Transfer list possibilities, Spring 2020

Jeff Goodman wrote a really informative article the other day on the struggles of kids transferring up a level: https://watchstadium.com/transferri...llenge-for-most-mid-major-hoopers-04-13-2020/

One of the more interesting nuggets: "The 50 players examined collectively averaged 6.3 points per game this past season, as opposed to 11.8 points per contest at their mid-major spots. Seven averaged in double figures at their new stops and just four were full-time starters for NCAA Tournament teams."

I think Robbins is kind of uniquely qualified to buck the trend as he's on a clear upward trajectory as a player and he has his Uncle on staff which gives him a better picture of what he's getting in to than the average transfer from mid to high major.

So did we ever find out who this "big name transfer we would all instantly know" was on this super secret email from the ticket office?

Just watched some film on Peterson

I would almost like to see him sit a year before playing unless the ball is moving more this year. We're gonna have multiple scoring options so Carr, and the offense as a whole, needs to keep the ball moving. I would go away from screen-and-roll besides end of clock situations.

Plenty of guys that can create their own offense, Peterson would be included. Marcus does not need to be so ball dominant which I think would only help him. Less tired, more crisp and free-flowing. Hate to jump the gun on Carr coming back as we really do need him this year so first things first to get him back, but the potential for this offense this year is high.

I like Peterson's overall game a lot. Might just take a little bit to get accustomed to the Big 10.

I'm also good with Kier and even El-Amin looks like he can come in and knock down some shots and play a little bit. El-Amin just might not be a great fit at that 1/2 spot with Carr and Mash already here. Buggs seems the same kinda way. I gotta feeling that Antonio can/will shoot the ball a lot better than the stats show too. He could step in at a wing as just a shooter.

It'll be interesting to see which route we end up going / end up with. Already been a successful spring. Just building now.

*This is all with the assumption Walton does not commit, Carr comes back, and nobody else enters the portal

isn't that what we thought would likely be the case when he came in as a freshman?

Depends on who you asked, but he started 21 of 31 games as a freshman. Will probably improve and start more next season.

Depends on who you asked, but he started 21 of 31 games as a freshman. Will probably improve and start more next season.
I know. I was just meaning that I don't think it would've been starting related if he was transferring. May have had some culture shock at Duke, been homesick, etc., that even fueled the speculation he was transferring. He started a ton last year and would be expected to start more but still his name was out there.

He will be starting every game for Duke.
Well, there's a bet I'll take. Okay, you're on record he is going to start every game for Duke, and I'm on record saying that he won't. Guess we'll see who is right...

Well, there's a bet I'll take. Okay, you're on record he is going to start every game for Duke, and I'm on record saying that he won't. Guess we'll see who is right...
Agreed. Hurt is too much of a liability on defense to start every game.

Never said it was a bet but OK. The point was he was never leaving Duke and was not coming here. The only reason that bet runs in your favor is because of injury or senior night.

Senior night? At Duke? Come on, this isn't 1992.
They have seniors they will honor that night. Will any start, we shall see. Thread was really about transfers and rumors and some ticket agent saying a big name was transferring here and some fans thought it would be Hurt.

In a much larger sample size his freshman year, he shot 81% (29/36). That doesn't worry me.

He shot a lot of 3's and actually shot better (32%) from deep than his overall FG (28%) which is weird.

Okay, on closer inspection...he took 186 shots last year. And 168 of those were 3's. That's an incredible rate 90% 3P rate. Wow.

Definitely just looks like an off ball chucker. There was one game against Cal where he played 42 minutes and he gathered...0 rebounds. That seems difficult to achieve.
Naw, I coached several kids who routinely accomplished that distinction. Worst part, you wanted to celebrate the games they did finally get a rebound but they’d promptly turn it over, usually in a manner you couldn’t defend allowing the other team to feel pretty good about themselves.
Anybody who shoots 28% overall in college basketball should transfer...but to a lower division or another sport.

But, the trend was not positive. He lost his starting job and PT as the season progressed. That indicates that they had high expectations that he didn’t meet or that he got passed over. Not familiar with Duke’s recruiting, but I would assume that they are bringing in another highly touted freshman at his position that he has to beat out.

Maybe this season will convince Hurt he maybe should consider bending his knees and getting in a defensive stance this coming year.
He is athletic and quick enough to guard somebody once in awhile. He just refused to do it. Maybe that will change.
I still think he’d be an asset in a zone defense given the right responsibilities.

Plus he is 20 years old and a freshman?

Graduating at 19 in HS and playing back a year in HS didn’t quite worked... yet.

But, the trend was not positive. He lost his starting job and PT as the season progressed. That indicates that they had high expectations that he didn’t meet or that he got passed over. Not familiar with Duke’s recruiting, but I would assume that they are bringing in another highly touted freshman at his position that he has to beat out.
they have the 6th & 7th rated PF's coming in this year. Along with the #3 rated SF. #4 ranked PG. #5 ranked CG. And #5 ranked Center....so yes they are adding plenty of talent

they have the 6th & 7th rated PF's coming in this year. Along with the #3 rated SF. #4 ranked PG. #5 ranked CG. And #5 ranked Center....so yes they are adding plenty of talent

Not the first poster to bring this up, but would think this idea should have a significant impact on Walton's decision as well. Unc or Arizona could easily bring in 5 stars in coming years who would push him back in the pecking order. Of course, maybe he is thinking he can always transfer out if the rule changes.

Not the first poster to bring this up, but would think this idea should have a significant impact on Walton's decision as well. Unc or Arizona could easily bring in 5 stars in coming years who would push him back in the pecking order. Of course, maybe he is thinking he can always transfer out if the rule changes.

Doubt he’s afraid of that. He’s a confident kid and believes he’s good enough to play at any of his final schools. I do think you’re right about the transfer thing effecting other guys decisions and being willing to just take their highest offer

Maybe this season will convince Hurt he maybe should consider bending his knees and getting in a defensive stance this coming year.
He is athletic and quick enough to guard somebody once in awhile. He just refused to do it. Maybe that will change.
I still think he’d be an asset in a zone defense given the right responsibilities.
Fully expect him to average 14 points a game on a top 10 team, playing in the seasons biggest games nationally for a coach and brand he chose.

He was a top 10 recruit who actually should be a college junior thus a fair expectation would be to average 14 points a game. Imo

Fully expect him to average 14 points a game on a top 10 team, playing in the seasons biggest games nationally for a coach and brand he chose.
This is transparent Built. Why do you continue to do this? It is clearly a passive aggressive rub of salt across most Gopher fans' eyes by you. I know you are smart enough to know this.

This is transparent Built. Why do you continue to do this? It is clearly a passive aggressive rub of salt across most Gopher fans' eyes by you. I know you are smart enough to know this.
Not at all. Crazy amount of Hurt bashing for a kid that simply had a different dream for himself than fans had for him.
He was a top 10 recruit who actually should be a college junior thus a fair expectation would be to average 14 points a game. Imo
Actually less than half of those recruits average 14 in their true sophomore year on a top 10 national power. No one cares if your a redshirt, a sit out transfer or a top recruit that leaves after one year that never became a star or stuck it out. I cheer for the kid to do great. If he played here i would follow even closer but glad for him that he got his dream school. Cheered for Tyler Herro when he eventually went to Kentucky, Jones to Duke, my grandkids when they did not pick my alma.....

Top Bottom