Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
... if you can get any of the big 3 you take them in a heartbeat. When there is elite talent right in your backyard you want those players even if they are only around for one year. Basketball is a sport where a copule of elite talents can transform an average or good team into a great one over night.

Absolutely agree with this sentiment. To argue that we should be leary of taking any of the big three because they might be "one and doners" is cutting your nose off to spite your face. If your argument is that you don't want to be a KY type program that gets McDonald All Americans, in other words "one and doners", I think you can rest assured that Minnesota will likely not have to make that decision very often.

true, however, if we do not get Jones---our world does not end.....

Agree 100% but you still recruit him as hard as you can right up until the moment he tells you that you are out of the running for his services. You have to have a backup plan in place but you do whatever you can to get the elite talent to sign.

It's absolutely mind boggling that anyone could possibly think we would be better off without Tyus or any other elite, one-and-done player. Can't even wrap my head around that "logic."

Here's the thing that I think is grossly overlooked...

Let's say we get all of the Big 3. What are our expectations? Big Ten Championship? Final Four? Take a look at the top classes according to Rivals from 2012.

1. Kentucky
2. UCLA
3. Arizona
4. NC State
5. Indiana
6. Baylor
7. Michigan
8. Providence
9. UNC
10. Kansas
11. Texas
12. Pitt
13. MSU
14. Maryland
15. Houston

Based on the rankings of the guys in this year, us garnering all three of the Big 3 would definitely get us a top 5 ranking nationally. But look at the teams listed. Of the Elite 8 teams in this year's tournament, only Michigan had a top 15 ranking nationally. 6 of the teams didn't even make the NCAA tournament.

Obviously, the Gophers would be a much better team with these guys than without them. But we can't assume that if these guys sign with the gophers that they'll turn us into a high contender. Look at NC State. Widely picked to win the ACC and challenge for more based on a ubertalented freshman class, but it didn't really turn out. How about UCLA? #2 recruiting class in the country and we hammered them.

Hopefully Pitino can reel at least a couple of them in, and I can look back at this post an laugh at my caution!

Based on the rankings of the guys in this year, us garnering all three of the Big 3 would definitely get us a top 5 ranking nationally. But look at the teams listed. Of the Elite 8 teams in this year's tournament, only Michigan had a top 15 ranking nationally. 6 of the teams didn't even make the NCAA tournament.

Obviously, the Gophers would be a much better team with these guys than without them. But we can't assume that if these guys sign with the gophers that they'll turn us into a high contender. Look at NC State. Widely picked to win the ACC and challenge for more based on a ubertalented freshman class, but it didn't really turn out. How about UCLA? #2 recruiting class in the country and we hammered them.

Hopefully Pitino can reel at least a couple of them in, and I can look back at this post an laugh at my caution!

You are correct just getting them is not enough to guarantee anything. But our odds of being a great team and winning it all would be a whole lot higher with them on board than it would be without them. Say the unthinkable happens and all three sign with the U of M at the bare minimum you expect to contend for the Big Ten Title, make the NCAA tournament, and hopefully make some noise.

Here's the thing that I think is grossly overlooked...

Let's say we get all of the Big 3. What are our expectations? Big Ten Championship? Final Four? Take a look at the top classes according to Rivals from 2012.

1. Kentucky
2. UCLA
3. Arizona
4. NC State
5. Indiana
6. Baylor
7. Michigan
8. Providence
9. UNC
10. Kansas
11. Texas
12. Pitt
13. MSU
14. Maryland
15. Houston

Teams don't play with freshmen only. Some of those teams had very little returning. Our recruiting class would be way better than most of those, plus we would have Andre. Tyus, Andre, Rashad, Reid, and Eliason would be a phenomenal starting lineup and much better than most of those teams.

Teams don't play with freshmen only. Some of those teams had very little returning. Our recruiting class would be way better than most of those, plus we would have Andre. Tyus, Andre, Rashad, Reid, and Eliason would be a phenomenal starting lineup and much better than most of those teams.

Yeah, if we can net a starting lineup like that, on paper it'd be quite good, potentially the best in the conference. It'd be about what other pieces are involved as to whether we'd truly challenge for the B1G title. We'd need Coleman, Buggs, and Ellenson to be legit 6 thru 8 guys, or if they're not, Pitino has some scholarships to work with to bring in guys who can be. There's potential there though. Obviously nothing's guaranteed, but your chances increase dramatically when you're bringing in top 10 talent, especially guards.

bobsansevere ‏@bobsansevere 7m
Tyus Jones on Pitino: "I can hear in his voice how excited he is to get going ... That's what you want to see in a coach: The passion."

bobsansevere ‏@bobsansevere 4m
More Tyus on Pitino: "His style of play is going to be up and down and fast-paced, which is what I'm looking for in a school."

Tyus Jones on Pitino: "I can hear in his voice how excited he is to get going ... That's what you want to see in a coach: The passion."

More Tyus on Pitino: "His style of play is going to be up and down and fast-paced, which is what I'm looking for in a school."
Hard on

tumblr_lhkdez69U81qblm06.gif

bobsansevere ‏@bobsansevere 2m
And this: Tyus Jones says he might delay making his college choice to see how Pitino coaches the Gophers in his first season.

bobsansevere ‏@bobsansevere 2m
And this: Tyus Jones says he might delay making his college choice to see how Pitino coaches the Gophers in his first season.

Now THAT is a good sign. If he's willing to delay his college decision to see 1 single school's progress, that school must be pretty important to him and high up on his list.

per the Sansevere interview, linked by Jon:

"I've talked to him probably three times since he got the job," Jones said Wednesday, April 10, during an interview at his high school. "I'm starting to build a relationship with him, which is the first thing you have to do."

Go Gophers!!

per the Sansevere interview, linked by Jon:

"I've talked to him probably three times since he got the job," Jones said Wednesday, April 10, during an interview at his high school. "I'm starting to build a relationship with him, which is the first thing you have to do."

Go Gophers!!

If Pitino is able able to talk Tyus into sticking around when it has looked like nearly a foregone conclusion he was out of here Pitino will instantly become a rock star with the fanbase. Those comments by Jones are certainly very positive signs that at the very least he is making some progress with Tyus.

The interview with Sansevere is well worth reading. Tyus comes across as a very down to Earth kid, would be awesome to see him in Maroon and Gold in 2014.

If Pitino can get Tyus in his first "real" recruiting class, look out. Any current claims that he is a coaching prodigy will pale in comparison to the accolades and hype he'd get if he convinces Tyus to stay home. It would raise a lot of eye brows around the country and surely open up a lot of doors that may not have been open prior (talking recruiting not new jobs!). Not going to get my hopes up though. Haha

It seems like that's by far the most positive interview we've read from Tyus. It actually gave me some hope.

"BS: You don't sound like a one-and-done player."

Anyone find that statement slightly odd/offensive? I realize it might be in response to the importance of education stuff, but the comment was well after that.

It seems like that's by far the most positive interview we've read from Tyus. It actually gave me some hope.

+1

After reading this, i want us to land Tyus just because he sounds like such a mature and composed individual. Basketball skill aside, it seems like he would be an asset to the team.

"Come Tyus, Go Gophers!" - This needs to be the new chant for the upcoming season and probably also the new team slogan. Every game, all game long, plastered on (eco friendly) stickers everywhere throughout the metro.

It says that Tyus was definitely watching this past season and probably didn't like how Tubby's team was playing. I think we have a better shot now, and if Pitino has success this year we may have a decent shot to get him.

It's only my unqualified opinion of course but I don't believe for one second that Tyus Jones isn't a one and done player. It just sounds like the nonsense that Harrison Barnes also spouted about the importance of his education. What a load of sh-t that turned out to be.

It's only my unqualified opinion of course but I don't believe for one second that Tyus Jones isn't a one and done player. It just sounds like the nonsense that Harrison Barnes also spouted about the importance of his education. What a load of sh-t that turned out to be.

I know Barnes didn't graduate, but he wasn't one and done.

Yep. He's an intelligent kid. If he is a high lottery pick, he is smart enough to know to cash in.

I am glad you know your proper place Golden13.......let me know if you need help when you think about jumping off the bridge. As I recall you were also the biggest Maturi and Tubby supporters when all the "insiders" knew these guys were both mediocre at best..... ....It hurts when "insiders" are correct all along isn't it............

I actually get what you're saying but the wording is off.

You're essentially saying that we are going to recruit a 3star type of PG regardless of what happens with Tyus. I think all of us agree with that and realize that is a must regardless of what happens.

However, people facepalm at the idea of Tyus not being Plan A. I guess that depends upon what you consider Plan A to be. Our central focus is Tyus (and the Big 3). The other PG is insurance and a need.

I am glad you know your proper place Golden13.......let me know if you need help when you think about jumping off the bridge. As I recall you were also the biggest Maturi and Tubby supporters when all the "insiders" knew these guys were both mediocre at best..... ....It hurts when "insiders" are correct all along isn't it............

You must not understand sarcasm. m2s: It's common knowledge on this board that Pitino is recruiting PG's not named Jones. You're not bringing any sort of insider knowledge to the conversation, even if you think you are.

Top 10 players could care less who is on a current college team...see Kentucky. If we got a 3 star pg to run the team for next year, that would influence a blue chip guy like Tyus zilch. He knows he would start. Look at Craft, still got Scott. Just look around. All the top 10 guys go where they want, it doesn't matter who is there. They all belive they will start. The only issue is Kentucky as they will have 10 guys who are all top 20 guys who all think they should start.

Just so you know, no one is disagreeing with the idea that we should be recruiting another point guard "not named Jones." We're disagreeing with the idea that Tyus is option B. You're saying, whether intentional or not, that we should want a 3* MORE than we want Tyus (i.e. if Tyus wants to commit, but there is also a 3* that wants to commit, we should take the 3* first). That is an insane idea. No logic whatsoever. I hope for your sake that you are just doing a poor job of communicating what you actually think.

Hartman: Pitino jumps into recruiting Apple Valley star Jones

“I think they made a good hire,” said Debbie, who has been involved in the recruiting of her son, one of the best players ever developed in this area. “They got a guy who seems to know basketball. He’s very energetic and eager to get going.”

She pointed out that having a coach such as Rick Pitino of national champion Louisville for a father had to give his son a big advantage in learning the game.

“I think good bloodlines, obviously. I think that helps him,” Debbie said. “[Richard Pitino] just seems like obviously he has been around the game a long time already with his father and everything, so he has a lot of knowledge and a lot of energy. It’ll be a lot of fun. I think Minnesota picked a good choice.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/202630371.html

Go Gophers!!

Yep. He's an intelligent kid. If he is a high lottery pick, he is smart enough to know to cash in.

I agree Bob, it doesn't matter if he gets his degree in 4 years. If the worst case scenario is that you are a high lottery pick and end up being a bust, Tyus is living pretty well. you can always go back to college and earn your degree with a couple of million bucks in your back pocket.

I can't see how anyone could work through all the variables in advance and predict that Tyus will be one and done. Assuming he is willing to pay for his blue jeans and avoid a Royce-type debacle, leaving after one season would only occur if he has performed well and elevated the program. In any case, the sheer notoriety of landing him by beating out the other programs who are after him would be a huge advertising plus for the program. Every top recruit thinks he can be one and done; landing somebody with the potential to do it here is actually a good thing in terms of exposure to the other top-level recruits who are coming down the pike. Plus, unlike the last one and done, Tyus would inevitably have an assist before he leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom