Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I present this question to Gopher BB Fans: If Tyus Jones becomes a Gopher, will you buy a season ticket?

Yes. Yes. Yes. I don't even live in MN and I will buy a season ticket if he commits!

FSN: Jones a valuable college-recruiting commodity

From the article:

Hope for the hometown team?

With his college choices whittled down to eight schools, the recruiting process will take a different approach during Jones' junior season. He said he doesn't currently have any plans to pare that list down even more. In fact, he's not sure whether he'll do so at all before making his final decision.

Then there's the question of how he'll announce it. Perhaps on Twitter, like he did with his eight finalists? Or maybe during a hyped TV appearance, which seems to be the way so many top recruits do it these days?

"I don't know yet," he said. "I'm just kind of focusing on the main process."

When that time does come, there will be plenty of basketball fans in the Land of 10,000 Lakes waiting with bated breath, hoping Jones decides to stay home. Many will look at his list of his eight finalists and say that Minnesota doesn't belong with the other seven. The Golden Gophers haven't made the NCAA Tournament the past two years and haven't been to the Final Four since 1997 — when Jones was just one year old.

Gophers fans would love for Jones to stay in-state and help Smith's squad perhaps reach national relevance yet again. Most also take that approach with the belief that Jones will leave for the greener pastures of a more established program.

But Jones said there's a reason the Gophers were among the eight teams to make the cut.

"If I wasn't strongly considering them, they wouldn't be one of my final eight," he said. "They're definitely a school I'm looking into, (my) hometown school. I grew up here watching them. It's definitely a school that I'm strongly considering."

Jones is a Minnesotan through and through. He grew up in Apple Valley, playing in the city's youth basketball leagues before reinvigorating the basketball program at a high school known best for routinely winning state titles in wrestling. Jones watched the Gophers from a young age and has already been spotted at a game at Williams Arena this season.

In the end, Jones will have a tough decision to make, one that he'll make by weighing more than just each school's basketball program. Academics are among the top priorities, he said. But of course, he'll be looking for the team and the coach that best fits his needs as a basketball player.

Regardless of any pressure he might feel from those in the state of Minnesota, Jones knows the decision is his and his alone.

"I've got eight very good schools," he said. "That's why it's kind of like wherever I end up choosing to play college basketball, I'll be happy with it because I've got eight very good schools I'm considering. You can't really go wrong with any one of those."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/11/29...nding_gophers.html?blockID=827405&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

"If I wasn't strongly considering them, they wouldn't be one of my final eight", said Jones about EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL in his final eight.

" (my) hometown school. I grew up here watching them. "

Oh oh, that can't be good.

Am I alone in simply not being overly impressed by Jones? He's a nice player, advanced on the Hoops IQ side of things...Looks like a nice, fundamental player...But does he have the athleticism to take people off the dribble and explode? I don't see it any of the videos I've seen...Maybe I'm alone in not seeing it. Maybe he's John Stockton...I guess we'll see.

Am I alone in simply not being overly impressed by Jones? He's a nice player, advanced on the Hoops IQ side of things...Looks like a nice, fundamental player...But does he have the athleticism to take people off the dribble and explode? I don't see it any of the videos I've seen...Maybe I'm alone in not seeing it. Maybe he's John Stockton...I guess we'll see.

Tyus is one of the few players whose highlight videos simply do not do him justice. He absolutely is an elite talent and you need to see him play in person to fully understand that. He dismantles even the most athletic teams and makes it look easy.

Today's article mentions that Tyus could bring the Gophers back to national relevance.

I'm pretty sure they're nationally relevant as I'm typing this. Do you have to be top 10 to be relevant?

Today's article mentions that Tyus could bring the Gophers back to national relevance.

I'm pretty sure they're nationally relevant as I'm typing this. Do you have to be top 10 to be relevant?

I noticed that too. Found that to be a little weird...but the article does refer to a final four appearance, so maybe that's the standard?

Anyways, I was expecting the article to go in the direction of a potential national championship contender.

I guess it all depends on your definition of nationally relevant. I'm guessing if you asked people around the country who some of the better college basketball teams are, the Gophers wouldn't come up much outside of the Midwest.

Tyus is one of the few players whose highlight videos simply do not do him justice. He absolutely is an elite talent and you need to see him play in person to fully understand that. He dismantles even the most athletic teams and makes it look easy.

I watched him play a couple of games in a holiday tournament in St. Cloud last year and the game against ROCORI was the most amazing performance I've ever seen. His teammates are not good at all and he just gave them easy lay up after easy lay up and really didn't look to score but for a three minute stretch where he had about 15 points. He is special.

Badger Tyler Mason said:
The Golden Gophers haven't made the NCAA Tournament the past two years and have <strike>n't</strike> never been to the Final Four <strike>since 1997</strike>

Just fixing that for Mason.

I'm surprised that Badger Tyler is so eager to give us credit for a Final Four that we don't have.

I guess it all depends on your definition of nationally relevant. I'm guessing if you asked people around the country who some of the better college basketball teams are, the Gophers wouldn't come up much outside of the Midwest.

Right, with the likes of Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio State. I don't anyone gives the Gophers a second thought. Even in the Midwest.

His teamates are good, Fronk has a D2 offer therefore a top senior 2 others were rated by NorthStar Hoops as better players in their class.

I wasn't fully convinced either until I saw him in person at Peach Jam this summer. He is deceptively athletic and is so fundamentally sound that it makes up for any other deficiencies. Surprisingly large hands, which allows him to handle well against ball pressure. He was his best against the quicker and more athletic teams that tried to overplay and pressure him, as he was able to find the open man or back door an opposing defender for easy scores. He runs the pick and roll better than anyone I've ever seen at this level and is an above average shooter from long range. Averaged 26 pts/7asts for entire tourney. I was completely sold when he dominated one of the top 2013 PGs in Tyler Ennis (Syracuse commit) in their head to head matchup. Ennis is bigger and stronger, which I thought would give Tyus some trouble. All in all, he's the real deal and will be program changer the minute he hits a college campus.

I wasn't fully convinced either until I saw him in person at Peach Jam this summer. He is deceptively athletic and is so fundamentally sound that it makes up for any other deficiencies. Surprisingly large hands, which allows him to handle well against ball pressure. He was his best against the quicker and more athletic teams that tried to overplay and pressure him, as he was able to find the open man or back door an opposing defender for easy scores. He runs the pick and roll better than anyone I've ever seen at this level and is an above average shooter from long range. Averaged 26 pts/7asts for entire tourney. I was completely sold when he dominated one of the top 2013 PGs in Tyler Ennis (Syracuse commit) in their head to head matchup. Ennis is bigger and stronger, which I thought would give Tyus some trouble. All in all, he's the real deal and will be program changer the minute he hits a college campus.

PG's are rarely as good on tape or on the stat sheet.

Rondo, Steve Nash, Rubio are all guys you need to actually watch play to see how good they truly are. There is so much more to what these guys do than just the stat sheet. People who watch Andre this year are starting to see that a bit with him too. Hockey assists as many like to call them can't be overstated. The very presence some PG's have is huge for their team. Knowing the speed to play at, setting up the offense. Reading the defense. Spacing the floor correctly. Getting guys in the right positions to exploit the defense. There is a reason basketball is so great to watch if you can pay attention to little things like these on the court an how they lead to the big plays, instead of just the big play itself. All the things you can't see with basic stats.

This was posted on the 29th by Tre Jones(Tyus Jones little brother) to rodney williams on Twitter, just seeing it now

@Will_I_Ams_33 Congrats on the start of the season.. the one-on-one sessions are paying off..!! pic.twitter.com/Ts2iJt7g

along with this pic, which is the link above
A867qa4CYAAGJ0-.jpg

Looks like the Jones have a good relationship with the gopher team, which is nice to see, Don't know how much it will help, but having your family liking a program has to be important to some degree

This was posted on the 29th by Tre Jones(Tyus Jones little brother) to rodney williams on Twitter, just seeing it now

along with this pic, which is the link above
A867qa4CYAAGJ0-.jpg:large

Looks like the Jones have a good relationship with the gopher team, which is nice to see, Don't know how much it will help, but having your family liking a program has to be important to some degree

Certainly can't hurt. If the team keeps winning I'd imagine they will like the Gophers that much more. Stating the obvious, but this is an extremely important season.

I think we're forgetting that Tre Jones himself will probably be a Minnesota target soon. He looks to be almost as good as his brother and plays 2 years up. He is a huge Minnesota fan.

I think we're forgetting that Tre Jones himself will probably be a Minnesota target soon. He looks to be almost as good as his brother and plays 2 years up. He is a huge Minnesota fan.

I've heard this before and am in no way doubting it, but what evidence do we have that this is true? Clearly he seems to be a fan of Rodney, but have there been other things that have lead people to believe this? Just curious as anything more concrete than just repeating what others have said would make me feel a little more confident about his and Tyus' recruitment.

I haven't heard much about Tre and how good he is in basketball myself, but I would like to know how good he actually is, anyone have any info on him? seen him play? or better yet have highlight video?(doubt that exists for a 7th grader) I do know Tyus started Varsity as a 8th grader, and I think Tre is a 7th grader currently, I mean he could end up being a good player, but I doubt he will be number 1 in nation good like his brother, but this opinion is going off nothing but odds since I have never seen Tre play, hope he turns out to be good and plays for the gophers, after his brother becomes a legend for the program

I haven't heard much about Tre and how good he is in basketball myself, but I would like to know how good he actually is, anyone have any info on him? seen him play? or better yet have highlight video?(doubt that exists for a 7th grader) I do know Tyus started Varsity as a 8th grader, and I think Tre is a 7th grader currently, I mean he could end up being a good player, but I doubt he will be number 1 in nation good like his brother, but this opinion is going off nothing but odds since I have never seen Tre play, hope he turns out to be good and plays for the gophers, after his brother becomes a legend for the program

I didn't even know Tyus had a brother until reading this thread tonight. Unfortunately there are highlights of his brother. SMH. I feel so pathetic watching highlights of a middle school kid.

Because when I think Minnesota Middle School Basketball, I think "Ballers Swag Elite".

But I like how all of the highlights in the video are cut short as I imagine just about all of those layups are misses.

These are the kinds of videos college football coaches get arrested for.

Too soon?

I don't know what the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# I'm doing with my life watching middle school basketball highlights at 2 in the morning but kid is pretty nice for his age.

I don't know what the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# I'm doing with my life watching middle school basketball highlights at 2 in the morning but kid is pretty nice for his age.

ha, great post, and we're all so there with you!!

STrib Boys' basketball preview: Five story lines

1 NOTHING BUT THE BEST

Minnesota's most hyped class finally has matured into junior leadership. The nation's top recruit from the 2014 class, Tyus Jones, has pushed Apple Valley to the top of the rankings. DeLaSalle's Reid Travis should keep the Islanders on track for back-to-back Class 3A championships. And Cooper's Rashad Vaughn will lead the Hawks' effort to surprise some opponents.

The trio is rated among ESPN's top 28 recruits, with Jones and Vaughn in the top nine. Their stock has college coaches from across the country frequently visiting the Twin Cities to catch a glimpse. It's not often when the Twin Cities produces this sort of talent in the same class, let alone on the same court. Jones and Vaughn will square off on Jan. 5 at 3 p.m. at Target Center.
2 WHO GETS THE BIG PRIZE?

Jones, Apple Valley's star point guard, announced a month ago that his college options are down to eight. The news delivered through Twitter read "I have officially narrowed my college choices to ... Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, UNC."

A decision by the nation's top recruit of the Class of 2014 (as rated by ESPN) likely won't come until after the season, but the courting will get serious next month. It likely will be a busy winter for Jones. A change in NCAA recruiting rules allows individuals to begin making official visits Jan. 1 of their junior year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/181934261.html

Go Gophers!!

Watching middle school highlights over a beat, times done changed, that's for sure haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom