Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty awesome how they just left us out on his list.

Player respect for Michigan State's Tom Izzo noticeable to recruit Tyus Jones

"Coach Izzo, I look at the respect his players have for him," Jones told 247Sports.com. "It goes to show what type of coach he is and how his players respect him and feel for him. It’s great for them to have a relationship with him like that."

Besides Michigan State, the other schools Jones is considering are Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and Ohio State.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/05/player_respect_for_michigan_st.html

Go Gophers!!

JimmyJamesMD

Originally Posted by Parski1
I believe Tubby had a better chance at landing one of the Big 3.
I'm nominating this to Common Man's Preposterous Statement tournament.

This made me laugh! :D

Pretty awesome how they just left us out on his list.
Tyus hasn't really ever said anything good about the Gophers. Most positive comment was they are my homestate school. Having Minnesota on his list is a joke everyone is in on but Gopher fans.

If that's the case, he needs to stop telling the fans and media that Minnesota is still in the running.

Look, it's his choice to leave the state if he so chooses, but it does him no good to continue to lead people on...if that is what he's doing.

Tyus owes the fans and the media nothing. He owes Coach Pitino an honest answer and we can all only assume he has given it. Due to recruiting rules Pitino cannot say what Tyus has told him, but as long as Tyus is honest and it allows Pitino to recruit based off of the vibe he got from Tyus that is all that matters.

Tyus could care less and should care less for us Rubes. He has never met us so why should he keep us in the loop on his decision making.

**quick side note...Love or hate Tubby it doesnt matter but his lack of deep March Madness runs has nothing to do with recrutiing. If you look at Tubby's 7 years he actually recrutiing very well. ROyce, Rodney, Joseph, Hollins, Hollins, Walker were all highly rated recruits. Look at all the attention Ellis got this year after backing out of MN scholarship when Tubby left. Major schools wanted him immediately. So i would agree that Tubby probably had a good shot to land 1 of the big 3. We'll never know but for all the things to bash Tubby for which there are many, recruiting he was actually successfull in.

Tyus owes the fans and the media nothing. He owes Coach Pitino an honest answer and we can all only assume he has given it. Due to recruiting rules Pitino cannot say what Tyus has told him, but as long as Tyus is honest and it allows Pitino to recruit based off of the vibe he got from Tyus that is all that matters.

Tyus could care less and should care less for us Rubes. He has never met us so why should he keep us in the loop on his decision making.

**quick side note...Love or hate Tubby it doesnt matter but his lack of deep March Madness runs has nothing to do with recrutiing. If you look at Tubby's 7 years he actually recrutiing very well. ROyce, Rodney, Joseph, Hollins, Hollins, Walker were all highly rated recruits. Look at all the attention Ellis got this year after backing out of MN scholarship when Tubby left. Major schools wanted him immediately. So i would agree that Tubby probably had a good shot to land 1 of the big 3. We'll never know but for all the things to bash Tubby for which there are many, recruiting he was actually successfull in.

+1

I'm going to go back to my familiar point: whether it was recruiting or player development, not one of Tubby's recruits at Minnesota has still made it to the NBA. Clem averaged one player per year who went on to at least a cup of coffee in the Association.

If it isnt the Gophers, which it doesnt look like it will be, I hope Tyus goes to Kansas. A perennial powerhouse that is easy for me to root for come tournament time. I will find it hard to cheer for the hometown kid if he goes to another team in the Big Ten.

If it isnt the Gophers, which it doesnt look like it will be, I hope Tyus goes to Kansas. A perennial powerhouse that is easy for me to root for come tournament time. I will find it hard to cheer for the hometown kid if he goes to another team in the Big Ten.

I do agree that hopefully he picks a school outside of the big Ten if he doesn't pick Minnesota (I know it is an extreme longshot but we are still on the list so can hold out a sliver of hope). As for Tubby the recruiter I think he knew how to recruit quality players but development was definitely lacking and he seemed to struggle to find great shooters and point guards.

I'm going to go back to my familiar point: whether it was recruiting or player development, not one of Tubby's recruits at Minnesota has still made it to the NBA. Clem averaged one player per year who went on to at least a cup of coffee in the Association.

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but Royce White was drafted in the first round and I thought Paul Carter was with the Utah Jazz for about 48 hours or something. Didn't Clem also have to fudge Bobby Jackson's grades or something to get him into school?

I've liked most of the players that Tubby brought in, and thought most were good players or players that could contribute to a team. The problem I saw was that he didn't really put together a complete team with all the necessary parts.

As far as Tyus goes, I will still be shocked if it is not MSU or Duke. I think it has always been them

Not sure exactly what you mean by that, but Royce White was drafted in the first round and I thought Paul Carter was with the Utah Jazz for about 48 hours or something. Didn't Clem also have to fudge Bobby Jackson's grades or something to get him into school?

Neither have played in a game. I don't think the drought will last, as Trevor will probably check into a game at some point, and Andre has good odds of getting there. Still, Smith will never compare to Haskins or Dutcher in recruiting.

Neither have played in a game. I don't think the drought will last, as Trevor will probably check into a game at some point, and Andre has good odds of getting there. Still, Smith will never compare to Haskins or Dutcher in recruiting.

Different age. Different everything.

Seriously? How can you compare those coaches? You should throw in Musselman while your at it.

Seriously? How can you compare those coaches? You should throw in Musselman while your at it.

I almost did, but Muss's recruiting is tainted because of the violations. Still, Muss could recruit circles around Smith.

And why should I not compare Gopher coaches to each other? That would seem to be an apples to apples comparison, except for maybe Monson who was dealing with severe sanctions. The problem people have is that Smith does not compare favorably to those others, so regulators like you want to outlaw that kind of analysis and discussion.

I almost did, but Muss's recruiting is tainted because of the violations. Still, Muss could recruit circles around Smith.

And why should I not compare Gopher coaches to each other? That would seem to be an apples to apples comparison, except for maybe Monson who was dealing with severe sanctions. The problem people have is that Smith does not compare favorably to those others, so regulators like you want to outlaw that kind of analysis and discussion.

Obviously, the reason you shouldn't compare Smith to those coaches is because they're all cheaters.

Originally Posted by dpodoll68
Obviously, the reason you shouldn't compare Smith to those coaches is because they're all cheaters.

Dutcher cheated???

It IS a valid comparison, as neither cheated in the recruiting process. Clem cheated to keep guys in school. Please don't change the topic of conversation in order to avoid discussing Smith's recruiting deficiencies. I'll challenge you to participate in a factual and drama-free discussion about this.

You're correct - when referring to Dutcher, "scandal-ridden" or "controversial" would be better terms.

I'm not sure I would call it all that controverial either, he supported his players and resigned rather than throw them under the bus, sure he may have been pressured to resign but in the end his players were aquitted of any wrongdoing, who really knows what happened, there wasn't a long sequence of questionable things that happened while he was the coach.

I never really cared for his coaching but he was a good recruiter, and to compare him to Smith and question his integrity compared to Tubby's is just wrong.

Do we really want TJ for 1 yr.? Dre Hollins will end up being a more valuable Gopher than TJ

It IS a valid comparison, as neither cheated in the recruiting process. Clem cheated to keep guys in school. Please don't change the topic of conversation in order to avoid discussing Smith's recruiting deficiencies. I'll challenge you to participate in a factual and drama-free discussion about this.

I would agree with Bad Gopher. It is a valid comparison. Even if you discount the years that were vacated, Clem had deeper runs in the tourney in his first six years (Elite Eight, Sweet 16) than Tubby did in his six years. Players like Willie Burton and Kevin Lynch made a bigger impact (admittedly small) in the NBA than anybody will off Tubby's teams here. (and clearly Voshon Lenard/Bobby Jackson from the vacated years). I would argue Clem was a better recruiter and also a better coach.

It's funny how everyone bitches that we need to stop talking about Tubby - unless it's to rip him mercilessly, of course.

And no, I don't care to have a discussion about Tubby's recruiting "deficiencies" in a thread about Tyus Jones.

It's funny how everyone bitches that we need to stop talking about Tubby - unless it's to rip him mercilessly, of course.

And no, I don't care to have a discussion about Tubby's recruiting "deficiencies" in a thread about Tyus Jones.

+1

It's funny how howie +1's a post in the Tyus thread about how great a recruiter Tubby is, then (s)he +1's a thread about how disgraceful it is to discuss Tubby's recruiting in the Tyus thread.

:rolleyes:

I thought with Tyus and Reid on Howard Pulley they would have an excellent record. Are they playing tougher competition this year? Usually they are all guards and only one decent big guy?

I thought with Tyus and Reid on Howard Pulley they would have an excellent record. Are they playing tougher competition this year? Usually they are all guards and only one decent big guy?

Yes they play here this weekend against some of the best teams in the country.

per Sid:

Tyus Jones of Apple Valley, who continues to be one of the highest-rated basketball players in the country in the Class of 2014, will be on display along with his Howard Pulley squad and 44 other great teams at the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League tournament in Eagan this weekend. So far in EYBL play, Jones is averaging 23.2 points, 2.6 rebounds, 6.8 assists and two turnovers per contest. He is also hitting a tremendous 56.5 percent of his shots from the field.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/208762061.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom