Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he comes to the U he'll be a legend and a generation of Minnesota kids will grow up wanting to be the next Tyus. If he goes to Duke or MSU he'll be an asterisk and booed every time he comes here to play the Timberwolves. Who knows what a 16 year old will do.

Right. When the world is a kid's oyster, he should limit himself to only thinking about how he can succeed and please those within the adjacent area codes. If he doesn't, he's a traitor and an ingrate and we'll boo him! Then we'll see who's laughing!

howieramone said:
If he comes to the U he'll be a legend and a generation of Minnesota kids will grow up wanting to be the next Tyus. If he goes to Duke or MSU he'll be an asterisk and booed every time he comes here to play the Timberwolves. Who knows what a 16 year old will do.

No one would boo him in the NBA, not one single
Minnesotan would.

No one would boo him in the NBA, not one single
Minnesotan would.[/
QUOTE]

Mark Olberding from Melrose, left the U after one year for the pros. Best Minnesota High School player I have ever seen. But, you're right, fans are so much better behaved now aren't they.

If Tyus went to Wisconsin, he may have issues. If he went to Duke? No one would be anything but happy for him. They may blame MN / Tubby for not getting him, but the boos and criticism would hardly fall on Tyus IMO.

Meh. If Tyus goes anywhere else, I'll probably boo him. What can I say, I'm petty. And I want to discourage future blue chippers from fleeing to greener pastures, as much as it's in my power to do so. I'm not stupid enough to think it has some effect, but I've never understood the need to be magnanimous - "Yay, Tyus, you're from the same state as me, I wish you success in your time playing for Roy Williams!" The only reason I care about Tyus (since I do not now, and am not like to ever know him personally) is that he might make a team I cheer for perform at a higher level.

Tyus Jones could do for Minnesota Men's Basketball what Lindsay Whalen did for Minnesota Women's Basketball. He would take it to the next level.

Whalen took the Gophers to the Final Four. Jones would do the very same thing.

Wouldn't that be sweet?

Right. When the world is a kid's oyster, he should limit himself to only thinking about how he can succeed and please those within the adjacent area codes. If he doesn't, he's a traitor and an ingrate and we'll boo him! Then we'll see who's laughing!

You and scher215 are confusing basketball fans with Pollyanna.

I like the person who brought up Whalen as an example. We all know superstar caliber players should consider life after their athletic career is over and a program changer in Men's basketball could cash in big time in the Twin Cities. Has another U athlete made more than Whalen off of local endorsement deals in the last decade? While I like Lindsay, I think that partially points to the huge opportunity in front of a Tyus type of player. We're starved for a program changer in Football and/or Men's hoops. For the big time player, it's an extemely intelligent financial choice. Look at what attending the U did for Flip Saunders and Kevin McHale's post playing career in this area. Even if a guy like Tyus doesn't stay long enough to lift us to new heights, he could still make some form of a living off of his name and connection to the U like Quincy Lewis, Trent Tucker, Kevin Lynch, and Spencer Tollackson.

To take it a step further, I have never visited El-Amin's Fish House and never will. That said, I would make it a point to visit Lindsay Whalen or Eric Decker's restaurant if either ever opens one.

I like the person who brought up Whalen as an example. We all know superstar caliber players should consider life after their athletic career is over and a program changer in Men's basketball could cash in big time in the Twin Cities. Has another U athlete made more than Whalen off of local endorsement deals in the last decade? While I like Lindsay, I think that partially points to the huge opportunity in front of a Tyus type of player. We're starved for a program changer in Football and/or Men's hoops. For the big time player, it's an extemely intelligent financial choice. Look at what attending the U did for Flip Saunders and Kevin McHale's post playing career in this area. Even if a guy like Tyus doesn't stay long enough to lift us to new heights, he could still make some form of a living off of his name and connection to the U like Quincy Lewis, Trent Tucker, Kevin Lynch, and Spencer Tollackson.

To take it a step further, I have never visited El-Amin's Fish House and never will. That said, I would make it a point to visit Lindsay Whalen or Eric Decker's restaurant if either ever opens one.

Sid called. He wants his material back!

Sid called. He wants his material back!

Hahaha

I think you're overplaying the local bit a tad too much man. Yeah, it'd be nice, but I don't think he'll be hatin life if he goes to Duke and wins a national title (much more likely IMO than him taking us to the FF, just sayin). I'm sure Khalid El-Amin isn't kicking himself for winning a title at UConn instead of taking U hoops deep in the tourney.

Obviously we could win a title too, I'm just going by odds and history.

The difference between Whalen and Tyus (well there's many, but for this argument I'll just focus on one) is that Tyus assumes he'll make millions of dollars at the professional level. He will choose the college that prepares him best for that. I hope it's us, but I'll be shocked if it is. Whalen, knew she didn't have as lucrative of a future playing pro sports, so she had would have had to weigh the local hero angle more than Tyus. Not saying she necessarily did consider this in her decision, but it would have come more into play.

Maybe Tyus and Rashad will be like the two top 50 women recruits for the 2014 class.

per Shama:

"Indiana Offers Scholarship to Tyus Jones
May 21, 2012 - (0) comments

Indiana is the latest school to offer a college scholarship to Apple Valley High School sophomore Tyus Jones, according to his mother Debbie Jones.

She said the offer came about two weeks ago. Previous offers include Arizona, Baylor, Marquette, Minnesota, Michigan State, Minnesota and Ohio State.

Tyus is regarded by prep experts as the best point guard in the country for the class of 2014 but he might never make the cover of Sports Illustrated like his pal Jabari Parker. The Chicago forward is on last week’s cover, being promoted as the best high school player since LeBron James.

The article featured Parker’s faith as a Mormon. “He’s a great kid,” Debbie said.

In the magazine story Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel said Parker is a role model for kids in that city. “His character and seriousness of purpose are exceptional,” Emanuel said in S.I.

Jones and Parker have talked about attending college together but there are no commitments by either yet. Parker is a junior, one class ahead of Jones. Since it’s probable Parker will only play one season in college before entering the NBA, Jones might not be influenced much by Parker’s college choice.

Debbie said Tyus has been ill with a virus and unable to play basketball in recent weeks. He will attend the USA 17 and under team tryouts in Colorado Springs in mid-June. The USA team will compete in the world tournament in Lithuania from June 29 – July 8."

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

The difference between Whalen and Tyus (well there's many, but for this argument I'll just focus on one) is that Tyus assumes he'll make millions of dollars at the professional level. He will choose the college that prepares him best for that. I hope it's us, but I'll be shocked if it is. Whalen, knew she didn't have as lucrative of a future playing pro sports, so she had would have had to weigh the local hero angle more than Tyus. Not saying she necessarily did consider this in her decision, but it would have come more into play.

Lindsay Whalen was not that highly recruited coming out of high school. Iowa was after her, and she has said she picked the Gophers so she could watch the Vikings. I'm not too sure that any other Big Ten schools were, and, for sure, Geno and Pat weren't beating a path here to watch her play. More than a slight difference with what's going on with Tyus.

CBS recruiting Q&A:

Where do you see Theo Pinson, Tyus Jones and Julius Randle landing?

For Pinson and Jones, it's still too early to gauge where they might end up. Jones seems likely to stay in the Midwest, but Duke is also a possibility. As for Randle, everyone in the country is on him. Kansas could have the edge, but Duke, Texas, North Carolina, Kentucky and others are in the mix.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...iting-mailbag-how-does-kentucky-look-for-2013

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Standout Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones has been invited to try out for the USA Basketball men's U17 team on June 5-12 at Colorado College. The team will play in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship starting June 29 in Lithuania. Jones is playing for the Howard Pulley AAU team and is leading the squad in scoring at 20.8 points per game. The team has a 7-7 record against top national competition.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/155852785.html?page=2&c=y

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Standout Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones has been invited to try out for the USA Basketball men's U17 team on June 5-12 at Colorado College. The team will play in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship starting June 29 in Lithuania. Jones is playing for the Howard Pulley AAU team and is leading the squad in scoring at 20.8 points per game. The team has a 7-7 record against top national competition.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/155852785.html?page=2&c=y

Maybe that's part of his charm (?!), but Sid's information is consistently wrong or outdated. I'll try to correct:

Standout Apple Valley point guard Tyus Jones has been invited to try out for the USA Basketball men's U17 team June 15-22 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, CO. The team will play in the 2012 FIBA U17 World Championship starting June 29 in Lithuania. USA figures to be playing for a gold medal on July 8 when the tournament wraps up. Jones is playing for the Howard Pulley AAU team and is leading the squad in scoring at 18.0 points per game. The team finished the regular season with an 11-9 record and qualified as a wild card for the Nike Peach Jam (held July 18-21, with Howard Pulley's first game on July 19). Tyus played in just 14 games during the regular season, as he was sick for one session (missed 5 games) and the team won its last scheduled game this past Monday by forfeit.

Where do you get this line of thinking/low expectations from?

Sam Jacobson? Chose Minnesota
Khalid El Amin? Verbally committed to Minnesota before some controversy, and UConn came calling (with bags of cash?)
Joel Pryz? Chose Minnesota
Adam Boone? Chose North Carolina but transferred to Minnesota
Rick Rickert? Initially chose Arizona, but signed with Minnesota
Kris Humphries? Initially chose Duke but signed with Minnesota
Isiah Dahlman? Chose MSU
Cole Aldrich? Chose Kansas
Royce White? Chose Minnesota
Rodney Williams? Chose Minnesota
Joe Coleman? Chose Minnesota

I edited, added a few things for completeness. I didn't include guys like Jake Sullivan, Jordan Taylor, Blake Hoffarber, Jon Leuer etc. that ended up being very good college players but were not "blue chip recruits"). I think by and large, you can say that we don't get all of the in-state blue chippers we want, but we do get them far more often than not. Frankly, it seems like we only miss them when there's a very good reason (like, the Monson years being a mess, or some craziness surrounding El-Amin).

WanderingGopher said:
I edited, added a few things for completeness. I didn't include guys like Jake Sullivan, Jordan Taylor, Blake Hoffarber, Jon Leuer etc. that ended up being very good college players but were not "blue chip recruits"). I think by and large, you can say that we don't get all of the in-state blue chippers we want, but we do get them far more often than not. Frankly, it seems like we only miss them when there's a very good reason (like, the Monson years being a mess, or some craziness surrounding El-Amin).

Leuerr was a 4-star much like Rodney, IMO he should be included. Trent Lockett was also highly regarded.

ZagsBlog: Several Schools Working Hard For Tyus Jones

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/06/20/several-schools-working-hard-for-tyus-jones/

“Michigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota, Baylor, Indiana, Duke, Arizona, those are kind of the ones that are showing the most interest,” the 6-foot-1 Jones said from the USA U17 practices in Colorado Springs, Colo.

As for Minnesota, he has already visited unofficially and conceded there was pressure at home to consider the Gophers.

“Oh, definitely,” he said. “I think there’s always some pressure to stay at home. Definitely Minnesota and all the Minnesota fans are showing me a lot of support and a lot of love and definitely want me to stay at home. So there’s definitely some pressure I would say.”

Go Gophers!!

TYUS ROBERT JONES SCORED 9 POINTS IN FIBA SEMI FINAL GAME

Tyus Robert Jones who is playing in the FIBA U17 World Championship for Men scored 9 points in the semi final game against Spain. Team USA came away with the 95-66 victory.

Jones was 2-6 from the field. That included going 1-2 from behind the three-point line. Jones went 4-6 from the free throw line. Jones dished out 4 assists.

Check out the link below for more details.

http://stevenssports.blogspot.com/2012/07/tyus-robert-jones-scored-9-points-in.html

Apple Valley's Tyus Jones and top prep center Jahlil Okafor say they want to play college ball together

"We're most definitely excited to do it," said Jones, who won a gold medal with Okafor and Team USA on July 8 at the Under-17 World Championship in Lithuania. "We're very serious about doing it and think it's going to happen."

Gophers coach Tubby Smith doesn't seem to be in the mix for Okafor at the moment, though Jones says he's still considering playing for Smith.

"(Smith) came up to my school once; I think that was my freshman year," Okafor, a 6-foot-10 center at Whitney Young High School in Chicago, said Monday, July 16. "But I haven't been in too much contact with Minnesota."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21089567/recruit-two-jones-and-buddy-teaming-up

Go Gophers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom