Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As good as Tyus is, it is not a foregone conclusion that he will dominate as a freshman and therefore establish himself as a one and done. Particularly if he plays in the B1G, he will be going up against consistent, physically strong athletes. He may have to get stronger and play 2 or more years before being ready.

Burke was terrific as a freshman, got stronger and was NBA ready as a sophmore.

As good as Tyus is, it is not a foregone conclusion that he will dominate as a freshman and therefore establish himself as a one and done. Particularly if he plays in the B1G, he will be going up against consistent, physically strong athletes. He may have to get stronger and play 2 or more years before being ready.

Not that I'm any authority but I tend to agree. He needs to add some strength.

Keith appling.....

Burke and Jones are different players, for what he does I don't see how Jones isn't ready right now, I was surprised to see how explosive he is, he has a gear that I don't think anyone in the B1G has, he's not a great scorer, doesn't play above the rim, and might need a little added strength defensively, but boy what he does bring he can do today, I can't see the NBA not coveting that as soon as possible, NBA teams will assume they can develop him on the job.

Burke and Jones are different players, for what he does I don't see how Jones isn't ready right now, I was surprised to see how explosive he is, he has a gear that I don't think anyone in the B1G has, he's not a great scorer, doesn't play above the rim, and might need a little added strength defensively, but boy what he does bring he can do today, I can't see the NBA not coveting that as soon as possible, NBA teams will assume they can develop him on the job.

You lost me here.

Jones is awesome and probably will be a short term college off to the NBA guy but there are some great players in the Big Ten and I am not sure he is head and shoulders above the talent in the conference. As for the NBA yeah they don't tend to like the idea of investing millions in guys that are not NBA ready. Jones doesn't strike me as someone that could make the leap from High School to the NBA. He strikes me as an elite D1 talent who almost certainly will end up in the NBA.

@DarrenWolfson: Tyus Jones meets w/ Richard Pitino today. Yesterday he got an in-home visit from Baylor's Scott Drew. Drew w/ Rashad Vaughn today. #gophers

It's only my unqualified opinion of course but I don't believe for one second that Tyus Jones isn't a one and done player. It just sounds like the nonsense that Harrison Barnes also spouted about the importance of his education. What a load of sh-t that turned out to be.

Just because someone leaves school early doesn't mean they automatically don't take their education seriously. There are many players who have gone back to school after leaving for the NBA.

Jones is awesome and probably will be a short term college off to the NBA guy but there are some great players in the Big Ten and I am not sure he is head and shoulders above the talent in the conference. As for the NBA yeah they don't tend to like the idea of investing millions in guys that are not NBA ready. Jones doesn't strike me as someone that could make the leap from High School to the NBA. He strikes me as an elite D1 talent who almost certainly will end up in the NBA.
You must not follow the NBA. Almost all lottery picks are drafted on potential. Jones will be a one and one based on his potential alone and will be a lottery pick. People that don't see this just want to hold onto the fantasy that he will play for the Gophers for multiple years.

Highly unlikely that Tyus will be one and done. As skilled as he is, from a physicality standpoint, he won't be to handle the rigors of the NBA that soon. Who is he going to guard at level? He's not a great athlete so there will be some ups and downs early in his college career. And if he chooses Duke, I doubt he even starts over an improving, veteran guard like Quinn Cook. If Chris Paul wasn't a one and done player (he wasn't physically ready), then lets simmer any talk of him going pro after his freshman year.

Highly unlikely that Tyus will be one and done. As skilled as he is, from a physicality standpoint, he won't be to handle the rigors of the NBA that soon. Who is he going to guard at level? He's not a great athlete so there will be some ups and downs early in his college career. And if he chooses Duke, I doubt he even starts over an improving, veteran guard like Quinn Cook. If Chris Paul wasn't a one and done player (he wasn't physically ready), then lets simmer any talk of him going pro after his freshman year.

You said exactly what the NBA does...draft a potential great, work him in the D League till he is ready. The NBA pays big bucks for these kinds of lottery picks. I personally think he will be one and done.

Tyus is definitely not a one and done player imho, he is not ready for that level physically and I do not see him being that ready in a couple of years. I think a couple of years in college will do him good.

You said exactly what the NBA does...draft a potential great, work him in the D League till he is ready. The NBA pays big bucks for these kinds of lottery picks. I personally think he will be one and done.

You don't go from being the #1 recruit in the country one year into the NBA draft the next in order to develop in the D-league. If he isn't a solid early to mid first round pick I doubt he'd go one and done.

You also don't use a lottery pick on someone who needs to develop in the D-league.

2 things. One, you don't have to be "ready" for the NBA to be picked in the first round. Two, if a guy is a consensus first round pick, usually he will leave. Jones is probably no different - if his stock is such that he will be a first round pick after his frosh season, then he probably won't be back.

You don't go from being the #1 recruit in the country one year into the NBA draft the next in order to develop in the D-league. If he isn't a solid early to mid first round pick I doubt he'd go one and done.

You also don't use a lottery pick on someone who needs to develop in the D-league.

Danielle Orten played about 5 minutes per game at Kentucky. He left after his freshman year and was picked in the first round.

If Tyus wanted to be, he could easily be one and done.

My first post on this site...

FYI....extended interview with Tyus Jones on Rosen Sports Sunday tonight.

While that's generally true, I don't think that will necessarily be the case. For example, if the draft that year is loaded at pg and he's supposed to go late first round, I would guess he'd come back for another year to raise his status.

2 things. One, you don't have to be "ready" for the NBA to be picked in the first round. Two, if a guy is a consensus first round pick, usually he will leave. Jones is probably no different - if his stock is such that he will be a first round pick after his frosh season, then he probably won't be back.

You must not follow the NBA. Almost all lottery picks are drafted on potential. Jones will be a one and one based on his potential alone and will be a lottery pick. People that don't see this just want to hold onto the fantasy that he will play for the Gophers for multiple years.

I will admit I don't follow the NBA super close however I stand by the point I was trying to make. If Tyus goes to college and lives up to the hype then yeah he is a Lottery pick and a one and done. My point was to the effect he is not going to be a lottery pick if he is deemed as not ready to play in the NBA. At least from what I have seen the D League is not the ideal landing spot for Lottery picks. If you draft in the lottery you want a guy that can come in and play right away not sit for a few years developing.

My point was to the effect he is not going to be a lottery pick if he is deemed as not ready to play in the NBA...If you draft in the lottery you want a guy that can come in and play right away not sit for a few years developing.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you've made it abundantly clear that you don't follow the NBA. This isn't the way they do things - not even close.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you've made it abundantly clear that you don't follow the NBA. This isn't the way they do things - not even close.
Actually it's pretty close. Teams in the lottery rarely draft guys in the lottery that aren't expected to contribute in their rotation. There are exceptions- playoff teams in the lottery w/ someone else's pick, picking a foreign player a la Ricky Rubio, or this year's exception of Nerlens Noel (injury).

Not saying he's spot on, but his general thought about how teams in the lottery view their pick is pretty close.

Actually it's pretty close. Teams in the lottery rarely draft guys in the lottery that aren't expected to contribute in their rotation. There are exceptions- playoff teams in the lottery w/ someone else's pick, picking a foreign player a la Ricky Rubio, or this year's exception of Nerlens Noel (injury).

Not saying he's spot on, but his general thought about how teams in the lottery view their pick is pretty close.

Nah. If you're talking Top 6-7ish, then yes. Often those guys are counted on heavily from the beginning by default because their teams are so bad that someone has to play. If it's the latter half of the lottery, teams will very often take high-ceiling players who will likely play no more than 10-12 mpg in their first season.

Nah. If you're talking Top 6-7ish, then yes. Often those guys are counted on heavily from the beginning by default because their teams are so bad that someone has to play. If it's the latter half of the lottery, teams will very often take high-ceiling players who will likely play no more than 10-12 mpg in their first season.

I will full on admit to not being a great NBA mind but my point was about drafting a lottery pick and sending them to the D-League to develop. I looked at last years draft and there is one guy from the top 15 playing in the D-League (Lamb #12 Rockets).

I fully understand that a lottery pick may not start right away and spend a few years on the bench but that is very different then drafting a guy in the lottery and shipping him to the D-Leauge to improve because he is not viewed as ready to be on an NBA roster.

I will full on admit to not being a great NBA mind but my point was about drafting a lottery pick and sending them to the D-League to develop. I looked at last years draft and there is one guy from the top 15 playing in the D-League (Lamb #12 Rockets).

I fully understand that a lottery pick may not start right away and spend a few years on the bench but that is very different then drafting a guy in the lottery and shipping him to the D-Leauge to improve because he is not viewed as ready to be on an NBA roster.

Lottery players don't often get sent to the D League. That's a pretty far cry, though, from your initial (and false) point that the NBA doesn't draft players in the lottery who aren't ready for the league. They do it very frequently.

Lottery players don't often get sent to the D League. That's a pretty far cry, though, from your initial (and false) point that the NBA doesn't draft players in the lottery who aren't ready for the league. They do it very frequently.

Ok...I am not going to waste more time agruing with you about the definition of NBA ready because clearly that will be about as much fun as ramming my head into a brick wall over and over again :banghead:

But just to try and clarify, my definition of NBA ready is good enough to be on the roster of an NBA team and see minutes during a game. So if you want to claim that teams spend lottery picks on guys that are not even good enough to make the roster then go ahead I really don't care enough to do more research then what I already did to back it up. You may not believe me but I was referring to picking a guy and shipping him to the D-League. That would basically be the equivalent of an NFL team picking a guy in the first round and parking him on the practice squad.

But hey feel free to take more shots at my NBA knowledge....because clearly I have no shot to keep pace with your superior basketball knowledge.

What do you mean nah? You're agreeing with me. I said teams rarely draft guys in the lottery that aren't expected to contribute in their rotation. 10-12 mpg (and most lottery picks contribute at least that) is a rotational player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom