Trey Potts - UPDATED With Statement from the U

Co-effing-rect.
There is such a thing as HIPPA. If he was having some sort of event, you can’t just run around announcing specifics of that to the world.

Especially when the program is already fairly private, hence the depth charts, and the fact whatever it is/was they are likely consulting with a few different people and it has been less than 48 hours.

I mean…
There is no such thing as "HIPPA." And no - it's not a HIPAA thing.

the use of the word "ailment" - not injury - is interesting.

it suggests that the situation may not be game-related.

the definition:
a physical disorder or illness, especially of a minor or chronic nature.

speculating here, but this would not be the first time that an athlete had issues due to some previously un-diagnosed situation - something that might not turn up in a regular sports physical.

remains to be seen how much information is made public.

Awesome news. I'm sure it's been a crappy week for the Potts family, getting to go home always makes you feel better.

Yes. It must be a great moment for Trey and his family.

I've also been thinking about Trey's team mates. This has to be joyful news for them, from a personal standpoint, regardless of whether Potts' plays football in the future or not.

By the way, Trey Potts is currently the second-leading rusher in the B1G:

the use of the word "ailment" - not injury - is interesting.

it suggests that the situation may not be game-related.

the definition:
a physical disorder or illness, especially of a minor or chronic nature.

speculating here, but this would not be the first time that an athlete had issues due to some previously un-diagnosed situation - something that might not turn up in a regular sports physical.

remains to be seen how much information is made public.
Yes, the words and description are interesting. The athletic director and others staying down in Indiana could simply be a heartfelt show of support, or turning to the cynical explanation it could be an effort to soften any feelings if this, for example, is an exacerbation of a suspected or known pre-existing condition or if prior symptoms were softpedaled; liability concerns and so on. Clearly that is 100% hypothetical as we still don’t have any idea what happened and the “upper body ailment” could be a myriad of things. Feel free to flame me for even raising the possibility.

Clearly he’s done for awhile, regardless. Get well Treyson.

especially for a reported "upper-body injury"
"Upper-body ailment" much different than "injury" could be COVID for instance or a blood clot in the lung, or a concussion, or a collapsed lung, or pneumonia or.....

Last edited:

A synopsis of the PP article from Saturday Tradition:

Report: Minnesota RB Trey Potts discharged from hospital​

Rolando Rosa | 2 hours ago
https://www.facebook.com/dialog/sha...esota-rb-trey-potts-discharged-from-hospital/
Minnesota running back Trey Potts was discharged from an Indiana hospital and is headed back to rejoin the team, according to a report from Twin Cities.com.
According to Andy Greder, Potts was in the hospital for six days after sustaining an upper-body injury during Minnesota’s 20-13 victory over Purdue last Saturday.

The 5-foot-11, 210 lb. Potts took on the starting role after B1G RB of the Year Mo Ibrahim sustained an Achilles injury. So far this season, Potts has amassed 112 carries for 552 yards and 6 touchdowns. Last season, Potts recorded 121 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries.

True freshman Mar’Keise Irving is the new backup and has tallied 112 yards on 25 carries.
Minnesota is currently 3-2 after the win at Purdue. Minnesota’s other two wins came vs. Miami (OH) and at Colorado. Minnesota has lost to Ohio State and Bowling Green this season.
Minnesota is on a bye this week and will return to action on Oct. 16 (Noon EST/ESPN2) when they host Nebraska.

"Upper-body ailment" much different than "injury" could be COVID for instance or a blood clot in the lung, or a concussion, or a collapsed lung, or pneumonia or.....
Would spleen be "upper body"? Just a random shot in the dark guess.

I just recall that Chris Simms having serious spleen issue. Drew Bledsoe also had a hemothorax, accumulation of blood/fluid in the lung.

Apologies if either of those have been previously discussed in the 15 pages of this thread. I suppose those would be injuries as opposed to ailments.

Best wishes to Potts.

Glad to hear he is out of the hospital. Assume we might get some indication next week if he is back with the team at all.

Would spleen be "upper body"? Just a random shot in the dark guess.

I just recall that Chris Simms having serious spleen issue. Drew Bledsoe also had a hemothorax, accumulation of blood/fluid in the lung.

Apologies if either of those have been previously discussed in the 15 pages of this thread. I suppose those would be injuries as opposed to ailments.

Best wishes to Potts.
I think spleen counts upper body.

Another guess that at least is possible and matches is tension pneumothorax. That would be an acute emergency that would lead to a hospital stay.

Koko chimes in again with her thoughts...

1633730252161.png

You're right Koko...very good.

Really good to hear he is out. Had to be very difficult on him and his family.

The 5-foot-11, 210 lb. Potts took on the starting role after B1G RB of the Year Mo Ibrahim sustained an Achilles injury.

Honestly didn’t know that was for sure what had happened to Mo.

Just wonder if the Purdue coaching staff and players even made the effort to check his status. If this were to happen here, I am sure P.J. Would have been most concerned. Not so much with jerk at Purdue. (hope I am wrong and he showed some sympathy)

The 5-foot-11, 210 lb. Potts took on the starting role after B1G RB of the Year Mo Ibrahim sustained an Achilles injury.

Unfortunately the Gophers have taken up the same injury descriptions as the NHL. "Upper or Lower Body" injury. Mo had an Achilles injury, thus the operation and he's out for the season. I don't get all the secrecy.

Glad Mr. Potts is out of hospital. Not all the other silly stuff that ended up in this thread.

I'm gonna rage on Fleck if he makes Potts carry the ball 30 times next week.

Just wonder if the Purdue coaching staff and players even made the effort to check his status. If this were to happen here, I am sure P.J. Would have been most concerned. Not so much with jerk at Purdue. (hope I am wrong and he showed some sympathy)

Wow, taking the speculation to a whole new level. Well done!

Updated statement from the U:

Statement on University of Minnesota Running Back Trey Potts
University of Minnesota running back Trey Potts was discharged from an Indiana hospital earlier today and has returned to Minneapolis. Potts is doing well and will continue to receive follow-up care in Minnesota. We want to thank everyone for your thoughts and concern.

Glad he's out of the hospital. First step of many perhaps. Thankfully he has many internet doctors on this board to reach out to.

Source was Gopherhole, so….

The silencer is back! Don’t even think about making that comment 😎

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Pp8vu5K31QMxO" width="480" height="274" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">via GIPHY</a></p>
Socially redeeming. I forget what important roles you guys play as “eaters of the dead”.

You might just have to look that up. Ask your 4th grade teacher how to do that.

Last edited:

Socially redeeming. I forget what important roles you guys play as “eaters of the dead”.

You might just have to look that up. Ask your 4th grade teacher how to do that.
Sick burn, bro. Imma need some cream for that one.

Top Bottom