Time to start looking fora new head coach

For some of the people who are calling for a firing, what would be your opinion if we win the rest of our nonconference games and get off to a 0.500 start in conference play? (plausible, I think, given our schedule) If we can beat Clemson, we can beat both the upcoming OSU's

Yes, the last couple of games have been bad, for whatever reason. But calling for Pitino's head is an overreaction at this point. Dorsey and Mason (and to a lesser extent, McBrayer) played well on Tuesday, and they're young.

Morris played poorly, and I suspect we'll start to see less of him and Konate and more of those 3. Firing Pitino with this freshman class, and the upcoming one, would be extremely irrational.

Bad losses were bound to happen and they will happen again. this is a YOUNG team!!! The bball IQ on this team is also very low.

Way to early......I will give him until next year before I even think about a firing.

Remember this is really only his second year of recruiting. first year he only reacted to what he had

You sad BAD LOSSES??? WE lost to South Dakota and South Dakota State that is more than bad losses. Losing to a bad Texas Tech team is a bad loss, but two straight to teams from the Summit league from South Dakota? That's much worse than a bad losses!

We are stuck with the little Pitino for this year and next year. I hope he gets it turned around next year. I love Gopher basketball. We cant fire or hire anyone we don't have an Athletic Director. I find it ironic that both our football team and or basketball team head coaches never played at the college level in their sport. Maybe the U would hire me to be their head surgeon. I read some books on surgery. I think I am qualified?

For some of the people who are calling for a firing, what would be your opinion if we win the rest of our nonconference games and get off to a 0.500 start in conference play? (plausible, I think, given our schedule) If we can beat Clemson, we can beat both the upcoming OSU's

Yes, the last couple of games have been bad, for whatever reason. But calling for Pitino's head is an overreaction at this point. Dorsey and Mason (and to a lesser extent, McBrayer) played well on Tuesday, and they're young.

Morris played poorly, and I suspect we'll start to see less of him and Konate and more of those 3. Firing Pitino with this freshman class, and the upcoming one, would be extremely irrational.

We'll see a lot more of Konate. He will be a big part of this team's future. Developing him is key and he has to get on the floor to do that.

I find it ironic that both our football team and or basketball team head coaches never played at the college level in their sport. Maybe the U would hire me to be their head surgeon. I read some books on surgery. I think I am qualified?

This is a poor argument. Many successful coaches never played at the college level or above.

Hired a name not a coach. Simply 31 year old coaches with 1 year experience do not belong in the big ten. Bad hire by a bad guy. As for recruits no player is worth the wrong coach. This is basketball not football rebuilds don't take as long. This is the lowest it has been in 10 years. Milwaukee prolly beats us. Your 3rd year is unacceptable. Ultimately he gets saved by not having an ad. My fear is that we fire himdng the non conference next year. Have a really good class coming in but I don't think it is a program changer in year 1.

Im not in the fire him camp yet but i do agree that rebuilds are quicker in basketball than football. Im not sure what the issue is right now. Has he lost the team already?. No motivation?

I look at Fran McCaffrey, Bo Ryan and John Beilein as the type of coach we should have looked for, someone that paid their dues working their way up through Div II, III and/or mid-majors. Someone with more than 1 year total head coaching experience. I think Teague was trying to look like a genius by hiring the next Shaka Smart.

I really, really hope Pitino can turn this thing around and this whole conversation becomes moot. If not, it is going to be 2-4 years of basketball hell.

Pitino isn't getting fired anytime soon. It's silly to be calling for that 9 games into his 3rd season. Question where the program is at? Sure, no problem with that. But pull the rug out from under him that quickly? Ridiculous. I'm disappointed where we're at in Year 3, but we have to give the guy a chance to succeed.

At the bare minimum he gets Year 3 and Year 4. If the program has any kind of a pulse or momentum after the 2016-17 season, I suspect he'll still be around (if he still wants to be here).

We are stuck with the little Pitino for this year and next year. I hope he gets it turned around next year. I love Gopher basketball. We cant fire or hire anyone we don't have an Athletic Director. I find it ironic that both our football team and or basketball team head coaches never played at the college level in their sport. Maybe the U would hire me to be their head surgeon. I read some books on surgery. I think I am qualified?
Kill played college football, grant it at either D2 or NAIA

Pitino isn't getting fired anytime soon. It's silly to be calling for that 9 games into his 3rd season. Question where the program is at? Sure, no problem with that. But pull the rug out from under him that quickly? Ridiculous. I'm disappointed where we're at in Year 3, but we have to give the guy a chance to succeed.

At the bare minimum he gets Year 3 and Year 4. If the program has any kind of a pulse or momentum after the 2016-17 season, I suspect he'll still be around (if he still wants to be here).

That's where I'm at.

You sad BAD LOSSES??? WE lost to South Dakota and South Dakota State that is more than bad losses. Losing to a bad Texas Tech team is a bad loss, but two straight to teams from the Summit league from South Dakota? That's much worse than a bad losses!

Losing to TT was a good loss considering their RPI that is 5th in the nation. Just to let you know;

I look at Fran McCaffrey, Bo Ryan and John Beilein as the type of coach we should have looked for, someone that paid their dues working their way up through Div II, III and/or mid-majors. Someone with more than 1 year total head coaching experience. I think Teague was trying to look like a genius by hiring the next Shaka Smart. I really, really hope Pitino can turn this thing around and this whole conversation becomes moot. If not, it is going to be 2-4 years of basketball hell.

The problem is. You list those guys, but look where they went. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. All had better recent history than the U when those coaches were hired.

That's what people seem to miss with this "let's get a guy with tons of experience, who's proven!" Like every school isn't trying to hire those guys. And like a lot of schools aren't better jobs than Minnesota.

Texas tech wasn't a bad loss. Don't even know if we were favored?

Texas tech wasn't a bad loss. Don't even know if we were favored?

Gophers were favored by 1 from what I could find online just now. Regardless, I think the larger point is that a loss to Texas Tech, with their recent resume, is usually going to be considered a bad loss by any high major program who feels like they are on solid footing with their head coach/direction of their program.

While I am pretty disappointed by what I have seen on the court this year, including beyond the scoreboard, I align closer to your line of thinking on Pitino. Hopefully, we will see a team that improves as the season moves forward.

The problem is. You list those guys, but look where they went. Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan. All had better recent history than the U when those coaches were hired.

That's what people seem to miss with this "let's get a guy with tons of experience, who's proven!" Like every school isn't trying to hire those guys. And like a lot of schools aren't better jobs than Minnesota.

Minnesota hired the "tons of experience, who's proven" guy in 2007-08.....when Iowa (4 straight years, no postseason) and Michigan (no NCAA from 1999-2008) also had job openings.

How about since pitino did well with tubby's guys he hire tubby to do the recruiting for him. Everyone would be happy then right?. Lol kidding only.

Exactly, if they finish last in Big12, then it will be a bad loss if the Goghers turn this thing around and have a shot at NIT??????

If we have a worse year than last year, as many people predicted (and even the most pollyanaish people only predicted us to match last year), we are not going to go to the NIT.

Also the lowest BIG team is probably worse than the Lowest Big 12 team in recent years. Texas tech will likely finish above TCU in the Big 12 at the very least. Also the South Dakota state game we were only favored by 2.5 points at game time I believe (i just found a different source witch had the line at 0). Losing like we did wasn't good, but the idea that we should have automatically won that game is ridiculous. That team isn't an easy out in a good year for us. Next year, however, if we were to lose to any of the Dakotas or Texas Tech I would be pissed off.

There is no point in getting worked up about CRP's job security here, he's on a minimum of two more years.

Minnesota isn't firing the wunderkind son of Rick Pitino at his first major conference job. On the same token, CRP can't leave Minnesota unless this team shows progress. He can't leave for a lower tier program to HC, and you don't willingly leave a head gig to be an assistant somewhere else.

I'm reasonably confident CRP will figure things out and get better as he goes - the B1G is a tough conference to earn your stripes in - but it is going to be a waiting game while he brings in his guys.

We aren't (shouldn't be) making moves without a permanent AD, so just settle in until we have a leader in the athletic department, and enjoy the basketball as much as you can while the young guys develop.

Just like Minnesota wouldn't fire a future Hall of Fame coach, right?

They'll absolutely fire him if he doesn't perform, just not after this year. Also to respond to West Coast Gopher I believe Ed De Chillis left Penn State to coach Navy, but if I had to guess he was getting out ahead of the firing squad on that one

There is no point in getting worked up about CRP's job security here, he's on a minimum of two more years.

You might change your mind if you were at the South Dakota State game, sparse crowd but it was the way the crowd was reacting to the game that was eye opening, it was as dead as a morgue in there the whole night, I don't think I have ever been to a quieter game at the barn than that game, a season like that and who knows.

Top Bottom