Time to start looking fora new head coach

I wish the Gophers were winning and Pitino was the coach leading the winning squad but they're not. And he's not. These boys aren't simply losing by a couple of baskets - they're getting blown out. I haven't posted much lately but I've been around reading GH. After yet another blowout the tide has turned. Before last night I think the majority of folks were in the "give him one more year" camp but after the game last night I think the majority of fans have decided Coach Pitino isn't the man for the job. This team has given up on him and so have the fans. There will still be a few who will fight to the death that he should be given more time but at the end of the day they'll be very lonely.

I haven't given up on him. Knew this would be tough year and I'm not budging on my opinion he should get at least next year. Loneliness is a state of mind. I'll be fine.

This is a rare instance where keeping a guy an extra year when things look bleak is actually the right move. Unlike the Mason and Monson decisions which were made at least one year too late and resulted in one or two more questionable recruiting classes to further dilute the roster for the next guy, Pitino would actually be leaving a better roster after 2016-17 than he would after this season. I'd rather look for a new coach after next year with a Coffey/Curry/Hurt/Murphy/Mason/possibly others depending on development roster and being one year closer to a practice facility being a reality than make a move after this year. I could be wrong, but I think the job is more attractive in ~15 months than it will be in 3.

+1. This whole part but especially the last bit

I love how "had to play Andre Hollins at PG" (you know, the guy who was All-Conference at PG) has now become a bad thing. It's truly amazing the garbage that gets spread around this place.
Poor choice of wording, A better way to put would be Andre was all we had a PG and IMO he played his best ball the first half of his Junior season Pre Gassner stepping on his foot. He never seemed like the same player after he came back from that

With all due respect, that logic is kind of absurd (but don't feel bad; you're not the only one who espouses it). An interim AD just hired a football coach at Pitt during the last couple of years. I'm sure one could find other examples although there aren't a lot of interim ADs at any given point.

Some ambitious mid-major coach with the chance possibly to triple his compensation and have access to much higher levels of exposure and recruiting ranks isn't going to refuse an opportunity simply because there isn't a "permanent" AD in place. And the last thing a newly hired "permanent" AD is going to do is try to do is stir up a bunch of sh!t to get a coach who is performing adequately fired so he can hire his guy. Perhaps Teague did some of this but subsequent history has shown that he was a man of very poor discretion.

If you are a good and successful coach, the AD is almost irrelevant. If you are an unsatisfactory coach, the ADs is also irrelevant because you're going to get fired eventually no matter who is in the job. Hiring and firing coaches is a very small part of an AD's job. Mostly they are business managers. Some ex-jocks and coaches are ADs but a lot of ADs are more like executive types.
Pitt didn't fire Paul Chryst he left to take a better job, Interim or not can't sit around with your dick in your hand while no body leads the football program. Somebody had to make the hire. I just don't think in our scenario you want the interim boss to do anything that would potentially make the job less appealing. Not to mention as we get closer to the facilities being built and once the new AD beth or otherwise is hired this job will be much more appealing a year or two from now if Pitino can't right the ship. Besides I would fix hockey first, atleast hoops has a recruiting class to be optimistic about, there's nothing to be excited about at Mariucci. Pride on Ice needs a serious culture change

Because some fancy themselves a hero and much like the captain of the Titanic they will go down with the ship.

I'll say this for like the 10th time, saying that Pitino should get another year does not mean I think he is doing a good job or should get a 20 year extension. You continue to post like people are saying that. Most everyone I've seen has said next year is the year and if things don't improve dramatically then he should be gone.

You and few have given up on Pitino. That is fine and I completely understand that. But just because others aren't ready to pull the plug quite yet doesn't mean they are happy or content either.

I would give Coach P. next season, assuming no major defections. I'll settle for 8-9 BIG wins and a NIT run to earn him year 5.

Because some fancy themselves a hero and much like the captain of the Titanic they will go down with the ship.

Grasshopper, some high school kids come to this board because they don't get enough attention at home and from teacher.

I would give Coach P. next season, assuming no major defections. I'll settle for 8-9 BIG wins and a NIT run to earn him year 5.

I guess that is three of us. I'm right with you.

Accomplishes nothing to fire him right now. If the decision has been made to move on, the "interim coach route" isn't logical, imo, because the next coach isn't on the staff now. Evaluate at the end of the year. However, barring major defections or a complete loss of the players, I'd give him year four. Year four would have a much higher set of expectations though.

Good grief we set the bar low at the U. As long as he gets the Gophers to the NIT we'll give him yet another year. No wonder Wisky laughs at us when we pretend to be their rival. It's never a rival when one team owns the other year after year. Embarrassing. This actually helps me understand where you guys are coming from. I want and expect great things with our sports programs but perhaps I would be much more content and happy if I set the bar and expectations as low as possible as some of you on here do. Extend his contract with an NIT run next season. Wow. With these great recruits coming in? OK.

Good grief we set the bar low at the U. As long as he gets the Gophers to the NIT we'll give him yet another year. No wonder Wisky laughs at us when we pretend to be their rival. It's never a rival when one team owns the other year after year. Embarrassing. This actually helps me understand where you guys are coming from. I want and expect great things with our sports programs but perhaps I would be much more content and happy if I set the bar and expectations as low as possible as some of you on here do. Extend his contract with an NIT run next season. Wow. With these great recruits coming in? OK.

Grasshopper, we know exactly where you're coming from. Why not come back when you learn to shave and have you're first magical moment with the opposite sex?

Overall I agree. But I am young so perhaps my mindset will change over the course of my life as a Gopher fan.

Grasshopper, we know exactly where you're coming from. Why not come back when you learn to shave and have you're first magical moment with the opposite sex?

What's wrong, howie? Can't handle anyone questioning your life in lala land of magical rainbows and mystical unicorns? YOU'RE what's wrong with Gopher nation. Simply content with the status quo, never rocking the boat, and happy with setting the bar as low as possible. It's cool, howie. You were probably raised in Minnesota so that's how things are done here. Extending contracts for an NIT run. As long as he gets 3 wins in Big Ten play next season, I think we should rename the court inside Williams to Pitino Court.

What's wrong, howie? Can't handle anyone questioning your life in lala land of magical rainbows and mystical unicorns? YOU'RE what's wrong with Gopher nation. Simply content with the status quo, never rocking the boat, and happy with setting the bar as low as possible. It's cool, howie. You were probably raised in Minnesota so that's how things are done here. Extending contracts for an NIT run. As long as he gets 3 wins in Big Ten play next season, I think we should rename the court inside Williams to Pitino Court.

Maybe if Howie and the rest of us stormed Goetz's offense shed fire him! Is that you're expectation? We could write nasty letters, and post mean things on message boards! There you go! Now you're making a difference! Way to take a stand and be a champion against mediocrity. I vote every coach gets one year. If they don't make the tourney. Fire them. Then do the same with the next coach. Over and over until you find one who does. That's how you defeat losing and snatch your program from the jaws of mediocrity. Thank you Gopher2017 for your loyal service. The madder you get the more you get your way, kick, scream, cry. The world will bend to your will! Way to be a champion for success!

This is a rare instance where keeping a guy an extra year when things look bleak is actually the right move. Unlike the Mason and Monson decisions which were made at least one year too late and resulted in one or two more questionable recruiting classes to further dilute the roster for the next guy, Pitino would actually be leaving a better roster after 2016-17 than he would after this season. I'd rather look for a new coach after next year with a Coffey/Curry/Hurt/Murphy/Mason/possibly others depending on development roster and being one year closer to a practice facility being a reality than make a move after this year. I could be wrong, but I think the job is more attractive in ~15 months than it will be in 3.

There is some validity to this, but with the frequency with which guys transfer, I think it's over-rated. There's nothing to stop Curry, Coffee or even Mason from transferring (or perhaps leaving early in Coffee's case) a year from now. Likewise, it's not a huge stretch to think a new coach could keep Coffee and Hurt in the fold. The roster will probably be in better shape if we wait 15 months. But how much better and is it worth the additional delay?

I think the question is this: If we improve to 7-11 next year and make the NIT, is that enough for you to support Pitino getting year 5? Because that's probably all that is realistic. And if that's not good enough, than you're basically saying he's a dead coach walking for the next year. That's not good for anyone.

Maybe if Howie and the rest of us stormed Goetz's offense shed fire him! Is that you're expectation? We could write nasty letters, and post mean things on message boards! There you go! Now you're making a difference! Way to take a stand and be a champion against mediocrity. I vote every coach gets one year. If they don't make the tourney. Fire them. Then do the same with the next coach. Over and over until you find one who does. That's how you defeat losing and snatch your program from the jaws of mediocrity. Thank you Gopher2017 for your loyal service. The madder you get the more you get your way, kick, scream, cry. The world will bend to your will! Way to be a champion for success!

To be fair, Gopher2017 did offer a real, tangible solution to the U's bb problem: "let the adults handle it"...or something.

My apologies scher215 for expecting better from the Gophers and not only expecting better but demanding better. I guess I could sit back and accept the crap that is played a couple of times a week on the court like so many of you. I guess those of us who expect and demand better are the problem while those of you who want to extend contracts for an NIT run is what's right in the world. Congrats - you set the bar so low and you get what you get. You'll wet yourself from excitement if the Gophers ever go to the NCAA tournament.

My apologies scher215 for expecting better from the Gophers and not only expecting better but demanding better. I guess I could sit back and accept the crap that is played a couple of times a week on the court like so many of you. I guess those of us who expect and demand better are the problem while those of you who want to extend contracts for an NIT run is what's right in the world. Congrats - you set the bar so low and you get what you get. You'll wet yourself from excitement if the Gophers ever go to the NCAA tournament.

I'll wet myself, but it wont be from excitement.

WHERE MY COUNTRY GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does that even mean?

So you are on record saying we should fire Pitino now and replace him with whom? Jim Peterson? How long is Jim's leash? He needs to win x games or we will demand he gets fired too? x = what?

What does that even mean? So you are on record saying we should fire Pitino now and replace him with whom? Jim Peterson? How long is Jim's leash? He needs to win x games or we will demand he gets fired too? x = what?

And how exactly do you "demand" that? You can stop going to games, donating, etc. that's a good way to demand it and have your voice heard. Maybe drop an email simply stating I won't be attending games or providing money to the school as long as Richard is coach. All effective methods for enacting change. Use your wallet.

But posting on a message board berating those who "accept mediocrity". I mean, great plan I guess? I suppose that could work? Maybe Goetz will say in her firing press conference, "the angry posts of Gopher2017 is really what made this happen. I check Gopherholers frequently and his demanding for success was really all the convincing I needed to make a move"

My apologies scher215 for expecting better from the Gophers and not only expecting better but demanding better.

at this point i'd be happy if the U's basketball program could just eliminate self immolation

I think the question is this: If we improve to 7-11 next year and make the NIT, is that enough for you to support Pitino getting year 5? Because that's probably all that is realistic. And if that's not good enough, than you're basically saying he's a dead coach walking for the next year. That's not good for anyone.

I agree with your last statement and, if he is a dead man walking, I think it would be better to pull the plug at the end of this season. I will say that although I've been a strong critic of Pitino, a 7-11 Big Ten record next year with an NIT trip would probably be good enough for me to say that he deserved a 5th year considering how much of an improvement that would be given the current expectations for the final results of this season.

Assuming he is given a 4th year, I don't know if he is a dead man walking yet. The odds of that will improve greatly if a couple of underclassmen who are considered significant future players transfer and someone like Coffey reneges on his verbal commitment. Todd Lickliter had four players (including two starters) transfer after his second year and lost one commit. Although no one was saying it at the time, he was a dead man walking after that because he had almost no hope of making the kind of improvement in year 3 he needed to be retained.

I know you probably won't answer this because you don't have an answer, but what specifically are you doing to "demand better"? You continue to post like you're doing something to make a difference so please let us all know what to do so the Gophers can get this turned around.

You keep saying that everyone else is in some lala land yet you act like your posts and attitude is going to make some kind of difference.

In his first 3 years at Duke, Coach K was 38-47. I suppose some fans were calling for his head! They are probably glad they didn't succeed. Pitino has some promising players joining the program next year. He should be given the chance to see what he can do with them. Now, if we can get Coach K to come here I might change my mind!

Ultimately, I think it comes down to this:

Is Pitino part of the problem, or

Is Pitino part of the solution?

The pro-Pitino argument: this is really his first year with his own players. The previous coach didn't leave him much, and Pitino was forced to patch together a roster with projects and spring recruits. He has two transfers and a well-regarded recruiting class coming in next year, and deserves time to fully implement his system with his players and see what he can accomplish. This year may look bad, but Pitino is laying a foundation for a much stronger team in the future.

The anti-Pitino argument: he inherited some decent talent from the Previous coach, and won the NIT championship. The team's record has regressed the last two seasons. Pitino has mis-managed the roster by recruiting two big men who weren't ready to play D1 BB, and accepted two transfer students for next year, leaving this year's team short-handed and undersized. His current team doesn't hustle or play defense - which reflects directly on his coaching.

Where do I sit? I think many people (including the former AD) severely underestimated the learning curve for a coach with 1 year of D1 experience moving into a major conference for the first time. I think some of the problems can be chalked up to inexperience. But, I'm not going to give Pitino a pass on how this team is playing. Hustle and effort should be expected - not optional.

Bottom line - I don't think Pitino should be- or will be - fired after this season. But, if next year's team looks as bad as this year's team, then I would have no problem with Goetz or some unnamed future AD pulling the plug after next season.

I know you probably won't answer this because you don't have an answer, but what specifically are you doing to "demand better"? You continue to post like you're doing something to make a difference so please let us all know what to do so the Gophers can get this turned around.

You keep saying that everyone else is in some lala land yet you act like your posts and attitude is going to make some kind of difference.

I've stopped going to games, I'm no longer a basketball season ticket holder (technically I am but we're not going to games and will not renew the next season either if the U doesn't do something), I've voiced my concern to the people who matter at the U, and I've withdrawn my donations. I know most of you assume I'm younger than I am and I've allowed you to believe that all the while smiling and laughing (you know what they say about assuming...); so yes, I've done what I needed to do. You and a few others have continually asked what I was doing to make my voice heard and I continually ignored you because what I do is none of your concern but if people can come to this board and state how Pitino should be given another year, then those of us who say he needs to go at the end of the season can do the same.

Next.

I've stopped going to games, I'm no longer a basketball season ticket holder (technically I am but we're not going to games and will not renew the next season either if the U doesn't do something), I've voiced my concern to the people who matter at the U, and I've withdrawn my donations. I know most of you assume I'm younger than I am and I've allowed you to believe that all the while smiling and laughing (you know what they say about assuming...); so yes, I've done what I needed to do. You and a few others have continually asked what I was doing to make my voice heard and I continually ignored you because what I do is none of your concern but if people can come to this board and state how Pitino should be given another year, then those of us who say he needs to go at the end of the season can do the same.

Next.
I think in your case it would be better for you for us to believe that your younger. Hopefully your selling your tickets, otherwise your just leaving money on the table.

Top Bottom