Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto.

From a very unreliable source... One of my son's good friends plays hoops at Apple Valley. This came up and I asked him about it and the Gophers chances. He laughed like he couldn't believe I was serious and he said, the dude is going to Duke, wouldn't you?
No, I would play for the Gophers of course, but I'm old school. I hope you socked that kid (just kidding).

That's probably a pretty good indication of where we're at. I'd say a teammate scoffing at Tyus going to the U is a fairly good indication that Tubby should put more time into Rashad.

Tubby obviously has his work cut out. Check out a student section some time at a high school game and look at the shirts they're wearing. Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, etc. The only Gopher attire is usually on some old guy. Those schools, for good reason basketball wise, are cool to the kids. I imagine the U right now, is kind of a "settle for" school. I'm with the posters who say a deep run this year will be huge on the recruiting.

Are we really that worried about someones son who is plays hoops at Apple Valley saying where Tyus is going? I am pretty sure that kid isn't Tyus nor has Tyus told him where he is going. Just because he is on JV at Apple Valley doesn't mean he knows anything. Interesting post though.

I sat near Tyus' family once and one of them was eating peanuts at a game. Who eats nuts? Not Blue Devils...GOPHERS!

Ditto.

From a very unreliable source... One of my son's good friends plays hoops at Apple Valley. This came up and I asked him about it and the Gophers chances. He laughed like he couldn't believe I was serious and he said, the dude is going to Duke, wouldn't you?

No. I'd stay here, be a star, and lead my team to the final four. But if I were a star PG and made up my mind to go out of state, I'd easily choose UNC over Duke. Or I'd choose Kansas, which is just as good, has more history, and is a closer drive for my family. I'd also consider Kentucky to be more prestigious than Duke in bb and better equipped to get me to the pro's, though I'd have a hard time agreeing to play for Calipari.

Are we really that worried about someones son who is plays hoops at Apple Valley saying where Tyus is going? I am pretty sure that kid isn't Tyus nor has Tyus told him where he is going. Just because he is on JV at Apple Valley doesn't mean he knows anything. Interesting post though.

I sat near Tyus' family once and one of them was eating peanuts at a game. Who eats nuts? Not Blue Devils...GOPHERS!

Again, I said "unreliable" but it was the response from a kid that plays with him. So take it for what's its worth. No, I doubt very much the two of them have had deep conversations about his college plans though. That said, I have believed all along that is where he will end up. Our only chance would be if he decided he really wanted to stay home for friends and family.

I just think people are getting their hopes up too high for this kid. Best we can do is have a good year and see what the kid decides.

Exactly. Tyus very well may choose Duke, but that kid has no idea what he's talking about. Just because you go to the same school doesn't give you any extra knowledge. Lot of people seem to think it does though.

Exactly. Tyus very well may choose Duke, but that kid has no idea what he's talking about. Just because you go to the same school doesn't give you any extra knowledge. Lot of people seem to think it does though.

How doesn't it? You don't think a teammate knows anything? Of course he does... You don't think anyone on the team has ever asked him how his visit to Duke went? Those guys know way more than any reporter because they are genuinely interested. Reporters are not genuine and likely the reason that he hardly says anything to them. Same with Vaughn.

I want him to come here as much ad the next guy, but he's as good as gone unless something drastic happens. He wants to go to Duke. Everything we've heard tells us that. At some point everyone has to stop calling BS on everything linking him to Duke and accept it. Just be glad it's not Kentucky or the Big Ten. This is the 2nd best outcome for us. Time to go after Vaughn and Travis.

How doesn't it? You don't think a teammate knows anything? Of course he does... You don't think anyone on the team has ever asked him how his visit to Duke went? Those guys know way more than any reporter because they are genuinely interested. Reporters are not genuine and likely the reason that he hardly says anything to them. Same with Vaughn.

I want him to come here as much ad the next guy, but he's as good as gone unless something drastic happens. He wants to go to Duke. Everything we've heard tells us that. At some point everyone has to stop calling BS on everything linking him to Duke and accept it. Just be glad it's not Kentucky or the Big Ten. This is the 2nd best outcome for us. Time to go after Vaughn and Travis.

If they have conversations with Tyus that can give them more knowledge. Just merely going to school together doesn't. That's all I'm saying. if I had a dollar for every person who "knew" so-and-so wasn't going to a certain school because they talked to somoene who went to the same school I'd be rich (or like 5 or 6 dollars richer). I was specifically told by someone that Royce was going to MSU and Rodney was going to UNC. I was told this by a person who knew a mutual friend with them so they "knew what they were talking about." It wasn't a maybe by the way, it was a "for sure." How did that turn out? Also for the record, my best friend play D1 basketball. I thought he was going to one school. He went to a different one. I take things seriously when I hear it directly from the source. Not a friend or someone who goes to school with them.

I would rather he goes to Kentucky, I have never had pure hatred for any player from Kentucky while duke has 3-4 every year that drives me up the wall

If he was so sure he's gonna go to Duke, why not just commit now? .... Tyus doesn't even know yet for sure.

If they have conversations with Tyus that can give them more knowledge. Just merely going to school together doesn't. That's all I'm saying. if I had a dollar for every person who "knew" so-and-so wasn't going to a certain school because they talked to somoene who went to the same school I'd be rich (or like 5 or 6 dollars richer). I was specifically told by someone that Royce was going to MSU and Rodney was going to UNC. I was told this by a person who knew a mutual friend with them so they "knew what they were talking about." It wasn't a maybe by the way, it was a "for sure." How did that turn out? Also for the record, my best friend play D1 basketball. I thought he was going to one school. He went to a different one. I take things seriously when I hear it directly from the source. Not a friend or someone who goes to school with them.

I'll say you are both right and move along. I didn't want to give the impression I have the scoop. I just know a "teammate" and that was his response to my question. That was all. Yes, I think a kid that spends hours and hours with him may have an idea what he's thinking, but I also agree that it is probably a year away and Tyus probably doesn't know yet for sure either.

I am done now, carry on.

I agree...I used to hope he would stay home...but gut feeling says no way. Focus on Vaughn and others. I'm sure Tubby has a pretty good idea that he's not coming here.

Ditto.

From an very very unreliable source, I heard that Tyus Jones is going to train in eletronics at ITT Technical Institute. :pig:

Ditto.

And yes I hate to kill the messenger, but seriously, if it's "very unreliable," don't bother even posting.

Observations from last game: Wojo Coach K and Capel sat in the back, walked out as the game ended. Wojo gave a smile and a wave to Tyus's mom, who was delighted. Bill Self on the other hand hung out a long time after the game and really chummed it up all over. He has way more personality than I thought. I believe he got a big hug from Tyus mom and he spoke with Tyus's brother at length.

He's 16 years old, nothing is certain. Long way to go on Tyus. I'd bet on Duke but you never know. He was 20/22 at the line for 36 pts in the win, so he must be all the work these CBB luminaries are doing on him.

Sure hope he ends up as a Gopher. He could go down as 1 of the programs greatest players ever!

He (and Vaughn) has a state full of people yearning to rally around him if he goes to the U. They pack his gym every single night. That can't be said about another school recruiting him. Great new AD, Hall of fame coach, MN HS basketball more popular than ever.....This state is dying for a player like him/Vaughn to rally around. Light the torch.

Those 2 recruits would Secure Minnesota dominance for the next 4-5 years, They have to make their state proud!

We were sitting around at lunch the other day discussing what you would say to Tyus and also Vaughn to get them to play for the Gophers if we were Tubby and staff. We came up with:

1. Harp on the fact that on the day they commit to the Gophers, they would be forever beloved in the state by Gopher fans. Instant legends without even playing a game.

2. Showcase their talents by taking a good program and making it elite in one season. The 3 guard backcourt of Tyus, Rashad and Andre would be one of, if not the best in the country.

3. Offer to pre-retire each of their numbers. Hang the jerseys in the rafters while they are physically playing on the court. I'm sure that has never happened before, and I'm sure that would get their attention. (and I'm sure it would never in a million years happen; we were just getting a laugh out of what it might take to stick out vs. Duke and the likes)

We were sitting around at lunch the other day discussing what you would say to Tyus and also Vaughn to get them to play for the Gophers if we were Tubby and staff. We came up with:

1. Harp on the fact that on the day they commit to the Gophers, they would be forever beloved in the state by Gopher fans. Instant legends without even playing a game.

2. Showcase their talents by taking a good program and making it elite in one season. The 3 guard backcourt of Tyus, Rashad and Andre would be one of, if not the best in the country.

3. Offer to pre-retire each of their numbers. Hang the jerseys in the rafters while they are physically playing on the court. I'm sure that has never happened before, and I'm sure that would get their attention. (and I'm sure it would never in a million years happen; we were just getting a laugh out of what it might take to stick out vs. Duke and the likes)

I would also emphasize the fact that Indiana went from being a bad team to #1 in the country in a very short period of time simply because their big-time, local talent decided to stay home. Minnesota is already a good team. There is no reason that Tyus, Rashad, and Reid couldn't instantly make the Gophers a top 5 team.

I would also emphasize the fact that Indiana went from being a bad team to #1 in the country in a very short period of time simply because their big-time, local talent decided to stay home. Minnesota is already a good team. There is no reason that Tyus, Rashad, and Reid couldn't instantly make the Gophers a top 5 team.

+1

No question. Also have to remember, despite people trying to discredit it, we have a National Championship winning coach in Tubby Smith. If we could put together a string of top 25 teams, perception around this program could change quickly on a national level.

I'm starting to think that Tyus Jones will wind up being the next Freddie Adu...Awesome prospect at 14 but eventually, more athletic, bigger and faster players will surpass him.

I'm more worried about getting Vaughn and Travis.

I'm starting to think that Tyus Jones will wind up being the next Freddie Adu...Awesome prospect at 14 but eventually, more athletic, bigger and faster players will surpass him.

You will likely get plenty ripped for that, but I won't shut it down completely. I think you may be off here, but we've seen that story happen before so it's not like it can't happen here. But Tyus is already a junior and he looks as good as ever, I don't think he's progressing down that track.

Tyus already outplays bigger, faster players on a regular basis.

The same was said about Ricky Rubio. Teenage phenom, but didn't show anything in the Euro league, etc. Tyus actually reminds me a lot of Rubio, doesn't necessarily pass the eye test but when he gets the ball in his hands he is dynamite.

per Doogie: Tubby Smith is expected at Apple Valley HS tonight (Tyus Jones) for its game vs. Hopkins. UNC may have an assistant there too. #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

I've only seen Tyus play in away games and in AAU. Anyone with experience know how far ahead of time you would have to go to the game tonight in order to ensure a ticket and a place to sit?

I've only seen Tyus play in away games and in AAU. Anyone with experience know how far ahead of time you would have to go to the game tonight in order to ensure a ticket and a place to sit?

he plays at target Center in a couple of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom