Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only seen Tyus play in away games and in AAU. Anyone with experience know how far ahead of time you would have to go to the game tonight in order to ensure a ticket and a place to sit?

Probably an hour or so.

Tubby is at the Apple Valley-Hopkins game tonight. Unfortunately won't get to see a lot of Tyus. He left the game with an ankle injury (at least that's what it looked like) in the first few minutes.

Tubby is at the Apple Valley-Hopkins game tonight. Unfortunately won't get to see a lot of Tyus. He left the game with an ankle injury (at least that's what it looked like) in the first few minutes.

@jclong Apple Valley has cut into Hopkins' lead. Royals up just 4 at 51-47 with 8:00 to go. Tyus Jones in street clothes on AV bench since half.

I know a lot of people that circled this one on their calendar and attended.

@MSHSLjohn Final score in 4A boys basketball: #3 Apple Valley beats #6 Hopkins 73-64

I was there too. It'll be interesting to hear what the injury ends up being. Tyus fell awkwardly early in the first half but continued to play a minute or so longer. We thought it might be a knee but it didn't seem serious.

Amir Coffey looked pretty good for Hopkins. Not bad at all for a 9th grader. Nice range. He's tall and long but thin. If he fills out like his father over the next few years he'll be a nice looking player.

Amir Coffey looked pretty good for Hopkins. Not bad at all for a 9th grader. Nice range. He's tall and long but thin. If he fills out like his father over the next few years he'll be a nice looking player.

Considering his father was 25 when he came played for the Gophers it will take more than a few years. They don't have the same build, but he can fill out some.

I was there too. It'll be interesting to hear what the injury ends up being. Tyus fell awkwardly early in the first half but continued to play a minute or so longer. We thought it might be a knee but it didn't seem serious.

tyus told twitterers it was a back thing.

I heard back spasms as well. Great comeback by AV. Down 16 with your best player out and they came back to beat Hopkins.

I heard back spasms as well. Great comeback by AV. Down 16 with your best player out and they came back to beat Hopkins.

Hmmmmm...back problems already on a High School kid...pull his offer!! :)

Not really

Richard Coffey was a fan favorite for the Gophers, who averaged 8.2 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. He was nicknamed “The Paratrooper” for his stint with the U.S. Army’s 82nd Airborne Division and did not join the Gophers until he was 25.

Gopher Hole: He was more of a physical player, but maybe not as skilled as you are. Is that something he tried to work with you on?

Amir Coffey: He works with me on my skills all the time and he says that he knows that I am not going to be as physical as him, so he wants to work on my jump shot and my dribbling and the skill stuff.

Bertram

anyone know how the Big AV freshman did?

I thought the freshman (Bertram) looked pretty good, can't believe he's that young. Seems to move pretty well for that big of a frame.

For what it's worth to the poster who asked how early one needs to get to an AV game, I got to the AVHS about 20 minutes before tap and got in no problem. Parking was an issue so plan ahead, especially if there is also a hockey game going on.

Not really

Richard Coffey was a fan favorite for the Gophers, who averaged 8.2 points and 8.3 rebounds per game. He was nicknamed “The Paratrooper” for his stint with the U.S. Army’s 82nd Airborne Division and did not join the Gophers until he was 25.

Gopher Hole: He was more of a physical player, but maybe not as skilled as you are. Is that something he tried to work with you on?

Amir Coffey: He works with me on my skills all the time and he says that he knows that I am not going to be as physical as him, so he wants to work on my jump shot and my dribbling and the skill stuff.

I had forgotten about Coffey's Airborne experience....and totally forgotten about him being that old when he joined. I'd like to read more about him. Any links or sources?

I thought the freshman (Bertram) looked pretty good, can't believe he's that young. Seems to move pretty well for that big of a frame.

For what it's worth to the poster who asked how early one needs to get to an AV game, I got to the AVHS about 20 minutes before tap and got in no problem. Parking was an issue so plan ahead, especially if there is also a hockey game going on.

Thank you.

It's hard not to like the Sonie kid and also Fronk as high school basketball players. Those two guys don't have any quit in them. Credit to AV coach Goring also. They could have just as easily packed it in after Jones was injured. (I didn't see Tubby there. Where was he sitting?)

Tubby

It's hard not to like the Sonie kid and also Fronk as high school basketball players. Those two guys don't have any quit in them. Credit to AV coach Goring also. They could have just as easily packed it in after Jones was injured. (I didn't see Tubby there. Where was he sitting?)

Tubby sat in the corner behind the AV bench, a few rows up. Ron Jirsa was with him. I did not notice any other DI coaches but saw a few familiar MIAC faces.

Joe Coleman was also at the game.

I also saw the game, a long drive for 6 ineffective minutes of Tyus. They say his back has been hurting for a month or so and he was totally ineffective while on the floor. I thought it very interesting that AV had him off the ball, Dustin Fronk taking the ball-handling duties. I assuming this was a strategy to get Tyus more room to move, but now it looks like a strategy to lighten the load on his back, literally.

Fronk was the best player on the court, 27 pts in all.

Bertram looked good, not as good as Ian Theissen at that age. But mobility is OK, strong for his age, not afraid to mix it up, not always in the right place, but no obvious negatives. I'm not saying he's a BCS prospect and I'm not saying he's not. I guess I'm saying let's wait and see. But I do like Theissen better and I know you can get into a good debate about what Theissen's proper level will end up being. I certainly think D1.A guy like Mike Broghammer might be a better model.

Would be in poor form to start Tyus is crippled rumors to get certain coaches to look elsewhere? hypothetically of course.

Few other thoughts,

1. Tyus is much more of a physical presence, much thicker than last year. I hope that is not what has caused the back issues.

2. Great atmosphere at the game, both school's crowds were into it. Hopkins was pretty cocky as they built a lead, AV threw it right in their faces during the comeback. I've been to 4 Gopher games this year and none have been as near as exciting.

3. Awesome chocolate chip cookies, if you go to a game stop at the concession stand. Mine were hot right out of the oven. Also for $3 you can get a hot dog, chips and soda.

Few other thoughts,

1. Tyus is much more of a physical presence, much thicker than last year. I hope that is not what has caused the back issues.

2. Great atmosphere at the game, both school's crowds were into it. Hopkins was pretty cocky as they built a lead, AV threw it right in their faces during the comeback. I've been to 4 Gopher games this year and none have been as near as exciting.

3. Awesome chocolate chip cookies, if you go to a game stop at the concession stand. Mine were hot right out of the oven. Also for $3 you can get a hot dog, chips and soda.

I'm rarely impressed with high school chants, but the Apple Valley crowd had a great one at the end of the game. The Hopkins kids were chanting,"You need Tyus" early on when they built a substantial lead. Of course, Hopkins blew the lead and the game, so the Apple Valley kids threw it back in their face and chanted, "You need Tyus" as the dejected Hopkins students were getting ready to leave.

I'm rarely impressed with high school chants, but the Apple Valley crowd had a great one at the end of the game. The Hopkins kids were chanting,"You need Tyus" early on when they built a substantial lead. Of course, Hopkins blew the lead and the game, so the Apple Valley kids threw it back in their face and chanted, "You need Tyus" as the dejected Hopkins students were getting ready to leave.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Were there any Barnyard scouts at the game?
Sign'em up!

He was actually 21 when he joined the Gophers.

Do not count on Tyus playing . His back has been getting worse despite seeing a doctor and skipping practice. Could be awhile before he will be 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom