Time to start looking fora new head coach

I've stopped going to games, I'm no longer a basketball season ticket holder (technically I am but we're not going to games and will not renew the next season either if the U doesn't do something), I've voiced my concern to the people who matter at the U, and I've withdrawn my donations. I know most of you assume I'm younger than I am and I've allowed you to believe that all the while smiling and laughing (you know what they say about assuming...); so yes, I've done what I needed to do. You and a few others have continually asked what I was doing to make my voice heard and I continually ignored you because what I do is none of your concern but if people can come to this board and state how Pitino should be given another year, then those of us who say he needs to go at the end of the season can do the same.

Next.

Appreciate the candor. One more question. Who are the people that matter at the U you've voiced your concerns to?

Kaler?

Board of Regents?

Goetz?

Associate AD(s)?

Pitino or one of his assistants?

Sid Hartman (he might as well be a U employee)?

Any of the above, or others?

I think in your case it would be better for you for us to believe that your younger. Hopefully your selling your tickets, otherwise your just leaving money on the table.

And why is that? I couldn't give my tickets away. Honestly. Look around Williams the next time you're at the game. It's not as if there's a high demand for tickets. It's so empty it echos in that building while a "game" is being played.

And it's "you're", not "your".

Appreciate the candor. One more question. Who are the people that matter at the U you've voiced your concerns to?

Kaler?

Board of Regents?

Goetz?

Associate AD(s)?

Pitino or one of his assistants?

Sid Hartman (he might as well be a U employee)?

Any of the above, or others?

You're correct on some and incorrect on others. I was able to figure out who to speak with so if you feel the need to contact individuals at the U to tell them how much you support Pitino and how they should give him an extension should he take the team to the NIT next season, then you too can figure out who to speak with. While you're at it, be sure and tell them to ignore the loss in revenue this season.

And why is that? I couldn't give my tickets away. Honestly. Look around the stadium the next time you're at the game. It's not as if there's a high demand for tickets. It's so empty it echos in that building while a "game" is being played. And it's "you're", not "your".

Well great! Now that you've done everything to voice and show your displeasure with the U of M basketball program. Feel free to stop being an insufferable angry person on Gopherhole any time now.

Well great! Now that you've done everything to voice and show your displeasure with the U of M basketball program. Feel free to stop being an insufferable angry person on Gopherhole any time now.

My apologies for calling a spade a spade regarding Pitino. Like I said, I suspect he's a great guy and most likely a good Florida Atlantic coach but he's certainly no Big Ten coach...no matter how much you want him to be.

Ticket sales are going to be the decision maker, this season is a cluster you know what already, if the perception is that next years sales are not going to be any better it might force a decision, I think gradual improvement the rest of the season is going to be the key, continued 25 point losses to teams like Nebraska may seal the deal.

My concern this year is that the defense has been so bad but I can't help feeling that effort and fundamentals should be able to counter some of the lack of talent but so far that hasn't been the case, how much improvement will we see with an uptick in talent, nothing I've seen so far suggests there will be an improvement. The NIT was won on the backs of Tubby's talent, Mathieu was a big add but Austin Hollins, Andre Hollins, and the centers were the mainstay of that team and provided the defensive leadership.

I've stopped going to games, I'm no longer a basketball season ticket holder (technically I am but we're not going to games and will not renew the next season either if the U doesn't do something),

Just 'cuz I'm dense....

From the 2013-14 season...

As it stands now, if the only tickets I can get are in the upper-level, I decline and watch the game on TV instead.

You didn't have season tickets two years ago? Purchased them last year and this year and quit going this year?

I would give Coach P. next season, assuming no major defections. I'll settle for 8-9 BIG wins and a NIT run to earn him year 5.
I'm not sure an NIT run is good enough. I would only say yes, if we were an NCAA bubble team that didn't quite make it. But, we would have to barely miss the dance for me to be okay with another year.

Just 'cuz I'm dense....

You didn't have season tickets two years ago? Purchased them last year and this year and quit going this year?

Good sh!t right there.

Was probably his lil **** of a kid that was posting on his name.... Damn whipper snappers.

He must be given next year but NIT is not good enough. Special coaches get to the NCAA tourney no matter where they coach.

I've stopped going to games, I'm no longer a basketball season ticket holder (technically I am but we're not going to games and will not renew the next season either if the U doesn't do something), I've voiced my concern to the people who matter at the U, and I've withdrawn my donations. I know most of you assume I'm younger than I am and I've allowed you to believe that all the while smiling and laughing (you know what they say about assuming...); so yes, I've done what I needed to do. You and a few others have continually asked what I was doing to make my voice heard and I continually ignored you because what I do is none of your concern but if people can come to this board and state how Pitino should be given another year, then those of us who say he needs to go at the end of the season can do the same. Next.

Thank goodness. You're probably the jerk that always tells me to sit down when I stand and act like a real fan. Good riddance.

Just 'cuz I'm dense....

Just when you think you have something on me; nope, you really are just dense.

We have 6 season tickets that we share amongst friends and have for several years. There were some games in the past where if all of us wanted to go, we would try and purchase tickets throughout the arena. If the only seats were obstructed then I would simply watch from home. The person(s) who had to sit in other areas of the arena and not in the season ticket seats were determined by who’s game it was (we trade off game by game).

And before you ask, none of the 6 of us has been to a game since the USD game.

Thank goodness. You're probably the jerk that always tells me to sit down when I stand and act like a real fan. Good riddance.

Couldn't be more wrong. I'm the one who wants to stand (football and basketball). I think Williams Arena could be a more daunting place to play if TPTB shifted the alumni seating to one side of the lower tier (preferably the side under the television camera) and opened up the other three sides (the two ends plus the side facing the television cameras) to students. Of course, students would actually have to attend the games, which over the years has been a daunting task. With that said, the team would have to start winning to even remotely interest the majority of the students. It’s a vicious cycle.

Couldn't be more wrong. I'm the one who wants to stand (football and basketball). I think Williams Arena could be a more daunting place to play if TPTB shifted the alumni seating to one side of the lower tier (preferably the side under the television camera) and opened up the other three sides (the two ends plus the side facing the television cameras) to students. Of course, students would actually have to attend the games, which over the years has been a daunting task. With that said, the team would have to start winning to even remotely interest the majority of the students. It’s a vicious cycle.

it's easy to be whatever you need to be to win an argument on the internet(not saying you're lying just saying). As for Pitino getting another year? Billy Donovan believes in him and that is good enough for me to give him 4 years before making any decisions.

Just when you think you have something on me; nope, you really are just dense.

We have 6 season tickets that we share amongst friends and have for several years. There were some games in the past where if all of us wanted to go, we would try and purchase tickets throughout the arena. If the only seats were obstructed then I would simply watch from home. The person(s) who had to sit in other areas of the arena and not in the season ticket seats were determined by who’s game it was (we trade off game by game).

And before you ask, none of the 6 of us has been to a game since the USD game.
The first sentence is why it would be better for us to assume you're younger. Don't change though with the way this season's going I need a good laugh on this board.

Ticket sales are going to be the decision maker, this season is a cluster you know what already, if the perception is that next years sales are not going to be any better it might force a decision, I think gradual improvement the rest of the season is going to be the key, continued 25 point losses to teams like Nebraska may seal the deal.

My concern this year is that the defense has been so bad but I can't help feeling that effort and fundamentals should be able to counter some of the lack of talent but so far that hasn't been the case, how much improvement will we see with an uptick in talent, nothing I've seen so far suggests there will be an improvement. The NIT was won on the backs of Tubby's talent, Mathieu was a big add but Austin Hollins, Andre Hollins, and the centers were the mainstay of that team and provided the defensive leadership.

Fortunately for the U they have a pretty good home schedule. Maryland, IU, Michigan, Wisconsin and Purdue all look to be NCAA teams. Rutgers will be a tough sell, Illinois is a Saturday night so they should do fairly will in Ticket sales the rest of the year. IU and Michigan travel well.isconsin has a lot of alumni in the area. Maryland a Top Ten team. I would imagine the non conference slate won't be very good next season. Although we could get a Big East team in the Gavitt challenge. If they start the year hot the fans will come back. Winning will take care of that issue next year, but if they start poorly it will get ugly

He must be given next year but NIT is not good enough. Special coaches get to the NCAA tourney no matter where they coach.

In that case, I think we need a special request of SS: When is the last time a B1g team went from 0 to 2 conference wins to the NCAA tournament in one year? I'd wager it's never happened. So Pitino is here after 2017 only if he does something that's probably never been done in the history of the conference?

I would imagine the non conference slate won't be very good next season.

Agree.

Pitino has already said he doesn't like exempt tournaments with 3 games in 3 or 4 days (i.e. Maui, Puerto Rico, Wooden, Orlando), so I'd expect he'll schedule one of those exempt 4-game events where you play 3 cupcakes at home and 1 neutral-site game vs. a decent opponent. Pitino's papa likes to do that @ Louisville, as does Matta @ OSU.

It's pretty much a given with the kind of season Pitino is having in Year 3 that next year's schedule will be especially soft. He'll schedule to get a NIT bid (like Northwestern & Marquette did this year), and considering the scorching hot seat he'll be on next November, I'll cut him some slack for it. He knows he needs lots of Ws in November and December, so it's gonna' be the ACC Challenge opponent, probably a decent neutral-siter, then maybe the Big East opponent (if we get one), and that'll be about it.

My apologies for calling a spade a spade regarding Pitino. Like I said, I suspect he's a great guy and most likely a good Florida Atlantic coach but he's certainly no Big Ten coach...no matter how much you want him to be.

Look, you have every right to be angry. The team and Pitino have been brutal this year. My only "beef" is attacking others for not being as angry as you like it matters. Different people have different expectations. And sure we'd all like to be better. But saying the reason the Gophers suck is because not everyone is as angry and demanding and passionate on a message board as you are is really old.

My apologies scher215 for expecting better from the Gophers and not only expecting better but demanding better. I guess I could sit back and accept the crap that is played a couple of times a week on the court like so many of you. I guess those of us who expect and demand better are the problem while those of you who want to extend contracts for an NIT run is what's right in the world. Congrats - you set the bar so low and you get what you get. You'll wet yourself from excitement if the Gophers ever go to the NCAA tournament.
We have to realize that it is not a crime to have high expectations for our team. We have no reason to tarnish the unbridled thrill of cheering for a group of people who represent your school in any activity or competition.

I started my freshman year as a Gopher in 1981. I looked forward to cheering for Gopher sports teams. My initial preference was for Football. That was painful since this was when that program was entering its' darkest era. I was a student season ticket holder for all five years that I was in school.

I sat through some depressingly bad games in the Dome, most notably beatings by Illinois and Nebraska, in the belief that being there and being there until the end of every game mattered. This was where I began to understand there was a difference between what I wanted for Gopher Sports (National Championships all around) and what I expected Gopher Sports to perform like that season (Not embarrassingly bad performances).

This basketball team has, in my opinion, moved so far away from a Fan's Wanted Expectation of a National Championship that they have now blocked that dream by getting us to lower our expectations to "I'll be happy if the don't play embarrassingly bad."

This continued lowering of what fans want out of their teams and what they will tolerate out of their team's performance is why this season is so alarming. Fans want the sweet taste of championships, but are settling for the bitter taste of sub-mediocrity.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sitting at your computer and whining on a message board is what amounts to "demanding better"?

I've stopped going to games, I'm no longer a basketball season ticket holder (technically I am but we're not going to games and will not renew the next season either if the U doesn't do something), I've voiced my concern to the people who matter at the U, and I've withdrawn my donations. I know most of you assume I'm younger than I am and I've allowed you to believe that all the while smiling and laughing (you know what they say about assuming...); so yes, I've done what I needed to do. You and a few others have continually asked what I was doing to make my voice heard and I continually ignored you because what I do is none of your concern but if people can come to this board and state how Pitino should be given another year, then those of us who say he needs to go at the end of the season can do the same.

Next.

Great, keep doing those things if you feel they will make a difference. Not everyone is going to choose to stop supporting the program even when it is this low. About the only thing I could do is voice my concern with those in charge via email. Would that make a difference in my opinion? No.

Either way, it still comes down to the fact that you think anyone that disagrees at all with you means they are happy with mediocrity and think Pitino should get a big extension. I don't know why it is so hard for some people to realize that you can think Pitino should probably get another year and still be extremely unhappy and concerned right now.

We have to realize that it is not a crime to have high expectations for our team.

People also need to realize that just because not everyone thinks Pitino should be fired right now doesn't mean they don't have high expectations. Many of the same people here saying he should be given next year were also okay with the Tubby Smith firing. I'm in that boat. I feel like we should be able to be better than what Tubby brought in his six seasons. If very little changes with Pitino next year, then it is time to move on with him as well.

People also need to realize that just because not everyone thinks Pitino should be fired right now doesn't mean they don't have high expectations. Many of the same people here saying he should be given next year were also okay with the Tubby Smith firing. I'm in that boat. I feel like we should be able to be better than what Tubby brought in his six seasons. If very little changes with Pitino next year, then it is time to move on with him as well.
I, too, was okay with Tubby being fired, however I can not see keeping Pitino as anything other than a continued rachetting down of expectations. It's like having a scoop of manure in one hand and whispering "you'll get something better than that" to the other hand which is empty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

In that case, I think we need a special request of SS: When is the last time a B1g team went from 0 to 2 conference wins to the NCAA tournament in one year? I'd wager it's never happened. So Pitino is here after 2017 only if he does something that's probably never been done in the history of the conference?

Ohio State went from 1 conference win to 12 (1997/98, 1998/99), but i think some of the 12 wins were vacated

we did something similar in football (last in Bigten '59, first '60). its BBall's turn to do some magic.

Purdue wasn't quite as bad as our current gophers in 2013-2014 getting five wins, then following that up last year with 12 wins
(from last place to tied for 3rd - I'd be okay if the Gophers pull this off)

btw, didn't Gillispie do this a couple of times?

on the football turnaround, it made someone's list:
http://www.thesportsseer.com/2014/0...ne-season-turnarounds-in-team-sports-history/

And why is that? I couldn't give my tickets away. Honestly. Look around Williams the next time you're at the game. It's not as if there's a high demand for tickets. It's so empty it echos in that building while a "game" is being played. And it's "you're", not "your".

I'll take the tickets. My kids would have a blast. We enjoy having fun.

Pitino's buyout is close to $7 million according to Doogie. So everybody better get used to the idea of Pitino being back next year.

Pitino's buyout is close to $7 million according to Doogie. So everybody better get used to the idea of Pitino being back next year.

ahh, caught my error: in 3.2.1 "for the remainder of Term of employment". guess that means through the extension

xxxnot sure where that's coming from. section 3.2.1 of his employment contract wasn't changed in the new amendment. should still be a little over $1M

amendment:
http://stmedia.startribune.com/documents/Pitino+amendment+8-25-15.pdf

original contract:
http://deadspin.com/heres-richard-pitinos-minnesota-contract-complete-wi-470877141

That contract was drawn up by a fool. There are a hundred better coaches that do not have that. That is the highest buyout i have ever heard of for a college basketball coach.

Top Bottom