Tyus Jones to Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The selling point from Tubby has to be: "You and Rashad have a chance to turn the Minnesota program into national contenders/champs. With you two on the team, there's no reason we can't be as good as anyone in the nation. Sign on early and we'll get others to follow. You will be heroes in your hometown."

Of course the sales pitch becomes a little more plausible if Tubby and the Gophers win next year and he has a great fall signing class next year.......

Lots of time left on this deal.

Right on! Send Tubby an email.

Tyus did an interview on 740 The Fan in Fargo today on the Jack Michael's show. Tyus' uncle was a college roommate of the host, so I guess that's the connection. He didn't come out and say it straight up, but all indications are that he's not going to NDSU.

Tyus did an interview on 740 The Fan in Fargo today on the Jack Michael's show. Tyus' uncle was a college roommate of the host, so I guess that's the connection. He didn't come out and say it straight up, but all indications are that he's not going to NDSU.

I just heard Lake Bison's head fall off....err hit the ground.

The selling point from Tubby has to be: "You and Rashad have a chance to turn the Minnesota program into national contenders/champs. With you two on the team, there's no reason we can't be as good as anyone in the nation. Sign on early and we'll get others to follow. You will be heroes in your hometown."
Of course the sales pitch becomes a little more plausible if Tubby and the Gophers win next year and he has a great fall signing class next year.......

Lots of time left on this deal.

Exactly. I hope this is exactly what he's telling them and they both buy into it. Our backcourt would be crazy good.

"APPLE VALLEY 78, BURNSVILLE 61: Tyus Jones continues to light up the scoreboard. The highly touted sophomore point guard scored 42 points, leading an Eagles lineup depleted by injuries past the Blaze in the South Suburban. Apple Valley (19-4), ranked No. 5 in Class 4A, was missing four players. Jones also had nine rebounds, four assists and four steals."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/139933993.html

Go Gophers!!

I'm kind of surprised Izzo has been to more of Tyus' games than Tubby, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Coaches are allowed to attend 14 games per recruit. I'm sure Tubby/someone on staff has attended the allowed 14 since he was in 8th grade.

I'm kind of surprised Izzo has been to more of Tyus' games than Tubby, but I wouldn't read too much into it. Coaches are allowed to attend 14 games per recruit. I'm sure Tubby/someone on staff has attended the allowed 14 since he was in 8th grade.

I'm not.

W0W Amazing ! And people thought the Mich ST game was a must Win game. Thanks to having a living legend like Tubby we are still in the running for Tyus

Channel 5 had video of Coach Izzo at the Cooper game watching Rashad Vaughn. Did he attend both the Cooper and AV games or is this story incorrect?

Tweet: "RT @JSWarno Izzone chanting "We want Tyus!" He's flashing a smile."

Go Gophers!!

Tweet: "RT @JSWarno Izzone chanting "We want Tyus!" He's flashing a smile."

Go Gophers!!

I guess they heard about MN doing that...though I don't recall Tyrus flashing a smile.

Truthfully it is bothersome when bigger name schools seem to have more of a draw to top nationally ranked instate recruits then the U does. Until the U starts being nationally relevant, not sure what can be done about it either.

calminnfan said:
I guess they heard about MN doing that...though I don't recall Tyrus flashing a smile.

Truthfully it is bothersome when bigger name schools seem to have more of a draw to top nationally ranked instate recruits then the U does. Until the U starts being nationally relevant, not sure what can be done about it either.
Your last line says it all. ^ You also have to beat teams like Sparty on your own court to keep them from taking your best in state players.

Went to see him play tonight. What an absolute treat. Best HS point guard I've ever seen in Minnesota. Great looking shot. Very good speed. Can finish at the basket. Best of all his passing is amazing. Not fancy -just great. Hits guys on the dead run on the hands with the right touch seemingly every time. I watched the first half and just a bit of the second half. He already had 25 points and a lot of assists with no turnovers I could recall.

We desperately need a great recruiting class next fall in order the be in position to get Tyus. No reason he can't win here as well as anywhere else.

Finally had a chance to see him play last night vs Rosemount.

Everything is so effortless for him. Almost to the point that he looks bored at times!!

Such a natural shot, great vision, and to me the most impressive thing was the court awareness.

It was as if he could see things way before anyone else on the court. Had a couple steals where the Irish player literally passed it right to him.

Apple Valley is an average team without him at best....The kid makes a HUGE difference out there.

It would be painful to see this kid on Michigan St./Ohio St. or some other program rather than the Gophers

Is it too early to start a "All Things Tre Jones" thread?!

per Shooter:

"Word in basketball circles is that Apple Valley sophomore prodigy Tyus Jones' sixth-grade brother, Tre Jones, is so talented that in two years the pair could be the Eagles' starting backcourt."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20105063

Go Gophers!!

Is it too early to start a "All Things Tre Jones" thread?!

per Shooter:

"Word in basketball circles is that Apple Valley sophomore prodigy Tyus Jones' sixth-grade brother, Tre Jones, is so talented that in two years the pair could be the Eagles' starting backcourt."

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_20105063

Go Gophers!!

Have we offered yet? In all seriousness though, I wonder how young the youngest person to ever get offered was.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I just don't see this kid going to the U. Let's face it - Jones can literally go to any school in the country, and walk right in as a starter. So, here's the question - does he choose a nationally prominent school that's playing nationally televised games every week, or does he choose the hometown school that can't finish in the top half of its conference, can't sell out its gym, and almost never plays on national TV or in the big marquee non-conference games? (Not to mention a school with an old facility and no practice facility.)

Don't get me wrong - I would be thrilled if Jones goes to the U - I just don't believe it's going to happen. To have any chance of landing this kid, the U has to have a much better season next year - at least in top half of conference, make a run in B1G tournament, and win a game in the NCAA tournament. It's all about buzz, and right now, the only buzz the U is generating is negative.

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but I just don't see this kid going to the U. Let's face it - Jones can literally go to any school in the country, and walk right in as a starter. So, here's the question - does he choose a nationally prominent school that's playing nationally televised games every week, or does he choose the hometown school that can't finish in the top half of its conference, can't sell out its gym, and almost never plays on national TV or in the big marquee non-conference games? (Not to mention a school with an old facility and no practice facility.)

Don't get me wrong - I would be thrilled if Jones goes to the U - I just don't believe it's going to happen. To have any chance of landing this kid, the U has to have a much better season next year - at least in top half of conference, make a run in B1G tournament, and win a game in the NCAA tournament. It's all about buzz, and right now, the only buzz the U is generating is negative.

I think our one hope for landing Jones is two fold.. 1) his family likes Tubby and would like him to stay close to home and 2) Jones is the type of guy who is different and wants to be "the man" who lifts a program up. I don't think Jones would think of the Gophers as a bottom dweller if he came here. All that said, its an uphill climb, no doubt.

If Tyus chooses the Gophers, all of that will change the second he steps on campus. He will be playing for a good team no matter where he goes.

It just depends on what he wants. When you go to a Duke, North Carolina, or Kentucky, you're kinda just another guy. But if he were to come to MN, he could be remembered for a very long time. Look at a guy like Michael Beasley. He probably could have gone just about anywhere he wanted, but decided to go to Kansas St., who at the time, hadn't gone to the tourney for 11 years.

It's highly unlikely, but I guess you never know!

I think Damon Bailey committed to Indiana in eigth grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom