Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calipari's history of getting PG's into the NBA, style of play, overall at that position I just think Kentucky would be the best.

Calipari's history of getting PGs to the NBA is entirely related to his ability to get the very best PGs to sign with Kentucky. If Tyus is good enough (and he is) to play in the NBA - he will do so out of any college he plays for- including the U of M.

Tyus Jones is so on everybody's radar that the idea that he will get more "exposure" or whatever by going Kentucky or Duke or whatever is silly. He could go to Northern Iowa and he would not be outtasight outtamind. He certainly could go to Minnesota and be every bit as much on the draft radar in a year or two as if he went anywhere else. In this case, he is the brand, the school will just be along for the ride. Obviously for kids who are not on the radar it matters a lot, just like it matters whether you play for Swanville or Hopkins. But for Tyus, it's really all on him. Whatever he does in college, the powers that be will know about it and he will be rewarded appropriately whether it's Kentucky or Northern Iowa.

The question of where he'll get the best training is a different question, and I agree that Kentucky would provide a darn good training ground. Anywhere in the Big 10 could not be bad, however.

Calipari's history of getting PGs to the NBA is entirely related to his ability to get the very best PGs to sign with Kentucky. If Tyus is good enough (and he is) to play in the NBA - he will do so out of any college he plays for- including the U of M.

When I agree with BGA I have to make mention of it. I 100 % agree.

True, he is going to be in the NBA either way, look at Royce White though, he got on run in the NCAA tournamnt and wound up in the top 20, if he had gone to Kentucky might he have been a lottery pick, with Jones it could be the diffence between being in the top 5 or just being a first round draft pick, Johnny Flynn from Syracuse got drafted #5 based on a late season run even though he didn't have that kind of talent, might not get that chance at some places.

True, he is going to be in the NBA either way, look at Royce White though, he got on run in the NCAA tournamnt and wound up in the top 20, if he had gone to Kentucky might he have been a lottery pick, with Jones it could be the diffence between being in the top 5 or just being a first round draft pick, Johnny Flynn from Syracuse got drafted #5 based on a late season run even though he didn't have that kind of talent, might not get that chance at some places.

And yet Seth Curry is currently projected at the bottom of the second round and he went to Duke.

I do see your overall point, but there are examples going all ways. Highly rated guys going to both high level, mid level, and low level schools and having varying levels of draft position.

Or he may have been buried on the bench and gone undrafted? Not only does being "the guy" on a team offer more potential exposure but it gives a player more opportunity to develop his skill set and progress further as a ballplayer (see Wolters, Nate)

WCCO: Tyus Jones: Gophers ‘Still On My List’

“They’re still where they were before,” Jones said. “It’s a good hire though, for them. Coach Pitino seems like a good fit for them. He’s been around the game of basketball a long time, his dad’s in the Hall of Fame now, so you know he’s been around the game and he knows the game of basketball. So I think it was a good hire for them.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/04/09/tyus-jones-gophers-still-on-my-list/

Go Gophers!!

WCCO: Tyus Jones: Gophers ‘Still On My List’

“They’re still where they were before,” Jones said. “It’s a good hire though, for them. Coach Pitino seems like a good fit for them. He’s been around the game of basketball a long time, his dad’s in the Hall of Fame now, so you know he’s been around the game and he knows the game of basketball. So I think it was a good hire for them.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/04/09/tyus-jones-gophers-still-on-my-list/

Go Gophers!!

...for them,.... For them,... For them...

Is that a bad sign?

Thought the same thing. He doesn't sound like he's in a hurry to associate himself with us.

When I read this article it was painfully obvious that he is not too high on the Gophers. However, there are two ways to approach this.. The glass half empy view would be that he is not overly interested in Minnesota and we have little shot. Move on Coach P.

I however choose the glass half full view. Perhaps he was not too high on the Gophers with Tubby and we had zero chance while Tubby was coach. Ask him today, all he knows is his recruitment to date.. Tyus cannot make comments about something he doesn't know yet.. So perhaps Coach P can build excitement, locally and with the Tyus camp, once they get to know Coach P. Therefore, I think our chances today are better than they were two weeks ago. Are they great, probably not, but they are better and stranger things have happened.

I agree our chances are better than they were a couple of weeks ago but that doesn't mean he's going to end up in maroon and gold. I've pretty much accepted that he won't be staying home, there are a lot of good PGs out there and Pitino will get one and maybe he'll even stick around for 2 or 3 years.

...for them,.... For them,... For them...

Is that a bad sign?

Watch the story, he said something along the lines that he would delay his announcement if thinks he needs more time with Coach Pitino to make his decision.

Watch the story, he said something along the lines that he would delay his announcement if thinks he needs more time with Coach Pitino to make his decision.

Yeah, the fact that he even said that tells me he's curious about it. Frankly, we're one of like 7 or 8 schools, and the sole reason we're even in the mix is cause we're the home school. If Pitino can tap into something and get things off and running quickly, there might be a chance it could sway him. But he's so far behind, and with his little experience, it's probably gonna be pretty hard for Tyus to pull the trigger and make that choice without a season under his belt here. If this stretches into spring signing period, I think we'll know we're in the mix pretty good. If he announces he'll make a decision pretty early, that's probably a wrap.

Doogie tweeted that Richard Pitino will be in Tyus' living room "very soon", but not tomorrow night because coach K will be there.

Doogie tweeted that Richard Pitino will be in Tyus' living room "very soon", but not tomorrow night because coach K will be there.

Coach Kill is going to be in his living room tomorrow night?

"Tyus, if you ain't got swagger in your ass! you ain't human!"

If Royce went to Kentucky maybe he doesn't even go in the first round. Not sure if Calipari would have ran the offense through him at a point forward like Iowa State did.

On the surface, I hope Jones comes to the U. However, if he is really a one and done guy, it might be better for him if he selected a different school. Minnesota is going to be in rebuilding mode in 2014. One could also argue that the U of M might be better off as a program with a solid "3 star" point guard who Pitino and staff can groom and develop into a NBA talent. A Player who can grow with the program. Do we really want to build a program on "one and done" talent? If we can consistently reload every year like Kentucky, that might be a good strategy. However, in our case maybe we do not want these types of players? Possibly our expectations should be to field a competitive team each year with the expectations of a B1G Title and a long NCAA run every 3rd or 4th year... We need to keep our expectations in check when we think about having Jones on this team. We may need to be careful what we wish for here. I am just taking another point of view.

On the surface, I hope Jones comes to the U. However, if he is really a one and done guy, it might be better for him if he selected a different school. Minnesota is going to be in rebuilding mode in 2014. One could also argue that the U of M might be better off as a program with a solid "3 star" point guard who Pitino and staff can groom and develop into a NBA talent. A Player who can grow with the program. Do we really want to build a program on "one and done" talent? If we can consistently reload every year like Kentucky, that might be a good strategy. However, in our case maybe we do not want these types of players? Possibly our expectations should be to field a competitive team each year with the expectations of a B1G Title and a long NCAA run every 3rd or 4th year... We need to keep our expectations in check when we think about having Jones on this team. We may need to be careful what we wish for here. I am just taking another point of view.

If somehow we ever got Jones, Vaughn, and Travis to go with current players- 2014 wouldn't be a rebuilding year- it would be a reloading year.

Your point makes sense and in general having guys who stick around and develp is better than relying on one and done guys. Having said that though if you can get any of the big 3 you take them in a heartbeat. When there is elite talent right in your backyard you want those players even if they are only around for one year. Basketball is a sport where a copule of elite talents can transform an average or good team into a great one over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom