Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Illinois is on Okafor's list but not Tyus', right? So you could say that Tyus will drive Okafor away from Illinois. Isn't that the same logic you're using to say Okafor is driving their decision?

That would hurt their argument though, haha. I'm glad someone else realizes Tyus isn't simply following. If anything, it's the other way around, and it's certainly not a done deal that there's any type of package. I would be surprised if more than two of them end up at the same school. I also wouldn't be shocked if Okafor and Tyus end up at different schools.

So Illinois is on Okafor's list but not Tyus', right? So you could say that Tyus will drive Okafor away from Illinois. Isn't that the same logic you're using to say Okafor is driving their decision?

Where is Okafor from? Illinois. Where is Tyus from? Minnesota. Honorary inclusion of the home state...nothing more, nothing less. I want Tyus as bad as anyone but if you take him at his word that he's definitely going to the same college as Jalil, it won't be at the U.

That would hurt their argument though, haha. I'm glad someone else realizes Tyus isn't simply following. If anything, it's the other way around, and it's certainly not a done deal that there's any type of package. I would be surprised if more than two of them end up at the same school. I also wouldn't be shocked if Okafor and Tyus end up at different schools.

I don't know....for some strange reason I tend to give more credence to what these two kids are actually saying instead of uninformed speculation from posters on a message board. I'm not making any "argument"...don't need to. The kids speak for themselves and I just react with an opinion, right or wrong. You bash MTG for stating his own opinion as if you've cornered the market on "correct" or "acceptable" opinions. Give it a rest already. You don't think all of us want to log on, come to this thread and see where Tyus has said he's going to" make his decision based on what's best for him regardless of what Jalil decides to do"???

Tyus and the Howard Pulley team went undefeated in this weekend's tournament in Eagan including a decisive win over Kansas City today in the championship. Tyus, Reid Travis and Jarvis Johnson (all MN recruits) played very well.

Wouldn't Illinois be on Tyus' list if Okafor was "drving the boat?" Feel free to ignore logic and facts though.

Are you ignoring the facts? Has Tyus visited Illinois? Has Jalil visited the U? IF they go to the same school, it won't be either. My hope is Tyus goes his own way and opts for the U but that is not what their comments indicate.

Wouldn't Illinois be on Tyus' list if Okafor was "drving the boat?" Feel free to ignore logic and facts though.
Okafor is doing the same thing Tyus is doing pacifying his home state by having them on his list. That seems logical to me.

Are you ignoring the facts? Has Tyus visited Illinois? Has Jalil visited the U? IF they go to the same school, it won't be either. My hope is Tyus goes his own way and opts for the U but that is not what their comments indicate.

What are you talking about? I never said anything about where they are going to school. He was saying that Minnesota not being on Okafor's list proves that Tyus isn't "driving the boat," but Illinois isn't on Tyus', so you could use that exact logic to say that Tyus is "driving the boat." Was pointing out that his logic is flawed and he has no idea who is the leader in the whole package deal thing.

Okafor is doing the same thing Tyus is doing pacifying his home state by having them on his list. That seems logical to me.

Did neither you, nor Slim Tubby even read my post or the one I was responding to? That wasn't even the logic I was referring to. I was referring to him thinking Okafor is the leader in the whole thing. His logic to support it was flawed. That's all.

Let me educate you on "logic":

1. Illinois is not on Tyus' list an he's not going there
2. Minnesota is not on Okafor's list and he's not going there
3. Both Tyus and Okafor have said they are going to the same school

If you want to argue that Tyus is driving the bus then explain to me how Okafor gets here when he's not considering our school. Based on what they are saying, Tyus is not a Gopher. I will concede that that they are driving the bus together and that path does not lead to Dinkytown but rather MSU, Duke or Kentucky and those options make me puke, especially MSU.

Did neither you, nor Slim Tubby even read my post or the one I was responding to? That wasn't even the logic I was referring to. I was referring to him thinking Okafor is the leader in the whole thing. His logic to support it was flawed. That's all.

My bad, dude...I responded before seeing the post.

You've already contradicted yourself in your very first line. You give more credence to what they say... selectively. You take them for their word on being a package deal, yet you take your own "uninformed speculation" when it suits your argument (schools they're actually considering).

Where exactly did I say Madtown's opinion is incorrect? I said that he, like others, don't need to repeat themselves when they say Tyus isn't coming here. I tend to agree with most of his posts, but he gave that opinion 3x during a short time frame.

I don't know....for some strange reason I tend to give more credence to what these two kids are actually saying instead of uninformed speculation from posters on a message board. I'm not making any "argument"...don't need to. The kids speak for themselves and I just react with an opinion, right or wrong. You bash MTG for stating his own opinion as if you've cornered the market on "correct" or "acceptable" opinions. Give it a rest already. You don't think all of us want to log on, come to this thread and see where Tyus has said he's going to" make his decision based on what's best for him regardless of what Jalil decides to do"???

FSN Q&A: Tyus Jones 'blessed' to be part of recruiting process

FSN: You, Rashad Vaughn and Reid Travis have been called the "Big Three" of the 2014 recruiting class in Minnesota. How close are you with those two and how would you describe their games?

JONES: I'm good friends with both of them. I grew up playing with Rashad on an AAU team when we were younger. I knew Reid as a friend, just playing against him growing up and now with him on my (AAU) team we're becoming closer friends. A lot of people have been talking about us three and different stuff like that. With Reid playing on our team we're becoming closer friends. We're working pretty well together on the floor. I played against Rashad last weekend, actually, in a great game. It's all just really fun.

FSN: How often do the three of you talk about the recruiting process?

JONES: Not a whole lot. We try to let each other have their own space when it comes to the recruiting process, just because it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. It's something you should be able to enjoy and just experience. Obviously it's come up a few times just because how much people talk about it, so we've talked about it a little bit but not too much.

FSN: Have you, Rashad and Reid been able to realize just how special your recruiting class is?

JONES: I really don't think it's really hit any of the three of us. I've have to agree with you and say the Class of 2014 is an extremely, extremely talented class for Minnesota basketball. I think it is the most talented recruiting class that Minnesota has had.

FSN: Speaking of recruiting, you and Jahlil Okafor of Chicago are good friends. Do you still talk about going to the same school? (Minnesota is not on Okafor's list of schools.)

JONES: Yes sir. We're still planning on attending the same college.

FSN: Speaking of Coach Richard Pitino, have you had the chance to talk with him much? What have your impressions been just from your interactions with him?

JONES: We have started talking. I met with him and his staff, and I also text back and forth with a couple of the assistants and also with Coach Pitino, so we have started to build a relationship. We talk every so often. He knows the game of basketball. He's been around the game of basketball. He's been around the game of basketball, has a high basketball IQ. It's really good to see a guy like him get hired for the Gophers because you can tell he's hungry and excited to get going.

FSN: Have the Gophers' coaching changes altered your view of the University of Minnesota as far recruiting goes?

JONES: The University of Minnesota is still one of the seven schools on my final list. I'm still evaluating them as an option. I don't think they dropped or moved up or anything like that. They're still a school that I'm evaluating and a good possibility. Just another school that I'm looking at going to.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...be-part-of-recruit?blockID=899397&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

I don't know how he can say MN is still on his list in one breath, and that he fully intends to play with Okafor in another.....unless he believes there's a chance Okafor will come here....which there isn't. Not liking the charade. :rolleyes:

Considering we are going after Kaleb, it's safe to say Richard not going to wait for Tyus and end up without a 14' pg. That's what Tubby would have done and then scramble and reach on a Mav2.0 type guy.

@RyanJamesMN 1 May Kaleb Joseph is a 4star PG recruit in 2014, Joseph Uchebo is the 35th ranked juco in 2013. Articles on both today at http://Minnesota.rivals.com

per Shama:

U Not Gaining or Losing in Tyus Chase

Debbie Jones told Sports Headliners her son Tyus remains interested in the Gophers. She also said the highly coveted Apple Valley junior point guard may choose a college as part of a group decision with Jahlil Okafor from Chicago and Justise Winslow from Houston.

Tubby Smith and his staff spent time pursuing Tyus but Smith was fired as Gopher coach in March. During the search process for a new head coach it appeared Flip Saunders might succeed Smith. Saunders, a former point guard who made a career coaching in the NBA, knows Tyus and local recruiting observers thought Saunders might win a recruiting derby for Debbie’s son who could be the best player nationally in the prep class of 2014.

With a new Gopher coach in Richard Pitino, who is only 30 with one year of head coaching experience, are the Gophers behind or ahead where they once were in the recruiting process with Tyus?

“I think they’re the same as they always have been,” Debbie said. “Tyus has it narrowed down to seven schools and Minnesota is one of those seven. They were there kind of regardless of who is coaching there. I think the new coach, coach Pitino he’s reached out and we’ve had a number of conversations. They’re still in the running.”

The seven schools are Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota and Ohio State. Pitino is no power coach like Mike Krzyzewski, Bill Self, John Calipari, Tom Izzo and Thad Matta but the Gophers are the hometown team. Coach Scott Drew and Baylor in faraway Waco, Texas might seem like an unusual final seven choice.

On the Baylor staff is former Hopkins High School standout Jared Nuness, a distant cousin of Tyus. He has long admired Nuness. “It’s family and so you know…it’s a consideration,” Debbie said. “It’s always nice to know somebody and stuff like that.”

Does Pitino’s lack of experience as a head coach work against him in eventually convincing Tyus to become a Gopher? “Well, I guess it’s just something you take into consideration as he (Tyus) goes through this process and we’re looking at all the schools,” Debbie said. “You kind of take everything into consideration. I don’t know that that will be a determining factor but you consider all the things when you look at the seven schools.”

In the Rivals.com top 150 for the national high school class of 2014, Okafor, a center, is rated No. 1 while Tyus is No. 3 and Winslow, a forward, is No. 10. If those three decided on the same university, boosters would immediately make airline and lodging reservations in Indianapolis for the 2015 Final Four. How much credibility is there about a possible Tyus-Okafor-Winslow package?

“I know Tyus and Jahlil talk about it frequently and I really believe that that will happen,” Debbie said. “Justise from Texas is another one — that they’ve talked about going somewhere together. I do see that happening. So as we get right down to it and taking some official visits, narrowing things down, I think it’s a real possibility.”

Worth Noting

Tyus Jones’ grandfather, Dennis Deutsch, may have a kidney transplant but must have more tests. Deutsch and Tyus have a close relationship.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Tyus-Okafor-Winslow package... Hope this 'package' deal is not the new fad.

@DanielleBloeme Recruiting Insider | Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor may extend package deal to include Cliff Alexander and Justise Winslow

I wouldn't even be mad if they all went together. I like that players are coming to college to win i.e. the Fab Five. I think it might hurt the overall landscape of college basketball, but the overall importance for college basketball is that the traditional powers are successful.

This can be compared to professional basketball and the Lakers. People hate to see the large market teams (Lakers) win or be in the championship. However, the ratings for those series are higher than when smaller market teams or surprise teams make the finals (I would consider Miami for basketball to be similar to Lakers now).

In regard to Shama's make reservations for the 2015 final four that might be a bit over the top at this point when you consider they still high school juniors. And just say Minnesota has no chance Debbie. She doesn't know what will be the reason he picks a school and on the other hand you consider everything. Vague much?

Yeah that Debbie Jones interview did absolutely nothing to solidify my confidence in Tyus choosing Minnesota. I love that Pitino is going after other top PGs in 2014, just so we aren't scrambling like we were so many times under Tubby.

Yeah that Debbie Jones interview did absolutely nothing to solidify my confidence in Tyus choosing Minnesota. I love that Pitino is going after other top PGs in 2014, just so we aren't scrambling like we were so many times under Tubby.
The worst is it didn't evn solidify my confidence he is even considering Minnesota like even as a longshot.

The worst is it didn't evn solidify my confidence he is even considering Minnesota like even as a longshot.

Yeah you could really tell where we stand when she said the coaching change had zero affect and then also mentioned Minnesoat has always been in it simply because they are the hometown team. Vaughn and Reid have both given quite detailed reasons why they like the Pitino hire, even Vaughn's dad talked about why he was impressed with Pitino.

@DanielleBloeme Recruiting Insider | Tyus Jones, Jahlil Okafor may extend package deal to include Cliff Alexander and Justise Winslow

I have no problem with these package deals as long as it is not a case of the package going to the highest bidder (which let's be honest it almost certainly is, in todays college basketball). Kentucky proved this year that all the elite talent in the world does not guarantee you are going to win it all. They brought in a huge amount of high school talent, missed the NCAA tournament and got bounced early in the NIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom