Time to start looking fora new head coach

We can bring it up after every game but I don't see it happening. He'll be here next season.

Best thing about Gopherhole is...... no one ever jumps the gun.:rolleyes:

In fairness, this isn't Pitino's first year, or even his second. This is his third year, and unless something drastically changes, he will have put a worse team on the floor than the previous season each of those three years. Three years of consistent downward trajectory is not good.

Even within this year, I was told to look for improvement during the season. After last night, I'm not comfortable saying this team looks better at the end of conference play compared even to the low bar it set for itself at the start of conference play.

Whatever happens, RP owns it. His decisions have put the team where it is.
That said, as bad as the team is this year I think they will be absolutely amirzing next year

In fairness, this isn't Pitino's first year, or even his second. This is his third year, and unless something drastically changes, he will have put a worse team on the floor than the previous season each of those three years. Three years of consistent downward trajectory is not good.

Even within this year, I was told to look for improvement during the season. After last night, I'm not comfortable saying this team looks better at the end of conference play compared even to the low bar it set for itself at the start of conference play.

In ALL fairness, your post is 13 days after MY post.:)

Whatever happens, RP owns it. His decisions have put the team where it is.
That said, as bad as the team is this year I think they will be absolutely amirzing next year

FWIW the roster is not so much made up of who he wanted, but more so who he ended up with. I think he spent the first couple years spinning his wheels on players he had no chance to get to MN. Takes awhile to get 'the lay of the land', so to speak.

Just a theory.

somebody - an ass't coach, the AD, his dad, Sid, somebody - needs to sit down with Pitino and have a real heart-to-heart talk about his recruiting strategy. It just doesn't seem like there's a master plan here - it's like a guy going down the aisle at the grocery store and grabbing stuff at random off the shelves.

One "project" big man may be OK, but two in the same class? One transfer sitting out the year may be OK, but two in the same class? There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it. It's fine to say "we want length and athleticism," but so does every program in the country.

Yes, he's young. Yes, he's relatively inexperienced. But, if that's the case, you go out and get a veteran assistant coach to act as a mentor/sounding board.

I just wonder if anyone in that program feels confident enough to challenge Pitino or just have a tough discussion with him.

somebody - an ass't coach, the AD, his dad, Sid, somebody - needs to sit down with Pitino and have a real heart-to-heart talk about his recruiting strategy. It just doesn't seem like there's a master plan here - it's like a guy going down the aisle at the grocery store and grabbing stuff at random off the shelves.

One "project" big man may be OK, but two in the same class? One transfer sitting out the year may be OK, but two in the same class? There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it. It's fine to say "we want length and athleticism," but so does every program in the country.

Yes, he's young. Yes, he's relatively inexperienced. But, if that's the case, you go out and get a veteran assistant coach to act as a mentor/sounding board.

I just wonder if anyone in that program feels confident enough to challenge Pitino or just have a tough discussion with him.

Dude has had a grand total of 2 full year recruiting classes.

Put together the roster for 2 years from now and if he is successful with one of those two project big men he is set for a phenomenal looking team. Looks, right now that he mused on both, but give it time, things can change.

Put together the roster for 2 years from now and if he is successful with one of those two project big men he is set for a phenomenal looking team. Looks, right now that he mused on both, but give it time, things can change.

I've been disappointed with Konate's play, I thought he showed enough flashes last year to be competent this year and potentially really good down the road. He had the foot injury, not sure if that is still in play or a non-issue. Either way he is averaging ~5pts, 5rbs and 1.5 blocks in 20mpg... at the start of the season I would have taken that.

Gas on the other hand, has a loooong way to go, not sure why Gh'er always have to lump them together instead of evaluating each independently.

I've been disappointed with Konate's play, I thought he showed enough flashes last year to be competent this year and potentially really good down the road. He had the foot injury, not sure if that is still in play or a non-issue. Either way he is averaging ~5pts, 5rbs and 1.5 blocks in 20mpg... at the start of the season I would have taken that.

Gas on the other hand, has a loooong way to go, not sure why Gh'er always have to lump them together instead of evaluating each independently.

Konate is definitely better than Gas.......BUT

But what? Mo, Colt, EE, RS3 were world beaters in year 2? Case isn't closed on Konate and next year we have another option with some decent success and experience.

BUT....I don't think Konate is that good either. Sorry if some folks don't like that.

The point is - questioning Pitino's roster management and use of scholarships. Again, Konate by himself as a project is fine - but Gaston - at least right now - looks like a redundant piece that is providing no value. Or, to put it another way, a wasted scholarship.

I think it's fair to ask the question. If, instead of Gaston, the Gophers had a different player on scholarship - a player who was actually ready to play D1 BB, then we might be seeing some better results on the floor.

Roster management and use of scholarships are part of the package. Someone said earlier that Pitino was a good coach, but had made some mistakes on roster management. Well, that's part of coaching - and if Pitino needs help in that area, then he needs to get a veteran assistant coach to help him with that - assuming his ego will allow him to admit he needs help.

The point is - questioning Pitino's roster management and use of scholarships. Again, Konate by himself as a project is fine - but Gaston - at least right now - looks like a redundant piece that is providing no value. Or, to put it another way, a wasted scholarship.

I think it's fair to ask the question. If, instead of Gaston, the Gophers had a different player on scholarship - a player who was actually ready to play D1 BB, then we might be seeing some better results on the floor.

Roster management and use of scholarships are part of the package. Someone said earlier that Pitino was a good coach, but had made some mistakes on roster management. Well, that's part of coaching - and if Pitino needs help in that area, then he needs to get a veteran assistant coach to help him with that - assuming his ego will allow him to admit he needs help.
I agree. I'm all for giving Pitino another year but maybe a veteran assistant would be helpful.

Hoiberg had several transfers in the same class at Iowa State, White, PG from MSU, and I think one more all sitting for a year together. Transfers are evaluated based on what you do with them once they are eligible. Iowa State's were higher profile recruits, but you have to give the chance. If he fails after they are eligible, then you can sack him.

Pitino knew he was reaching on the two big guys. I remember some quote he had about not being able to get the top US kids yet. He is learning and I am sure he will never do that again. This year is like the perfect storm, with the loss of a handful of players that could have helped, coupled with some players that haven't matured. Give him time, it will get better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, some things definitely happened in 2014 that the team is suffering for now. Not sure what Lofton did, perhaps will never know, but he clearly had a set of expectations that he failed to meet. Martin flacked because he couldn't handle earning his playing time, that's a two way street, and you can certainly make the argument that Pitino misevaluated Martin's mental toughness. That can be tough to do sometimes, but it's part of the deal. gaston was a waste. Unfortunately you have to recruit your way out of those problems and I think adding next year's class and the transfers will go a long way in that regard.A line up of
PG Mason/Dorsey
SG Coffey/McBrayer
Wing Buggs/Fitz/Hurt
PF Murphy/Curry/ Gaston
C Lynch/Konate
That's a good roster. It allows you to burry a guy like Gaston on the depth chart as long as there's no transfers.

I highly doubt Gaston will be back next year.

I agree. I'm all for giving Pitino another year but maybe a veteran assistant would be helpful.

Pitino had the perfect chance to bring in a veteran assistant when McHale left. He showed his immaturity and lack of self-confidence by not hiring someone who knows more than he does about coaching.

What happened to the "add to ignore list" button? This thread gives me a bunch of people to add to make this place a bit more enjoyable.

If only you could completely remove them, like eliminate the fact that when they posted to a thread it didn't bump it to the bottom and notify you someone posted, because no one actually did.

Admins:

Can you combine this thread with the Little Ricky can't coach thread?

It seems the comments are getting close to identical.

The Minnesota State University-Moorhead coach Walthall is making a name for himself nationally. Currently at 14-1 #4 in the nation (year before that 35-4 and elite 8 D2 appearance, year before that they were 21-8, year before that 19-11). I think Jones at UND gets fired after this year and they go after Walthall hard but Walthall may be waiting for NDSU...now obv if there was any interest from the U, he would jump on it...who wouldn't? Guy is younger (not old not young), recruits hard, gets the most out of his teams, and knows how to ****ing coach!

Top Bottom