Time to start looking fora new head coach

you don't willingly leave a head gig to be an assistant somewhere else.

Jim Molinari disagrees. He left a head gig at Western Illinois for an assistant at Nebraska.

The rest of your post I agree with. The bottom line is the Gophers need Pitino and Pitino needs the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Jim Molinari disagrees. He left a head gig at Western Illinois for an assistant at Nebraska.

The rest of your post I agree with. The bottom line is the Gophers need Pitino and Pitino needs the Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

I should've qualified, a P5 HC job.

You're right - the coach we fired in 2013 had experience, accomplishments, and a team with a much better record than the current version.

Ultimately we are where we are, right?

Tubby isn't here, CRP is.

What is the best way forward? It is obvious that CRP is going to be staying around for a bit, for a number of aforementioned reasons.

Ultimately we are where we are, right?

Tubby isn't here, CRP is.

What is the best way forward? It is obvious that CRP is going to be staying around for a bit, for a number of aforementioned reasons.

I disagree. Finishing his 3rd season with somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 wins and 3-4 in the Big Ten (and a 3rd straight season each worse than the one before it) easily justifies a personnel change. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's not obvious that he's going to be staying around for a bit.

I disagree. Finishing his 3rd season with somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 wins and 3-4 in the Big Ten (and a 3rd straight season each worse than the one before it) easily justifies a personnel change. I'm not saying it will happen, but it's not obvious that he's going to be staying around for a bit.
He's pretty much secured himself for next year when Curry and Coffey committed. Unless something like Gangelgate or Madison rape case part deux happens he's not going anywhere. Next year a new AD will be able to evaluate the program, Pitino will need to deliver for a boss that will have no allegiance too him

Under normal circumstances with a permanent AD, I would totally agree with you.

CRP is 1. not a normal head coach, 2. we are not in a normal athletic department situation. Let me be clear, I'm not saying CRP is "extraordinary" or a budding prodigy, but to act like we wouldn't handle his employment here any differently than we would Coach Joe from wherever would be incorrect.

I've laid out why I think CRP's path looks like it does right now, and that likely means he'll be at the helm for at least another year, likely two.

Easily justifies =/= what is likely to happen.

I tend to agree that Pitino will not be fired after this season - UNLESS things turn really ugly at the Barn. If the Gophs are getting blown out every game in front of 5,000 silent - or booing - fans, it could change the equation. If they can at least show some improvement, or play moderately entertaining basketball, I suspect Pitino will get at least one more year to show what he can do.

But, the losses this season are definitely raising the stakes for next year. Assuming there is a new AD in place, who has no allegiance/ties to the Pitino clan, Rich is going to have to stand or fall based on his record.

I tend to agree that Pitino will not be fired after this season - UNLESS things turn really ugly at the Barn. If the Gophs are getting blown out every game in front of 5,000 silent - or booing - fans, it could change the equation. If they can at least show some improvement, or play moderately entertaining basketball, I suspect Pitino will get at least one more year to show what he can do.

Agree with this. It would have to get so bad beyond the overall record this season that Pitino doesn't get at least through the 2016-17 season. Unless he decides to jump ship on his own which also seems unlikely since he probably won't be on anyone's short list for job openings.

Agree with this. It would have to get so bad beyond the overall record this season that Pitino doesn't get at least through the 2016-17 season. Unless he decides to jump ship on his own which also seems unlikely since he probably won't be on anyone's short list for job openings.

Pitino's problem is managing the roster. He was left with nothing by Tubby, which is why Tubby got fired. Pitino did a great job finding people in the spring and summer to play. Since then, he has been a disaster managing the roster. You can't have three scholarship players not eligible to play at the same time. Junior college guys would have made much more sense. The two transfers will contribute but that's it...they aren't going to be mentioned for awards anywhere and they use up three years each or whatever it is...an extra year. Johnson's condition was well publicized...almost every other kid with the condition isn't allowed to play at other schools. Nice but not helpful. So, 2016-17 he'll have a full roster barring departures and more poor decisions and that season will determine his future here.

If Pitino's B1G record is "ohfer" then his job here will be over.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Pitino's problem is managing the roster. He was left with nothing by Tubby, which is why Tubby got fired. Pitino did a great job finding people in the spring and summer to play. Since then, he has been a disaster managing the roster. You can't have three scholarship players not eligible to play at the same time. Junior college guys would have made much more sense. The two transfers will contribute but that's it...they aren't going to be mentioned for awards anywhere and they use up three years each or whatever it is...an extra year. Johnson's condition was well publicized...almost every other kid with the condition isn't allowed to play at other schools. Nice but not helpful. So, 2016-17 he'll have a full roster barring departures and more poor decisions and that season will determine his future here.

Jucos make more sense if you want to win now and don't care about the future. Carlos Morris was a "win now" guy as was Matheiu. As long as this year was always going to be bad (which was the case with the # of seniors and previous JUCOS we signed) I am more than fine taking high potential transfers and having them sit one year and be better for next year.

If Pitino's B1G record is "ohfer" then his job here will be over.

Not with 5 or 6 new players coming on board, in my opinion. Also, seems unlikely Kaler approves the firing leaving us without a coach and an athletic director. July is not an optimal time to searching for basketball coaches as your first task as A.D. Not saying it's not possible but 0 and 18 won't get him fired in my opinion. Couple injuries and that's certainly a possible outcome... or 1 or 2 wins, what's the difference?

Jucos make more sense if you want to win now and don't care about the future. Carlos Morris was a "win now" guy as was Matheiu. As long as this year was always going to be bad (which was the case with the # of seniors and previous JUCOS we signed) I am more than fine taking high potential transfers and having them sit one year and be better for next year.

So, you are betting the two transfers contribute more than Mathieu as a junior and Carlos over both seasons? That "high potential" is based on Fitzgerald averaging 3.5ppg as a sophomore over 25 games? If Fitzgerald is better than Carlos cool... if he is not or equal...it cost us a contributor this year. Reggie Lynch fills a gaping hole on our roster and he was 10 and 5 at Illinois State, so there is hope there. But there are also worries about his quickness, fouling etc at a higher level. I just wouldn't have sacrificed 3 scholarships in one year. And I don't agree with the "high potential" of the transfers we have versus better junior college players.

Excellent excellent read but you have to remeber Martin was a giant giant miss. I just dont get the free pass he gets on this year. This is year 3 people, he recruited Mcneil, Martin, Lofton, etc a lot of this is his own mess..... h as the poster said they still are not going to be very good next year. Its a good class but I doubt it has a come in and dominant in big ten player in it pure conjecture but top 10-20 guys do that. I dont trust his player deveolpment very much either. Mason(albeit through 9 games), Morris(see previous), Eliason, Hollins, Matheiu, all were/have been worse players in year 2 with him. The fact of the matter is the program is at the lowest it has been in 10 years and might be even worse than that season. This is not football folks where you need 50 guys to contribute, this so for is a disaster of a season and every year he has been here the Gophers have gotten worse.

So, you are betting the two transfers contribute more than Mathieu as a junior and Carlos over both seasons? That "high potential" is based on Fitzgerald averaging 3.5ppg as a sophomore over 25 games? If Fitzgerald is better than Carlos cool... if he is not or equal...it cost us a contributor this year. Reggie Lynch fills a gaping hole on our roster and he was 10 and 5 at Illinois State, so there is hope there. But there are also worries about his quickness, fouling etc at a higher level. I just wouldn't have sacrificed 3 scholarships in one year. And I don't agree with the "high potential" of the transfers we have versus better junior college players.

Best thing about Gopherhole is...... no one ever jumps the gun.:rolleyes:

He didn't. He sacrificed 2 and the 3rd caught him and everyone else in Minnesota off guard when the Doctors said Jarvis couldn't play.

I think the Fitzgerald was based more on his averaging 7.3 pts and 2.1 ast as a freshmen in 16 minnutes per game. His sophomore stats are in 9.7 minutes per game. His per 40 stats in his freshmen season was better than everyone except Reggie Lynch(@Ill st), Jordan Murphy, and this years Joey King stats(this one actually being debatable). His per 40 stats sophomore season would be some of the best on the team this year as well with only Mason being added to the list above.

My evaluation is not based on this year alone. I had anticipated that the current team was not going to do well ... but certainly did not think they would lose to 2 S Dakota schools. Most everyone had forgotten last year's team had OK talent. Certainly sufficient to get an NIT bid talent-wise, but Pitino could not get them going. Remember Tim Brewster? Recruited some 4 star players, but never really produced results on the field. Not saying Pitino = Brewster, but Pitino has not impressed thus far. Tubby in the same time period has done better IMO ('tho admittedly, I am a small Tubby fan).

That's what I love about fans. They are calm, cool and collected at all times. :rolleyes:

My evaluation is not based on this year alone. I had anticipated that the current team was not going to do well ... but certainly did not think they would lose to 2 S Dakota schools. Most everyone had forgotten last year's team had OK talent. Certainly sufficient to get an NIT bid talent-wise, but Pitino could not get them going. Remember Tim Brewster? Recruited some 4 star players, but never really produced results on the field. Not saying Pitino = Brewster, but Pitino has not impressed thus far. Tubby in the same time period has done better IMO ('tho admittedly, I am a small Tubby fan).
The bottom line is.....
Gopher coaches who lose to SoDak & NoDak teams put their jobs in jeopardy.

Bump. Not opposed to starting a search immediately.

And the L's keep piling up. Even worse, OK St is NOT a good team (losing to Tulsa and Missouri St). I am afraid the Gophers might go almost winless in Big10 play this season. Let the search begin. We need someone with slightly more experience than Richard Pitino. I can't believe he got a raise this year after missing the NIT!!

No offense but I would take our last two years over Texas tech's and our incoming class over theirs

For a new coach, it is about the trajectory. Tubby has TT pointing in the right direction. Not sure if the Gophers are on a similar trajectory. As I recall, Brewster also had 4/5 star recruits in Marquis Gray, Hoya Carpenter, etc. And Dan Monson had some decent recruits as well. In the end, the results are just not there for Pitino. And next year will only be a little better, likely not good enough to reach NCAA. Time to cut the cord.

People who get paid million+ should not have the luxury of failing for more than a couple of years.

Things are going from bad to worse. How much longer are we going to stand for this? Richard Pitino looks to be in over his head.

If they did make a change, the cheap U would need to go all-in and pay whatever it takes to get Ben Jacobson from Northern Iowa. They won't though if they do make a change

Top Bottom