Regional Championships - Final Four: (1999, 2000, 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010)
Six Big Ten Championship: (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2009, 2010)
Two Big Ten Tournament Championship: (1999, 2000)
Accomplishments
Two NCAA Championship Games: (2000, 2009)
Seven Elite Eight: (1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2010)
Nine Sweet 16: (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010)
Fourteen NCAA Tournament Bids: (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
Awards
Associated Press National Coach of the Year (1998)
Henry Iba Award (1998)
Big Ten Coach of the Year (1998, 2009)
Don't look much different to me ...

Overall Record
Tom Izzo: 235-108 (.685)
Tubby Smith: 233-103 (.693)

Conference Record
Tom Izzo: 111-57 (.661)
Tubby Smith: 103-65 (.613)

Conf. Reg Season Champs: Izzo-2, Smith-2
Conf. Tournament Champs: Izzo-0, Smith-2

Champions: Izzo-0, Smith-0
Elite 8: Izzo-1, Smith-2
Sweet 16: Izzo-1, Smith-1
2nd Round: Izzo-1, Smith-3
1st Round: Izzo-4, Smith-2
NIT: Izzo-0, Smith-1
Nothing: Izzo-0, Smith-1

Why is this? Sorry, but I need evidence not opinions.

Its a message board, it is made for opinions.

Whay makes you think they can make a run now? Their last run the the NCAA's was 15 years ago...

gopherbadgerman said:

Whay makes you think they can make a run now? Their last run the the NCAA's was 15 years ago...

I sure hope Kentucky fans don't think they can win a championship this year, their last one was over 10 years ago...

I'm not going to waste my time and look back at your old post. If I recall you "called" yourself a gophers fan. A true fan does not use the words they or their... they say we & our.

Phuc off & stay off this board.

Do I really need to say anything other than it's March freakin' Madness? If VCU can make a run, I think the Gophers have a chance. Just gotta make it in.

I'm not going to waste my time and look back at your old post. If I recall you "called" yourself a gophers fan. A true fan does not use the words they or their... they say we & our.

Phuc off & stay off this board.

Perfect example of a personal attack that is not needed. I am a gopher fan, however a realistic one. I have season tickets to the BB team and have given thousands of dollars in ticket fees over the years.

I am not part of the team, so I say "their". I hope they do make a run, but I was referring to a post saying the Gophs needed to make multiple NCAA runs to get Jones' attention. I just dont think there is a reason to suggest they will do that. A young backcourt this year with almost no B10 experience, and the next year they lose Trevor and Sampson.

What are your predictions?

This is a silly comparison. Since coming to Minn, Smith has not recruited padticularly well and looking at RS. & Williams he hasn't "coached them up" either. Don't know if this is to be laid at Tubby's feet or not, however. The lack of a decent practice facility with a brand new football stadium across the street may demonstrate second class citizenship for the roundball team. I'm not sure either Ralph or Rodney could be much better than they are.

Chris Monter: Apple Valley Guard Tyus Jones Makes Recent Visits; Attends Gopher Game

Tyus Jones, a 6-foot-2 sophomore point guard from Apple Valley, continues to attract interest nationally and will likely end up as Minnesota’s most highly recruited basketball player ever. GopherHole.com watched Jones play at the Minnetonka Fall League Sunday and caught up with him afterwards to learn the latest on his recruitment.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1554

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom