Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hoopscoop had tyus 22nd in nation class of 2014 fall of 2011 ratings two kids already signed by indiana higher rated.

Do you trust hoopscoop more than Rivals, ESPN, and Scout? Rivals has him rated lowest between those 3 and still have him at #7.

By the way, the idea that Rachel Banham is not analogous to Tyus Jones is silly. Banham is Big 10 FoY and one of 5 players nationally on the 1st freshman all-America team. Will Jones be better? Maybe, but incrementally. The point is that with Banham a pretty experienced Gopher team improved from 12-18 to 15-17 (regular season, 19-17 including the WBI). But seriously +2 games. Basically she replaced China Antoine, otherwise the roster was pretty much the same both years but a year older and wiser with Banham.

So, is that the kind of improvement you should anticipate with a blue chipper like Tyus? Well, Apple Valley has improved from 52-36 in the 3 years before Tyus to 62-24 in his 1st 3 years. They took 3rd place in the state in '07 and have not been back to state since. This is a program that coulda/woulda won 52 games without him. Of course the next 2 years they could just as well be 60-4 and 2 state titles. But seriously his team was 23-6 and did not get to state this year.

He is not God. If he directly replaces a point guard such as Dre and otherwise the roster turns over more or less normally (which assumes that the '12 and '13 recruiting classes will be "normal"), he might be worth 2 or 3 games. Like Banham. He will need a worthwhile supporting cast around him. Like Lindsay Whalen with a Mya Moore and a healthy Seimone Augustus (WNBA champs) versus the previous year with Augustus coming back from surgery and no Mya Moore they were below .500. Maybe if I said Tyus = Lindsay Whalen...naw, you're not gonna like that any better.

Of course people are now saying that the Wolves were .500 with Rubio and now they're 4-17 without him. As if he was all of that difference. He's not. And Tyus Jones is not gonna be the difference between a .500 team and an NCAA champ. I hope we sign him. We will be better with him than without. But how much better? John Wall, surrounded by a bunch of early outs, is not the analogy.

sunnyday2 said:
By the way, the idea that Rachel Banham is not analogous to Tyus Jones is silly. Banham is Big 10 FoY and one of 5 players nationally on the 1st freshman all-America team. Will Jones be better? Maybe, but incrementally. The point is that with Banham a pretty experienced Gopher team improved from 12-18 to 15-17 (regular season, 19-17 including the WBI). But seriously +2 games. Basically she replaced China Antoine, otherwise the roster was pretty much the same both years but a year older and wiser with Banham.

So, is that the kind of improvement you should anticipate with a blue chipper like Tyus? Well, Apple Valley has improved from 52-36 in the 3 years before Tyus to 62-24 in his 1st 3 years. They took 3rd place in the state in '07 and have not been back to state since. This is a program that coulda/woulda won 52 games without him. Of course the next 2 years they could just as well be 60-4 and 2 state titles. But seriously his team was 23-6 and did not get to state this year.

He is not God. If he directly replaces a point guard such as Dre and otherwise the roster turns over more or less normally (which assumes that the '12 and '13 recruiting classes will be "normal"), he might be worth 2 or 3 games. Like Banham. He will need a worthwhile supporting cast around him. Like Lindsay Whalen with a Mya Moore and a healthy Seimone Augustus (WNBA champs) versus the previous year with Augustus coming back from surgery and no Mya Moore they were below .500. Maybe if I said Tyus = Lindsay Whalen...naw, you're not gonna like that any better.

Of course people are now saying that the Wolves were .500 with Rubio and now they're 4-17 without him. As if he was all of that difference. He's not. And Tyus Jones is not gonna be the difference between a .500 team and an NCAA champ. I hope we sign him. We will be better with him than without. But how much better? John Wall, surrounded by a bunch of early outs, is not the analogy.

Tyus will be better than Wall IMO. And I think it is a fair analogy. Maybe the Gophers don't win the title, but Tubby has habitually landed 3 and 4 star recruits to surround Tyus with, while not 5 stars like UK, a team of 4 stars + Tyus would be pretty good.

I also doubt the Gophers men will be as bad as the women before Rachel. If Gophers get 22 wins prior to Tyus and he adds 3-5 wins? That's an elite 8 at minimum. 25-27 wins is pretty successful.

i get a $.03 for every hit coming from gopherhole.com..
boys, help a guy out!

PiPress: Gophers-Tubby Smith situation will be a factor for Tyus Jones

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_20426391/gophers-tubby-smith-situation-will-be-factor-tyus

Jones, who averaged 28 points and eight assists in 2011-12, watched the hometown Gophers struggle this past season. But he was impressed how Minnesota (23-15) finished. The Gophers won six of their final eight games to reach the NIT championship game.

"It was a great opportunity for Minnesota," Jones said. "They're a younger team, and they put together a nice few games in the end. They were playing really well."

Go Gophers!!

Time may be on our side (yes it is) on the Tyus and Vaughn questions. Fairly explicit in the PP article is that Tyus and Vaughn can turn out to be a package and Tubby has formed a bond with Tyus. Coach Smith has followed Tyus' development since the 6th grade. With the changes in AD, need to work out an extension for the coach and a commitment to the practice facility, maybe over the next year MN can resolve these issues and keep these young men home.

I was at the EYBL all afternoon yesterday. Tyus was the best player I saw and this includes Jabari Parker.

Rivals review of Tyus this weekend:

"Tyus Jones isn't the biggest point guard in the class of 2014. He's not the fastest or most explosive one either. But, there isn't a better floor general -- at least not that we've seen -- in the sophomore class. A fine distributor of the ball who can shoot and score, Jones' command of the pick-and-roll and the proficiency with which he sets up shooters are ridiculous for a player as young as he is."

http://rutgers.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1360361

Go Gophers!!

NBE Basketball on Tyus this weekend:

"Top Performance of the Day:

Tyus Jones (Howard Pulley Panthers 2014) – Jones is the best point guard in America and showed all the reasons why in a masterful performance on Saturday night. A college head coach will be able to turn the ball over to Jones immediately as a freshman and be able to completely trust the young man. He plays with a maturity that is almost surreal for such a young player seemingly making the correct decision with the basketball every time down the floor. Jones can shoot it with range but only does so when the defense calls for it. He can slip passes into the tightest of windows on the money but only does so when the defense takes away an easier option. Perhaps most impressive was how every one of Jones’ passes seemed to land right in the hands of his teammate putting them in a position to score. Jones has a unique understanding of exactly where his teammates want the ball and he puts it right there. His recruitment with be crucial to the entire 2014 class because elite players are going to want to play alongside the elite playmaker. Tyus Jones is a bona fide stud."

"Tyus Jones (Howard Pulley 2014) – Jones mentioned offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan State, Marquette, Duke, Ohio State, Baylor, Arizona, and Providence among others. He stressed that he is taking his time and in is absolutely no rush in his recruiting process. In order he listed academics, the coaching philosophy, and other potential recruits joining him as his 3 main keys when it is time to pick a college destination."

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0429/nike-eybl-session-2-boo-williams-day-ii/

Go Gophers!!

NBE Basketball on Tyus this weekend:

"Top Performance of the Day:

Tyus Jones (Howard Pulley Panthers 2014) – Jones is the best point guard in America and showed all the reasons why in a masterful performance on Saturday night. A college head coach will be able to turn the ball over to Jones immediately as a freshman and be able to completely trust the young man. He plays with a maturity that is almost surreal for such a young player seemingly making the correct decision with the basketball every time down the floor. Jones can shoot it with range but only does so when the defense calls for it. He can slip passes into the tightest of windows on the money but only does so when the defense takes away an easier option. Perhaps most impressive was how every one of Jones’ passes seemed to land right in the hands of his teammate putting them in a position to score. Jones has a unique understanding of exactly where his teammates want the ball and he puts it right there. His recruitment with be crucial to the entire 2014 class because elite players are going to want to play alongside the elite playmaker. Tyus Jones is a bona fide stud."

"Tyus Jones (Howard Pulley 2014) – Jones mentioned offers from Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan State, Marquette, Duke, Ohio State, Baylor, Arizona, and Providence among others. He stressed that he is taking his time and in is absolutely no rush in his recruiting process. In order he listed academics, the coaching philosophy, and other potential recruits joining him as his 3 main keys when it is time to pick a college destination."

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0429/nike-eybl-session-2-boo-williams-day-ii/

Go Gophers!!

If academics is really the top priority Duke has the advantage. I think the coach and other recruits are going to be the difference maker, I think MSU has the advantage right now.

At least Minnesota has good academics, a coach that (I think) he respects, and potentially some good recruits alongside him (Vaughn among others). If we have a big year this coming season then I think we might have a legit shot. We'd probably have to make a sweet 16 though.

At least Minnesota has good academics, a coach that (I think) he respects, and potentially some good recruits alongside him (Vaughn among others). If we have a big year this coming season then I think we might have a legit shot. We'd probably have to make a sweet 16 though.

Win & showcase Dre Hollins at PG. Help Tyus envision this team as "HIS".

I hope Tyus comes to Minnesota.

Tyus definitely has to potential to become great. He has a feel for the game that not many players have. That being said, I watched him play at the EYBL in Eagan last weekend and he had a down game. It was glaringly obvious that he could match the passing skills of Kendall Marshall if he played college ball this year as a 16 year old. However it was also obvious that his jump shot requires much refinement and consistancy. He has good potential on the defensive end, but many-a-times during games does he get lazy and give up quick points. On a positive note, he is and will be a wiz on the fast break in college and simply will never be challenged running and gunning in the open court at the college level.

How many pages do you guys think this thread will be by the time Tyus graduates? My guess, 70.

How many pages do you guys think this thread will be by the time Tyus graduates? My guess, 70.

Add 30 celebratory pages to that if he commits to the Gophers.

mattw1067 said:
Add 30 celebratory pages to that if he commits to the Gophers.

And 200 to that if he commits to the Badgers.

I'll agree with 70 though if he commits anywhere else.

I hope Tyus comes to Minnesota.

If he comes to the U he'll be a legend and a generation of Minnesota kids will grow up wanting to be the next Tyus. If he goes to Duke or MSU he'll be an asterisk and booed every time he comes here to play the Timberwolves. Who knows what a 16 year old will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom