Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why is he ranked #7 in his class?

Just guessing here, but maybe he doesn't mean in a sense of overall talent. It's rare that a player has his type of vision, passing, and overall feel for the game at such a young age. I'm not saying he's a once in a lifetime type of player (although for Minnesota he might be), but if that's all he's referring to then it's not quite as ridiculous. Most young players are rated so high because they are athletic freaks, which doesn't describe Tyus at all. He's different than your typical top 5 or top 10 player.

So is this when we start diminishing the talent of Jones as a defense mechanism in case he goes elsewhere?

So is this when we start diminishing the talent of Jones as a defense mechanism in case he goes elsewhere?

I know this isn't wholly directed at me, but I'm not trying to diminish his talents at all. I'm just saying that the people who think he'll be Jesus in a Gopher uniform and he will lead us to the promised land of a National Championship are probably way off base. I think he'd be an incredible asset for the Gophers, I'd love to have him at the U, and I think he should be one of our top priorities for the 2014 recruiting class. With that said, I don't want to put all of our eggs in one basket and spend too much energy on him when the rest of the state's 2014 class is ridiculously loaded.

Just guessing here, but maybe he doesn't mean in a sense of overall talent. It's rare that a player has his type of vision, passing, and overall feel for the game at such a young age. I'm not saying he's a once in a lifetime type of player (although for Minnesota he might be), but if that's all he's referring to then it's not quite as ridiculous. Most young players are rated so high because they are athletic freaks, which doesn't describe Tyus at all. He's different than your typical top 5 or top 10 player.

Yes, 1,000%, yes. you are exactly right.

I will use Ricky Rubio as an example, Ricky is not the best shooter, he is not even the "flashiest" passer (Rondo), he isn't the best ball handler, he isn't the best defender, he doesn't have the best drive. There are few physical skills I can say Ricky Rubio is the absolute best at in the NBA. So then you ask yourself, why would EVERY NBA player want Ricky on there team? Why is he so fun to watch? Why does he seem to dominate games? Ricky has that perfect court/game vision, he knows what is going to happen 30 seconds before it does, he sees plays so much quicker than anyone else does. Tyus Jones is similar to that, as a Sophomore in high school. I don't think some people realize how ridiculous that is. No one was raving about John Wall as a sophomore the way they are about Tyus. Nice thing about Tyus, that is different than Ricky, is that Tyus CAN score. He may be the best scorer in the state. I think it is just ridiculous that people don't see how special this kid can be. He is already very good and has two more years to develop before ever stepping foot on a college court. MSU fans, a team that DOES pull in top 10, top 50 talent much more than Minnesota, was chanting "WE WANT TYUS" ... the kid is a sophomore in high school. He is the only PG Coach K wants at one of the best programs in college basketball history. As a sophomore in high school.

Tyus has so many skills you cannot teach, you couldn't even begin to teach, and he also has skills already developed that you can teach. Shooting, handling, driving, etc.

I am not old enough to remember every Gopher player ever or have watched them play, so maybe my best Gopher comment was a little out there, but if you can't see how special this kid is then I don't know what to say.

I know this isn't wholly directed at me, but I'm not trying to diminish his talents at all. I'm just saying that the people who think he'll be Jesus in a Gopher uniform and he will lead us to the promised land of a National Championship are probably way off base. I think he'd be an incredible asset for the Gophers, I'd love to have him at the U, and I think he should be one of our top priorities for the 2014 recruiting class. With that said, I don't want to put all of our eggs in one basket and spend too much energy on him when the rest of the state's 2014 class is ridiculously loaded.

I don't know that he could win us a title, but there is no reason a final four isn't immediatley possible with him on board. I agree we can't let a CoJo thing happen again and lose out on Tyus and end up with nothing, but he is far and away the best 2014 player and I may go out to Dinkytown for an entire week if he signs here.

That said, depending on scholarships, Vaughn is also a VERY important player. And if we can get both??? That team really could make a final four / eite 8. And who knows what the 2012 class will turn out to be when they arrive or what the 2013 class will be.

The thing that separates football and basketball is the impact that one player can have, If you take Kobe Bryant off the Lakers, they have zero championships the last 5 years. Probably no playoff appearences either. If you add Tyus Jones / Rashad Vaughn to the Gophers? That is a very happy thought.

If Tyus is really the have all end all, then Tubby would redshirt Austin and do other fanatical things. Tyus is really good, but you shouldn't really adjust your team and recruiting plan any more than what Tubby and Co. are already doing (not recruiting a PG in class of 2013).

If Tyus is really the have all end all, then Tubby would redshirt Austin and do other fanatical things. Tyus is really good, but he's not Michael Jordan.
Michael Jordan wasn't even the top pick of his draft class......

Yes, 1,000%, yes. you are exactly right.

I will use Ricky Rubio as an example, Ricky is not the best shooter, he is not even the "flashiest" passer (Rondo), he isn't the best ball handler, he isn't the best defender, he doesn't have the best drive. There are few physical skills I can say Ricky Rubio is the absolute best at in the NBA. So then you ask yourself, why would EVERY NBA player want Ricky on there team? Why is he so fun to watch? Why does he seem to dominate games? Ricky has that perfect court/game vision, he knows what is going to happen 30 seconds before it does, he sees plays so much quicker than anyone else does. Tyus Jones is similar to that, as a Sophomore in high school. I don't think some people realize how ridiculous that is. No one was raving about John Wall as a sophomore the way they are about Tyus. Nice thing about Tyus, that is different than Ricky, is that Tyus CAN score. He may be the best scorer in the state. I think it is just ridiculous that people don't see how special this kid can be. He is already very good and has two more years to develop before ever stepping foot on a college court. MSU fans, a team that DOES pull in top 10, top 50 talent much more than Minnesota, was chanting "WE WANT TYUS" ... the kid is a sophomore in high school. He is the only PG Coach K wants at one of the best programs in college basketball history. As a sophomore in high school.

Tyus has so many skills you cannot teach, you couldn't even begin to teach, and he also has skills already developed that you can teach. Shooting, handling, driving, etc.

I am not old enough to remember every Gopher player ever or have watched them play, so maybe my best Gopher comment was a little out there, but if you can't see how special this kid is then I don't know what to say.

Great point, however I think it was for the other team.....

Wolves without Rubio = <.500 team
Wolves with Rubio = .550 team on the cusp of just MAKING the playoffs....

Tyus is the best/most important recruit we've seen this decade, maybe even the past 30 years, he will NOT singlehandedly win us a B1G championship.

He would mean more to this program than any other program out there, and if by some miracle he committed early in his Junior year it would be even bigger for this program. I don't want to diminish his ability, but let's not kid ourselves about him being compared to Jordan (the idea of Jordan not the college player) or a Anthony Davis. He could be neutralized by a savvy SR guard and a shot blocking center and we are back to Tubby gameplan adjustments... We know how that rolls.

Tyus Jones and the "Twin City Tyrants" (i made that up, we need a name for the potential 2014 class) is our version of Mateen Cleaves and the "Flint Stones".

Why would he redshirt Austin?

Yeah, I was just eluding to the fact that no recruit should shape the dynamics of your team years before they play for you. If Tyus really meant that much to us, we would redshirt Austin so he could play with Tyus.

Yeah, I was just eluding to the fact that no recruit should shape the dynamics of your team years before they play for you. If Tyus really meant that much to us, we would redshirt Austin so he could play with Tyus.

Still not following. This makes absolutely no sense to me?

You want the gophers to red shirt a shooting guard who will be a senior in college when Tyus is a senior in high school so the guy can get a fifth year and play as a fifth year senior just in case Tyus would sign down the road and play with Austin for one year as a freshman?

Sorry that makes no sense. First off I am guessing you meant Andre Hollins right? Won't happen with either player. Play to win now and then hope to sign Tyus and hopefully another great player....maybe Vaughn.

You want the gophers to red shirt a shooting guard who will be a senior in college when Tyus is a senior in high school so the guy can get a fifth year and play as a fifth year senior just in case Tyus would sign down the road and play with Austin for one year as a freshman?

Sorry that makes no sense. First off I am guessing you meant Andre Hollins right? Won't happen with either player. Play to win now and then hope to sign Tyus and hopefully another great player....maybe Vaughn.
Well if we lose both Chip and Mav, redshirtting Austin and bringing in Tyus is impossible unless we cut other players.

I wasn't being serious! I just said that IF Tyus was actually important enough that we should do everything in our power to secure his commitment, we would redshirt Austin.

But obviously no recruit should shape the core and dynamics of your team years before they play with you.

RoyalGopher said:
I wasn't being serious! I just said that IF Tyus was actually important enough that we should do everything in our power to secure his commitment, we would redshirt Austin.

But obviously no recruit should shape the core and dynamics of your team years before they play with you.

I'd build Tyus a status outside Williams tomorrow if it would secure his commitment. I'd also take out a huge loan to open the tyus jones practice facility and pay it back whenever.

Tyus is a program-changer. Biggest recruit we've had to get in years. I hope Tubby can do it. But if we don't get him, we can't shut the doors. If we get Vaughan and the other top kids from that class, we'll still have a good future, even without Tyus. By all means, get Tyus here at all costs (hmm, Anthony Davis got 200k?) (just kidding, leave the cheating to Calipari), but let's not forget to recruit the other big timers in 2014. CoJo should have taught us the dangers of putting our eggs in one basket.

no one knows the future

Tyus is a program-changer. Biggest recruit we've had to get in years. I hope Tubby can do it. But if we don't get him, we can't shut the doors. If we get Vaughan and the other top kids from that class, we'll still have a good future, even without Tyus. By all means, get Tyus here at all costs (hmm, Anthony Davis got 200k?) (just kidding, leave the cheating to Calipari), but let's not forget to recruit the other big timers in 2014. CoJo should have taught us the dangers of putting our eggs in one basket.

No one knows the future, but if tyus is a one and done player, and Vaughn were to play 4 years, I would take Vaughn. Imagine him playing with Dre in a backcourt? But your right on Theisen looks like a quality big, the following year i think Illikanen could be a top 50 player if he keeps growing and lifts some weights.

Tyus Jones more or less = Rachel Banham. Yes, he is probably better, but how much better can you be than Big 10 FpY and one of the top 5 freshman in the nation? My point is Banham has been called a program changer and Tyus has been called a program changer. Well, with Banham and an otherwise mostly senior team they still went 15-17 before their late run in something called the WBI. If you merely append Tyus to the existing program, how many more games do you win? Possibly as few as 0.

But, and I guess I am agreeing with a comment above, if getting Tyus means you can also get a couple other 3+-star recruits who want to play with him, well, now you're cooking. And Tyus knows this and of course he would seek to improve his position and his team. So if he is of a mind to play for Tubby, then he goes early. If he does not go early, then it is all over but the whining.

Tyus could mean ten wins. A guard with his skills is the most important piece a team can have. Rachel Banham? Give me a break. That is cuckoo talk.

Tyus Jones more or less = Rachel Banham. Yes, he is probably better, but how much better can you be than Big 10 FpY and one of the top 5 freshman in the nation? My point is Banham has been called a program changer and Tyus has been called a program changer. Well, with Banham and an otherwise mostly senior team they still went 15-17 before their late run in something called the WBI. If you merely append Tyus to the existing program, how many more games do you win? Possibly as few as 0.

But, and I guess I am agreeing with a comment above, if getting Tyus means you can also get a couple other 3+-star recruits who want to play with him, well, now you're cooking. And Tyus knows this and of course he would seek to improve his position and his team. So if he is of a mind to play for Tubby, then he goes early. If he does not go early, then it is all over but the whining.

Your premise (Tyus = Banham) is so far off that I won't comment any further.

Re-group and come back stronger, big guy!

Oh. You're one of the "Tyus could start for the Gophers today" crowd. Or rather two of that crowd. I respectfully disagree.

Oh. You're one of the "Tyus could start for the Gophers today" crowd. Or rather two of that crowd. I respectfully disagree.
I think he could've for the majority of last season. But with the emergence of Dre I would say he cannot as well.

JohnnyGopher said when Tyus was a freshman that at least some of the coaching staff thought he could have had a positive contribution to the Gophers. Dave Telep of ESPN also said that there are probably only two teams in America that Tyus couldn't start for right now. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think he could have started at point guard as a sophomore, especially before Andre emerged as the leader of the team. Tyus is a special talent.

hoopscoop had tyus 22nd in nation class of 2014 fall of 2011 ratings two kids already signed by indiana higher rated.

Most people think Tyus would start for the Gophers right now. We might have to slide Dre over to the 2, but Tyus would still start. Telep over at ESPN had Tyus in his top 25 in the nation regardless of class.

I get where you're coming from, though. Tyus is only 16 (or is it 15?), needs to mature physically, needs to work on his shot, and his effort on defense. Still, I think Tyus would start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom